• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nice hostel near airport in Porto

Jan Nieuwland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino portugues (2013)
Cami de St. Jaume (2014)
Camino aragones (2015)
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte (2017)
For everyone arriving or leaving via porto airport, I recommend a very nice hostel, 5 min walk to the airport and metro to Porto, and on the camino.

Airporto hostel, Rua da Estrada 244

It is a new hostel, opened in oktober 2012, run by two young girl, very warm and friendly.
All new, very neat, and not expensive.

Boa caminho to all.
Jan Nieuwland

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is that on the Camino coming into or going out of Porto ? I've heard the Camino going out of Porto is not that nice and that many get transport to the edge of town?

ffp13 said:
Is that on the Camino coming into or going out of Porto ? I've heard the Camino going out of Porto is not that nice and that many get transport to the edge of town?

Airporto hostel is in the north of Porto, 5 min. walking from the airport.
I stayed there in March 2013 because my plane arrived in the evening.
In the morning I immediately found the yellow arrows leading the camino to rates.
Without having to walk through the suburbs of porto.

Boa caminho,
Jan Nieuwland

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, I am thinking of doing the Portuguese route in May/June next year, I am turning 70 in July next year and will be walking on my own. I was thinking of doing the route from Lisbon but a lot of people seem to be starting from Porto, why? I will be a lone woman pilgrim and will not do more than 20km per day, are there albergues where I will be able to stop within this distance, is the route well marked from Lisbon?? All in all, do you think it will be better for me to start in Porto and then do a few other short routes to fill my three month pilgrimage?
Looking forward to your advice on this route.
Hilda

formysons said:
Hi, I am thinking of doing the Portuguese route in May/June next year, I am turning 70 in July next year and will be walking on my own. I was thinking of doing the route from Lisbon but a lot of people seem to be starting from Porto, why? I will be a lone woman pilgrim and will not do more than 20km per day, are there albergues where I will be able to stop within this distance, is the route well marked from Lisbon?? All in all, do you think it will be better for me to start in Porto and then do a few other short routes to fill my three month pilgrimage?
Looking forward to your advice on this route.
Hilda

Hi Hilda,

I walked all the way from Lisbon by myself and Im a 29 year old woman.
I took walking sticks in case of dogs with me which gave me more confidence, but I really think it is fine to walk all the way on your own. Lisbon-Porto is less crowded than Porto-Santiago. It really depends what you prefer. I enjoyed both parts in their own ways quite a bit.

The local women were surprised to see a woman by herself, but I never had any bad feeling or regret of doing this by myself.

Just make sure you are prepared well. Some words of Spanish or Portuguese would be helpful along the way.

Wish you all the best for your camino!

Mira

This hostel is run by Anna and Marta who are 2 cousins. They inherited their grandmother's house renovated it and turned it into a hostel. Beds are 12 or 14 euros per night depending on which room you stay in. This includes breakfast. There is internet access and cooking facilities. The place is spotlessly clean and the entrance is manned 24 hours a day. The 2 girls work 48 hour shifts taking it in turns. It is a great place to start your camino the way is marked from outside the hostel and is easy to follow. If you are walking from the airport follow the main road and you will see the Metro which runs overground at this point. follow the line and you will see a bank on the left corner and a Mercedes garage diagonally opposite turn right past the Mercedes and walk down about 150/200 metres the hostel is on the right. It has a bar next door but one. We sat outside at the bar and had a bottle of wine 2.50 euros!! We also stayed there on our return journey as it is so convenient for the airport. I would advise phoning and making a reservation

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For everyone arriving or leaving via porto airport, I recommend a very nice hostel, 5 min walk to the airport and metro to Porto, and on the camino.

It is a new hostel, opened in oktober 2012, run by two young girl, very warm and friendly.

Boa caminho to all.
Jan Nieuwland
I just booked there for my first two nights in Porto before I walk the Caminho. Thanks for the recommendation, Jan.

Cheers,
Laurie

Stayed there earlier this month; all the above comments are exactly true. Delightful hosts.
I gave them a packet of Sunflower seeds to grow next year, in the garden they are developing.
One tip Iwould suggest.
Give yourself at least a day to explore Porto; buy a 24 hour Metro pass from the Tourist Office at the Airport, if you have just landed. Then you can visit the city and if like me you want to walk the much under used and under estimated Portuguese costa Route, you can take the Metro to Mercardo Matosinhos and walk over the swing bridge to pick up the Arrows."ensuitepilgrim blog/Wordpress.com" . Foggy pictures of crossing over the bridge, but I had sunshine for the next 13 days to S de C!

I just booked there for my first two nights in Porto before I walk the Caminho. Thanks for the recommendation, Jan.

Cheers,
Laurie

Dear Laurie,
I think you made a perfect start of your trip.
You can easily make it to RATES in one day from the airporto.
For me,... forget PORTO, it is not the town as I remembered it from 30 y ago.
The caminho is much nicer. Start walking and take your time, wherever you like to spend it.
Boa caminho,
Jan Nieuwland

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dear Laurie,
I think you made a perfect start of your trip.
You can easily make it to RATES in one day from the airporto.
For me,... forget PORTO, it is not the town as I remembered it from 30 y ago.
The caminho is much nicer. Start walking and take your time, wherever you like to spend it.
Boa caminho,
Jan Nieuwland
Thank you, Jan. Mostly I just want to recover from jet lag. I arrive in Lisbon in the AM then will take the train to Porto. So the first night is just a catch up night. I can explore a bit the following day before I leave the following day.

I hope you had a wonderful Caminho!

Thank you again.

Cheers,
Laurie

Hiya FFp.
I'm from Geelong doing Portugal in june, when are u there again?

I am arriving in Spain late may 2014, where do you plan to start in Portugal? I walked from Porto 2013 I arrived in time for St James day ( train disaster ) :(
I will send you details of the best albergue I have stayed in over 5 completed caminos it is a private donativo in Portugal amazing hosts!

PM your email address and I will send you the details

Regards

Frank

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Stayed there earlier this month; all the above comments are exactly true. Delightful hosts.
I gave them a packet of Sunflower seeds to grow next year, in the garden they are developing.
One tip Iwould suggest.
Give yourself at least a day to explore Porto; buy a 24 hour Metro pass from the Tourist Office at the Airport, if you have just landed. Then you can visit the city and if like me you want to walk the much under used and under estimated Portuguese costa Route, you can take the Metro to Mercardo Matosinhos and walk over the swing bridge to pick up the Arrows."ensuitepilgrim blog/Wordpress.com" . Foggy pictures of crossing over the bridge, but I had sunshine for the next 13 days to S de C!

Hello,

:)

I have the sunflowers, waiting for March to come to seed them...

Thank you for your lovely comments. :)

All the best

Marta

Thank you, Jan. Mostly I just want to recover from jet lag. I arrive in Lisbon in the AM then will take the train to Porto. So the first night is just a catch up night. I can explore a bit the following day before I leave the following day.

I hope you had a wonderful Caminho!

Thank you again.

Cheers,
Laurie
Oils you please let me have the contact details as I'd like to make reservation for 22 May. Thank you

Cheers,
Laurie
Can you please post the contact details so that I can make reservation for 22 May 2018. Thank you

For everyone arriving or leaving the Camino Portuguese via porto airport, I recommend a very nice hostel, 5 min walk to the airport and metro to Porto, and on the camino.

Boa caminho to all.
Jan Nieuwland

Thanks for letting us know! Most hostels next to the airports are a bit... let's say... needed to improve.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oils you please let me have the contact details as I'd like to make reservation for 22 May. Thank you

Can you please post the contact details so that I can make reservation for 22 May 2018. Thank you
AB71A9C2-5BCE-456B-9BFE-C33F2EE9FF77.png

Boa caminho to all.
Jan Nieuwland
can someone please forward me the e-mail address of this Airporto Hostel ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why do people start from Porto? Speaking for myself....I only had two weeks and Porto to Santiago felt more complete than Lisbon to wherever (and I really wanted to see Porto - would go back in a heartbeat)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back