• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Newbie with questions for the French Way

JodiC

Time of past OR future Camino
French route 2018
Hello, I have been following this forum on and off for some time. We are finally doing it and arriving the 2nd of May of this great new year to walk the French Way. I have a couple questions if you don't mind. We don't have an open end time to walk the Camino as we are limited. We are not new to hiking, running marathons and ultras ect. We are not mosiers lol and I think my sister walks faster than she runs lol... but would it be feasible to do 20-30 miles a day? The next questions.. if we were to be running behind in time is there a spot on the route that would be best to get a lift to another spot? Last question... Would it be safe weather-wise for the first part of May to do the Napoleon route? (That's the higher route correct?) Thank you for any information you could help us with... I'm so excited to finally be doing this... Jodi

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
would it be feasible to do 20-30 miles a day?
Only you and your sister can tell that. Go out wearing your planned shoes and backpack weight, and walk 20-30 miles each day, for 3 consecutive days.
if we were to be running behind in time is there a spot on the route that would be best to get a lift to another spot?
There are many opportunities to do that, so perhaps you can wait until you know if you are running behind, and how much. There is good service between the major towns and you shouldn't have trouble planning it when necessary.
Would it be safe weather-wise for the first part of May to do the Napoleon route?
Most likely yes, although I suppose there could be bad weather with poor visibility at any time of year. The people in the Pilgrim Office can advise you on the day.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Only you and your sister can tell that. Go out for 3 days in a row, wearing your planned shoes and backpack weight, and walk 3 consecutive days of that distance.

There are many opportunities to do that, so perhaps you can wait until you know if you are running behind, and how much. There is good service between the major towns and you shouldn't have trouble planning it when necessary.
Most likely yes, although I suppose there could be bad weather with poor visibility at any time of year. The people in the Pilgrim Office can advise you on the day.
Thank you so much for your input and information.

Hi , have a question for you first .

How many day's you have for walking and where do you want to begin .?

That where 2 questions :cool:
Hee hee we will arrive 5/2 and return via Madrid on the 30th. We are doing the French Way from the beginning at SJ.. With that time line need a few days in Madrid

We are not mosiers lol and I think my sister walks faster than she runs lol... but would it be feasible to do 20-30 miles a day?

Wow, that's 32 - 48 kms per day.
Day after day.
Whilst you may be very fit don't underestimate the toll on your body (legs and feet)
It's the long 'day in day out' grind that can start to cause injuries even with the fittest Pilgrims.

Mind you, I'm at the other end of the scale! :oops:

Might be interesting to hear from others who have managed to keep up that kind of pace.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jodi,

In 2015 I started out from SJPdP on April 30th and conditions could not have been more perfect. Just a hint of snow left on the more shaded hillsides on the Napoleon route but perfectly passable and from then on fantastic weather without a day of rain. That's not to say you will experience the same but it's definitely possible.

As for your timescale. Is it doable? yes. Is it advisable? that really depends on your fitness, luck with injuries and the experience you desire. It sounds like you're OK with potentially skipping a few kms and if that's so then you should be fine, best case you won't have to but you can.

Good luck,

Rob.

It is possible to walk those distances but you will be missing out on some of the fun of the camino. Stopping for a coffee/beer and tortilla mid-morning, having a chat with fellow pilgrims. Stopping to have a wander round a church or cathedral, there are some good ones en route. Taking time to take a few (lots of ) photos. Wander round the villages that you are overnighting in. Just sitting and eating your packed lunch in the middle of a clearing in the woods with the sun beating down on you, listening to the birdsong. Parking your backside on the walls of a bridge, admiring the views and wishing "Buen Camimo" to the pilgrims as they trudge onwards. Taking time to read the inscriptions on the memorials to the pilgrims that breathed their last breaths on the Camino. Enjoying a few glasses of wine in the bars and trying different tapas with the locals, avoiding the pigs ears! Having a full body massage at Casa Magica in Villatuerta. Staying at some of the celebrated alberques like Grañón. Taking a break from the rain under a tree or bridge. Talking of bridges, slow down and read some of the graffiti written on the walls of the underpasses, some of it is hilarious, some of it thought provoking. Making time to talk to the hospitaleros and helping them with some of the cooking/cleaning duties. You should definately make time to stop and have a free drink from the wine fountain at the Bodegas Irache even if you aren't thirsty.
My thought would be to take a bus to cover parts of the route to keep to schedule but to walk through some of the beautiful villages and countryside at speed and not take time to smell the roses would be something you will regret.
The meseta might be one place to skip.

I did the Napoleon route in 2015 starting 12th April and the route only opened that day! There was just a little snow at the top so you should be fine in May. That leads me to another point, do you want to do the whole SJPdP to Roncevalles in one hop and miss the Orrison refuge? It has limited spaces but it is a great start to your camino.P1100342.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And just 18 days later on the 30th, though not quite the same spot. This really is the time of year when the weather is changing and it's the luck of the draw as to what you get. Given your time crunch I'd say you should probably aim for Roncesvalles for the first night, though definitely take a break at Orrison, lovely spot with beautiful views.20150429_132453.jpg

There is a company - Macs adventures? - that delivers bikes for the Meseta area if you need to knock off miles during an apparently less interesting section. You then hand them back at a certain point. Met some time-pressed Australians doing this in September.
We did the Napoleon route April 3/4 last year and it was fine - some snow on the banks - but pilgrims’ office will have accurate info at your time

I have read this entire thread so far with interest. Having walked the entire CF from SJPdP twice and the last half, from Leon once, I offer the following suggestions:

1. Doing the entire route, from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago has a unique quality all its own and should not be diminished, at least IMHO, however, that stated...

2. If time, motivation, or interest simply do not permit, then I can offer two, viable methods to completing the entire route:

2.1 Break it into two or more, distinct sections. Walk from SJPdP to Leon, then bail out for the year. Save your credencial as it can be resumed the next time from where you left off. Then, perhaps next year, come back and walk the remaining two-weeks into Santiago.

2.2 If you are NEVER returning to this part of the world, then I can suggest what I call the "Morse Code Camino." It is made up of dots (walking segments) and dashes (bus or taxi segments). Here are the basic steps, you can elaborate further using a Brierley guide book for the Camino Frances.
2.1.1 Start at SJPdP, walk over the Napoleon Pass, staying at Refuge Orisson (book ahead) and into Roncesvalles. This is a very special segment to most pilgrims. Try not to miss it.
2.1.2 Take a bus the following morning into Pamplona. Tour and remain overnight, walk up to Alto de Perdon and into Puente la Reina the next morning, after Pamplona.
2.1.3 Take a bus from Puente la Reina into Logrono, or beyond, remain overnight and walk from there the next day. But, walking across La Rioja is IMHO a high point of my journeys on this route.

Continue this pattern based on your understanding of the Brierley guide book and the places and sights you want to be sure to see. When approaching a large city: Burgos, Leon, etc. avoid the industrial belts around the city by taking a bus to avoid the last day's walk into, and the first day's walk out of the city.

The initial 10 km in radius around Burgos and Leon are filled with warehouses, light industry, big box stores and very busy highways. I find them noisy, dirty, and generally without much to commend them to pilgrims. If I wanted to see this I could remain at home in the US. Logrono and Astorga have these regions as well, but they are shorter in depth and can be walked through.

Simply stop at a cafe and ask them to call a taxi if a bus is not convenient ("Llame un taxi para [city] por favor.") It costs about one € per kilometer. Tip rounding up... Stay in the target city overnight and continue from there based on the pattern you establish for your journey.

Consider obtaining the ALSA bus app for your smartphone. Also see them at www.alsa.com. ALSA has the government contracts for most of the inter-city (between town) eastern part of the Camino Frances. Some town pairs are served by other bus lines. Check in at a local cafe for a schedule or when the next bus is due (Cuando es el proximo autobus para [town]?). Some places have a single bus daily, so stay flexible.

I actually developed this method for my wife who is not inclined to walk the entire distance, but who wants to see it all... I have my "hobby," she has hers... We have yet to plan doing it.;)

The 'Morse Code Camino' can be done in three weeks by cutting out all the dreary bits, and leaving in all the highpoints. You can customize it to suit. You can walk the parts you like the most, for me that is the Meseta after Fromisa and before Sahagun. Or you can leap frog over the bits you choose to avoid on this journey. I still advise returning to walk it all, eventually.

Finally, providing you walk the final 100 Km or more, generally from Sarria, you qualify for the Compostela when you arrive at the Pilgrim Office at Santiago, regardless of how many rides you may take during your journey, BUT BEFORE the final 100 Km. Those last five-days you must walk.

Be certain to maintain the credencial with two or more rubber stamps (sellos) per day on the final 100 Km stretch from Sarria. Before that, one stamp / sello per day is sufficient to establish your line of march along the route.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I like the Morse Code method if you don't have an open end ticket. My first Camino (April/May 2015) I bused ahead when I ran short of time, but felt like I was rushing too much. I envied those who walked daily without destination. This time, I'm starting in Longrono and ending in Sarria, because I have my Compostella, and I want to walk in peace. I may not reach Sarria: if I connect with a group, I plan on walking with them. My last Camino I left behind two very good friends (without getting their contact info) from England. I kick myself for not staying with them: (Lynn and Marie, if you're out there, message me)! No kicking on the Camino! Walk this one the best you can, and return, and return....Buen Camino!

It is very exciting that you plan to walk the Camino Frances! It sounds like you and your sister are in good shape. Many pilgrims walk 25-35km a day on the Camino and I have met a few after they have walked a 40-50km day. Once you begin walking, you will need to take the elevation changes into account and the quality of the path, which ranges from smooth flat asphalt paths to steep downhill dirt paths with potato-sized rocks, and everything in between. I think the Morse Code method could work well for you. Don't miss the meseta! You could run or bike that part easily, but if you walk it, you will experience it more deeply. If you haven't previously walked 20-30 miles every day for 28 days straight, you could start in St.Jean and, without expectations, just take every day as it comes, listening to your body and especially your feet. Take a taxi, a bus, or a train as needed, and enjoy the landscapes, the people, and the experience. You can return to finish what you miss. Have fun!

The biking across Meseta sounds wonderful. Meseta is just lovely and I'd hate for you to miss. Cycling will give you experience whilst gaining time. SJPP to Roncesvalles in one day is another way to gain days.

Do try for a few highlights: Cruz de Ferro, Pilgrims blessing in Roncesvalles, communal meal in Grañon, and other special places mentioned on thread.

Oh, on my first camino I was 39, extremely fit, and averaged 30kms a day without problems. You can too.

Buen camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
By the time you get to Burgos you should have a good idea as to whether you can keep up your pace and finish the camino by foot. If you do think you need some mechanical help you might just need to rent a bike for a stretch to get you back to where you can finish by walking. Here are some bike rental links I've collected but you could also use this site's search function to check out bicycle bike rental.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jodi,

In 2015 I started out from SJPdP on April 30th and conditions could not have been more perfect. Just a hint of snow left on the more shaded hillsides on the Napoleon route but perfectly passable and from then on fantastic weather without a day of rain. That's not to say you will experience the same but it's definitely possible.

As for your timescale. Is it doable? yes. Is it advisable? that really depends on your fitness, luck with injuries and the experience you desire. It sounds like you're OK with potentially skipping a few kms and if that's so then you should be fine, best case you won't have to but you can.

Good luck,

Rob.
Hi Rob

Thank you so much.. I think after hearing the comments we will just go at a pace we are comfortable and our bodies willing that you so much for the information it’s really appreciated.

Take care
Jodi

Thank you so much as w
It is possible to walk those distances but you will be missing out on some of the fun of the camino. Stopping for a coffee/beer and tortilla mid-morning, having a chat with fellow pilgrims. Stopping to have a wander round a church or cathedral, there are some good ones en route. Taking time to take a few (lots of ) photos. Wander round the villages that you are overnighting in. Just sitting and eating your packed lunch in the middle of a clearing in the woods with the sun beating down on you, listening to the birdsong. Parking your backside on the walls of a bridge, admiring the views and wishing "Buen Camimo" to the pilgrims as they trudge onwards. Taking time to read the inscriptions on the memorials to the pilgrims that breathed their last breaths on the Camino. Enjoying a few glasses of wine in the bars and trying different tapas with the locals, avoiding the pigs ears! Having a full body massage at Casa Magica in Villatuerta. Staying at some of the celebrated alberques like Grañón. Taking a break from the rain under a tree or bridge. Talking of bridges, slow down and read some of the graffiti written on the walls of the underpasses, some of it is hilarious, some of it thought provoking. Making time to talk to the hospitaleros and helping them with some of the cooking/cleaning duties. You should definately make time to stop and have a free drink from the wine fountain at the Bodegas Irache even if you aren't thirsty.
My thought would be to take a bus to cover parts of the route to keep to schedule but to walk through some of the beautiful villages and countryside at speed and not take time to smell the roses would be something you will regret.
thank you so much for the information as we don’t want to miss what’s the main purpose of doing this.. so thank you as I think now I’m set.. I’m just going to stop and smell the roses per say

20-30 miles per day? You guys certainly don't want to have much fun do you. I imagine that it's possible but whether it's desirable is a question that only you, and your sister, can answer. If it were me I'd allow for a mileage per day that's do-able and enjoyable then work back that mileage from Santiago for the number of days you have and then start from there.
Ultreïa.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have read this entire thread so far with interest. Having walked the entire CF from SJPdP twice and the last half, from Leon once, I offer the following suggestions:

1. Doing the entire route, from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago has a unique quality all its own and should not be diminished, at least IMHO, however, that stated...

2. If time, motivation, or interest simply does not permit, then I can offer two, viable methods to completing the entire route:

2.1 Break it into two or more, distinct sections. Walk from SJPdP to Leon, then bail out for the year. Save your credencial as it can be resumed the next time from where you left off. Then, perhaps next year, come back and walk the remaining two-weeks into Santiago.

2.2 If you are NEVER returning to this part of the world, then I can suggest what I call the "Morse Code Camino." It is made up of dots (walking segments) and dashes (bus or taxi segments). Here are the basic steps, you can elaborate further using a Brierley guide book for the Camino Frances.
2.1.1 Start at SJPdP, walk over the Napoleon Pass, staying at Refuge Orisson (book ahead) and into Roncesvalles. This is a very special segment to most pilgrims. Try not to miss it.
2.1.2 Take a bus the following morning into Pamplona. Tour and remain overnight, walk up to Alto de Perdon and into Puente la Reina the next morning, after Pamplona.
2.1.3 Take a bus from Puente la Reina into Logrono, or beyond, remain overnight and walk from there the next day. But, walking across La Rioja is IMHO a high point of my journeys on this route.

Continue this pattern based on your understanding of the Brierley guide book and the places and sights you want to be sure to see. When approaching a large city: Burgos, Leon, etc. avoid the industrial belts around the city by taking a bus to avoid the last day's walk into, and the first day's walk out of the city.

The initial 10 km in radius around Burgos and Leon are filled with warehouses, light industry, big box stores and very busy highways. I find them noisy, dirty, and generally without much to commend them to pilgrims. If I wanted to see this I could remain at home in the US. Logrono and Astorga have these regions as well, but they are shorter in depth and can be walked through.

Simply stop at a cafe and ask them to call a taxi if a bus is not convenient ("Llame un taxi para [city] por favor.") It costs about one € per kilometer. Tip rounding up... Stay in the target city overnight and continue from there based on the pattern you establish for your journey.

Consider obtaining the ALSA bus app for your smartphone. Also see them at www.alsa.com. ALSA has the government contracts for most of the inter-city (between town) eastern part of the Camino Frances. Some town pairs are served by other bus lines. Check in at a local cafe for a schedule or when the next bus is due (Cuando es el proximo autobus para [town]?). Some places have a single bus daily, so stay flexible.

I actually developed this method for my wife who is not inclined to walk the entire distance, but who wants to see it all... I have my "hobby," she has hers... We have yet to plan doing it.;)

The 'Morse Code Camino' can be done in three weeks by cutting out all the dreary bits, and leaving in all the highpoints. You can customize it to suit. You can walk the parts you like the most, for me that is the Meseta after Fromisa and before Sahagun. Or you can leap frog over the bits you choose to avoid on this journey. I still advise returning to walk it all, eventually.

Finally, providing you walk the final 100 Km or more, generally from Sarria, you qualify for the Compostela when you arrive at the Pilgrim Office at Santiago, regardless of how many rides you may take during your journey, BUT BEFORE the final 100 Km. Those last five-days you must walk.

Be certain to maintain the credencial with two or more rubber stamps (sellos) per day on the final 100 Km stretch from Sarria. Before that, one stamp / sello per day is sufficient to establish your line of march along the route.

I hope this helps.
Hello, WOW thank you for this information. Yes all this information from everyone is all so important.. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about it. Thank you for taking the time to explain all this. :) I would rather enjoy myself then rush... Rushing will be left at home... Thank you again!! :)

It is very exciting that you plan to walk the Camino Frances! It sounds like you and your sister are in good shape. Many pilgrims walk 25-35km a day on the Camino and I have met a few after they have walked a 40-50km day. Once you begin walking, you will need to take the elevation changes into account and the quality of the path, which ranges from smooth flat asphalt paths to steep downhill dirt paths with potato-sized rocks, and everything in between. I think the Morse Code method could work well for you. Don't miss the meseta! You could run or bike that part easily, but if you walk it, you will experience it more deeply. If you haven't previously walked 20-30 miles every day for 28 days straight, you could start in St.Jean and, without expectations, just take every day as it comes, listening to your body and especially your feet. Take a taxi, a bus, or a train as needed, and enjoy the landscapes, the people, and the experience. You can return to finish what you miss. Have fun!
Thank you so much :) I have learned a lot by all these conversations... Thank you again :)

By the time you get to Burgos you should have a good idea as to whether you can keep up your pace and finish the camino by foot. If you do think you need some mechanical help you might just need to rent a bike for a stretch to get you back to where you can finish by walking. Here are some bike rental links I've collected but you could also use this site's search function to check out bicycle bike rental.
Thank you so much for this information :) I really appreciate it..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is possible to walk those distances but you will be missing out on some of the fun of the camino.
You guys certainly don't want to have much fun do you.

With all due respect, and to each his or her own, but I found no correlation between the fun to be had (including the smelling of metaforical roses) and the pace with which you walk a camino. Compared with the average number of days it takes to walk the CF I was quick, and I never felt rushed.
I like long walking days because they get me in my groove. This results in more distance covered per day, but that doesn't mean I didn't take enough breaks, didn't visit churches, villages or cathedrals and didn't chat with other pilgrims. On the contrary, I had and took plenty of time for that.
If you are fit enough to run marathons and ultras, you'll know your body well enough to be able to walk the entire CF within your timeframe, I am sure. And I want to stress again that by being quicker than most, you won't miss out on the fun and the smelling of roses. The only drawback might be that you'll maybe leave new friends behind, but there are more to be found up ahead.
Remember though, the "can I do it in this timeframe" question is mostly theoretical at this point. Find your own pace when you are actually walking it and then stick to it. Because when it feels right, it probably is. No matter how fast or slow.

Last edited:
I like long walking days because they get me in my groove. This results in more distance covered per day, but that doesn't mean I didn't take enough breaks, didn't visit churches, villages or cathedrals and didn't chat with other pilgrims. On the contrary, I had and took plenty of time for that.

The way people walk the Caminos - especially the Frances - has changed a lot over the years. On my first and second Camino Frances walks I would set off well after sunrise after a leisurely breakfast, stop for a couple of hours around lunchtime, then walk on until late afternoon or early evening before finding a bed for the night. No shortage of accommodation and so no bed race to worry about. That was probably the norm then. Now it is more common to find people setting off very early - often before dawn - and ending their day's walk as early as noon or 1pm. Shorter days and therefore shorter average stages. In recent years my average daily stages have been about 30km with occasional days of 40km or very rarely 50km. Like @Purky I do not feel that I have missed opportunities for other experiences by doing so. It just means a longer walking day.

Personally, I would prefer a continuous walk, without busing ahead, so I would probably calculate where I would have to start in order to finish in Santiago. I would probably use 20 miles per day as my target. That way if you go faster, and have time after Santiago you can walk on to Finisterre and/or Muxia.
Perhaps the most meaningful part of the Camino for me was the people that I met along the way. I wouldn't have wanted to prematurely say goodbye to someone because of my schedule. I know that I was sad because I missed walking with a woman I became friends with because she skipped part of the Meseta.
A city with good transportation to and from Madrid that would be a good starting place is Logroño. Pamplona would also be a good starting point, as transportation from Madrid is easy. Also, if the weather in the Pyrenees is bad you would avoid it.

Here's an excellent site for planning purposes: http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

And here's another site, where you can enter the number of km you plan to walk each day, and it will automatically come up with stages: http://www.urcamino.com/planner/camino-frances

Since you are both fit, and used to do long distance running, it's possible that you could finish in ~25 days, but it's a good idea to build in more time for contingencies. As I said, you can always add on Finisterre/Muxia if you have time at the end. I wouldn't have felt my Camino was complete if I didn't get to the sea.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have to endorse this approach. Why rush it? You could always do it in stages, on a year-to-year basis.

Hello, I have been following this forum on and off for some time. We are finally doing it and arriving the 2nd of May of this great new year to walk the French Way. I have a couple questions if you don't mind. We don't have an open end time to walk the Camino as we are limited. We are not new to hiking, running marathons and ultras ect. We are not mosiers lol and I think my sister walks faster than she runs lol... but would it be feasible to do 20-30 miles a day? The next questions.. if we were to be running behind in time is there a spot on the route that would be best to get a lift to another spot? Last question... Would it be safe weather-wise for the first part of May to do the Napoleon route? (That's the higher route correct?) Thank you for any information you could help us with... I'm so excited to finally be doing this... Jodi
Don’t worry too much about distances. You seem quite fit- so my advice is: listen to your body.
I spent 25 says last year (May-June) from Burgos to Santiago. I was slighly ower weight and not fit at all- but completed with a smile on my face. I did about 20 k each day- and had 2 resting days!

Buen camino!

Regards

Håvard

Hi Jodi,

I am also a veteran of many marathons, ultras and triathlons and had walked in all my gear several times. I allowed myself an ‘easy’ average of around 23km per day, being a little blasé about it only being around 13 miles.......all I can say is that walking is VERY different to running and those 23km were never easy, especially with 8kg on my back! In the early days I began to suffer with tendinitis (shin splints), which I was lucky to recover from quite quickly, but many others had to take extra days out or do part of the journey by taxi because of similar problems. Tendinitis and blisters are all too common. Only you will know if you are capable of 20-30 miles per day, but definitely walk with a full pack over hilly terrain for several consecutive days in the coming months to be sure.....and bring walking poles!!!! Buen Camino!

1) If you are up for 25 to 30 mile days, you know that means walking, with packs, for maybe 10 hours a day, maybe more. It can and has been done, but that pace has to be maintained. The math is; 25 miles X 20 days = 500 miles. There is a book by a fellow who did it. If it can be found, it may offer more insights.

2) If there is a problem en route or a day off is required, perhaps a cab in the morning from one hostel to a town further down the road would get that day off and not lose the distance. Cabs can be had anywhere. Some transfer drivers (for packs), will tak a passenger or two, some will not. It is a hard this to keep track of.

3) Usually by May 2, the Napoleon Way is open but it is best to get Local Advice on that when you arrive in SJPdP. The snow may be gone but you really do not want ot be up there in a bad storm. After Orisson, there is only one unmanned / unsupplied refugio. It is about 10' X 10'. Its greatest attribute, besides being the only place up there to get out of the weather, does also have an emergency phone.

Hope this helps.

I have done the Camino in the spring as you intend to do, the weather is usually good for walking then, but can vary. I did it in 2016 in July august and made it in four weeks on low budget, the heat and the fact that I was limited for cash made it difficult, but made it despite losing about 2 stone in weight. But better to take your time, enjoy the vibes and if you do not complete, well good excuse to return. Will be starting off from Alicante this year walking up and across.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just go. If you need to accelerate a few tranches of the route due to timing, just decide that along the way. Let your body tell which days you walk farther than others and don't even decide until you finish your lunch each day. Don't be too calculated in advance as to when and where you might advance by bus or taxi. Someone can find you a taxi almost anywhere there is a hostel. The curiosity of what's next on the trail might just keep you walking. While most people take 28-33 days, there are others who have walked it 20-24 days.
Everyone walks their own Camino, for their own reasons and at their own pace.
I walked SJPdP to Santiago in 25.5 days in April/May 2017 without buses or taxis and I am not a hiker, runner, etc. at all. I just had an intense curiosity, a stubborn will to go on and had a great experience. It allowed me a few extras days to walk to Finesterre and Muxia on the coast rather than go there by bus after Santiago. Take good care of your feet and carry lots of blister pads (Compeed) so that any little (or big) foot issues don't stop you for a day or two. Make sure your boots are big enough for daily foot swelling and the soles are strong enough - after I got home I spent a lot more money on my new pair of boots and went up 1/2 size. Dreaming of my next Camino. Best wishes. JH

Two more thoughts:
1) It may take several days for your mind, your body, and your feet to get settled into the daily routines and physical demands of the Camino, so give yourselves time to feel that you are 'in' the Camino.
2) Words of wisdom from a friend who hikes in Nepal:
Remember that you will get stronger every day!

Enjoy your adventure!

Wow, that's 32 - 48 kms per day.
Day after day.
Whilst you may be very fit don't underestimate the toll on your body (legs and feet)
It's the long 'day in day out' grind that can start to cause injuries even with the fittest Pilgrims.

Mind you, I'm at the other end of the scale! :oops:

Might be interesting to hear from others who have managed to keep up that kind of pace.

I agree. Around 50km day after day with even a light backpack would be tough on any body no matter howe fit. The general rule of c. 30-32 days has made sees for a long time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is possible. My wife walks very fast, and we could do 35K a day, every day, day after day. We did 24 days from SJPP to ScD in Sept/Oct 2016. Start a bit slower (say 28K) and work up to 35-38K.

That being said, no one else was walking that speed except two young men (young by our standards--college age). We met a lot of great people along the way, but hardly stayed with anyone for more than 3 days before we left them behind, unlike our first CF where we were walking with a pretty stable camino "family," all of us doing about 25K/day.

If you have to cut some sections, my suggestion is to cut two big urban areas: Leon and Ponferranda. I find no spiritual or aesthetic value in urban walking. Other disagree. But if you agree, take an inter-city bus from Mules to Leon, then a city bus from Leon to Virgen del Camino. Take a taxi from Ponferrada to Cacabellos. Also, if you are not going to take the high route after Villafranca de Birraza (spelling approximate), take a taxi from Villa franca to Los Herrerrias (to avoid walking along that road, sometimes with no guard rail in the last section). That being said, two other urban areas are much nicer. Pamplona is really just a cut through the old city and the CF avoids the real urban area; Burgos has a lovely walk along the river into the city (don't let the guide books scare you--this route is perfectly safe) and the walk out is not bad either.

In any event, if the Camino teaches anything, it is flexibility. I'd just start walking. See what pace feels good to you, and make decisions along the way.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back