Search 69,459 Camino Questions

News about the Invierno

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
This recent article has a few interesting tidbits about the Invierno:

Before covid shut the caminos down, one private albergue had 1,000 reservations!

Albergues in Vilamartín and O Barco (probably Xagoaza) are open.

A place for pilgrim information is being constructed in the old part of A Rúa, which. must mean that it is up near Asún’s former albergue.

Plans are underway to re-route pilgrims off the dangerous stretch between Vilamartín and A Rúa. (I agree it‘s not the best, but in my experience, this is not a stretch of the hair-raising variety, like those we’ve mentioned on other caminos. But still, that’s good news).

I would bet that the Invierno will rise again. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Invierno has been on my list for quite a while and as is the case with all things we can't have, even more so now, alas....I had planned to walk last April from Toledo to Zamora to Astorga to Ponferrada and finally by way of the Invierno to SdC before volunteering for 2 weeks. Sadly, none of it came to pass, but I did get to walk for 20 days or so in Portugal where covid numbers were manageable in September..even that seems a lifetime ago. Hopefully later this year....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank Laurie. Nice to see that the Invierno is in a positive way a lively thing also amongst the local press.

I do seriously doubt about these 1000 reservations, especially on this route. According to my own experience in our albergue, and what I hear from others, my guess is there is a typo somewhere and that it is about 100 times less.
My reason to stress this out is that I want to prevent people thinking it is necessary to start reserving now for the rest of the year. This only leads to a massive unneeded administrative work, including all the cancelations which will be made. Not to speak about forgotten cancellations....

Before covid shut the caminos down, one private albergue had 1,000 reservations!

A place for pilgrim information is being constructed in the old part of A Rúa, which. must mean that it is up near Asún’s former albergue.

Plans are underway to re-route pilgrims off the dangerous stretch between Vilamartín and A Rúa. (I agree it‘s not the best, but in my experience, this is not a stretch of the hair-raising variety, like those we’ve mentioned on other caminos. But still, that’s good news).

There is no way that any private albergue on the Invierno had 1,000 reservations!

1,000 reservation over the course of a year, 365 days = about 3 reservations per day, so it's not too far fetched.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
1,000 reservation over the course of a year, 365 days = about 3 reservations per day, so it's not too far fetched.
Yeah, I can do the math(s) as well, but as someone who has walked the Invierno probably more times than anyone else, I stand by what I said: there is no way that any private albergue had 1,000 reservations.

Bearing in mind that Asún Arias is president of the Asociación del Camino de Santiago a su paso por Valdeorras, which takes in Sobradelo, Éntoma, O Barco, Villamartín and A Rúa, then I wonder which 'albergue privado' the article is referring to.

Laurie, I am so impressed by your continual, loving promotion of so many routes on various caminos in Spain, especially the Inverno. I even read your 2015 regarding how to do the Inverno in shorter stages article.
Still, there does not appear to be enough infrastructure for folks who consistently want to stay under 25km per day to take the Invierno alternative.
I do hope it rises....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Laurie, I am so impressed by your continual, loving promotion of so many routes on various caminos in Spain, especially the Inverno. I even read your 2015 regarding how to do the Inverno in shorter stages article.
Still, there does not appear to be enough infrastructure for folks who consistently want to stay under 25km per day to take the Invierno alternative.
I do hope it rises....
Not true at all about the lack of infrastructure. This is from someone who has walked the Invierno many many times.

I wonder which 'albergue privado' the article is referring to.
I tend to agree with @Charrito here that there is probably some “puffery” going on. In 2019, there were only 700 pilgrims who got the compostela and said they walked the Invierno

As far as which albergue, I think Asún‘s quote is general enough that it could be talking about any private albergue on the route. And probably the one in Rodeiro is the most well-established. But anyway, my point was merely to emphasize that things were looking up on the Invierno in terms of increasing numbers.

If you mean public albergue infrastructure, @Marbe2, I would agree with you. But in 2019, plans were buzzing to add several more albergues, and the Xunta is going ahead with renovating the Episcopal Palace in Diomondi as an ablergue. As far as private albergues, there is now one in As Médulas, Sobradelo, Rodeiro, Lalín. Pobra de Brollón, which lost its private well loved pensión As Viñas to retirement, has pilgrim accommodation available and seemed pre-pandemic to be on the road to a real albergue. Anyway, just to say that I think the 25 km day option is do-able and comfortable if you can afford the private pensiones along the way, which typically range 30-40 for a double.

If you are tempted, @Marbe2 we could open up a thread and do a day by day plan!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I tend to agree with @Charrito here that there is probably some “puffery” going on. In 2019, there were only 700 pilgrims who got the compostela and said they walked the Invierno

As far as which albergue, I think Asún‘s quote is general enough that it could be talking about any private albergue on the route. And probably the one in Rodeiro is the most well-established. But anyway, my point was merely to emphasize that things were looking up on the Invierno in terms of increasing numbers.

If you mean public albergue infrastructure, @Marbe2, I would agree with you. But in 2019, plans were buzzing to add several more albergues, and the Xunta is going ahead with renovating the Episcopal Palace in Diomondi as an ablergue. As far as private albergues, there is now one in As Médulas, Sobradelo, Rodeiro, Lalín. Pobra de Brollón, which lost its private well loved pensión As Viñas to retirement, has pilgrim accommodation available and seemed pre-pandemic to be on the road to a real albergue. Anyway, just to say that I think the 25 km day option is do-able and comfortable if you can afford the private pensiones along the way, which typically range 30-40 for a double.

If you are tempted, @Marbe2 we could open up a thread and do a day by day plan!

Yes, I would absolutely consider it...if we could safely stay under 25 km per day.
If we are tired, we would just stay put an extra day. If folks can come up with accommodations we would definitely consider it. I have used Gronze as my guide and can only get several days out before we run into difficulty. There are a few towns, that list 5 apartments or bedrooms but the liklihood of them being available to us in September without prior reservation is not likely with our slow pace. Please by all means suggestions are welcome. We are not in favor of taking public transport back somewhere to make the day doable...unless in an emergency. And we have no objections to staying at albergues with private rooms and a window for ventilation.

Well, I am responding to Gronze’s current listings..
I just looked through Gronze‘s stages and you’re right that they are longer than 25 km, but if you scroll down and look at the towns along the way you’ll find lots of ways to break those up and reconfigure the stages.

The one stage that has been problematic is the stage from A Rúa to Quiroga. Gronze says it’s 26 but I think it’s longer and it does have some elevation. But as of a few years ago, people in Soldón opened their apartamentos and welcome pilgrims. They will even do shopping for you and have it waiting in the apartment.

Yes, I would absolutely consider it...if we could safely stay under 25 km per day.

Ok, I will go back to the shorter stages thread and do a day by day virtual planning thread. There’s a similar thread going on for the Lana, and it is a lot of fun. I will do one stage a day and let people chime in with observations and recommendations.

Thanks @Marbe2.

I just looked through Gronze‘s stages and you’re right that they are longer than 25 km, but if you scroll down and look at the towns along the way you’ll find lots of ways to break those up and reconfigure the stages.

The one stage that has been problematic is the stage from A Rúa to Quiroga. Gronze says it’s 26 but I think it’s longer and it does have some elevation. But as of a few years ago, people in Soldón opened their apartamentos and welcome pilgrims. They will even do shopping for you and have it waiting in the apartment.

Ok, I will go back to the shorter stages thread and do a day by day virtual planning thread. There’s a similar thread going on for the Lana, and it is a lot of fun. I will do one stage a day and let people chime in with observations and recommendations.

Thanks @Marbe2.

Great, I look forward to the postings! As you do it I will map put a plan.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great, I look forward to the postings! As you do it I will map put a plan.

Laurie, I had been scrollng down. I did see the five apartments..and that might be a possibility...we could contact them. But the next stage would concern us. Quiroga to Monforte de Lemos offers accommdations in Salcedo but seems a ways off the Camino. The terrain has some signifcant changes in terrain so we would absolutely need two days to do it.

Ok, @Marbe2, I’ve started a planning thread. I think I’ll close this one and direct people over there, where all your Invierno questions should be happily resolved.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/planning-a-“25-km-or-less”-camino-on-the-invierno.69233/

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back