• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Newest Covid Entry Requirements

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reggie (Scout)

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/2019
Arriving from USA May 3rd in Barcelona before traveling on to Porto for Camino start. In researching requirements, it appears I only need my Covid shot records which include booster. Correct? At what point, if any, is the PCR test required? It’s a bit of gobbledegook on the official sites I’ve looked at. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You will need to fill out the Spanish Health form within 48 hours of your flight.

You do not need a test to enter Spain, however (currently) you will need a test taken the day before your flight to return to the US. It can be a PCR test or antigen test.

Last edited:
Is you flight booked through to Portugal or are they two separate flights? I think there is an Passenger Locator form that has to filled out to enter Portugal too.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Flying to Barcelona, then Porto next day.
My guess would be that you need to meet the requirements to fly from US to Spain on one day (vaccine, booster depending on vaccine dates and get QR code from SpTH app) and then meet the requirements for flying to Portugal the following day (vaccine and as best as I can tell complete the locator form.) I would do some research about the requirements when flying from Spain to Portugal.

Since Portugal currently doesn't recognize the US CDC card, you will probably need to provide proof of a negative test.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here's the Portuguese government website.

It's the bit about "reciprocal conditions" that is keeping the US certificates from being recognized.
Screenshot_20220328-165045_Firefox.jpg

So when I land in Barcelona, I can get a test done locally before flying to Porto? Thank you!
Yes. I would think so.
Or you can get a PCR test or an NAAT test done up to 72 hours before your flight to Portugal.

Most Walgreens are offering rapid NAAT tests. You can make an appointment for them online.

Here's the Portuguese government website.

It's the bit about "reciprocal conditions" that is keeping the US certificates from being recognized.
View attachment 121471

Yes. I would think so.
Or you can get a PCR test or an NAAT test done up to 72 hours before your flight to Portugal.

Most Walgreens are offering rapid NAAT tests. You can make an appointment for them online.
Awesome!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Has anyone here recently taken the bus from Santiago to Porto? According to website I don’t need a rapid test if I fly directly from Canada to Portugal, but if I travel by land, or air, from a European country I need to show a negative Covid test as my Canadian vaccination QR code isn’t recognized

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Has anyone here recently taken the bus from Santiago to Porto? According to website I don’t need a rapid test if I fly directly from Canada to Portugal, but if I travel by land, or air, from a European country I need to show a negative Covid test as my Canadian vaccination QR code isn’t recognized
I'm hiking in May 2022 Porto to Santiago. My flight from Santiago back to Portugal was cancelled and the direct route is no longer offered. I was going to take the train back to Porto. I wonder if the bus would be better?

Rome2Rio.Com shows a bus and a train. The bus is only 3hrs 40 minutes and the train is 5 hrs 30 minutes; and you have to change stations in Vigo to another station a few blocks away.

I'm hiking in May 2022 Porto to Santiago. My flight from Santiago back to Portugal was cancelled and the direct route is no longer offered. I was going to take the train back to Porto. I wonder if the bus would be better?

Rome2Rio.Com shows a bus and a train. The bus is only 3hrs 40 minutes and the train is 5 hrs 30 minutes; and you have to change stations in Vigo to another station a few blocks away.
I've taken the bus twice. I usually prefer the train, but for this route the bus seemed best.
I've taken both Alsa and Flixbus, and both were very comfortable.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just out of interest... and I might be being a bit thick here... how does one prove the test result of a RATs test when needed pre departure? Is it done at the check in desk as mentioned above? Thanks

Just out of interest... and I might be being a bit thick here... how does one prove the test result of a RATs test when needed pre departure? Is it done at the check in desk as mentioned above? Thanks
Yes, the airline will check that you have all the necessary tests, documents, etc. to enter the country. Countries fine airlines who transport passengers who do not meet entry requirements.

Are you asking about test results to Portugal or back to the US? If you are taking a rapid test to get back into the US then you can take one at the airport and they will give you the official results that are verified by the airline. The other option is a rapid test that comes with a virtual visit that requires that they witness you taking the test and reading the results. They will then send you the results through the app that you will show the airline. In any case you cannot use the rapid test you buy at the drugstore.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@trecile and others who have generously kept us up to date on Portugal's entry requirements for US citizens. All the websites I follow -- visitportugal.com, iatatravelcentre.com/world.php, apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-restrictions and the US State Department quoted below (https://pt.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/) -- state that we can choose either a 72-hr PCR OR 24 hr-Antigen test is required.
PCR / NAAT test 72 hours before boarding or a rapid Antigen / TRAg test 24 hours before boarding. Additionally, a Passenger Locator Card must be completed and submitted. (Some airlines require completion of this form before take-off. We advise completing and printing prior to scheduled travel)
However, my carrier, United, states on my trip reqs that the 72 hour PCR test is required. I am annoyed at this obviously incorrect info, as United may not let me on the plane at Newark with only the Antigen test. It's Easter weekend and I won't find a PCR test (within the timetable) without paying an exorbitant fee for a 1-hour rush test.
I'm going to try to clarify with United by phone, but we all know how useless they are!!!!
Sorry for the rant! Has anyone had recent experience traveling by United from US to Portugal?

Last edited:
@trecile and others who have generously kept us up to date on Portugal's entry requirements for US citizens. All the websites I follow -- visitportugal.com, iatatravelcentre.com/world.php, apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-restrictions and the US State Department quoted below (https://pt.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/) -- state that we can choose either a 72-hr PCR OR 24 hr-Antigen test is required.

However, my carrier, United, states on my trip reqs that the 72 hour PCR test is required. I am annoyed at this obviously incorrect info, as United may not let me on the plane at Newark with only the Antigen test. It's Easter weekend and I won't find a PCR test (within the timetable) without paying an exorbitant fee for a 1-hour rush test.
I'm going to try to clarify with United by phone, but we all know how useless they are!!!!
Sorry for the rant! Has anyone had recent experience traveling by United from US to Portugal?
So frustrating! Almost seems like a money racket. 😢

@Reggie (Scout) I agree!!! $$$$$. United will do an "instant" PCR test at Newark Airport for $250. In NYC the price is around the same. To get a free PCR within the 72-hour window I'd need a test on Easter Sunday. All the sites I've contacted will be closed that day.
So that's why I want to clarify that United will comply with Portugal's clear acceptance of Antigen test, and not require me to show PCR to board plane.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@design4life I would ask the question on the TripAdvisor Portugal forum.

And BTW, the airlines don't run the testing centers at airports, though I agree that they are a rip off.

You might also try calling United or contacting them through their Twitter account. I have found them to respond quickly through Twitter.

@design4life I would ask the question on the TripAdvisor Portugal forum.

And BTW, the airlines don't run the testing centers at airports, though I agree that they are a rip off.

You might also try calling United or contacting them through their Twitter account. I have found them to respond quickly through Twitter.
Thanks, I'll try Twitter. The phone is difficult because they can't visualize the documents I want them to view. Just went through this on a recent flight. They just read back what their websites say!

Thanks, I'll try Twitter. The phone is difficult because they can't visualize the documents I want them to view. Just went through this on a recent flight. They just read back what their websites say!
Thank you again, @trecile !! I messaged United on Twitter and heard back within four hours. Shocking! They linked me to the overall info on their website, which is correct -- 72-hr PCR or 24-hr antigen for Portugal. I attached the erroneous screenshot and suggested they correct / clarify it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you again, @trecile !! I messaged United on Twitter and heard back within four hours. Shocking! They linked me to the overall info on their website, which is correct -- 72-hr PCR or 24-hr antigen for Portugal. I attached the erroneous screenshot and suggested they correct / clarify it!
Did they also say anything about an NAAT test within 72 hours? That's what I'm a planning, because Walgreens does a rapid NAAT with results back in a few hours.

Screenshot_20220405-151908_Firefox.jpg

Did they also say anything about an NAAT test within 72 hours? That's what I'm a planning, because Walgreens does a rapid NAAT with results back in a few hours.

View attachment 122074

Here is the link she gave me to the United website: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/restrictions-map.html You'll see that Option #1 is the NAAT test. The US State Dept (https://pt.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/) says PCR/NAAT. So it looks like you're good.
To further complicate my situation, as my flight is at 10pm, I've been looking for a nighttime test site. Finally, this afternoon, after contacting the city and state, all the pharmacy chains, and several private companies, I found a mobile van in Times Square open til 1am.
What a drag! And I'm hearing we'll have a very long wait once we get into the airport in Portugal.
Much gratitude once we get on the walk ~~~~~

Here is the link she gave me to the United website: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/restrictions-map.html You'll see that Option #1 is the NAAT test. The US State Dept (https://pt.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/) says PCR/NAAT. So it looks like you're good.
To further complicate my situation, as my flight is at 10pm, I've been looking for a nighttime test site. Finally, this afternoon, after contacting the city and state, all the pharmacy chains, and several private companies, I found a mobile van in Times Square open til 1am.
What a drag! And I'm hearing we'll have a very long wait once we get into the airport in Portugal.
Much gratitude once we get on the walk ~~~~~
What day are you flying?
Since your flight doesn't leave until 10pm is there somewhere you can get tested that morning?
Can you get an NAAT test done at Walgreens or another drug store? It looks like Walgreens is doing tests on the weekends, but only making appointments one week out.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What day are you flying?
Since your flight doesn't leave until 10pm is there somewhere you can get tested that morning?
Can you get an NAAT test done at Walgreens or another drug store? It looks like Walgreens is doing tests on the weekends, but only making appointments one week out.
Yes, the NAAT has a 2-hour turnaround, but Walgreen's offers it only outside the city where they can do "drive-thru."
As far as waiting until morning to get tested, it's all a question of how busy the labs are. Turnaround over the past year has varied wildly, as has the supply of testing sites. According to the providers I called today, many testing sites have closed, scaled back, or ended weekend and evening hours as demand has waned. It's either feast or famine.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the requirement is to cross from Spain to Portugal. I am also returning to Porto by bus from Santiago. I have only found inforamtion on entering Portugal by Ferry or Air.
I just logged into Flixbus website and found the following information:

Travellers entering Portugal by land do not need to provide the 'EU Digital COVID Certificate' (EUDCC), nor a negative test result.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just logged into Flixbus website and found the following information:

Travellers entering Portugal by land do not need to provide the 'EU Digital COVID Certificate' (EUDCC), nor a negative test result.
Thanks for providing this update, @RJ in CA , I have an upcoming trip and was just wondering the same thing!

I wanted to post it because I went to Spain in November 2021 and traveled by car to Gibraltar. The UK had a testing requirement at the time to test withing two days of entry. We could not fine any information as to the testing requirement.... so... all of went to a test center to get a test only to discover we did not need it to enter Gibraltar or to go back to Spain. I assumed the same was true for Spain but was unsure about Portugal due to their stricter requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back