• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No Camino This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

davebugg

A Pilgrimage is time I spend praying with my feet
Time of past OR future Camino
I had been planning to do at least a portion of the Podiensis and continue to Santiago de Compostela on the Frances this fall. However, world developments and uncertain economics made me decide to do something different instead. I decided to take a seasonal position at the Grand Canyon as a tour bus driver within the National Park.

Potentially, I could be there from July 6 to the end of December as the Park is open year around for visitors. But I am committed to at least until the middle of October. The pay is good, they are providing a small, studio-type apartment with kitchenette and bathroom, and the cost for meals if I do not want to cook, is $5.00 or so.

It is a 38 hour work week, but with two days off each week so there will be time to hike and explore the Canyon and the area around. This job is on the popular South Rim area, but I will likely spend my off time along the North Rim, which has always been my favorite side of the Grand Canyon.

I am disappointed that I will not be on the Camino this Fall, but I trust that the grandeur of the Grand Canyon area will be a great distraction. Hopefully, there will be sufficient Wi-Fi to keep in touch while I am there :) And if any of you plan to head to the Grand Canyon for a visit during the time I am there, and feel like a quick 'hello', sent me a PM.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had been planning to do at least a portion of the Podiensis and continue to Santiago de Compostela on the Frances this fall. However, world developments and uncertain economics made me decide to do something different instead. I decided to take a seasonal position at the Grand Canyon as a tour bus driver within the National Park.

Potentially, I could be there from July 6 to the end of December as the Park is open year around for visitors. But I am committed to at least until the middle of October. The pay is good, they are providing a small, studio-type apartment with kitchenette and bathroom, and the cost for meals if I do not want to cook, is $5.00 or so.

It is a 38 hour work week, but with two days off each week so there will be time to hike and explore the Canyon and the area around. This job is on the popular South Rim area, but I will likely spend my off time along the North Rim, which has always been my favorite side of the Grand Canyon.

I am disappointed that I will not be on the Camino this Fall, but I trust that the grandeur of the Grand Canyon area will be a great distraction. Hopefully, there will be sufficient Wi-Fi to keep in touch while I am there :) And if any of you plan to head to the Grand Canyon for a visit during the time I am there, and feel like a quick 'hello', sent me a PM.
I'm not doing a Camino this year either...but I don't have anything anywhere near as exciting to replace it with!
Sounds like a wonderful opportunity ...enjoy. 🤗
👣 🌏

It will be. . . different. Working in a National Park is something that I had thought of doing for awhile; sort of a work-camp type of thing. It will give me an extended time to explore the area on my days off which is exciting to me.

It will also keep me mentally flexible as an introvert by being engaging for tourists while taking comfort that I am not engaging as an active participant within a social group. It will be good to be doing so again.

-----
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good to hear. . . I'm pretty excited about this. :)
Dave, I assume you are all set to head back this spring to work at the Grand Canyon again.
I recall you were possibly going to add in another National Park in Alaska.
I hope you have a great 2023 season working in those beautiful places!🙂

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dave, I assume you are all set to head back this spring to work at the Grand Canyon again.
I recall you were possibly going to add in another National Park in Alaska.
I hope you have a great 2023 season working in those beautiful places
You can send a private message to Dave if you want to continue this conversation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back