• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No Booking?

qwerta

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello!
I'm planning to do the Caminho next week starting from Valença and need some reassurance.

I've booked the first night in a hostel in Tui and, as I am planning to do a long first day up to Redondela, I booked an hostel there too so I wouldn't have to search for accommodation after arriving late in Redondela (though there's a small chance I might give up on the way and split that day into 2 - I would just lose that money).

Do you feel it is reasonable nowadays (next week!) to find accommodation *on the day* in Pontevedra, Calda de Reis, etc?

Some people say the Camino is "full" due to Jacobeo and less availability due to Covid, others say it's less people than usual.
I'm walking on my own - so I only need one bed free, but as a young woman alone there's always a small worry about safety in the back of my mind.

Thank you! Gracias! Obrigada :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Look at the towns you might stay in and see what availability there currently is.
Check booking.com for their availability. this will give you a sense of how full things are!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here is a thread that discusses whether to book for later in September. Here is another thread started by someone who is walking now but has made reservations.

If you are in Portugal now, perhaps you could make some local calls or contacts to get an idea of the immediate situation in the towns you'll pass through. Please let us know what you learn.

I've found that making reservations the day before, as you walk, works pretty well.
That’s what we have done during our two Covid caminos, sometimes two days before if there aren’t many available options.

There seems to be a bit of anti-booking feeling going around the forums at the moment. Personally, while I don’t want to be locked in for days or weeks in advance, I tend to like knowing how far the next stage will be to mentally prepare for the day ahead. Plus on remote caminos like the Nascente, there aren’t many accommodation options and it’s reassuring to know that you have something arranged for that day. I don’t see this as panicking or not in true pilgrim spirit, but each to their own.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello!
I'm planning to do the Caminho next week starting from Valença and need some reassurance.

I've booked the first night in a hostel in Tui and, as I am planning to do a long first day up to Redondela, I booked an hostel there too so I wouldn't have to search for accommodation after arriving late in Redondela (though there's a small chance I might give up on the way and split that day into 2 - I would just lose that money).

Do you feel it is reasonable nowadays (next week!) to find accommodation *on the day* in Pontevedra, Calda de Reis, etc?

Some people say the Camino is "full" due to Jacobeo and less availability due to Covid, others say it's less people than usual.
I'm walking on my own - so I only need one bed free, but as a young woman alone there's always a small worry about safety in the back of my mind.

Thank you! Gracias! Obrigada :)

Expect Tui to Santiago to be busy in September! Safety should be fine on that part though.

Buen camino

If it’s anything like the Frances is right now then book ahead. Most are booking 5 days out at least. Not sure what the Portuguese will be like but I assuming similar.

I suggest contact some albergues now and see if they have beds available tonight. If they do then unlikely you need to book next week.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all for your answers! I just booked a third night in Pontevedra (based on booking.com, there weren't much options already) with an option for a last-minute cancellation, which I feel is the best of both worlds and gives me peace of mind. The other couple of nights I'll look into later, as I'm walking/on the day.
I'll give feedback next week too! Buen Camino 😍

Last edited:
So, I arrived in Santiago last weekend, but I still don't have a definite answer!

I used by two previously booked reservations, and I think those were excellent ideas because I was arriving late. In the third night, whilst I was arriving at the hostel, the man at the desk complained that using Booking.com was worse for both of us - "but I still have 50min to cancel", I replied. And so I did, and itsaved 3 euros for me (plus a couple bucks for the hostel too). During my way, with 1-2 days ahead, I booked the other nights.

I never tried an albuergue municipal, which was an experience I would like to have, so that was a disadvantage of booking ahead. On the other way, it was nice to know I had a bed already arranged while walking in pourring rain!

To my (biased) knowledge, most pilgrims were booking ahead, even if in short notice. Sometimes others that didn't struggled...
So no definite answer!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back