• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Night walking on Meseta any suggestions for Gareth on Camino at moment

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Has anyone any knowledge of night walking on Meseta, Gareth from Dublin is on Camino at moment approaching Burgos. .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, 2 days after Burgos is Castrojeriz. He can take a long rest there before night-walking. Between there and Fromista there are just 2 villages. It is an easy and open stretch; no problem in the dark. After you have climbed up from Castrojeriz to Alto del Mostelares (a hill) it is straight forward walking into Meseta land :) . Here are a couple pictures taken at night on that hill:

DSCN0012.JPGDSCN0011.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That sounds a possibility it is a shame to miss that view though, its his choice. It sounds best chance full moon needed.

About 10 km before Carrion de los Condes is Albergue Amanacer at Villarmentero de Campos. They used to offer a guided night walking stage as I recall.

Even if they do not, it is an easy path from there to Carrion. Not much in the way of trip and fall hazards on that section, though such could be accomplished, I suppose.

There are few sources of light pollution along the track to detract from the clarity of the stars above.

B

The skies are pretty dark lately (great for watching meteors!) but by the time he gets into the high meseta it oughtta lighten up a bit.
Have him rest up in Carrion and walk through the night to Moratinos. He can rock up at Peaceable Kingdom at whichever odd hour and sleep til he wakes up. If we know what night he's coming we'll leave a door open for him.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another easy night-walk is from El Burgo Ranero to Reliegos: All flat,.no villages in between, and impossible to get lost. Also the walk from Carrion de los Condes to the next village (17 kms) would be very nice as well. And I agree, a full moon night would be ideal.

Edit: @MickMac : I wrote this before I saw @Rebekah Scott 's reply. Her offer is the best IMHO: Carrion to Moratinos. Fully supported by me. She lives on the Way, in Moratinos, so she knows.

Last edited:
Thanks for that great offer Rebekah, very special, I will tell Gareth.

I walked it one morning at about 4:00AM. At first there was not a cloud in the sky and no moon. The sky was so thick with stars from the Milky Way it was awe inspiring. Soon after clouds and wind quickly moved in and as I approached the top we were treated to an amazing light show as there was one bolt of lightning after another lighting up the sky. It was a very special moment in my life to say the least.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Has anyone any knowledge of night walking on Meseta, Gareth from Dublin is on Camino at moment approaching Burgos. .
Gareth Tommy here have problems with provider so couldn't answer you. In Santo Domingo calazado. T ook it easy for a few days. You are going well. Great idea for night walk good photo opportunity. Might do the same. Buen Camino

[15/08, 19:40] Gareth: Hi Mick, just getting settled here after a long day and some calls home. I’m in Ages at the moment. It was a hard day and I developed some shin splints. A lovely Spanish lady gave me some tiger balm that worked wonders.

It seems that Burgos is mostly locked down and all of the albergues are closed. The Spanish lady found an open place that I booked... hostel cathedral Burgos. So I should be fine.
[15/08, 19:41] Gareth: That sounds like a lovely offer from Rebekah. I will absolutely take that up. I need to look at the map and see when I will reach there. Thank you for posting on the forum.
IMG-20200815-WA0002.jpgIMG-20200815-WA0004.jpgIMG-20200815-WA0003.jpgIMG-20200815-WA0006.jpgIMG-20200815-WA0005.jpgIMG-20200815-WA0007.jpgIMG-20200815-WA0008.jpg

Tommy Barr from Strabane reply from Gareth :
Yes, I was on the same flight as Tommy and we ate together a few times. I haven’t seen him in a week or so. He’s a lovely guy. Much like you, he has done the Camino many times. I’m sure I’ll catch him again somewhere along the way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you pass through Frómista, and want to shower, wash clothes (free for you) or rest for a while in a hostel, you are invited to ours. It will be a real honor for me and a satisfaction to be able to help you in any way.

Gmag, What a kind offer, I have passed it on to Gareth once again many thanks. Let you know when he gets back to me follow his progress. On thread "Gareth from Dublin on Camino yesterday"

Hi Mick & Gareth, I did several very early starts on the Meseta, so I often walked for 2 hours in the dark. I would advise using a good quality head torch. The paths are quite wide and have a gravelly flat surface most of the time. There are some long straight sections and some winding rolling sections. There are great views of the distant horizon and low sky that are best felt in the daytime. Sunrises and sunsets are a sight to behold. Watch out for rock formations of arrows or other designs!
With a full moon it would be spectacular and you'll walk bathed in moonlight. On a dark and cloudless night, you'll have the Milky Way above to light your way. Stop, turn off your head torch, look up and be still for a few minutes; then you'll really understand the meaning of the word 'Compostela' (Field of Stars).
I'll never forget walking under the arches of the ruins of San Antón on the way from Hontanas to Castrojeríz in the pitch black of the night. I nearly got spooked by two early risers who suddenly emerged from the ruins ..... they had been staying at the San Antón albergue!
Tip: In Castrojeríz there is a wonderful place to stop for an hour at the Casa de Silencio. I'm not sure if it's open at night time, you can always try. It is right on the path through the town, no need to make a detour.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Gmag, What a kind offer, I have passed it on to Gareth once again many thanks. Let you know when he gets back to me follow his progress. On thread "Gareth from Dublin on Camino yesterday"
OK Mick Mac, thanks, I'll check that post too ...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If walking at night try to use red light if that is bright enough. Maybe you can put a red filter or cellophane over a white light.

Think of those submarine movies where the captain has the boat use the red lights before surfacing so his night vision works better.

Hi Mick & Gareth, I did several very early starts on the Meseta, so I often walked for 2 hours in the dark. I would advise using a good quality head torch. The paths are quite wide and have a gravelly flat surface most of the time. There are some long straight sections and some winding rolling sections. There are great views of the distant horizon and low sky that are best felt in the daytime. Sunrises and sunsets are a sight to behold. Watch out for rock formations of arrows or other designs!
With a full moon it would be spectacular and you'll walk bathed in moonlight. On a dark and cloudless night, you'll have the Milky Way above to light your way. Stop, turn off your head torch, look up and be still for a few minutes; then you'll really understand the meaning of the word 'Compostela' (Field of Stars).
I'll never forget walking under the arches of the ruins of San Antón on the way from Hontanas to Castrojeríz in the pitch black of the night. I nearly got spooked by two early risers who suddenly emerged from the ruins ..... they had been staying at the San Antón albergue!
Tip: In Castrojeríz there is a wonderful place to stop for an hour at the Casa de Silencio. I'm not sure if it's open at night time, you can always try. It is right on the path through the town, no need to make a detour.
Hi.
Just adding to the recommendation of the lovely quiet house Casa de Silencio in Castrojeriz.
And indeed, it is not always open, as I found. I think that the bicycle placed outside is the indicator that it is open.
It also has an intriguing back courtyard/garden with a bookshelf and small collection of some really good Camino books (that I hadn't seen or heard of).
Also there are interesting postcards of unusual photographs with pilgrim-based themes.
THe house is very intricately decorated. Worth a visit.

Suggestions about night walking on Meseta? Night walking? Are you serious? Don't do it, it's a sacrilege!
:)

BUT sitting somewhere in the middle of "nothing" in the middle of the night with a nice cold 6-pack of beer or a bottle of Rioja and just soaking up the "xwyz"..., well, that's something completely different. I'd say go for it ;)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
From Gareth leaving Ages this morning :

That’s really nice. People are so good. I’ll sit down with the map and plan it out tonight. It’s always nice to meet good people, and I’ll take all of the opportunities that I can. It’s part of the adventure! Thanks for the forum. You are like base camp support!

Maybe you can put a red filter or cellophane over a white light.

Most led headtorches have a red mode. The throw of light is not large and some colours are enhanced and some disappear so if you have a head torch with red mode try it out before hand so you know what to expect.
You don't want to find yellow markers disappear. :oops: Maps usually use colours that work under normal and red light depending on there use.
Creatures don't seem to mind or cannot see red light so you will see the whatever is about in the dark.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If walking at night try to use red light if that is bright enough. Maybe you can put a red filter or cellophane over a white light.

Think of those submarine movies where the captain has the boat use the red lights before surfacing so his night vision works better.

"Strange just had a vision of a submarine sailing along the Meseta"

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From Gareth Today :
Well Mick, I’m finally a real pilgrim; I got my first blister today 😂 This was not the best day to rock up to Burgos being a Sunday on lockdown, but it is a beautiful city.

I followed your guide and came in through the park rather than the industrial area and it was a pleasant walk. I should really say that I mostly followed your directions, as two very helpful locals kept me on course when I was about to step wrong! Lovely people and I am thankful for my few words of Spanish!

So I had a look at the map and the really nice comments that you sent on. Tomorrow I will do Burgos to Hontanas during the day, Tuesday Hontanas to Boadilla Del Camino also during the day. This way I won’t miss the nice view during the day. On Wednesday morning I’ll set out and stop in Frómista for a coffee to say hello to GMAG if I know which albergue to stop at. It’s always nice to say hello in person after such a kind offer!

I’ll finish up around 1pm on Wednesday in Carrión, sleep for a few hours and then take Rebekah’s suggestion to walk from 11pm to Moratinos. With getting lost time, that should put me at Peaceable Kingdom around 6am on Thursday morning. If Rebekah’s kind offer still stands, I’ll slip in quietly so as not to wake anyone.

Thanks also for all of the nice suggestions from so many people including MarkyD, Bunny and Rick and the offers of help!IMG-20200816-WA0008.jpgIMG-20200815-WA0002.jpgIMG-20200816-WA0009.jpgIMG-20200816-WA0011.jpgIMG-20200816-WA0010.jpgIMG-20200816-WA0012.jpgIMG-20200816-WA0013.jpgIMG-20200816-WA0015.jpgIMG-20200816-WA0014.jpg

From Gareth Today :
Well Mick, I’m finally a real pilgrim; I got my first blister today 😂 This was not the best day to rock up to Burgos being a Sunday on lockdown, but it is a beautiful city.

I followed your guide and came in through the park rather than the industrial area and it was a pleasant walk. I should really say that I mostly followed your directions, as two very helpful locals kept me on course when I was about to step wrong! Lovely people and I am thankful for my few words of Spanish!

So I had a look at the map and the really nice comments that you sent on. Tomorrow I will do Burgos to Hontanas during the day, Tuesday Hontanas to Boadilla Del Camino also during the day. This way I won’t miss the nice view during the day. On Wednesday morning I’ll set out and stop in Frómista for a coffee to say hello to GMAG if I know which albergue to stop at. It’s always nice to say hello in person after such a kind offer!

I’ll finish up around 1pm on Wednesday in Carrión, sleep for a few hours and then take Rebekah’s suggestion to walk from 11pm to Moratinos. With getting lost time, that should put me at Peaceable Kingdom around 6am on Thursday morning. If Rebekah’s kind offer still stands, I’ll slip in quietly so as not to wake anyone.

Thanks also for all of the nice suggestions from so many people including MarkyD, Bunny and Rick and the offers of help!View attachment 80961View attachment 80962View attachment 80963View attachment 80964View attachment 80965View attachment 80967View attachment 80968View attachment 80969View attachment 80970

"Message from Fromista GM To M&M Base Camp":

Perfect !!, I love true pilgrims !, and I will have a good dose of anti blister cream, in case it is necessary ...

What a beautiful post !!! Thank you, Mick, this is the Camino, life ... surprise ... spontaneity ... improvisation ... solve problems, go ahead and above all ... heart and friendship !, is our reason for being here, for that thank you.

It's the Luz de Frómista albergue, and my phone number ( Gareth can use it for whatever he needs or wants) is 635140169. (maybe 00 34 635140169)

Gabriel

Gabriel.
Just received from Gareth:

Yes going to Hontanas. The nice Spanish lady told me that everything is closed there except the municipal albergue. You can’t reserve it, so I’ll need to hit the road early. In fairness they have 45 beds and I think there is only about 30 people walking. It should be fine

Well, I hope Gareth has no problems, according to my data she has 42 beds, but currently they allow us about 50%, although I do not really know what it is like inside nor do I know the current capacity.

Everything will be fine.

Gareth on way to Boadilla from Hornillos 29 k walk.
Then there was 12........

Gareth....

12 of us left this morning. More cycling. Some people are also planning to go to the next village.(fromista) 29km is enough for me!

I love walking upon the meseta and was a bit suprised that anyone would wish to walk at night and miss the beauty of the place .
I stand corrected having looked at the pictures and realised the beauty may be magnified at night , yet another reason to plan another trip to Spain !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"Message from Fromista GM To M&M Base Camp":

Perfect !!, I love true pilgrims !, and I will have a good dose of anti blister cream, in case it is necessary ...

What a beautiful post !!! Thank you, Mick, this is the Camino, life ... surprise ... spontaneity ... improvisation ... solve problems, go ahead and above all ... heart and friendship !, is our reason for being here, for that thank you.

It's the Luz de Frómista albergue, and my phone number ( Gareth can use it for whatever he needs or wants) is 635140169. (maybe 00 34 635140169)

Gabriel

Gareth says "many thanks" he is passing Frómista tomorrow "God willing" 1597748322113.png
1597748322113.png

Early Thursday: an arrival (Gareth) and a departure (me) at Peaceable.. I am walking the Camino from Leon! Please put him in touch soon so he can find our place and put himself to bed.
Hi Mick, 29km today was a little painful, but this was mitigated by beautiful views. The day was overcast with a little refreshing rain. It was a nice day.

I took your suggestion and booked a hotel room. Heaven! The staff here were great, and the food was good too. I had a lovely dinner with a German and a Dutch guy. Really nice conversation and companionship.

I also text Gabriel, though I’m not sure if it got through. I’ll see him in Frómista tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be my fun day. I’ll walk to lunch time, sleep and then set out at night. It was a little overcast today, so hopefully it will be a little clearer. Either way, I look forward to the adventure.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Garreth has been here.
He is an incredible, fantastic person, his way of understanding life, the Camino, and listening, makes it a real pleasure to be with him, although I am left with a slight feeling of having talked too much and I need to have heard more about him .
Mick, thank you for giving me the opportunity to meet Garreth. He is also one of the great reasons for being here, on the Camino. And one of those people who leave a feeling of sadness when they leave.

Hi Mick, so another wonderful day. I left late at eight and walked the beautiful stretch along the canal to Frómista this morning. There I dropped into see Gabriel at Luz de Frómista albergue.

It is a beautiful albergue and I recommend it to anyone passing through. Ramona, a fellow walker stayed there last night and sung it’s praises at dinner tonight. Of course the albergue was nice, but spending a couple of hours with Gabriel was the real pleasure. Over a nice coffee he shared many stories of Pilgrims and he has absolutely collected some wisdom from all of this exposure. He said the Camino is the way of winners! It was a lovely and memorable time. What a gentleman!

I had a long walk to Carrion afterwards in the sun and I managed to get a bit burned. I had a lovely dinner with two pilgrims and then checked into the albergue run by nuns. They are so nice and were singing and playing guitar. It’s a peaceful place.

Im going to grab four hours sleep now before I set off to walk the next stage at night and see Rebekah and Paddy in the morning.

This has really been a wonderful dayIMG-20200819-WA0018.jpgIMG-20200819-WA0016.jpgIMG-20200819-WA0015.jpgIMG-20200819-WA0012.jpgIMG-20200819-WA0009.jpgIMG-20200819-WA0019.jpgIMG-20200819-WA0013.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mick, a great night and day so far. I set out from Carrion at 11pm last night, slipping out like a ninja to keep my disturbance to a minimum. The sky was glorious and I saw my first real shooting star! My intention was to walk without a light but with no moon it was far too dark for that. It got overcast after a few hours and it was a hard additional 30km after a full day of walking. I limped into Rebekah and Paddy’s place at 6am and collapsed into a deep slumber!

I vaguely remember Rebekah popping her head in before she left, though I was only semi awake! Rebekah, I’m sorry for my incoherence!

I woke up at 11am and got myself together. Paddy got back around 12.30pm and we had a very civilised G&T before a wonderful lunch at a local restaurant. Paddy is a really interesting guy, and I really enjoyed the chat. So much so that I am staying another night here with him! I’m sorry that I didn’t get to chat with Rebekah as she is off doing another stretch of the Camino, but I would be happy to put them up in Dublin some time. It would be a pleasure.

Because of the night walk, I haven’t many pictures. Certainly none that can do the sky justice!IMG-20200820-WA0001.jpgIMG-20200820-WA0000.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Mick, I spent a very nice evening with Paddy at Peaceable Kingdom last night. He filled me full of real tea, which I missed greatly and there was lots of good conversation while the rain poured down amid thunder and lightning.

A nice early start with the blister much improved made for pleasant walking. It’s overcast here with a nice breeze. Perfect walking conditions.

I met a fellow Pilgrim for breakfast that I hadn’t seen for a week. He was telling me that one evening there was no room at the inn and three pilgrims slept in a graveyard. I told him he fit in well 😂

I kept the day easy and stopped in a nice albergue in Bercianos Del Real Camino. Good food and nice surroundings. 2 more days to Leon...IMG-20200821-WA0008.jpgIMG-20200821-WA0010.jpgIMG-20200821-WA0009.jpgIMG-20200821-WA0012.jpgIMG-20200821-WA0011.jpgIMG-20200821-WA0013.jpgIMG-20200821-WA0015.jpgIMG-20200821-WA0014.jpgIMG-20200821-WA0016.jpgIMG-20200821-WA0018.jpg

Hi Mick,

I’m in Leon now. The shins are a bit sore and so I’m going to stay an extra night and enjoy this beautiful city. Sunday is not the best day to arrive, so I’ll extend the stay.

The cathedral is beautiful and the sun is shining while I sip on a beer in the square. What more could a man want?

I managed to lose my phone charger somewhere along the way so I was disconnected for a couple of days. That in itself is liberating.

I walked with a very nice Spanish girl today. So only 300km left. It goes by so quickly!IMG-20200823-WA0010.jpgIMG-20200823-WA0009.jpgIMG-20200823-WA0008.jpgIMG-20200823-WA0006.jpgIMG-20200823-WA0007.jpgIMG-20200823-WA0005.jpgIMG-20200823-WA0004.jpg

Hi Mick, a tough couple of days due to shin splints. I only walked 12km today and yesterday. I hoped to get some ibuprofen in the pharmacy, but the pharmacist would only give me vitamins! Im limping, so I’m taking it very easy.

It’s a short day tomorrow to Astorga and I’ll pass a few pharmacies along the way. One of them will give me what I need 😎 I’ve already taken a rest day in Leon, and I can’t afford to take too many more, so I’ll continue on taking it easy. The show must go on!IMG-20200826-WA0009.jpgIMG-20200826-WA0010.jpgIMG-20200826-WA0012.jpgIMG-20200826-WA0011.jpgIMG-20200826-WA0013.jpgIMG-20200826-WA0014.jpgIMG-20200826-WA0015.jpgIMG-20200826-WA0016.jpgIMG-20200826-WA0017.jpgIMG-20200826-WA0019.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Mick, so I took your suggestion and booked a hotel today. The one that you suggested was full and I got a nice place opposite the cathedral.

The ibuprofen worked wonders. I’m a new man. Just on time considering tomorrow’s climb!

Astorga is a beautiful town, a very nice place to spend a few hours. Pilgrims seem ever thinner on the ground. The odd one that I do meet seems to be Spanish and there are more cyclists than walkers by an order of magnitude. Onwards I go.IMG-20200827-WA0014.jpgIMG-20200827-WA0012.jpgIMG-20200827-WA0013.jpgIMG-20200827-WA0011.jpgIMG-20200827-WA0009.jpgIMG-20200827-WA0010.jpgIMG-20200827-WA0007.jpgIMG-20200827-WA0008.jpgIMG-20200827-WA0005.jpgIMG-20200827-WA0006.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.