A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

No-fly return to South East England from Santiago

Camino Badges

melp2939

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte (2019)
Hi all,

This forum has been so invaluable when preparing for my first Camino this September - so thank you for being such a lovely and helpful bunch!

I've recently given up flying in the attempt to limit my carbon footprint. I'm planning on getting the train to St Jean to start the Camino Frances in September, but am not sure about the best way back in early October? I was hoping the ferry might be an option to Portsmouth but I'm not sure they are taking foot passengers.

Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated!

bill Burgess

Contact the ferry company. They should be able
Hi all,

This forum has been so invaluable when preparing for my first Camino this September - so thank you for being such a lovely and helpful bunch!

I've recently given up flying in the attempt to limit my carbon footprint. I'm planning on getting the train to St Jean to start the Camino Frances in September, but am not sure about the best way back in early October? I was hoping the ferry might be an option to Portsmouth but I'm not sure they are taking foot passengers.

Raggy

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Mozarabe Almeria (2017)
Cherhill to Canterbury - Pilgrims' Way (2018)
Via Francigena (2019)
Brittany Ferries operates Bilbao to Portsmouth and Santander to Portsmouth:
Foot passengers are required to check availability the old fashioned way 0330 159 7000

You could also do the journey by train:

jony jony

Camino(s) past & future
Frances ( 2007) Via de la Plata 2016/2017 . Sept 2018...Via de la Plata...May2019 via de la plata
Hello Melp2939.........rome2rio website came up with this option ......https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Santiago-de-Compostela/London

I don't know what your carbon footprint difference would be between a flight and the coach/ ferry option .

The rome2rio website gives many options

Paladina

Camino(s) past & future
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles et al (2018), Mozarabe and more (2019)
Beware: there is currently a problem on the Santander-Portsmouth route and many passengers, with or without vehicles, are being transferred to the Plymouth route.

André Walker

Never loosing my way: always standing on it
Camino(s) past & future
Holland-St.Jean, Frances, Del Norte, VdlP.
On their website you can just select 'On foot' to book as a foot passenger:

André Walker

Never loosing my way: always standing on it
Camino(s) past & future
Holland-St.Jean, Frances, Del Norte, VdlP.
You can select 'On foot' as a 'Vehicle type'.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Hi all,

On their website you can just select 'On foot' to book as a foot passenger:

In other years it has been possible to book as a foot passenger to Santander. You cannot go as a foot passenger to Bilbao.
This year however I think contacting Brittany Ferries direct would be advisable as the Pont Aven, which normally does the Portsmouth and Plymouth journey to Santander is currently only operating out of Plymouth. There is a link to the revised timetable on this updates page. Another (Brittany Ferries) ferry is still going Santander to Portsmouth but you would need to check if it takes foot passengers.
If using the ferry it is possible sometimes to add 3 nights to make a package holiday, reduces the fare and gives ABTA holiday protection. If they are still on the list then the Rosa Rosae in Santiago and the Carlos 111 in Santander are useful. The nights do not have to be in one place or consecutive.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 155 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%