• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

no blankets in public albergues?

zammy

somebody who is walking now has told me that some public albergues
Had stopped supplying blankets because of bed bugs.
She recommends carrying a light sleeping bags.
True?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
True?
True or not doesn't really matter, or a least the explanation is spurious at least. Bed bugs don,t live in blankets; they live in the crevices in the walls, the cracks in the bed frames and the gaps behind the flaking plaster.
But pilgrims staying in municipal and paroquial donativo Albergues don't leave much donativo and the cost of laundering the pilgrim stink out of those blankets is prohibitive for places that can barely pay to keep the lights on and the showers warm. So it's easier and cheaper to say "no mantas". Other than Casa Cuba in Burgos (where I borrowed a blanket from the lovely bar opposite) I have never encountered "no mantas" - but I have had to plead on occasion.

Carry a sleeping bag. 12oz isn't going to change your Camino much.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I followed the advice that you only need bring a sleeping bag liner. Mistake. I had to sleep in my clothes a few times till I bought a cheap light sleeping bag here. Some private albergues also do not have blankets. Of course plenty of dorms are too hot and stuffy for you to need much.

True?
This past spring about half of the albergues had blankets on the Frances route. I checked them for bed bugs, but they all looked good to me. I carry a lightweight sleeping bag and prefer it instead of using the blankets. If I get "cooties" I want them to be my own! ;)

If any one is near a Costco I noticed they restocked the 425g down quilts/blankets this week. At least mine did! $20 and 425g is cheap insurance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bed bugs do live in blankets! I'd have to be desperately cold to use one in a public albergue as they are probably washed once a year!

Sleeping bags are so ligtweight now. We are talking about the weight of 500 ml bottle of water for a decent down bag. Unless you sleep cold, then a sleep sheet is enough in the summer months.

... since bed bug is mentioned... to spot if they are a resident(specially mattresses, wooden surface) they like edges & corners, if you notice small spot like color fading black (if not too much) usually it creates a cross sign mark....though i haven't done the camino yet...but on my bucket list is to have a non-rustle plastic bag(to avoid nuisance), black color where i can kept all my belongings & tightly sealed during a stay in albergues...as past experienced with, there are things that we cant just throw and changed stuff(very valued one, cant be washed as well) we tried to sealed it on a very dark plastic bag, which thankful it works...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
True?
I have recently been a hospitalero in Estella's Parochial Albergue we did not have blankets. Last year we had blankets in Salamanca.

... since bed bug is mentioned... to spot if they are a resident(specially mattresses, wooden surface) they like edges & corners, if you notice small spot like color fading black (if not too much) usually it creates a cross sign mark....though i haven't done the camino yet...but on my bucket list is to have a non-rustle plastic bag(to avoid nuisance), black color where i can kept all my belongings & tightly sealed during a stay in albergues...as past experienced with, there are things that we cant just throw and changed stuff(very valued one, cant be washed as well) we tried to sealed it on a very dark plastic bag, which thankful it works...
Lookup "river bags or waterproof bags 15 ltr. lightweight bag is quiet , will compress easily , will last for many Caminos... You can thank me later... Ultreya... Willy/Utah/USA

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have recently been a hospitalero in Estella's Parochial Albergue we did not have blankets. Last year we had blankets in Salamanca.
Take a sleeping bag. No matter what is written in this forum, albergues change. I was a hospitalero at Estelle Parochial in 2015, and then we had blankets. Now (2017) it does not have blankets

Take a sleeping bag. No matter what is written in this forum, albergues change. I was a hospitalero at Estelle Parochial in 2015, and then we had blankets. Now (2017) it does not have blankets
Hospitaleros and Hospitaleras work hard and do not get paid in most "Donativo" albergues. Please leave a donation, it is with this money the church or city pays for lights, heat, sometimes food, and bedding that could include blankets and cleaning. These generous facilities survive by your generosity and the standards reflect the pilgrims that traveled before you. Leave a good mark on your Camino....... Ultreya....Willy/Utah/USA

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Back