• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

nice places on the road from Leon to the Compostella

Adi Sheinmel

Time of past OR future Camino
planning do the camino in september-october 2015
Hi,
i will go from Leon to Santiago on October and I have enough time not to go through the "popular" route and go "off trail".
I would love to get recommendations if you have about nice places to go through and/or stay at for more than a drink at the local caffe - on trail or off trail from Leon to the Compostella.
thanks Adi

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Adi Sheinmel

What do you mean by "going off trail" and "not going through the popular route"? Do you mean creating your own Camino across Spain? Or do you mean to explore the villages/towns alongside the way? Your guide book should give you a good first impression about what there is to do/see in each town/village.

I would certainly suggest to spend at least one day in León with its superb cathedral with its amazing stained glass windows und also to visit the Basilica of San Isidoro with its frescos in the Pantheon.

After León there are two route choices, one via Villar de Mazarife and one via Villadangos del Paramo, the first one is more through fields/nature, the second one is mainly alongside a busy road. I prefer the first option ;-) After that I would just walk the way and see where it takes you to.

Buen Camino, SY

visit the Basilica of San Isidoro with its frescos in the Pantheon.
Yes! One of the best things I saw on my camino! They may have their (the?) Holy Grail on display too.

After León there are two route choices, one via Villar de Mazarife and one via Villadangos del Paramo, the first one is more through fields/nature, the second one is mainly alongside a busy road. I prefer the first option ;-)
I didn't ever go the second way but I was happy to see the fields of wildflowers mixed with the agricultural fields on the way to Villar de Mazarife. We liked our stay at the Casa de Jesus there too. Unique; the walls were filled with great graffiti.

Out of Villafranco del Bierzo we took the high route up and over Alto Pradela. It's Brierley's green (scenic) route. Take extra water.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Astorga merits some time to visit and enjoy.
The albergue Pequeño Potala in Ruitelan has a warm welcome and a good communal dinner. As we casually were three Mexicans and two Spaniards fans of "rancheras", we improvised an impromptu rendition of "Yo sigo siendo el rey" (although usually you sing it after midnight and many, many tequilas), much to the bewilderment of some very proper British walkers.:p

Walking from Leon it is only 7 km to La Virgen del Camino and its extraordinary contemporary church. The town is named for a famous 15th century figure of the Virgin holding the dead body of Christ. Today the figure is in a splendid church designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk, Francisco Coello a follower of the Brutalist style of Le Corbusier. Basically a glass box, giant stylized metal sculptures of the Apostles cover the west façade. Located on the Camino Frances at Av Astorga, 87, in the midst of chaotic suburb it is a superbly maintained architectural gem as well as a haven of peace. Be sure to visit it. The calm interior is splendidly lit with deep chrome yellow glass. See >>
http://virgendelcamino.dominicos.es/webvirgen/index.php

Opposite the church you can either continue on the Camino Frances or pick up the peaceful alternative camino route going out of town slightly southwest towards Villar de Mazarife. It is very pleasant to escape the N120 highway noise and suburban sprawl while crossing wide flat plains up to V de M where there are several pilgrim albergues. From there the alternative camino goes on to Hospital de Órbigo where it rejoins the main Camino Frances.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Adi,

I did the stretch from Leon to Santiago last year in September, and enjoyed if very much. In terms of places that I particularly enjoyed, my favourite days were the climbs up and over Cruz de Ferro and over O Cebreiro, but I think that might be due to my preference for climbing, and the fact that I am not so keen on descent.

In terms of the highlights for me, I would mention:

The rustic surroundings of El Ganso, and the nice little albergue there. The bridge crossing into Hospital de Orbigo on the second day. The trout soup there is particularly worth a look.

When you are walking out of Villafranca del Bierzo, I would recommend avoiding the road route, unless you are fairly exhausted, as the walk along the road is fairly miserable.

Astorga is another nice city to explore, with the restaurant on the right hand of the square worth a visit if you are looking for a nice Menu del Dia.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ditto for comments of @SYates and @mspath--worth the extra time to explore. I had fun at the Cowboy bar in Ganso :) Who mentioned Astorga? I could spend 3 days just there, but I was walking a Gaudi Camino. Did anyone list Ponferrada and it's Templar castle....walk a couple of extra km to see santo Tomas de Ollas.

Hi,
i will go from Leon to Santiago on October and I have enough time not to go through the "popular" route and go "off trail".
I would love to get recommendations if you have about nice places to go through and/or stay at for more than a drink at the local caffe - on trail or off trail from Leon to the Compostella.
thanks Adi

just before Sarria and a km 'off' the Camino is the hotel/Pazo Torre do Barrio. a step (or two) up from your typical pilgrim albergue. i also get a kick out of hotel san nicolás el real in villafranca del bierzo, old convent, now albergue/hotel with lots of character and a wonderful little bar. there are many more... lots of bodegas near villafranca too.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back