Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

No Booking?

qwerta

Past OR future Camino
Hello!
I'm planning to do the Caminho next week starting from Valença and need some reassurance.

I've booked the first night in a hostel in Tui and, as I am planning to do a long first day up to Redondela, I booked an hostel there too so I wouldn't have to search for accommodation after arriving late in Redondela (though there's a small chance I might give up on the way and split that day into 2 - I would just lose that money).

Do you feel it is reasonable nowadays (next week!) to find accommodation *on the day* in Pontevedra, Calda de Reis, etc?

Some people say the Camino is "full" due to Jacobeo and less availability due to Covid, others say it's less people than usual.
I'm walking on my own - so I only need one bed free, but as a young woman alone there's always a small worry about safety in the back of my mind.

Thank you! Gracias! Obrigada :)

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Look at the towns you might stay in and see what availability there currently is.
Check booking.com for their availability. this will give you a sense of how full things are!

C clearly

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012. Hoping now for 2022.
Here is a thread that discusses whether to book for later in September. Here is another thread started by someone who is walking now but has made reservations.

If you are in Portugal now, perhaps you could make some local calls or contacts to get an idea of the immediate situation in the towns you'll pass through. Please let us know what you learn.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Past OR future Camino
A few in the past; more in the future!
I've found that making reservations the day before, as you walk, works pretty well.
That’s what we have done during our two Covid caminos, sometimes two days before if there aren’t many available options.

There seems to be a bit of anti-booking feeling going around the forums at the moment. Personally, while I don’t want to be locked in for days or weeks in advance, I tend to like knowing how far the next stage will be to mentally prepare for the day ahead. Plus on remote caminos like the Nascente, there aren’t many accommodation options and it’s reassuring to know that you have something arranged for that day. I don’t see this as panicking or not in true pilgrim spirit, but each to their own.

camino.ninja

Past OR future Camino
Frances 5 6,16,17,18,19,20
Primiti+Salvador 19
Portug. 17,18,20
Catalan 17
Norte 17
Plata 18
Hello!
I'm planning to do the Caminho next week starting from Valença and need some reassurance.

I've booked the first night in a hostel in Tui and, as I am planning to do a long first day up to Redondela, I booked an hostel there too so I wouldn't have to search for accommodation after arriving late in Redondela (though there's a small chance I might give up on the way and split that day into 2 - I would just lose that money).

Do you feel it is reasonable nowadays (next week!) to find accommodation *on the day* in Pontevedra, Calda de Reis, etc?

Some people say the Camino is "full" due to Jacobeo and less availability due to Covid, others say it's less people than usual.
I'm walking on my own - so I only need one bed free, but as a young woman alone there's always a small worry about safety in the back of my mind.

Thank you! Gracias! Obrigada :)

Expect Tui to Santiago to be busy in September! Safety should be fine on that part though.

Buen camino

Cleigh

Past OR future Camino
If it’s anything like the Frances is right now then book ahead. Most are booking 5 days out at least. Not sure what the Portuguese will be like but I assuming similar.

simoneva

Past OR future Camino
frances (2016)
norte/primitivo (2017)
aragon/frances/salvador/norte (2018)
frances (2019)
I suggest contact some albergues now and see if they have beds available tonight. If they do then unlikely you need to book next week.

qwerta

Past OR future Camino
Thank you all for your answers! I just booked a third night in Pontevedra (based on booking.com, there weren't much options already) with an option for a last-minute cancellation, which I feel is the best of both worlds and gives me peace of mind. The other couple of nights I'll look into later, as I'm walking/on the day.
I'll give feedback next week too! Buen Camino 😍

Last edited:
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

qwerta

Past OR future Camino
So, I arrived in Santiago last weekend, but I still don't have a definite answer!

I used by two previously booked reservations, and I think those were excellent ideas because I was arriving late. In the third night, whilst I was arriving at the hostel, the man at the desk complained that using Booking.com was worse for both of us - "but I still have 50min to cancel", I replied. And so I did, and itsaved 3 euros for me (plus a couple bucks for the hostel too). During my way, with 1-2 days ahead, I booked the other nights.

I never tried an albuergue municipal, which was an experience I would like to have, so that was a disadvantage of booking ahead. On the other way, it was nice to know I had a bed already arranged while walking in pourring rain!

To my (biased) knowledge, most pilgrims were booking ahead, even if in short notice. Sometimes others that didn't struggled...
So no definite answer!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings