• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Night Attire - Or Lack Thereof

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
What is accepted behaviour in refugios re night attire?

I certainly won't be packing pyjamas, nor would I want to sleep in my clothes, so there is a question of decency to consider - as well as not offending fellow pilgrims. :?

I assume underpants and/or dextrous donning and undonning of a towel will suffice :?:

Regards

Bob M

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I slept in undies and got out of my sleeping bag thus. Some females tried to get fully clothed whilst still in their sleeping bag-result?-lots of curious looks, rustling and took three times as long.

Actually...get into my sleeping bag wearing one of my two synthetic t-shirts, underpants at hand for whenever I got up. When sleeping on top of my sleeping bag, deginitely wear t-shirt + one of my three underpants. Best, xm 8)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Bob, I'm female and sleep in the clothes I'm walking in the next day. My clothes are going to be crumpled the next day as it is, so am happy to wear them at night.

Some people do take additional clothes for sleeping eg t-shirt and shorts, but I can't see the point in carrying the extra weight. Lots of pilgrims, both men and women, sleep in their underwear, and this is quite acceptable. You just don't look when others are dressing/undressing.

Info much appreciated

Thx for the helpful feedback. Commonsense and respect for others' privacy seem to be the way to go.

18 sleeps (plus an economy 27-hour nightmare in the sky) to go!

Regards

Bob M

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My dear friend Dawn of a New Day gave me a great tip regarding night attire for the ladies. Get a men's silk shirt from a thrift store or buy one new, they weigh nothing to pack and keep you covered when you're not dressed. She burned hers when she got to Finistere.

For some reason the thought of sleeping in my clothes then wearing them the next day doesn't appeal to me and we Canadians tend to be a little on the modest side :!:

Lora

Call me dirty, but I just wore what I'd be walking in the next day... Having showered previously, of course.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ah, may be a matter of preference, don't think it's "guarro," Spanish (in Spain), for "dirty :!: " But then... :lol: Best, xm 8)

I just make sure I take a shower EVERY SINGLE DAY upon arrival at the refugio. (Most Filipinos do it twice in a day, in the morning and at night.) The mornings are just too cold, and the feet might get soft.

What is worrisome is some pilgrims don't even bother to take a shower and/or wash their clothes at all. I've seen one guy wearing the same red courduroy shorts for walking every day. Ewww.

Mark

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.