• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Next Saturday or spring 2020

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (July 2016), Primitivo (July 2018), Portuguese (March 2019)
My wife and I have found ourselves with a couple of weeks free starting this coming Saturday, 30th November. We’ve wondered about flying down to Almeria and walking the Mozarabe to Granada before heading back to Almeria by train and then flying home to the UK. Alternatively, we could wait until the spring. Does anyone with experience of the VDLP in late autumn and/or early spring have any thoughts or advice?

cheers

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Heh. My heart says "go for it," but then I took a quick look at the weather forecast and saw a bit of rain on the way. Why don't you write to the association and ask for their advice? Here are the email addresses and numbers from the association website:

correos electrónicos :
caminomozarabedealmeria@gmail.com
almeriajacobea@gmail.com
mozarabeacci@gmail.com

en los telefonos y whasapp:
619860198/649806150

Remember that the first few sections of the Mozarabe from Almeria are quite hard going - river bed walking. Under rain clouds, you might not enjoy it so much.... whereas in spring with blossom on the almond and orange trees ... it's still hard work, but the scenery is a bit better.

Also note that heading into December, the stages near Granada will be getting quite chilly - you will pass the foothills of the Sierra Nevada.

I guess I'm leaning toward advising you to wait for spring. But, you know, if there's a cheap ticket to Almeria, you could head down for a few days to explore the city, visit Cabo de Gata, meet up with the association people and plan your spring Camino. I can't think of many things I'd rather do in early December.

My wife and I have found ourselves with a couple of weeks free starting this coming Saturday, 30th November. We’ve wondered about flying down to Almeria and walking the Mozarabe to Granada before heading back to Almeria by train and then flying home to the UK. Alternatively, we could wait until the spring. Does anyone with experience of the VDLP in late autumn and/or early spring have any thoughts or advice?

cheers

I walked both the Mozarabe and VdlP in the Spring. They are both nice walks. I have no experience walking this time of year. That said, the biggest difference, imo, is local association support for Pilgrims. The association, on the Mozarabe, from Almeria to Granada is unmatched of any Camino I have walked.

Ultreya,
Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I met associates from Almeria on the VdP this spring and they warmly recomended the section Almeria to Granada to me for a winter camino. So go for it!

😊 - many thanks for the replies. We’re so tempted to go on Saturday. Unfortunately our slight hesitation gave our grandchildren an opportunity to gently demand our attention so we’ll divert our attention to next year. As suggested, we got in touch with the local association who were excellent and immediately responsive. We’re now really looking forward to next spring.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.