• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Next large pilgrimage? Is it better/safer to go on the years its most popular?

MadisonFaye

I was told by a friend that there are major pilgrimage years. Although I understand that people go every year I am under the impression that more people tend to go on these years in specific (ever four years maybe?). If this is true when is the next big pilgrimage year and would it be better to go then? Safer in numbers ability to meet more people? Or harder to get a bed and too crowded on the trail taking away from the experience?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Holy Years at Santiago de Compostela

Whenever St James's day (25th July) falls on a Sunday, the cathedral declares a Holy or Jubilee Year. Holy Years fall every 6, 5, 6, and 11 years: the most recent ones were 1982, 1993, 1999, 2004 and 2010. The next Holy Years will be 2021, 2027 and 2032.

The
Puerta Santa (Holy Door), which gives access to the Cathedral from the Plaza de la Quintana is opened on 31st December on the eve of each Holy Year, and walled up again a year later.

As in the past, pilgrims reaching Santiago during a Holy Year, and fulfilling the conditions for it, are granted a plenary indulgence; and they are still years when particularly large numbers of pilgrims arrive.

As you have said yourself it will be busier and the negatives probably outweigh the positives unless you are Catholic and it is significant to you. The Camino is a safe environment in any year compared to the cities most of us live in.

There were 1/4 million Compostelas in the last holy year. This year there will be "only" about 190,000. The next Holy Year may see 300,000 pilgrims. Plan accordingly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, Faye, you've got all your answers from the guys who know much more than me!
Remember even in non-Holy years the Camino Frances will have plenty of pilgrims - you'll see them all the time during the summer months. But it may sometimes be difficult to find an albergue with beds especially in the last 100 kms before Santiago.
I prefer the quieter caminos - but I always find a "camino family" to enjoy and some company to cherish. It's a personal choice. I don't think the busy caminos are any safer, but I don't have the statistics. I'd have guessed that a 'busy' camino gives the robbers more potential victims....
Whichever you choose - enjoy it for its beauty, maybe companionship, and for the countless happy memories which will stay with you for years to come..

In my opinion, 2021 will be totally insane.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back