• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nice walks in Santiago

peregrina2000

Staff member
About 4 years ago, @JohnnieWalker introduced me to a really pretty little walk right in the city. You will never believe you are a stone's through from the hustle and bustle. A friend of mine just emailed me today saying he remembered how nice that walk was when we were there, and I thought I'd post something about it.

Go down the steps in front of the parador (yes, you are on the Camino to Finisterre), continue past the really nice Tertulia Cafe (our failed experiment for a gathering place), and follow the camino signs. When you cross the bridge you will be going over the Rio Sarela. The camino to Finisterre turns left, you turn right. It's a shaded walk alongside babbling water, very green, very pretty. You can make a circle of it and head back to where you started or pop out and continue back to the center (this will all be pretty obvious when you are walking). In any event, it is a very nice little walk.

Not as pretty, but very interesting, is the walk up to the Cidade de Cultura, a huge modern complex that provokes a lot of strong opinions. Sometimes there are expositions there (if there are, the tourist office usually gives out free tickets -- I saw a very interesting one on the cultures along the Amazon), but even if there aren't, it's a good little walk. Takes you down to the Rio Sar and the entrance into Santiago that you will make if you walk the Vdlp/Sanabres. Then up for a few kms to the top of a hill.

The most ambitious is JohnnieWalker's Route of Routes. It's described in great detail in the pamphlet, thanks John!
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/wp-content/uploads/Route-of-Routes-Final-Master-June2012.pdf.

So, if you are itching to walk as soon as you stop walking, try one of these three!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for sharing these great ideas Laurie.
I've found each time I've been to Santiago; by just letting myself wander /I've found some gems and it feels more like home every time I come back as it's more and more familiar.
I hadn't been past Cafe Tertulia though and the walk by the brook sounds idyllic.

I'm always in awe at the body of information,help and support you give to many of us using this forum (in this post in particular the great guide of Johnny Walker).

Just wanted to say thankyou so much to you, Ivar, Johnny Walker and the many contributors!

Buen camino
Annie

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.