• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

(Newbie) Where to Start Camino?

kriscaj

Hello everyone I am not sure if this forum is also for newbies like me I was wondering if anybody can try to help me see where I can start the Camino?

I have heard that there is no starting point but I do have three weeks off work and I would like to spend at least 10-12 days walking the Camino let's say I walked 20 to 25 km a day where should my starting point be? What is the halfway I could walk it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I am travelling alone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ponferrada to Santiago takes about 9 days. Leon takes about 14 days. In between is Astorga, which will take about 12 days. You can get to all three places on buses from Madrid.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
How many kms/ miles was it from Pamplona to santiago?

How many days did it take you?
Is it true that accommodations in Pamplona are difficult for pilgrims?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
How many kms/ miles was it from Pamplona to santiago?
How many days did it take you?
Is it true that accommodations in Pamplona are difficult for pilgrims?
It is 708km. It normally takes 30 to 32 days. Accommodations are plentiful except during the Sanfermines festival.

So the Camino Frances is the more popular one based from the forums and I am curious as to why not a lot of pilgrims do the Camino portugese? Or is it relatively the same amount of pilgrims.

Is scenery more beautiful taking the frances?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am going by trike because I have bad feet and poor balance and would not be able to walk the whole way. I have maps that show roads near el camino in case I cannot get through on my trike. I plan to ride about 15 km/10 miles a day. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia but when I told my doctor my plan, he got excited and said we would team together to get me ready.

I spent a weekend in Pamplona during the running of the bulls in college. We had a car accident on the way back to Salamanca and I spent a week in hospital in Burgos. I am going back with a renewed frame of mind 41 years later. Definitely a spiritual journey.

It wasn't on my radar to go back but a series of events has drawn me.

Marian

Kriscaj. Both Ponferrada and Leon are great places to start as Falcon said. Just plan that the first few days might take longer than you planned unless you have done the Camino before. No amount of training can get you ready for it. but it's so worth it. :) We spent a few hours exploring the Castle in Ponferrada too that took a bit of our time. If you start there try to visit if you like the Templar's history.
Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So the Camino Frances is the more popular one based from the forums and I am curious as to why not a lot of pilgrims do the Camino portugese? Or is it relatively the same amount of pilgrims.

Camino Frances is traditionally a more popular route because most of the camino routes in Europe converge into it at Saint Jean Pied de Port in France. As a result of being more popular it is more famous and better supported with amenities oriented to pilgrims.

Routes like Camino Portugese have a lot to offer and because they aren't so popular they aren't so crowded either. So its a trade off ... factors are if you want to meet people or if you want time to yourself ... other factors are transportation access and amenities such as albergues.

A big factor for me is language. I have enough Spanish to get by. I have no facility with Portugese. A lot of people find language isn't an obstacle and usually there is someone to translate.

Hmm that is something to think about... I am leaning toward the Camino Portugese now, and I googled it, it is a walk with more solitude and is exactlh what i would prefer to bs honest. Thank you, useful info.

Hmm that is something to think about... I am leaning toward the Camino Portugese now, and I googled it, it is a walk with more solitude and is exactlh what i would prefer to bs honest. Thank you, useful info.
I'm off to do the Portugues in late Sept. Have done the Del Norte and found that one rewarding and peaceful but also enough people not to be by yourself if you choose.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think I will do the same, I have decided... Another question, i have tried to look this up but maybe I can get some info... Where can I buy the pilgrim passport? Will it be available only in Spain?

I think I will do the same, I have decided... Another question, i have tried to look this up but maybe I can get some info... Where can I buy the pilgrim passport? Will it be available only in Spain?

You can buy the passport from here there is a link at the top.

I ordered mine this way as one less thing to worry about when I get there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hola Kriscaj - and welcome to the forum. How far you walk is up to you, provided that you must walk at least the last 100 km into Santiago to qualify for your Compostela (the Cathedral Certificate). After that it then depends upon how much time you and how fit you are. So if time is not a factor then you can start in St Jean, but from all the reports I have read Burgos (where El Cid is berried) or Leon will still provide you with a "Camino experience". So read through all the replies you will get and determine when you want to start and off you go. Buen Camino;):):rolleyes:

Thank you for your input on this-- i do want that camino experience and I am contemplating on starting at Porto actually, I have read that Camino Portugese is more spiritual generally ... So I am looking into that.

If you are looking for more solitude than the Camino Frances, you might also take a look at the Camino Primitivo (from Oviedo) or the Ingles. I've walked the Primitivo (the Ingles, not yet), and it is a beautiful journey. There are separate areas on this Forum for information about the other routes less traveled.
Buen camino.
Dan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will deifinitely look into that too, thank you so much. i am giving myself about 10-14 days for walking the rest I would like to see Europe, never been there before. But yeah, I will browse through forums here and look into that primitivo. Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
25km X 12 days = 300 km.

that's león, great place to start with free tapas, easy to reach from anywhere in spain. it's on the french way, but i doubt you'll feel crowded and as you are travelling alone you might appreciate seeing other pilgrims. you start on the flat plains of castile and hike into green and hilly galicia, and you would be walking east to west, which i think is important.

buen camino!

jeff

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back