• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

News (2016) regarding Santa María de Eunate

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ Williams

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Turonense (1995)
Camino Francés (1996; 1999; 2001; 2005; 2008; 2011)
Camino Aragonés (2000)
Good morning everyone!

Gosh, I haven't posted anything in a very long time, and I have been largely invisible on the forums... lots of changes, challenges and transitions going on in my life! ;) I'm here today to share with you all one of the biggest and happiest of changes that has recently taken place.

As of this month, I am officially the person responsible for the day-to-day activities at the church of Santa María de Eunate. I actually started on 16 July, but I confirmed my availaibility to carry on with the parish council of Muruzábal yesterday evening, so only now do I feel like it's "official".

This is a tremendously exciting and satisfying opportunity for me, and one that I am very grateful to God for. I will be responsible for opening and closing the church each day, receiving pilgrims and visitors alike, giving guided visits to the church to folks who request them, and coordinating the schedule of events taking place there, such as weekly masses, retreats, weddings etc.

So, first off, just an update on current opening hours at the church: for the remainder of the month of August, the church is open from 10.30 a.m. to 1.00 p.m., and again from 5.30 p.m. to 8.00 p.m. every day of the week. At present, Mass is offered at the church on Sunday evening at 7.00 p.m. This has been the schedule since 1 July. The final schedule for September has not been determined yet, but I will post that as soon as it is finalised.

Please be aware that there is NO ALBERGUE in the Casa de Onat beside the church, nor are there plans to re-establish one there. I would really appreciate it if you would help me to spread the word about this, especially if you are in touch with the publishers of one of the many Camino guidebooks out there. Many of them have outdated information (out of date by 5/6 years at this point!), and every week I have pilgrims who have detoured to Eunate, specifically hoping to stay there, to whom I have to break the disappointing news.

If you have any questions, let me know. If you are planning on visiting, I'm at the church every day except Wednesday (that's my day off, but my colleagues from the Confraternity of the Blessed Virgin of Eunate will be at the church covering for me) so please feel free to identify yourself as a forum member and say hi. I've also just created a Facebook page for the church ( search for Iglesia de Santa María de Eunate / Church of St. Mary of Eunate), so if you're on Facebook and want to "like" the page, that's a good way to keep up with the goings on at the church too! Cheers all!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It was such a disappointment to find the church closed when we were there in May. Glad to hear that issues have been resolved, Its nice to know that when we pass by next spring we will have an opportunity to visit this beautiful church.

Thank you

Regardless of whether the church is open for inside visits, it is worth a visit. The former albergue gives a warm welcome and a sello, but little else. It is hard to imagine that Casa de Eunate is a cost savings over an albergue with volunteer hospitaleros, but the decision was made for whatever reason. Have a great time there! I hope you continue to get many visitors. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Regardless of whether the church is open for inside visits, it is worth a visit. The former albergue gives a warm welcome and a sello, but little else. It is hard to imagine that Casa de Eunate is a cost savings over an albergue with volunteer hospitaleros, but the decision was made for whatever reason. Have a great time there! I hope you continue to get many visitors. :)
Yes indeed it was. We spent a very relaxing afternoon there. There were two factors in keeping it open and it appears to have been resolved.

Great news regardless.

This is such good news. Last year, LT and I walked in on the Aragones, and found a bunch of other disappointed pilgrims who had detoured from the Frances. It's a lovely structure to view from the outside, and is located in such a nice field, but the opportunity to get inside is a real treat. Thanks so much for letting us know, and I hope you have a long and happy stint there, Navarricano. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the kind words , Falcon.

There were several reasons for the decision to close the albergue, and for the parish's decision not to reopen an albergue in situ, but it wouldn't be appropriate for me to discuss them here. I will say, for now, that there are plans afoot for the casa, and though we will not be offering pilgrims a place to sleep, it is my hope that as I get settled in and things begin to get on track that I will have more good news to share with everyone.

Just posted a translated summary of your info on the German pilgrim forum ;-)
Thanks, SY
Vielen Dank! Yep, that's the extent of my German... ;)

It was such a disappointment to find the church closed when we were there in May. Glad to hear that issues have been resolved, Its nice to know that when we pass by next spring we will have an opportunity to visit this beautiful church.

Thank you
And I look forward to meeting you when you pass through again! God bless!

Such good news! I had really wanted to see this church last fall, even if only to walk around the outside. But it just didn't work out. Hopefully some day.

It sounds so beautiful. If I recall correctly, the author James Michener chose to start his Camino-- back in the mid-60's -- from Santa Maria de Eunate, because of its architectural beauty and its historical significance as a meeting point of two Camino routes. So every time I pick up that book to re-read about the Camino, my armchair journey begins at Santa Maria de Eunate.

All the very, very best to you! May your days be filled with blessings! I'm sure many pilgrims will be grateful for an open church and a guided tour.

One of my favourite places to visit on the Camino Frances! I was fortunate to be at Eunate when the then caretaker (in 2012) opened the church and to have some time inside it. It's a beautiful place and, as always, I was gobsmacked at what our ancestors could build without power tools or electricity...and the structures lasted. And lasted. And lasted even to our times. Eunate is a perfect example of that.

author James Michener chose to start his Camino-- back in the mid-60's -- from Santa Maria de Eunate
I think about half of what Michener wrote about Spain is accurate! He took facts and spun them into opinion. Reread it today, and some of the glaring errors have been emphasized by history. It still is an interesting perspective, just not gospel. ;) Ditto Coelho...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for the update. In 2015, I literally reached Eunate 5 minutes too late. The caretaker was just leaving and firmly announced she would be back after 4pm. That was too long for us to wait so we contented ourselves by resting quietly outside. We had come from Alto de Perdon, and perhaps a sign clearly indicating the hours open where the route diverts would prevent some pilgrims from being disappointed.

I think about half of what Michener wrote about Spain is accurate! He took facts and spun them into opinion. Reread it today, and some of the glaring errors have been emphasized by history. It still is an interesting perspective, just not gospel. ;) Ditto Coelho...

I totally agree with you on his opinions, hehehe! :eek: I re-read other parts of the book last year and had to think, "really? Well, whatever..... "

But it seemed his Camino history draws a lot from the Calixus. With a few anecdotes from his drinking pals regarding the various legends that he tells with charm.:p

Anyway, he introduced me to Santa Maria de Eunate, and for that I'm very happy!!

What wonderful news for you @Navarricano ! As Laurie mentioned, we were quite disappointed not to be able to visit coming in from the Aragonés.

As of September I will be in Navarra (around Estella) so I hope to visit you and finally see the insides. Also curious to hear about future plans.

Ultreia y mucha suerte!

LT

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Navarricano
Thank you so much for this information. I visited Eunate from the Frances last fall, and actually had 10 minutes in the church before a woman with a vacuum cleaner came in and turned it on. It is a beautiful and peaceful place and I shall return in October as I am completing my walk on the Aragones and moving on towards the Frances. I'll try to keep my eye on the forum for your updates on opening hours.
Thanks again.

This is a very special part of the Camino: so glad it will become more accessible again. When I visited, in 2008, there was a poem on the door reminding people not just as a tourist with the eyes, but as a pilgrim with the heart, that within those walls were centuries of prayers and silences. I hope it is still there, somehow. I have a picture of it and it's one of my favourite Camino souvenirs/memories.

I heard fellow pilgrims at the albergue in th evening, they were Spanish, that the area is also the site of an important civil was cemetary and/or battle. But I never found information about this. Does anyone have info on the matter?

How exciting! I begin my first Camino on August 18 and have been planning to take the detour to Santa Maria de Eunate just to see the outside. Knowing I may be able to be inside as well is very exciting for me. Thanks for posting the schedule.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh! Thank you @Navarricano for doing this!! On my first Camino in 2013, I was 5 minutes late arriving at Santa Maria de Eunate, but the gate was still open, and then I found the door was also open. I had about 5 minutes of tearful joy and gratitude alone inside! Last Fall I returned to the closed church, but took a half hour outside just basking in it's presence. Hopefully, in the Spring, I'll be able to return to see the interior once more, and offer thanks to all who made this an open place again! My favorite place on the Camino. Gratitudes.

The turn is not well marked, so look for a left turn in the middle of the "village." There is a nice bar at the turn where you can cool your heels waiting for the church opening if you need to.

Another great spot to wile away the time when approaching Eunate via the Camino Aragones is the bar/resto El Camino on calle Mayor, in nearby Eneriz. Wonderful food and a simpatico welcome. Often filled with macho hunters late in the autumn.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I visited during there in June 2015 when the cherry trees in the orchard were full of ripe cherries. I kept some of the pits and planted them at San Anton. I often wonder if they will ever turn into trees in the area near the old steel gate.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Eunate was somewhere I had really wanted to visit for years. I felt deeply blessed spending time in this beautiful place when we walked there in Sept last year. It was precious, a well of deep silence that resonated within and pervaded my being.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Soon on my way on the Via Tolosana and then the Aragones. This is planned as my final delight... so WHERE indeed should one stay (before and afterwards). Any info gratefully received... I end at Puenta La Reina. Then bus to Donostia and again to Bilbao.

Good morning everyone!

Gosh, I haven't posted anything in a very long time, and I have been largely invisible on the forums... lots of changes, challenges and transitions going on in my life! ;) I'm here today to share with you all one of the biggest and happiest of changes that has recently taken place.

As of this month, I am officially the person responsible for the day-to-day activities at the church of Santa María de Eunate. I actually started on 16 July, but I confirmed my availaibility to carry on with the parish council of Muruzábal yesterday evening, so only now do I feel like it's "official".

This is a tremendously exciting and satisfying opportunity for me, and one that I am very grateful to God for. I will be responsible for opening and closing the church each day, receiving pilgrims and visitors alike, giving guided visits to the church to folks who request them, and coordinating the schedule of events taking place there, such as weekly masses, retreats, weddings etc.

So, first off, just an update on current opening hours at the church: for the remainder of the month of August, the church is open from 10.30 a.m. to 1.00 p.m., and again from 5.30 p.m. to 8.00 p.m. every day of the week. At present, Mass is offered at the church on Sunday evening at 7.00 p.m. This has been the schedule since 1 July. The final schedule for September has not been determined yet, but I will post that as soon as it is finalised.

Please be aware that there is NO ALBERGUE in the Casa de Onat beside the church, nor are there plans to re-establish one there. I would really appreciate it if you would help me to spread the word about this, especially if you are in touch with the publishers of one of the many Camino guidebooks out there. Many of them have outdated information (out of date by 5/6 years at this point!), and every week I have pilgrims who have detoured to Eunate, specifically hoping to stay there, to whom I have to break the disappointing news.

If you have any questions, let me know. If you are planning on visiting, I'm at the church every day except Wednesday (that's my day off, but my colleagues from the Confraternity of the Blessed Virgin of Eunate will be at the church covering for me) so please feel free to identify yourself as a forum member and say hi. I've also just created a Facebook page for the church ( search for Iglesia de Santa María de Eunate / Church of St. Mary of Eunate), so if you're on Facebook and want to "like" the page, that's a good way to keep up with the goings on at the church too! Cheers all!

This is great news. I have posted on the Toronto Camino Pilgrim site, I am sure it will be picked up many Canadian pilgrims. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh brilliant!! Coming to visit on Sept 14!! Just thrilled to know we might be able to catch Santa Maria de Eunate open :)

Good morning, all. Just making another update on things at Eunate. I decided to make this a new thread so more folks might see it, but perhaps it should be a reply to my previous thread from a week ago. I apologise in advance if that's the case, and by all means, if a forum moderator thinks I should move it there instead, just let me know.

First off, thanks everyone for your replies and encouragement as I take on this new role. There isn't internet coverage at the church at the moment, so I am disconnected when I'm down there, and I've found that when I get home there are so many other things to do that I have very little time for connecting to the internet. Not a bad thing, actually. I tend to miss too much life when I spend loads of time on the internet.

I really hope I do meet some of you who are planning to make the pilgrimage when you pass by Eunate. Some of you have said that you will be passing by in September; I will be away from Eunate for a number of days at different times in September and early October for personal reasons. During those times, the church will be opened and closed by volunteers from the Cofradía from the parish of San Estéban (to which Eunate belongs) in my absence. Please be patient with them as many of them are older folks from the parish who have a very great devotion to the Virgin of Eunate, but who haven't got the time, or in many cases, the energy to do more. The opening hours in September will be from 10.30-13.00 in the morning every day. The church will not open in the afternoon. I understand that this may be frustrating for some of you who will be passing by before 10.30 a.m., particularly those who have chosen to stay in albergues in Zariquiegui, Uterga, Muruzábal etc., or the ones closer to Puente on the Camino Aragonés, but I ask for your understanding at this time.

Please also keep in mind that plans at Eunate are still in development. The situation now is not what how it will always be. Because I started up in the middle of the summer holiday season, it's all I can do to keep the church open for pilgrims and visitors every day in the mornings and afternoons. I literally parachuted into the existing situation because the volunteers from the parish were overwhelmed and desperate for help. The summer schedule had already been set, and I am handling things alone at the moment. I have to be in the church all day, and keep the house locked up, because I can't be in two places at once and, yes, there have been issues in the past with vandalism and theft at Eunate. I repeat, the situation now is not the way it will always be, but I need time to pray and evaluate things, draw from this summer's experience and make proposals for the future, i.e., with a view to next year. I promise to keep you all posted.

I would greatly appreciate your prayers as I try to get things organized and move forward at the church. God bless, all, and ¡buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Navarricano,

I wish you all the best in your new endeavors at Eunate.

Walking there in the cool of autumn mornings has always been a gentle pleasure while sleeping in the now closed albergue was extraordinary.

Coming along the path and catching the first glimpse of this wonderful spot is always a thrill.
Built by unknown craftsmen and set within a natural bowl the ocher sandstone walls blend into the almost sculpted nearby fields planted with corn and fennel. Here one senses the peace of eternity .

One special evening in October 2011
four other pilgrims and I shared warm hospitality in the albergue which could only accommodate seven. Two gracious hospitaleros from Strasbourg served an outstanding supper. Afterwards we held a simple candlelit prayer service in the mystic church giving thanks for our Caminos, our lives and our loves. Later as we each fell asleep on floor mattresses in the attic dorm we pilgrims remarked on our great luck and pleasure in sharing such precious moments.

As you now assist in planning for Eunate's future please do stress how services held and evenings spent there are cherished memories for some past pilgrims.

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you, Mr. Marques. I wasn't certain as to the best way to keep folks updated.

Hello everyone,

In the spirit of keeping you all posted: prayers would be appreciated right now. I had to close the church down yesterday afternoon as a result of an advancing wildfire which began in the area around Tafalla and Pueyo, villages well off the Camino to the south, but was being pushed northward toward us by a very stong, northerly wind at a rate of 10 km in a three-hour period. I first became aware of the fire when I went up to the village of Muruzábal for lunch around 1:30 p.m. yesterday, and saw a column of smoke rising to the south. By 3:30 p.m. it looked like freaking Vesuvius, and was dimming the sun. I kid you not.

When word came down that the fire was out of control, and that the regional government had requested the help of the surrounding communities, local farmers and the military in containing it, I went back down to the church and posted a notice that the church would not be reopening in the afternoon. The air smelt of smoke and there was ash falling. A friend sent me a photo from Roncesvalles; the enormous cloud of smoke was clearly visible from there.

I spent the evening up above in Muruzábal keeping an eye on the situation. When I finally headed back to Pamplona for the night, I could see the flames on the peak of a nearby mountain. I stopped atop Mt. Perdón on the way, at the point where the Camino crosses, and the tops of some nearby mountains arond Añorbe, just the other side of the mountain behind Eunate, were in flames. The fire was still not under control when I went to bed last night.

I am about to head back out to Muruzábal to see what the situation is. Attaching a few photos here so you can see what I am talking about. The one that looks like a sunset is the column of smoke seen from outside the Colegiata (monastery) at Roncesvalles, and the last two looking back from the Sierra de Perdón towards Eunate. Please pray!

Attachments

• 20160825_171805[1].jpg
    20160825_171805[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 42
  • 20160825_161118[1].jpg
    20160825_161118[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20160825_210555[1].jpg
    20160825_210555[1].jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG-20160825-WA0011[1].jpg
    IMG-20160825-WA0011[1].jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160825_212225[1].jpg
    20160825_212225[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 20160825_213600[1].jpg
    20160825_213600[1].jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello everyone,

In the spirit of keeping you all posted: prayers would be apprciated right now. I had to close the church down yesterday afternoon as a result of an advancing wildfire which began in the area around Tafalla and Pueyo, villages well off the Camino to the south, but was being pushed northward toward us by a very stong, southerly wind, at a rate of 10 km in a three-hour period!. I first became aware of the fire when I went up to the village of Muruzábal for lunch around 1:30 p.m. yesterday, and saw a column of smoke rising to the south. By 3:30 p.m. it looked like freaking Vesuvius, and was dimming the sun. I kid you not.

When word came down that the fire was out of control, and that the regional government had requested the help of the surrounding communities, local farmers and the military in containing it, I went back down to the church and posted a notice that the church would not be reopening in the afternoon. The air smelt of smoke and their was ash falling. A friend sent me a photo from Roncesvalles; the enormous cloud of smoke was clearly visible from there.

I spent the evening up above in Muruzábal keeping an eye on the situation. When I finally headed back to Pamplona for the night, I could see the flames on the peak of a nearby mountain. I stopped atop Mt. Perdón on the way, at the point where the Camino crosses, and the tops of some nearby mountains arond Añorbe, just the other side of the mountain behind Eunate, were in flames. The fire was still not under control when I went to bed last night.

I am about to head back out to Muruzábal to see what the situation is. Attaching a few photos here so you can see what I am talking about. The one that looks like a sunset is the column of smoke seen from outside the Colegiata (monastery) at Roncesvalles, and the last two looking back from the Sierra de Perdón towards Eunate. Please pray!
Coming from an area (Southern California) that just experienced two major brush fires, I understand how nerve wracking it can be.

May the Lord grant you all strength and courage, especially the firefighters who are in harm's way! You will certainly be in my prayers.

Grace+Peace

-Jason

Another update everyone: the church of Eunate is safe, and the fire is under control.

When I got to the church this morning there was some ash on the floor inside the door but, though the fire had passed very close, it never entered the Izarbe Valley where the church is located. There was still a haze hanging over the valley, the air stank of smoke all morning long while I attended to the pilgrims and visitors, and planes filled with water continued to fly overhead, but the church is out of danger. And, more importantly, even though some 30 square kilometers of land was burnt, no one lost their homes and none of the emergency workers or residents of the valleys threatened by the fire were injured or killed. Thanks be to God! And thanks to all of you for your prayers.

Last edited:
Great news! Best wishes in this venture!

Agree great news and you (Navarricano) are to be commended for the proactive decision. Is it known if this was a natural occurring fire or some act of carelessness? As an aside I have seen the news (here in Oz) about the fires in Portugal - must a dry summer. (PS congrats on the photo - they really tell the story. One small benefit - not much chance of any more fire damage - this season!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Agree great news and you (Navarricano) are to be commended for the proactive decision. Is it known if this was a natural occurring fire or some act of carelessness? As an aside I have seen the news (here in Oz) about the fires in Portugal - must a dry summer. (PS congrats on the photo - they really tell the story. One small benefit - not much chance of any more fire damage - this season!)

Officials are saying that the likely cause appears to have been a cigarette thrown from a car window on the AP15 motorway, some 24 kilometres to the south of us. It's been extremely hot here of late, and we haven't had any rain for over 2 months. That, and the strong, hot wind from the south that was blowing on Thursday, contributed to the rapid spread of the wildfire, which, as I mentioned above, has destroyed some 30 square kilometers of grassland and wooded areas. But the most important thing is that no lives were lost or homes destroyed as a result.

Good morning all,

Pardon my delay in posting this information:

Santa María de Eunate is closed for visits from 1 November through 31 March.

The principal reason is the onset of winter, as the church is not heated. There is also a sharp decline in the number of pilgrims and visitors passing, and organizing volunteers from the parish is more complicated with the approach of the holiday season.

It is anticipated that we will open the church again in early spring, probably on 1 April, just prior to the start of Holy Week.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who stopped by to visit and to say hello. I kind of got thrown in at the deep end when I agreed to take on the responsibility of looking after the church, considering it was the height of the pilgrimage & summer holiday tourist season. It has been an interesting and largely wonderful experience, though at times a bit overwhelming. I was largely on my own there every day in July and August, often with some 150+ people a day passing through the cloister gate to visit between pilgrims, cars and coachloads of tourists; added to that was this summer's wildfire, which came dangerously close to sweeping into the valley where the church is located, though in the end we were spared any damage. As I said, a bit overwhelming at times, but still a wonderful experience. :)

To those who may have passed in September or early October while I was out attending to some groups on the Camino, I'm sorry I missed you.

I will be lurking around here on the forums a bit more now in the winter, and I promise to keep you all posted about news and plans for the future at Eunate. God bless, everyone.

Good morning all,

The principal reason is the onset of winter, as the church is not heated. There is also a sharp decline in the number of pilgrims and visitors passing, and organizing volunteers from the parish is more complicated with the approach of the holiday season.

It is anticipated that we will open the church again in early spring, probably on 1 April, just prior to the start of Holy Week.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who stopped by to visit and to say hello. I kind of got thrown in at the deep end when I agreed to take on the responsibility of looking after the church, considering it was the height of the pilgrimage & summer holiday tourist season. It has been an interesting and largely wonderful experience, though at times a bit overwhelming. I was largely on my own there every day in July and August, often with some 150+ people a day passing through the cloister gate to visit between pilgrims, cars and coachloads of tourists; added to that was this summer's wildfire, which came dangerously close to sweeping into the valley where the church is located, though in the end we were spared any damage. As I said, a bit overwhelming at times, but still a wonderful experience. :)

To those who may have passed in September or early October while I was out attending to some groups on the Camino, I'm sorry I missed you.

I will be lurking around here on the forums a bit more now in the winter, and I promise to keep you all posted about news and plans for the future at Eunate. God bless, everyone.

Thank you for the update and for the kind and amazing work ! :)

Although Im a bit sad to read this as I was planning to finally get to meet Eunates when I'll be passing by around the 23rd of november... :eek::confused:

Good morning all,

Such a precious place. Thank you for all your work to keep it open and all the others who have as well!!!!!

@Navarricano Thanks very much for your dedication to this task and for continuing to make this gem available. I count myself very lucky to have been able to visit in 2009 and stay in the albergue there which was an experience that stands out in my memory. I remember late at night, after a convivial shared meal, we were brought back into the church for a moment of prayer. The octagonal church is very interesting, and if I remember correctly the sides are rather irregular. An oasis of quiet and recollection.

I came through in September 2016 and enjoyed your sharing and knowledge. It was a privilege to have you there. Thank you
Nanc

Good morning, all. Just making another update on things at Eunate.
I really hope I do meet some of you who are planning to make the pilgrimage when you pass by Eunate. Some of you have said that you will be passing by in September; I will be away from Eunate for a number of days at different times in September and early October for personal reasons. During those times, the church will be opened and closed by volunteers from the Cofradía from the parish of San Estéban (to which Eunate belongs) in my absence. Please be patient with them as many of them are older folks from the parish who have a very great devotion to the Virgin of Eunate, but who haven't got the time, or in many cases, the energy to do more. The opening hours in September will be from 10.30-13.00 in the morning every day. The church will not open in the afternoon. I understand that this may be frustrating for some of you who will be passing by before 10.30 a.m., particularly those who have chosen to stay in albergues in Zariquiegui, Uterga, Muruzábal etc., or the ones closer to Puente on the Camino Aragonés, but I ask for your understanding at this time.
I would greatly appreciate your prayers as I try to get things organized and move forward at the church. God bless, all, and ¡buen camino!

Hola Navarricano - yes really great news - I missed the turn off back in 2015, but hope to get there in May 2017. Speaking of the future & yes I realise its more than 5 months but when do you think you will have the "office hours" for 2017 available. Cheers for now. Mike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When you reopen please advise of opening days and hours. As I have said, it was closed on Mondays. We were at least a dozen disappointed visitors....

At least I had been to San Juan de la Pena near Jaca where the same sculptor worked. That is a stunning ensemble in an extraordinary location.

Good morning everyone!

Just read this and so glad to know! In 2015 I walked on a detour to visit there and hoped to stay overnight (as you indicated, many misinformed guidebooks). It wasn't opened even when the time indicated it should be. It was a disappointment of the camino. But I will be walking the Aragones which ends at Eunate this September 2017 and this time I will be glad to visit the interior and thank you for your care of our Lady.

Consider staying in Muruzabal, and strolling to Eunate as an afternoon side trip after dropping your pack at the albergue. Opening times may make this less practical - I was there on a Monday afternoon this last May and it was closed. But even from the outside it's very special. I was sorry to miss meeting you @Navarricano !
(I stayed in El Jardin de Muruzabal, and it was a very nice place - so @Robo , if you and Pat want to dip your toes in the albergue scene, this would not be diving in the deep end. It's a beautifully done private albergue with a few double rooms; the people running it are really lovely.)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back