Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Casa Ivar Nick & Wendy walk 4 Caminos to get to Santiago

Nick (@jungleboy ) and Wendy (@Wendy Werneth ) just walked Camino Nacente, Camino Torres, Caminho da Geira e dos Arrieiros and the walk from Santiago to Finisterre.

I only had 2 microphones, so we did it this way..

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Camino walkers love this gripping, intriguing, mystery with history novel.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Past OR future Camino
A few in the past; more in the future!
Hoping to walk from Tavira someday, even though at my age I should just stop adding caminos to my list!
Seriously, the Nascente is made for you - countryside walking mostly in the Alentejo with pretty landscapes (walking along the Guadiana, the view from Evoramonte, the spectacular Tejo crossing, mountains in the Beiras), historic places (15 castles!) and no other pilgrims! Looking forward to seeing what @gracethepilgrim thinks when she starts it in late August to have another perspective.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

cindyjo

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012
Camino del Norte /Primitivo (2014)
Chemin la Puy (2016)
Camino Portuguese (2017)
Thanks for sharing! More caminos to add to my list. I really appreciate hearing directly from people who have walked new and interesting caminos. And thanks to Ivar for facilitating the interview.

Suzanne H

Past OR future Camino
Frances/2017; LePuy/2018; Porto (Coastal) 2019
This was indeed 5*! I also enjoy and share your website frequently. Keep up the great info, and thank you Ivar! I love all of the collaboration being accomplished, to include with Wise. Wishing you all the very best!

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Past OR future Camino
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
Fantastic interview Nick, Wendy and Ivar - thank you all. You’ve painted a beautiful picture of these quieter caminos.

Nick and Wendy - do have another camino in the planning stages as yet, or is this something you’ll decide down the track? (Please excuse the obvious pun!). If you do, it would be terrific to hear which camino might be the next one.

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Sirage

Past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Santiago (2005), Porto to Santiago (2007), Vezelay for 200 kms (2009), From Seville, May (2015), Le Puy to Sangüesa (2016), Norte-Primitivo (Sep-Oct 2016)
A wonderful interview. I was curious about how much Portuguese I would need to speak - I assume quite a lot along the Nacente.

I walked from Porto in 2006 with almost no pilgrims seen along the way, few albergues and no Portuguese, but it was not remote like the Nacente.

I have now pencilled in the Geira e dos Arrieiros to finish my intended Vdlp to Salamanca then the Torres to Braga in March 2022.

Another cheers from Oz, where we are now trapped indefinitely with no Vaccine Passports this side of the horizon, so no ink for this plan.

300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Past OR future Camino
A few in the past; more in the future!
Thank you to everyone for your lovely comments! 🙂

Nick and Wendy - do have another camino in the planning stages as yet, or is this something you’ll decide down the track? (Please excuse the obvious pun!). If you do, it would be terrific to hear which camino might be the next one.
Nothing set in stone yet. We tend to chose out of the ones we're most interested in based on what time we have available and which month(s) seem most suitable. At the moment we are trying to sort out what the second half of this year looks like, and there probably won't be another camino except for possibly a sneaky little Inglés in September. There's still so much uncertainty surrounding the future in terms of travel (which has a big impact on Wendy's work/availability in particular) but at this stage it looks like we'll have a window next June, which seems perfect for the long-threatened Olvidado-Invierno combination! Or if Wendy's April/May tours are cancelled or postponed, then that opens up the possibility of a long southern camino (Mozárabe-VdlP).

A wonderful interview. I was curious about how much Portuguese I would need to speak - I assume quite a lot along the Nacente.
Thank you! Yes, you would need more Portuguese than the CP, for sure. It's a bit hard for us to say exactly how much but a lot of the people you deal with are older and in very rural areas, so it's natural that they wouldn't speak much/any English. Very, very few times on the Nascente (maybe three times) did someone switch to English with us or even indicate that they spoke English. I remember several occasions when people, detecting that we were foreigners, first asked us in Portuguese if we spoke Portuguese, which I took as a sign that they didn't speak English. Hopefully this doesn't turn potential pilgrims off because people are very friendly and eager to help so I think the language barrier can be overcome. Let's see how Grace goes on the Nascente later this summer!

This was indeed 5*! I also enjoy and share your website frequently.
Thank you so much! I will hopefully put up some new content on the site, as well as starting the second season of the podcast, this week and next.

Past OR future Camino
Seriously, the Nascente is made for you - countryside walking mostly in the Alentejo with pretty landscapes (walking along the Guadiana, the view from Evoramonte, the spectacular Tejo crossing, mountains in the Beiras), historic places (15 castles!) and no other pilgrims! Looking forward to seeing what @gracethepilgrim thinks when she starts it in late August to have another perspective.
No pressure 🤣🤣 But what a bar you two have set. Not sure if I’ll make it to SdC but I’ll give it a red hot go. Cheers Grace

Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads