• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No going back now! !!

Franco

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Ok booked my flight to biarritz for 25th April. My itinerary as follows: early bus from newport gwent 06.05 national express.flight from stanstead arrives at biarritz 17.05.taxi to biarritz railway stn.print out pre paid tickets. Catch train 17.45 to bayonne. Change train to sjpp 18.05. Arrive sjpp 19.14.hope this makes sense I'm filled with excitement and trepidation. I could use some comments in my itinerary. I have 40 mins to get off flight get taxi to biarritz stn and get on train to bayonne.is this a bit tight? Also need help with place to stay in sjpp.anyone arriving same time as me from stanstead I will be glad of company. Rgds..franco

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sounds good but tight! A plane delay, a late bus, a work stoppage/strike, wrong side of the tracks when the train pulls up anything might happen. Look around and prepare a backup lodging in Birriatz or Bayonne or both as a bolthole. Baden-Powell was so right, Be Prepared!
PS See GypsyWind below

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ok thanks. I thought I would pre book hostel for that evening then I could go to pilgrims office that evening also.then perhaps start walking on Tuesday 26th after breakfast towards orisson if weather permits.thanks in anticipation for any replies

Oh almost forgot anyone got any ideas about purchasing a spanish sim card in the uk or can u buy one in sjpp? Thanks☺

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh almost forgot anyone got any ideas about purchasing a spanish sim card in the uk or can u buy one in sjpp? Thanks☺

Neither, as far as I know Spanish SIM cards can only be bought in Spain, SY

Thanks sYates. I think it's possible to buy one on Internet otherwise I wonder if possible in sjpp?

In my experience Pamplona is your best bet, earliest chance. And what is actually the problem? Use your original one until Pamplona and buy there a Spanish one and then text the handful of people that really, really need to know this your new number. Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen Camino Franco!

Re. your phone question: it might be worth calling into your local Three shop - they have some very good options for using a UK contract or pay as you go sim in Europe.

Ok booked my flight to biarritz for 25th April. My itinerary as follows: early bus from newport gwent 06.05 national express.flight from stanstead arrives at biarritz 17.05.taxi to biarritz railway stn.print out pre paid tickets. Catch train 17.45 to bayonne. Change train to sjpp 18.05. Arrive sjpp 19.14.hope this makes sense I'm filled with excitement and trepidation. I could use some comments in my itinerary. I have 40 mins to get off flight get taxi to biarritz stn and get on train to bayonne.is this a bit tight? Also need help with place to stay in sjpp.anyone arriving same time as me from stanstead I will be glad of company. Rgds..franco
Hello Franco,from your post I can feel the excitement and hope you have a wonderful time. If the plane is on time, I think you might make the train. However I have another suggestion if that's ok? There is a taxi service from the airport to sjpdp and depending on the amount of people travelling, it may cost you even less than a taxi to train station, then a train to sjpdp. We paid 18euro each in June from airport to st Jean as there were about 8 in the taxi. It's called Express Burricot and run by Caroline (0033661960476) or www.expressburricot.com. This web will also show you the dates, time, and price of the taxi, and this can change from day to day depending on how many people book. They pick you up just outside the terminal and off you go. They drop you off about 5 mins from pilgrims office. Advantage is that you arrive sooner than if travelling by train. Good luck on that bus journey from Newport and hope you can get some sleep on the bus. I am sure there will be people travelling with you on the plane. You can spot the peregrinos a mile off!! A wonderful feeling wondering if they will be walking the same road as yourself! Excitement is in the air! Let us know how you get on with your journey. Best wishes Annette

In my experience Pamplona is your best bet, earliest chance. And what is actually the problem? Use your original one until Pamplona and buy there a Spanish one and then text the handful of people that really, really need to know this your new number. Buen Camino, SY
Yes I agree about the phone. I have a very very basic phone. Sending a text to uk costs 5p from Spain and receiving texts are free. its also free to receive a call from a uk phone. It 16p a minute to make a call to a uk phone. Sorry I can't help re I phones as can't use one!!! I have a little iPad for skyping and e mailing the family, so media costs for us not too high.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Spain probably has the most expensive telephone service in Europe. You can shop for a SIM in the UK over the internet. You'd be surprised at your options. Buen Camino :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for this link, @Robo! I will use this as well. When I had a look on their website I noted they have online top up for the service you choose. Was there a reason you decided to use the small stores rather than the online? Thanks again for the links!

I could never work out the online top up :oops:

Thanks for the link robo and thanks to all for your replies. I suppose if I'm using the wifi in the albergues and hostels it would limit the data usage anyway. Forgive my ignorance I'm just not tech savvy enough I guess!!!

Lebara sell SIM cards for Spain: you can pick one up at the airport when you arrive, or order one ahead of time that you activate upon arrival.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Biaritz airport halfway between Biarritz and Bayonne. Why not take bus, just outside airport door to Bayonne , loads of pilgrims will be on bus. Bus stops outside Bayonne station and train or bus to sjpdep. Stick to your own SIM card. Roaming in EU now reasonable. No charges to receive txts etc. Use Wi fi for roaming and available most places or use Skype etc Buen camino

Ok booked my flight to biarritz for 25th April. My itinerary as follows: early bus from newport gwent 06.05 national express.flight from stanstead arrives at biarritz 17.05.taxi to biarritz railway stn.print out pre paid tickets. Catch train 17.45 to bayonne. Change train to sjpp 18.05. Arrive sjpp 19.14.hope this makes sense I'm filled with excitement and trepidation. I could use some comments in my itinerary. I have 40 mins to get off flight get taxi to biarritz stn and get on train to bayonne.is this a bit tight? Also need help with place to stay in sjpp.anyone arriving same time as me from stanstead I will be glad of company. Rgds..franco[/Q

Hi Franco,

I'm starting my first Camino from SJPdP on 24/06/2016. I'm also flying into Biarritz Airport and booked taxi service from airport to SJPdP (www.expressbourricot.com) for 19 euros (cost depends on the number of people with transport). I wish you a Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I will get into Biarritz airport at 13.30 on 31st of March. I have the option with the train and bus, like you do but I would rather try to get in touch with Express Bourricot (http://www.expressbourricot.com/). The price is almost the same like for the bus and train, so why don't choose something easier?
Buen Camino!

wow man that's awesome I am somewhat reluctant to book so early. I don't leave til May 26.

I bought a prepaid SIM for my Camino this fall, but next time I'd get one in Pamplona.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back