• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD News from the USA Embassy in Madrid regarding June 7 (for USA citizens)

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

natefaith

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2009, 2014, 2017
The latest news straight from the US Embassy in Madrid.

EDIT: Here is the direct link to the news on their website: https://es.usembassy.gov/message-to...hildren-to-enter-spain-effective-june-7-2021/

Message to U.S. Citizens – Requirements for vaccinated U.S. citizens and their minor children to enter Spain effective June 7, 2021​

Event: Effective June 7, 2021, vaccinated U.S. citizens can travel from the United States to Spain if they present the following documents upon arrival in Spain:

1. QR code generated through the Spain Travel Health portal, obtained through the website or by downloading the SpTH app in Google Play or App Store for each traveler.

AND

2. Vaccination certificate showing they have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 more than 14 days before the flight to Spain (up to one year after the date of vaccination) with one of the European Medicines Agency-approved vaccines or the WHO approved vaccines. Please visit the Spain Travel Health portal (FAQs)for details about which vaccine certificate or document proving vaccination against COVID-19/diagnostic test/recovery of COVID-19 will be required to enter Spain.

Minor children can enter Spain if they are traveling with their vaccinated parents. However, all children 6 years of age or older will need to present a vaccination certificate or one of the following:

1. A COVID-19 test with a negative result, accepted by the Ministry of Health [NAAT (nucleic acid amplification test, e.g. RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA)/RAT (rapid antigen test)] taken within 48 hours prior to arrival in Spain,

OR

2. A medical certificate showing recovery from COVID (corresponds to a test no more than 90 days after the date of the first positive NAAT test result, no earlier than the 11th day following the date of that positive test result, and 3 months after serological test result.)

Children under 6 years of age are not subject to these requirements.

At this time, we do not have additional details about which specific vaccine certificates, such as those provided by the CDC, will be accepted to allow entry for U.S. citizens into Spain. Please refer to the Spain Travel Health portal (FAQs), and we will update our website with this information as soon as it is available.

If any of the certificates (vaccination, recovery, or test) are invalid, health authorities may require an antigen test taken at the airport or a PCR test after arrival and/or may not allow the passenger entry into Spain.

Please be aware that travel immediately following this change may involve extensive wait times upon arrival as implementation is rolled out.

* Unvaccinated U.S. citizens are still not permitted to enter Spain unless they meet very specific requirements or have already obtained special permission from the Government of Spain. Please check the Spanish regulations carefully before attempting to travel. *

Actions to Take:

· Please make sure you read all of the requirements before travelling to Spain at https://www.spth.gob.es/, the Spanish Ministry of Health website, as well as the regular entry requirements for Spain.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If I am reading this correctly: If I fly from the US to Spain with my forms filled in and proof of an acceptable vaccination in hand, I am good-to-go.
If I fly from the US and go through all the rigmarole to get into UK for 2-3 weeks, and then travel from UK to Spain, I still need only my forms and vaccination proof since UK is listed as exempted in the Appendix II.
Did I miss anything?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So if I’m reading correctly, you need vaccinated proof and an test 48 hrs prior?

So if I’m reading correctly, you need vaccinated proof and an test 48 hrs prior?
I am not following these details with great precision, because I have no plans to travel. However, it seems to me that you are reading it wrong. In the OP, the mention of a 48-hour test was referring to children older than 6 who are not vaccinated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are vaccinated, you don't need a test.

If you are not vaccinated, you cannot travel to Spain unless you have documentation to justify an urgent reason.

If you are not vaccinated and can justify an urgent reason for travelling to Spain you will need to fill in an online form where you must answer the following question, and if you can't say "yes" you can't travel to Spain:

Do you have a document certifying a negative result of an Active Infection Diagnostic Test (AIDT) (COVID-19), carried out in the 48h prior to your arrival in Spain or a COVID-19 VACCINATION or RECOVERY certificate?
These are the rules as of June 7.

Edited for clarification.

Last edited:
If you read it as the bureaucrat who wrote it, to me it says, "Americans can enter Spain from 7 June, if they:
  1. Obtain a QR code from the SPTH.es website. This is easy peasy. It tells the Spanish authorities who is coming and when. They can access the airline databases. The QR code either sits on your smartphone like an airline boarding pass, or a piece of paper.
  2. Have your COVID vaccination CARD or certificate stating when you were vaccinated, with what vaccine, the dosage, lot #, etc. The CDC card my pharmacist gave me and updated for my two vaccinations has all this information. I suggest keeping it with your passport for the duration of your visit to Spain.
  3. Meet all other Spanish and EU rules to enter the country. They have the right to set their own rules.
PERIOD!

Everything else relates to minor children.

Transiting third countries like France or the UK to get to Spain means you also have to meet France or the UK's COVID rules too. IMHO, it is advisable to fly directly to Spain.

If connections are needed, try to make them in your own country. So, coming from Florida, at present, I can connect in Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW) or London LHR). Clearly while the flight is longer and involves an extra segment from my Florida home to DFW, the DFW connection to arrive in MAD, remains the best choice, unless the rules change.

BTW - the rules, made by the Spanish and EU authorities, WILL change. That much you can take to the bank. Stay flexible.

Hope this helps.

Tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When you fill out the form on the the SPTH.es website, it says that you can only obtain a QR code if you have proof of a negative covid test 48 hrs before your departure. There is no mention whatsoever about vaccination or proof thereof. In any event, you cannot get a QR code until 48 hours before your departure.

It may be that they have not updated their website to reflect current requirements, but that is what the site said as of this morning.

If you are not vaccinated, you cannot travel to Spain unless you have documentation to justify an urgent reason.
Right. This part that is bolded and underlined is very important!

Unvaccinated U.S. citizens are still not permitted to enter Spain unless they meet very specific requirements or have already obtained special permission from the Government of Spain. Please check the Spanish regulations carefully before attempting to travel.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good for Spain!

Two things I had hoped for: no unvaccinated permitted, and forgo PCR testing to enter Spain! Both make it possible for vaccinated overseas travelers to enter Spain safer and easier! Both are winners for Spain as well!

Last edited:
I am not following these details with great precision, because I have no plans to travel. However, it seems to me that you are reading it wrong. In the OP, the mention of a 48-hour test was referring to children older than 6 who are not vaccinated.
I am flying American Air and they said I need TWO tests to enter...one before boarding and another IN SPAIN CITY OF ARRIVAL. Crazy.

I am flying American Air and they said I need TWO tests to enter...one before boarding and another IN SPAIN CITY OF ARRIVAL. Crazy.
Is your flight now or this week June 7-13 or later? It is useful to indicate dates, it will help to maintain a clear picture of the requirements set by Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Jun 21 2021
You have not been given accurate information by American Air.

The SPTH website is the Spanish government's website where everyone who travels to Spain MUST fill in the SPTH form. The Spanish authorities publish at regular intervals a list on their SPTH website that is valid for a certain time. Currently there is a list for May 24-June 6 and a second list for June 7-June 20. At this moment (Sunday) this webpage has not yet been updated to include the new rules published on Saturday - yesterday! A weekend! At the top of the webpage it says: Last updated on 31 May 2021.

All the information currently there is for Americans (and others) who are qualified to travel from the USA to Spain because they belong to a special category of people. Not for vaccinated Americans. Not yet. Spain's ban on travelling does still apply for them.

The information will change tomorrow.

SPTH has a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) in English that has already comprehensive information about the new rules that will apply for vaccinated Americans as of tomorrow, June 7. Go to https://www.spth.gob.es/faq?tab=2

Last edited:
Currently the SpTH website says, "Any such document shall contain at least the following information: Traveller's name and surnames, personal identification number used to obtain SpTH QR."

My US vaccination certificate has no ID number. Am I out of luck?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
USUALLY, "personal identification number" means passport number to someone from a country that does not have a national ID card scheme. You had to input your passport number to the SpTH website.

This is how I handle bus and train ticketing reservations. Where our EU friends input their ID card numbers, I input my national passport number. Never had a problem.

I just checked my CDC-standard COVID vaccination record card, issued and updated by my local pharmacist. There is nothing on the card that could be interpreted as a standard control or identity number.

The match between the COVID certificate / card and one's passport can be made by the name and DOB. These are on both documents.

If someone else knows more about this than me, PLEASE contribute.

Hope this helps.

Tom

If you are vaccinated, you don't need a test.

If you are not vaccinated and can justify an urgent reason for travelling to Spain you will need to fill in an online form where you must answer the following question, and if you can't say "yes" you can't travel to Spain:

Do you have a document certifying a negative result of an Active Infection Diagnostic Test (AIDT) (COVID-19), carried out in the 48h prior to your arrival in Spain or a COVID-19 VACCINATION or RECOVERY certificate?
These are the rules as of June 7.

Edited for clarification.
American Pilgrims on the Camino is saying in their FB page that according to this Boletín Oficial de Estado From the Spanish government that unvaccinated Americans will be allowed entry with a negative Covid test for general tourism travel.
My Spanish is no where near good enough to translate this document. I'm wondering why they are not following what it says on the US embassy site. It's a bit confusing.

If you read it as the bureaucrat who wrote it, to me it says, "Americans can enter Spain from 7 June, if they:
  1. Obtain a QR code from the SPTH.es website. This is easy peasy. It tells the Spanish authorities who is coming and when. They can access the airline databases. The QR code either sits on your smartphone like an airline boarding pass, or a piece of paper.
  2. Have your COVID vaccination CARD or certificate stating when you were vaccinated, with what vaccine, the dosage, lot #, etc. The CDC card my pharmacist gave me and updated for my two vaccinations has all this information. I suggest keeping it with your passport for the duration of your visit to Spain.
  3. Meet all other Spanish and EU rules to enter the country. They have the right to set their own rules.
PERIOD!

Everything else relates to minor children.

Transiting third countries like France or the UK to get to Spain means you also have to meet France or the UK's COVID rules too. IMHO, it is advisable to fly directly to Spain.

If connections are needed, try to make them in your own country. So, coming from Florida, at present, I can connect in Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW) or London LHR). Clearly while the flight is longer and involves an extra segment from my Florida home to DFW, the DFW connection to arrive in MAD, remains the best choice, unless the rules change.

BTW - the rules, made by the Spanish and EU authorities, WILL change. That much you can take to the bank. Stay flexible.

Hope this helps.

Tom
I hope you are starting to feel better and your take is correct. At least in my mind. Most everything does relate to minor children. Most importantly we should have minor children around we do not screw up following the pretty simple Spanish requirements on line and scanning the QR code onto our phones for us! I can't think of another use for minor children that doesn't cost us money or sleepless nights!

Currently the SpTH website says, "Any such document shall contain at least the following information: Traveller's name and surnames, personal identification number used to obtain SpTH QR."

I remember that a forum member returned to Spain last summer as an “essential traveler,” when the requirements were that the PCR negative test had to include the passport or other national identification number. What this traveler did was get the results printed out and asked the lab/doctor/someone to write the passport number on the hard copy and then sign and stamp it. And it worked. Granted, this was dealing with a PCR test requirement and not a covid vaccination requirement, so it may be perilous to draw an analogy given the bureaucratic maze.

But surely officials in Spain who are implementing this program know that the overwhelming majority of US citizens who got vaccinated have a little handwitten card with the CDC logo on it and, if you’re lucky, name and date of birth. So I expect we will have the definitive answer as soon as people start trying to get into Spapin.

I remember that a forum member returned to Spain last summer as an “essential traveler,” when the requirements were that the PCR negative test had to include the passport or other national identification number. What this traveler did was get the results printed out and asked the lab/doctor/someone to write the passport number on the hard copy and then sign and stamp it. And it worked. Granted, this was dealing with a PCR test requirement and not a covid vaccination requirement, so it may be perilous to draw an analogy given the bureaucratic maze.

But surely officials in Spain who are implementing this program know that the overwhelming majority of US citizens who got vaccinated have a little handwitten card with the CDC logo on it and, if you’re lucky, name and date of birth. So I expect we will have the definitive answer as soon as people start trying to get into Spapin.
My card has my name ,DOB and specifics about the virus. I can also access this information online in my vaccination history from my chart with this hospital. But it gives no more information than the card does!

American Pilgrims on the Camino is saying in their FB page that according to this Boletín Oficial de Estado From the Spanish government that unvaccinated Americans will be allowed entry with a negative Covid test for general tourism travel.
The American Pilgrims on the Camino group ought to correct their information on their FB page. According to this Boletín Oficial de Estado AND this Boletín Oficial de Estado, point k) AND the Annex in this Boletín Official de Estado, where the name of the United States is absent.

Edited: The above decrees, taken together, all of them valid, mean that the United States is NOT on the list of countries from where everybody is allowed to fly to Spain. It means that everybody in the US is banned from travelling to Spain except those who are vaccinated; they are allowed to travel to Spain and they don't need a prior Covid test.

Last edited:
The American Pilgrims on the Camino group ought to correct their information on their FB page. According to this Boletín Oficial de Estado AND this Boletín Oficial de Estado, point k).
Thanks. They did just post this.
Folks, while the bulletin says that you can enter Spain if you provide a Negative COVID test results and that implies unvaccinated travelers can enter Spain, it is important to note that there has been no explicit statement from the government of Spain stating whether unvaccinated travelers will be allowed ir not starting June 7th. If you are unvaccinated, we suggest that you research this matter further by calling your consulate and continue monitoring official sources of information. We cannot advice you any further at this point as we are only sharing information we have found in official sources.

I do not think that-Americans who have no passport numbers on there vaccination cards should worry. As long as one has the QR code, Since your original vaccination Card has your name and DOB, and an acceptable Vaccine with dates,that, IMO should be sufficient.

It would be too complicated..to require large numbers of tourists to run around getting their Passport numbers on “ very different” signed paper forms, from who knows, on different formats, .and then bring all this paperwork for Control to-examine. It would be madness. IMO, that process works for the small number who have been traveling abroad but will not work as numbers increase. I think @t2andreo has got it right! But our June & July pilgrims may sort it out for us. .....unless the process needs further modifications down the road. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I posted the verbiage from the US embassy page along with a link on the American Pilgrims FB page yesterday, but it was removed as it contradicted what they said that the Spanish Government bulletin said. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I posted the verbiage from the US embassy page along with a link on the American Pilgrims FB page yesterday, but it was removed as it contradicted what they said that the Spanish Government bulletin said. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Shall I spell it out for them?

Orden INT/657/2020, in the current version (today), says that Americans (and many others) are in general not allowed to enter Spain.

Orden INT/552/2021, published on Saturday, adds a paragraph to Orden INT/657/2020, that says that as of June 7, vaccinated Americans (and many other vaccinated persons) will now be allowed to enter Spain. In addition to the categories of people (lots) who have already been allowed to enter Spain for months.

Resolución de 4 de junio de 2021, also published on Saturday and the text on which the FB group's interpretation is based, merely describes what all the people who will now be allowed to travel to Spain (vaccinated Americans, vaccinated and unvaccinated Britons, vaccinated and unvaccinated EU Europeans, vaccinated others, other others) must do when they want to travel to Spain.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, except the topic is about bureaucracy and related hassles, but why are Americans who were fully vaccinated before leaving the U.S. still required to have a negative COVID test pre/arrival?

EDIT: Here is the direct link to the news on their website: https://es.usembassy.gov/message-to...hildren-to-enter-spain-effective-june-7-2021/

Message to U.S. Citizens – Requirements for vaccinated U.S. citizens and their minor children to enter Spain effective June 7, 2021​

Event: Effective June 7, 2021, vaccinated U.S. citizens can travel from the United States to Spain if they present the following documents upon arrival in Spain:

1. QR code generated through the Spain Travel Health portal, obtained through the website or by downloading the SpTH app in Google Play or App Store for each traveler.

AND

2. Vaccination certificate showing they have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 more than 14 days before the flight to Spain (up to one year after the date of vaccination) with one of the European Medicines Agency-approved vaccines or the WHO approved vaccines. Please visit the Spain Travel Health portal (FAQs)for details about which vaccine certificate or document proving vaccination against COVID-19/diagnostic test/recovery of COVID-19 will be required to enter Spain.

Minor children can enter Spain if they are traveling with their vaccinated parents. However, all children 6 years of age or older will need to present a vaccination certificate or one of the following:

1. A COVID-19 test with a negative result, accepted by the Ministry of Health [NAAT (nucleic acid amplification test, e.g. RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA)/RAT (rapid antigen test)] taken within 48 hours prior to arrival in Spain,

OR

2. A medical certificate showing recovery from COVID (corresponds to a test no more than 90 days after the date of the first positive NAAT test result, no earlier than the 11th day following the date of that positive test result, and 3 months after serological test result.)

At this time, we do not have additional details about which specific vaccine certificates, such as those provided by the CDC, will be accepted to allow entry for U.S. citizens into Spain. Please refer to the Spain Travel Health portal (FAQs), and we will update our website with this information as soon as it is available.

If any of the certificates (vaccination, recovery, or test) are invalid, health authorities may require an antigen test taken at the airport or a PCR test after arrival and/or may not allow the passenger entry into Spain.

Please be aware that travel immediately following this change may involve extensive wait times upon arrival as implementation is rolled out.

* Unvaccinated U.S. citizens are still not permitted to enter Spain unless they meet very specific requirements or have already obtained special permission from the Government of Spain. Please check the Spanish regulations carefully before attempting to travel. *

Actions to Take:

· Please make sure you read all of the requirements before travelling to Spain at https://www.spth.gob.es/, the Spanish Ministry of Health website, as well as the regular entry requirements for Spain.
Has anyone tried to download the SpTH app yet? I just did and it won't let me open it saying "This server could not prove that it is www.mscbs.gob.es, it's security certificate is not trusted by your device's operating system. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection."

why are Americans who were fully vaccinated before leaving the U.S. still required to have a negative COVID test pre/arrival?
I have no knowledge of the actual requirements, but the answer to this question would be that it is still uncertain to what extent vaccinated people can carry the virus without symptoms. Thus a negative test would be an additional public protection.

The other side of the issue... have requirements to re-enter the United States changed for people who are vaccinated? Are you still required to have proof of a negative Covid test result before being allowed to board a flight to the united States?

I haven't been on the FB APOC page for a long time but I hope there's clarity for you all there soon! :) Spain's official announcements always assume that one knows the announcements that came BEFORE them. So a prior notice might say that travelers from certain countries were not allowed in. Then a current notice comes along and might say that allowed visitors only need a negative test. But the first notice, the prohibition against travelers from certain countries, etc. would still stand. It's a roundabout way of making announcements, a bit different from the way the US makes announcements.

So what Kathar1na has here is explicit and helpful, as one needs to take all the ordens and boletins together:

Shall I spell it out for them?

Orden INT/657/2020, in the current version (today), says that Americans (and many others) are in general not allowed to enter Spain.

Orden INT/552/2021, published on Saturday, adds a paragraph to Orden INT/657/2020, that says that as of June 7, vaccinated Americans (and many other vaccinated persons) will now be allowed to enter Spain. In addition to the categories of people (lots) that have already been allowed to enter Spain for months.

Resolución de 4 de junio de 2021, also published on Saturday and the text that the FB bases their interpretation upon, merely describes what all the people that will now be allowed to travel to Spain (vaccinated Americans, vaccinated and unvaccinated Britons, vaccinated and unvaccinated EU Europeans, vaccinated others, other others) must do when they want to travel to Spain.

Has anyone tried to download the SpTH app yet? I just did and it won't let me open it saying "This server could not prove that it is www.mscbs.gob.es, it's security certificate is not trusted by your device's operating system. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection."
Have you tried the SPTH website (instead of the app)? That's what I used last year when I flew back to Spain. Sometimes apps are only available in certain countries' app stores.

The other side of the issue... have requirements to re-enter the United States changed for people who are vaccinated? Are you still required to have proof of a negative Covid test result before being allowed to board a flight to the united States?

The last update from the CDC was on May 7 and it looks like testing is still required, even if you've been vaccinated.

"What if I have had a COVID-19 vaccine or have tested positive for antibodies? Do I still need a negative COVID-19 test or documentation of recovery from COVID-19?
Yes, at this time all air passengers traveling to the US, regardless of vaccination or antibody status, are required to provide a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery."

Can't wait for them to change this!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is fantastic news. After being on a small island in the Caribbean (St John, Virgin Islands) for the last few years I'm ready for a few, very long walks. Bought my tickets for June 20th; I'm on my way.
Tank you for the post.

Yes. I can open the app on my iphone and the links open in safari on my phone. I cannot on my laptop without bypassing the security.

I think that the 48hours also refers to the time that you have to complete the Spanish Health form and receive the QR code, before you can travel.

Not crazy, you do realise that you can be positive with a vaccination. Take the case of Spain’s brilliant golfer John Rahm who was 6 shots ahead leading into the final day of the memorial classic in the US, he gets told that he has Covid 19 on the 18th green and has to withdraw. Most countries including Australia demand testing before departure with a negative result and another on arrival.

Not crazy, you do realise that you can be positive with a vaccination. Take the case of Spain’s brilliant golfer John Rahm who was 6 shots ahead leading into the final day of the memorial classic in the US, he gets told that he has Covid 19 on the 18th green and has to withdraw.
According to the USA Today we don't know-if Rahm was vaccinated?
“The tour said Rahm remained asymptomatic. Andy Levinson, the tour's senior vice president who has overseen its COVID-19 protocols, could not say whether Rahm had been vaccinated, and Rahm didn't mention that in his statement.

Players who are fully vaccinated — 14 days past the full vaccination cycle — are not subject to testing as a result of close contact. Levinson said “north of 50%” of players have been fully vaccinated.” https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ces-and-takes-36-hole-memorial-lead/45224299/

How come the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) which is the US government agency insist on NOT going to Spain... That's freaking confusing, isn't it?
No. It is quite easy to understand. There are different agencies and mandates, the situation has been changing fast, and it takes some time to adjust. Anyone who is confused should probably stay home a while longer.

If I am reading this correctly: If I fly from the US to Spain with my forms filled in and proof of an acceptable vaccination in hand, I am good-to-go.
If I fly from the US and go through all the rigmarole to get into UK for 2-3 weeks, and then travel from UK to Spain, I still need only my forms and vaccination proof since UK is listed as exempted in the Appendix II.
Did I miss anything?
This is a question I’m trying to answer too. I want to fly to the UK first to see family but things are kind of up in the air there right now with the Indian variant. Debating whether to do Camino first then go home to the UK.

How come the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) which is the US government agency insist on NOT going to Spain as it is supposedly at the highiest 4th covid level, and at the same time the US Embassy in Madrid basically invites all vaccinated Americans to visit Spain. That's freaking confusing, isn't it? Doesn't it mean your insurance is invalid if you go to Spain?

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-spain
I noticed you joined today, Welcome! We have all been trying to weigh the information being presented to us. If you are very concerned about the current CDC guidelines, it probably is best for you not to travel. But I note that CDC also gives guidelines to follow if one IS traveling to the region. So there is not a ban. And as more people are vaccinated in Spain, I believe CDC will reevaluate. I am not traveling until September and will continue, of course, to review and evaluate all data available. I am now fully vaccinated and do not currently worry about getting Covid 19 when in Spain. After following all the guidelines for 15 months, in the country with the highest number of fatalities in the world, I am confident that it is possible to travel safely if one follows the protocols and is vaccinated. And now I even have N95 masks!

Last edited:
How come the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) which is the US government agency insist on NOT going to Spain as it is supposedly at the highiest 4th covid level, and at the same time the US Embassy in Madrid basically invites all vaccinated Americans to visit Spain. That's freaking confusing, isn't it? Doesn't it mean your insurance is invalid if you go to Spain?

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-spain
Good question about the insurance coverage. I would probably clarify with the company insuring you just incase.

You need to fill out the health form 48 hours prior to your arrival date which will get you the QR code. That and any proof of fully vaccinated (be it in electronic or paper format) gets you into Spain with no requirements of Covid test or any quarantine
We still need a test to get back home 😟

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Did I miss anything?
You'll need the forms to travel from the UK in those circumstances, i.e. you'll have stayed in that country for 2-3 weeks -- but no proof of vaccination is currently required of travellers from the UK to Spain, by exemption from the norm.

By contrast, if you travel from US to UK, stay for 2-3 days, and then travel to Spain, you will need such proof, as you would not in that case be considered as travelling from the UK, but from the US. Only after a long enough stay in a country (can't remember/don't know if that's 10 or 14 days) are you considered for these particular purposes as travelling "from" that country if you then go to another.

The only real exception to these complicated rules is if, having travelled to a country in the EU, you then travel across a land border with another country by land travel (not air or sea), where no particular measures have been implemented for such travel. In that case, then you will only need the papers and stuff to enter the first country, but not the other.

Downloaded and started app, no problem. It is just tricky to fill out b/c every blank must be filled [like apt number, even if you don't live in an apt.]

We need someone who is travelling soon, from the US, and who is going to complete their SpTH form. This is how it works as of now: You choose between the EU Covid Digital Certificate and Other Certificate. When you pick Other Certificate you enter the required details about your vaccination. You pick your vaccine from a drop down menu:

Which certificate.jpg

When you have clicked on Other Certificate:
Vaccination details.jpg

Last edited:
Below is the drop-down menu in the SpTH form that every vaccinated American must fill in and where you pick the vaccine that you had received. I wonder whether this is a menu for the European traveller or for the global traveller. BioNTech = Pfizer; Janssen = J&J.

Vaccine drop down menu.jpg

Dear Marbe2, Karen from Cali, C Clearly

Thank you for your warm welcome and your wise words (I actually have been lurking the forum for quite a while). One of the reasons I have finally spoken is because I have many pilgrim friends in the UK, (some of them also quietly lurking this forum) and they are intimidated by the advice from different government agencies in their own country about going or not going to Spain. And I keep telling them, advisory is only advisory. It's not the law.

I hope that at this point my friends from the UK realize that all the Americans starting to pour into Spain from today on, by hundreds and thousands, actually violate the advisory of their own top American government health agency (see it here)

It should be a good eye-opener for my British pilgrim friends who maybe will finally stop hesitating and decide to come to Spain and start rebuilding the Camino, which needs everyone, the Americans, the British, the Koreans and everyone else. The more diversity, the merrier :) but it's beyond the scope of this thread. Thank you for reading,
You'll need the forms to travel from the UK in those circumstances, i.e. you'll have stayed in that country for 2-3 weeks -- but no proof of vaccination is currently required of travellers from the UK to Spain, by exemption from the norm.

By contrast, if you travel from US to UK, stay for 2-3 days, and then travel to Spain, you will need such proof, as you would not in that case be considered as travelling from the UK, but from the US. Only after a long enough stay in a country (can't remember/don't know if that's 10 or 14 days) are you considered for these particular purposes as travelling "from" that country if you then go to another.

The only real exception to these complicated rules is if, having travelled to a country in the EU, you then travel across a land border with another country by land travel (not air or sea), where no particular measures have been implemented for such travel. In that case, then you will only need the papers and stuff to enter the first country, but not the other.
Helpful. Thank you.

@Prentiss Riddle, I posted already about this in the Lockdowns and Reopenings thread. Below is a good link to new Spanish government information that is presented in a less chaotic and more coherent manner and in better English than on the SpTH website. It is information recently published by the Spanish Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Tourism. I discovered it because @Iberia_en showed screenshots on their Twitter account when replying to enquiries from customers.

The direct link is here. Otherwise, it is on the Travel Safe Spain website, click on the link for Latest news, top left of the webpage.

The certificate of vaccination that American tourists must have in their possession does not have to include their passport number.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Slightly off topic, except the topic is about bureaucracy and related hassles, but why are Americans who were fully vaccinated before leaving the U.S. still required to have a negative COVID test pre/arrival?
Everyone arriving in the US, both citizens and non-citizens are required to have a COVID test before arriving here per a Presidential Executive Order- 21Jan21. This has not been changed. We can only hope the situation will become reciprocal with vaccination soon. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...-safety-in-domestic-and-international-travel/ ☹️ 💉🩹

Information recently published by the Spanish Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Tourism.
The direct link is here. Otherwise, it is on the Travel Safe Spain website, click on the link for Latest news, top left of the webpage.

The certificate of vaccination that American tourists must have in their possession does not have to include their passport number.
Another direct quote from the Spanish Ministry in their new information document:

The new regulations, described in this document, will come into force on 7 June. The main new features are: the acceptance of EU-approved rapid antigen tests and vaccination and recovery certificates for travellers from the European Union and European Economic Area countries, as well as the opening to tourists from non-EU countries with vaccination certificates.
This ministerial document about the New Health Requirements for Entry into Spain as from 7 June should be made compulsory reading.

@Prentiss Riddle, I posted already about this in the Lockdowns and Reopenings thread. Below is a good link to new Spanish government information that is presented in a less chaotic and more coherent manner and in better English than on the SpTH website. It is information recently published by the Spanish Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Tourism. I discovered it because @Iberia_en showed screenshots on their Twitter account when replying to enquiries from customers.

@Kathar1na
I must take a moment to thank you personally for the essential information which you have provided to myself and other forum members, and continue to provide, as to govenment requirements applying to those of us who desire entry into Spain at this time. I am immensely grateful to you, as I continue my preparations for my September camino. Stay safe and well. I, for one, believe that this forum needs you more than ever at present.

Not crazy, you do realise that you can be positive with a vaccination. Take the case of Spain’s brilliant golfer John Rahm who was 6 shots ahead leading into the final day of the memorial classic in the US, he gets told that he has Covid 19 on the 18th green and has to withdraw. Most countries including Australia demand testing before departure with a negative result and another on arrival.
Are you sure John Rahm was ever vaccinated?? Either way it was an expensive lesson.

€83,-

AND

OR

Actions to Take:

It is not true that U.S. Citizens have to be vaccinated before entering Spain. I’m not sure why our U.S. Embassy in Spain’s website is misleading. Check the link above - directly from SPAIN’s government site. I am here now. I am from California. I only showed evidence of a negative PCR test. Scroll to below the blue box that says “Modify QRCode.” Directly under that it talks about what kinds of proof are required:

“From 7 June 2021, all those passengers from a country/area that has a SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus risk, must present, a certificate or document certifying vaccination against COVID-19 or a negative certificate of a Diagnostic Test of Active Infection or a certificate of Recovery after having passed this disease in order to enter Spain.” (My bolded added).

It is not true that U.S. Citizens have to be vaccinated before entering Spain. I’m not sure why our U.S. Embassy in Spain’s website is misleading. Check the link above - directly from SPAIN’s government site. I am here now. I am from California. I only showed evidence of a negative PCR test. Scroll to below the blue box that says “Modify QRCode.” Directly under that it talks about what kinds of proof are required:

“From 7 June 2021, all those passengers from a country/area that has a SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus risk, must present, a certificate or document certifying vaccination against COVID-19 or a negative certificate of a Diagnostic Test of Active Infection or a certificate of Recovery after having passed this disease in order to enter Spain.” (My bolded added).
Nope. When they say all passengers they are talking about all passengers who are eligible to enter Spain. Passengers traveling for essential reasons have from the US have been able to enter Spain for quite a while. Now fully vaccinated US citizens and citizens from other countries can now travel for tourism. The US Embassy message is correct.

This is from today, and in English:

I am travelling to Spain for tourist purposes from a country that does not belong to the European Union or the European Economic Area, what entry requirements are applied to me?

You will have to check the LIST OF EUROPEAN UNION/EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA COUNTRIES and LIST OF THIRD COUNTRIES: 1. If you are travelling from a country or territory included in the list of countries with low incidence, excluded from the risk zone, you will be able to travel without the need for a diagnostic test or a certificate of vaccination or immunity. At the moment the countries included in this list are: 1. Australia 2. Israel 3. Japan 4. New Zealand 5. Rwanda 6. Singapore 7. South Korea 8. Thailand 9. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 10. China and the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macao (subject to reciprocity)

2. If you are travelling from a country or territory that is not included in the list of exempted countries, from 7 June tourists will be allowed to enter if they have a certificate of vaccination issued by the competent authorities of the country of origin from 14 days SECRETARÍA DE ESTADO DE TURISMO after the date of administration of the last dose of the complete vaccination schedule. The vaccines accepted shall be those authorised by the European Medicines Agency or those that have completed the World Health Organisation’s emergency use process. Currently, these vaccines are those produced by Pfizer-Biontech, Moderna, Astra-Zeneca, Jansen/Johnson&Johnson, Sinovac and Sinopharm.

In Braga I can help you. can contact me by email
Nope. When they say all passengers they are talking about all passengers who are eligible to enter Spain. Passengers traveling for essential reasons have from the US have been able to enter Spain for quite a while. Now fully vaccinated US citizens and citizens from other countries can now travel for tourism. The US Embassy message is correct.

This is from today, and in English:

I am travelling to Spain for tourist purposes from a country that does not belong to the European Union or the European Economic Area, what entry requirements are applied to me?

You will have to check the LIST OF EUROPEAN UNION/EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA COUNTRIES and LIST OF THIRD COUNTRIES: 1. If you are travelling from a country or territory included in the list of countries with low incidence, excluded from the risk zone, you will be able to travel without the need for a diagnostic test or a certificate of vaccination or immunity. At the moment the countries included in this list are: 1. Australia 2. Israel 3. Japan 4. New Zealand 5. Rwanda 6. Singapore 7. South Korea 8. Thailand 9. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 10. China and the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macao (subject to reciprocity)

2. If you are travelling from a country or territory that is not included in the list of exempted countries, from 7 June tourists will be allowed to enter if they have a certificate of vaccination issued by the competent authorities of the country of origin from 14 days SECRETARÍA DE ESTADO DE TURISMO after the date of administration of the last dose of the complete vaccination schedule. The vaccines accepted shall be those authorised by the European Medicines Agency or those that have completed the World Health Organisation’s emergency use process. Currently, these vaccines are those produced by Pfizer-Biontech, Moderna, Astra-Zeneca, Jansen/Johnson&Johnson, Sinovac and Sinopharm.
In Braga I can help you. can contact me by email

I wonder whether this is a menu for the European traveller or for the global traveller. BioNTech = Pfizer; Janssen = J&J.
That is a list of the acceptable vaccines in the EU -- they're the same for everyone.

Those jabbed with the Russian Sputnik V, for example, are out of luck for the time being, and will need a negative test instead IF that's sufficient for travel from their country.

Last edited:
That is a list of the acceptable vaccines in the EU -- they're the same for everyone.

Those jabbed with the Russian Sputnik V, for example, are out of luck for the time being, and will need a negative test instead IF that's sufficient for travel from their country.
I understand what @Kathar1na means. In the US the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is known simply as Pfizer, and the Janssen/J&J vaccine is known as J&J.

I understand what @Kathar1na means. In the US the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is known simply as Pfizer, and the Janssen/J&J vaccine is known as J&J.
I think she was asking something else ?

Anyway, the French on their side use "Pfizer" and "Janssen". Guess each country will have its own naming customs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, I was surprised to see that the makers of the SpTH app had chosen these labels for the admissible vaccines in the drop down menu. Especially the chosen label BioNTech Manufacturing GmbH surprised me. Many people will not know that Pfizer and BioNTech denotes the same vaccine.

Hence my question whether the labels in the menu are somehow location-sensitive and whether users in the US see a differently labelled menu than the one I see when I use the SpTH app. Just pure curiosity.

@Albertagirl, thank you for your kind words although I feel a bit embarrassed when I am put in the spotlight, even a very positive spotlight 🤗. I enjoy researching and sharing accurate reliable information. I don't post much about my personal Camino experience and I rarely share my private Camino photos. So this is my way of paying back or paying forward for the help I received, or shall receive, from other pilgrims.

I know that many forum members plan to travel to Spain in September or October. Strictly speaking, they don't need to know current Spanish rules, they need to know which rules will apply to them when they travel. However, I get the impression that it is reassuring to know and understand the current situation. Especially when you try to acquaint yourself with current regulations and it turns out that the current regulations are already less burdensome and less cumbersome to comply with than wrongly described by many.

I invested quite a bit of time this week for this purpose. I enjoy it, as I said already, and I am also pleased with the way my ability of reading Spanish has improved during the past 15 months. Not only do I know where to find Spanish decrees such as orden and resolución, I also know now when and how they get amended and I can read them effortlessly now. 🤓

Buen future camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Good news! I wrote to the Houston consulate and sent an image of my vaccination card. They replied,

"Yes, everything looks correct. Remember to fill the online sanitary form (QR)."

So according to at least one consular official, the ID number is not required. Hooray!

The bad news is that my June trip is off for unrelated reasons. See you on the trail in October, I hope.

The United States has downgraded its warning on travel to France, Italy, Portugal, and Spain from level 4 (no non-essential travel) to 3 (travel permitted for the vaccinated). The UK remains in level 3.

Are you sure John Rahm was ever vaccinated?? Either way it was an expensive lesson.
I read that although his vaccination status hasn’t been confirmed one way or another, that he would not have been required to take daily COVID testing if he was vaccinated. You’re right though, a very expensive lesson! He possibly lost out on over $1.6 million.

€83,-
Dear Marbe2, Karen from Cali, C Clearly

Thank you for your warm welcome and your wise words (I actually have been lurking the forum for quite a while). One of the reasons I have finally spoken is because I have many pilgrim friends in the UK, (some of them also quietly lurking this forum) and they are intimidated by the advice from different government agencies in their own country about going or not going to Spain. And I keep telling them, advisory is only advisory. It's not the law.

I hope that at this point my friends from the UK realize that all the Americans starting to pour into Spain from today on, by hundreds and thousands, actually violate the advisory of their own top American government health agency (see it here)

It should be a good eye-opener for my British pilgrim friends who maybe will finally stop hesitating and decide to come to Spain and start rebuilding the Camino, which needs everyone, the Americans, the British, the Koreans and everyone else. The more diversity, the merrier :) but it's beyond the scope of this thread. Thank you for reading,

Devan
CDC just updated Spain to level 3. Ok to go with vaccinations.

For anyone who is wondering why I deleted my recent post about Canadian restrictions for returning travellers, which might make my camino impossible: The next CBC news report announced as breaking news that the requirement for hotel quarantine has been lifted for vaccinated travellers. So maybe all will be favourable for my trip. But who knows what will be required next?

There’s more good news for travelers looking to visit Europe this summer.

Following the news that fully vaccinated Americans will be allowed to travel to the European Union this summer, Spain has announced it will reopen to international visitors starting June 7. Eligible travelers must be able to show digital proof of vaccination, a negative COVID-19 test or proof that they recently recovered from the virus.
Spain will be taking part in a pilot program for the EU’s digital COVID-19 health certificatethis month, with the goal of implementing it in time for the June 7 reopening.

Tourists will have to show proof of vaccination, that they have tested negative if they have not yet received the vaccine or that they have recently recovered from COVID-19. According to the Telegraph, Fernando Valdés Verelst, the Spanish tourism minister, said his country is pushing to make the digital passport “mutually recognized.”
“Spain is going to be ready in June to use this digital certificate,” Valdés Verelst said. “We are doing a pilot program in May, in all our 46 airports. We are going to give all these travelers that certainty. Spain is going to be ready in June to tell all travelers worldwide that you can visit us.”

€83,-
The next challenge to my travel arrangements was totally unexpected. Late this morning, Air Canada cancelled all my reservations, blaming unidentified official compulsion. The new reservations which they sent me did not work for me. There was no available booking that did not necessitate at least one transfer in Europe, outside Spanish territory. Finally, I managed to contact an Air Canada reservations worker, who listened to what I wanted, and gave me most of it, at no additional cost. So now I am flying to Valencia, with one stop in London Heathrow, and home to Calgary from Madrid, with one stop in Frankfurt. No travel through or to Barcelona. I have decided to accept landing in countries which might have unknown versions of pandemic regulations. But I feel confident to manage whatever comes and relieved that expensive and challenging quarantine regulations seem to be lessening. Maybe testing requirements will fade away too. It will be good to be able to focus on walking my camino.

It appears you can show a negative COVId test to be allowed into Spain.

The next challenge to my travel arrangements was totally unexpected. Late this morning, Air Canada cancelled all my reservations, blaming unidentified official compulsion. The new reservations which they sent me did not work for me. There was no available booking that did not necessitate at least one transfer in Europe, outside Spanish territory. Finally, I managed to contact an Air Canada reservations worker, who listened to what I wanted, and gave me most of it, at no additional cost. So now I am flying to Valencia, with one stop in London Heathrow, and home to Calgary from Madrid, with one stop in Frankfurt. No travel through or to Barcelona. I have decided to accept landing in countries which might have unknown versions of pandemic regulations. But I feel confident to manage whatever comes and relieved that expensive and challenging quarantine regulations seem to be lessening. Maybe testing requirements will fade away too. It will be good to be able to focus on walking my camino.
Sorry to hear it, but all the airlines are doing this. Their demand for seats is increasing faster than they can pull planes out of the desert and get them ready to fly (and maybe labor shortages too). Most of my flights since January (about two a month) have had some involuntary change at some point. They make the changes and plead that it's beyond their control(really not true) knowing many will accept it, some will just cancel and rollover, and the rest (you) they will just work out if they have to. Good luck.

I guess I have not been clear, above. I am very pleased with the changes, which take me to Valencia, where I start my camino, and through Madrid, on my way home. I am getting focused on walking my camino and the Way is opening to me.

So if we are NOT vaccinated we are not allowed in?
Correct. Except for purposes of essential travel with advance permission.
It appears you can show a negative COVId test to be allowed into Spain.
Only if you are from other EU countries, from a country on the "safe" list, or are traveling for an essential purpose with advance permission.

It's in this announcement - read section B: https://travelsafe.spain.info/wp-co...ADA_EN_ESPANA_A_PARTIR_DEL_7_DE-JUNIO_eng.pdf

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The real issue is returning to the U.S. (Unless Ivar opens a testing clinic in SdC). From the US CDC:
  • Before you arrive in the United States:
    • All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated people, are required to have a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 3 days before travel or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months before they board a flight to the United States.
  • After travel:
    • Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after travel.
    • Self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms; isolate and get tested if you develop symptoms.
    • Follow all state and local recommendations or requirements after travel.

In case there's any confusion regarding Americans traveling to Spain, this still stands:

In case there's any confusion regarding Americans traveling to Spain, this still stands:

Thanks, good info! Hopefully this will evolve over time, so the embassy site will be a must check.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am about to get my second COVID-19 vaccination on Sunday, so I decided to check what requirements the Spanish government has to accept the documentation given when I am vaccinated. I don't know what they actually do, or will do, when I arrive. But my "Immunization Record" from my first vaccination does not contain one item which the English translation of "New Health Requirements for Entry into Spain as From 7 June" requires to be on the document, that is, Item no. 5. "Issuing country." Public healthcare in Canada is a provincial responsibility and my immunization record from my first shot refers only to Alberta Health Care, Alberta being my province of residence. In fact, the vaccination doses are purchased and distributed to the provinces by the central government in Ottawa, but this is not indicated on the document. I am hoping that this will not cause a problem when I submit my certificates to the appropriate authorities on my trip to Spain.

I am about to get my second COVID-19 vaccination on Sunday, so I decided to check what requirements the Spanish government has to accept the documentation given when I am vaccinated. I don't know what they actually do, or will do, when I arrive. But my "Immunization Record" from my first vaccination does not contain one item which the English translation of "New Health Requirements for Entry into Spain as From 7 June" requires to be on the document, that is, Item no. 5. "Issuing country." Public healthcare in Canada is a provincial responsibility and my immunization record from my first shot refers only to Alberta Health Care, Alberta being my province of residence. In fact, the vaccination doses are purchased and distributed to the provinces by the central government in Ottawa, but this is not indicated on the document. I am hoping that this will not cause a problem when I submit my certificates to the appropriate authorities on my trip to Spain.
Albertagirl……. Read what @El Cascayal wrote today fromMadrid! It should put you at ease….

Ok @ Marbe2 Et al. We arrived in Barajas T4s and took the customary route to immigration. Lines were very long and the immigration people did a great job of moving the hordes of people along. Coming from US all they wanted was ti see your digital QR form you showed it at immigration and then it was scanned after you arrive at T4. Very organized and quick. Done in 30-40 minutes. The flight from Miami took 24!!!hours😱Connecting cities bypassed 14 - 16 of those traveling to Spain with AA were put on standby by Iberia. Nightmare, missed all my connections including alternative train plans that were paid for. This was because of all the flight delays of about 5 hours. Spanish immigration could not have been smoother.

I am beginning to see that it will be impossible to fill in this information honestly, because the a number of the questions are not possible to answer. They are based on various assumptions which are likely to be inaccurate for me as a pilgrim and as a citizen of another country. The forms are intended for persons who are flying to Spain, but from what I have seen so far, are designed as if all countries, and travellers fit a conventional Spanish design. So I have set myself a project. I shall attempt to fill in the SpTH form to give those who are receiving it the information which I think they want, as completely as I can, while admitting that some will not be accurate. I don't know what I can do about "contact information" if they will not accept my email, as there will be absolutely no other way to contact me between when I leave Valencia on the Levante and when I arrive in Santiago a couple of months later. This is definitely going to be an exercise in creative writing. I had better get started on it, as I can see that there will be many decisions to be made if I am to fill it in completely. At the rate that vaccinations are going forward and case numbers are dropping, there is a good chance that Canada will no longer be considered a country of risk by the time that I fly in September.

Last edited:
I am beginning to see that it will be impossible to fill in this information honestly, because the a number of the questions are not possible to answer.
Do no worry about this, @Albertagirl.

This is how it works when you fill in the Spanish SpTH form for travelling to Spain to obtain their SpTH QR code: It is you who indicates in the online form: your name, your date of birth, the vaccine you had administered (you pick it from a drop down menu), the date it has been administered, the country of vaccination.

At no point in time do you have to confirm that these data are on your vaccination card. Unlike EU Europeans who will have to upload their EU vaccination certificates, you will not have to upload your vaccination card.

On the basis of the data that a traveller enters into the online form, the data will be 'checked' by the IT system. When the vaccination data entered by the traveller correspond to the legal requirements, the SpTH QR code will be generated.

As you can see from current reports, there is no systematic control of your vaccination card at arrival in Spain. The SpTH QR code is the all-important item that the traveller must have and must show.

This is how it works for international arrivals of vaccinated travellers in Spain. It remains to be seen how the other EU countries will handle this.

Last edited:
Since Air Canada cancelled all my flights, I have rebooked with British Airways from London Heathrow to Valencia and with Lufthansa from Madrid to Frankfurt. My other two flights (Calgary to London and Frankfurt to Calgary) are with Air Canada. As these bookings are with Air Canada, I feel confident that I can sort out Canadian pandemic restrictions on those flights, or if I have an hour or so to wait on the phone I can even ask an Air Canada employee. I have so far had no success with finding out about airport restrictions when changing planes at London Heathrow or at Frankfurt (except that the Air Canada agent who rebooked flights for me assured me that there were no restrictions on record for Frankfurt. On the London Heathrow website, I could not find any mention of pandemic restrictions or safety measures aimed at passengers in transit. If anyone knows where I should look for this information for London Heathrow or for Frankfurt,, I would greatly appreciate it.

information for London Heathrow or for Frankfurt
The current public health related measures concerning incoming travel are rather strict in Germany.

I checked both the website of Frankfurt airport and the Reopen EU website. Both say the same: When travelling from Spain to Frankfurt and then to Canada, you need to be tested and show proof of a negative Covid-19 test before departure.

The reason: At Frankfurt and coming from Spain, you enter Germany, and you are subject to the rules for all travellers entering Germany. If you were on a flight say Moscow-Frankfurt-Canada, you would not need a pre-flight test as you would remain in the international transit zone.

This is now, early June, and not July and not September. Rules are likely to change on July 1.

I shall leave replies concerning the UK and transfer at Heathrow to other forum members.

Source:
https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en/faqs/overview-faqs/faq-coronavirus.html - look for "Transfer"
Reopen EU - https://reopen.europa.eu/en/from-to/ESP/CHE/DEU - look for "Transit by air"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back