Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nice hotel in Santiago

pattimlin

First-time Pelegrino from Dublin
Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo, 7-20 September. 2014
Hi

I'm on the Primitivo, arrive SDC on Friday afternoon, and want a nice but reasonably priced hotel for that night to finish my trip.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Pat

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A Casa Do Peregrino .......about 200 meters from the cathedral and literally on the Camino path before you get to it.
981 57 39 31

Stayed two nights there. In the morning peregrinos would walk right under the window of my room on the way to the cathedral.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the advice friends! I stayed at Seminario Menor this year and walking the steps to the 3rd floor for 4 days, it was worse than walking the Camino.
A friend of mine who could not walk the Camino this year wants to go to Santiago for a weekend to see the Botafumeiro swing.
So we now have some good addresses.

I have used the St Martin Pinario when in SDC. They have special rates for pilgrims on the fourth floor and very decent meals.
They are about 50mts from the Cathedral.
I'll second that. I never stay anywhere else. Just up the steps to the left of the cathedral from the square.
Edit: When I stayed there in May, I shared a 4-person room with other members of my Camino family. It was 20 Euros each including breakfast.

Last edited:
I agree! During my more recent caminos I have found the albergue floor at the Hospedario San Martin Pinario to be a VERY good stop in Santiago!

Most pilgrim rooms are singles at 23 Euros. Ask about these when you email your query. for space to this address >> reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu. Do NOT use their on-line booking form which is only for more expensive and more elegant regular tourist accommodation.

I stayed in their simple pilgrim rooms in December 2011, 2012, and 2013 and found them comfortable and the location most convenient. They are open 24/7 so that you can arrive at anytime, the obliging desk staff are multi-lingual, WiFi is free, there are multiple public spaces for casual conversation and the restaurant (open to all) serves a very good 3 course lunch or dinner with wine for only 12 Euros. What more does a tired pilgrim need?

Margaret Meredith

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
... want a nice but reasonably priced hotel for that night to finish my trip.
Any recommendations?

Pat

Like some of the others, I typically stay in San Martin Pinario, in their "albergue" floor. It´s clean, very basic, private bath, sheets, and buffet breakfast, all for 24 € per individual room. I stay there because the years I´ve stayed in more of a splurge kind of place, it just doesn´t feel good to me. But there are plenty of people who are looking for more of a splurge, and if that´s you, then the San Martín albergue wouldn´t be your cup of tea. (They also have a floor or two of "regular" hotel rooms, in the 50-60€ range, I believe)

If you want more creature comforts, there is a bunch of 3 star hotels sprinkled throughout the old town that are really quite nice. For example the Airas Nunes, or the Costa Vella (or its sister property the Altair). Or if you want even more of a splurge, but less of a splurge than the parador, the Hotel Convento San Francisco is a very very nice place!

Hi

I'm on the Primitivo, arrive SDC on Friday afternoon, and want a nice but reasonably priced hotel for that night to finish my trip.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Pat
I stayed two nights at Hotel San Lorenzo when I completed my Camino in May, 2014. It is about 10 minute walk from the cathedral and right on the Camino to Finesterre. It cost about $50 US and is well worth the $. The meals are a little pricey though, so I dined elsewhere

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have used the St Martin Pinario when in SDC. They have special rates for pilgrims on the fourth floor and very decent meals.
They are about 50mts from the Cathedral.
yes - marvelous place - i made a reservation, but only one day prior - with the result that the pilgrim floor was all booked, and i had the choice of a very expensive monks-cell for 47euros. but with a rather yummy breakfast buffet included (downstairs) -
if you like to stay there - do send them an email (they responded very promptly to mine) - more details i had posted in the Portuguese Caminho hotels thread -

Hospedería San Martín Pinario · Seminario Mayor · Plaza de la Inmaculada nº 3 15704 Santiago de Compostela · Tlf:. (+34) 981 560 282 reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu -
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...on-caminho-portuguese-w-images-part-ii.27903/

Thanks for the advice friends! I stayed at Seminario Menor this year and walking the steps to the 3rd floor for 4 days, it was worse than walking the Camino.
A friend of mine who could not walk the Camino this year wants to go to Santiago for a weekend to see the Botafumeiro swing.
So we now have some good addresses.
Indeed - very much my experience as well ... by the time i got up there onto the 3rd floor (american 4th fl) with my backpack, and on to the most remote li'l room - i was huffing and puffing more than on the caminho :-/
gives you a very good workout, just in case you hadn't enough of it on the camino.
and it goes without saying: no elevators. period.
but still a very decent place. and just a 10 -15 min walk to the train-station ... when i finally was able to leave town again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, if you want to spoil yourself, you can stay at the parador on the plaza next to the Cathedral. Obviously a lot more cost than the other options, but way more comfort. Just a thought ...

Before my husband and I started our 2009 Frances Camino I booked three nights at the Parador in SDC with a 'Goldy Oldies' rate (we were over 55). It wasn't exactly cheap but it was very reasonable considering where/what it was. The room was wonderful and the whole building full of history but the very best thing was the breakfast - after pilgrim's meals since St Jean Pied de Port (and me losing about 10 kilos) the breakfast was to die for! When we hit tough times on our Camino we just thought of the Parador, it was our 'carrot'.
Well, if you want to spoil yourself, you can stay at the parador on the plaza next to the Cathedral. Obviously a lot more cost than the other options, but way more comfort. Just a thought ...

Hi

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Pat

http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/air...king_confemail;pbsource=conf_email_hotel_name

I loved this little hotel.

It was just down the road from the Pilgrims Office, the train reservation office, of course the Cathedral. It has a lovely buffet on the main floor.

Enjoy your time in Santiago

Buen Camino

Cheryl

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You've already had lots of recommendations. On the 3 occasions I've stayed in SdC, I've been oddly unadventurous in that I've always stayed on the exact same street the Pilgrims Office is on. In descending order of "luxury": Hotel Airas Nunes, Hotel Rua Villar and Hostal Suso. I definitely recommend them all and would stay again in any of them in a heartbeat, especially the Airas Nunes (if I am feeling flush) and the Suso (if I am not feeling so flush!).

Enjoy the end of your Primitivo. I can't wait to get started on mine - only a week to go!

I had a very happy stay in Hotel Hortas ** in rua Hortas, just 100 yards from the main cathedral square. 36 € for an en-suite single room. Loads of bars and cafes around for breakfasts. Plan to return there next year :)
With all the suggestions you've had now, you'll be totally confused!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had a very happy stay in Hotel Hortas ** in rua Hortas, just 100 yards from the main cathedral square. 36 € for an en-suite single room. Loads of bars and cafes around for breakfasts. Plan to return there next year :)
With all the suggestions you've had now, you'll be totally confused!!!
We loved Costa Vella, a little family-owned hotel that we found in John Brierley's book. We had intended to stay at the parador as a treat, but after staying at Costa Vella we just stayed on there for 5 nights. When we left it was hugs all round. Gorgeous!
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino - Amazon)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.