• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No going back now!!!

Derek Booth

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances March 2019
Cam. Port. April 2024
Well, that's me committed then.

I've just been informed that there's a plane ticket with my name on it for September next year.

I was going to do one this year but COVID and the 90/180 days in Europe has put paid to that. (I've already used up those limits for this Winter)

At my advanced years (I think I had too good a time in 2019 on the Frances) the 'Management' has decided that I should be chaperoned. Unfortunately my choices have been discounted and I am to take our youngest son.

Our only problem is that he walks like he's late getting to the opening of the bar, whereas I'm a plodder.

I can see every day comprising of me being left in a cloud of dust as he leaves me in his wake. At least he should be good at sussing out the good alburgues. He will, after all, get to the destination first.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lucky you! Enjoy the journey and compare notes with your son at the end of each day! You'll have so many great memories of this Camino with him - even if you walk at a different pace. Your son will never forget his experience with you along the way, and who knows? maybe some day he'll be there again with family/friends telling them about your Camino together:)
Ultreïa!

I've said it before, I'll say it again.
The best advice I EVER got from this forum was "Start out like an old man so you can finish like a young man." Warn your son that, if he takes off like a bolt of lightning from the beginning, he runs the risk of not being able to make it to the end. You, on the other hand, will tortoise his rabbit quite nicely.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I've just been informed that there's a plane ticket with my name on it for September next year.

I was going to do one this year but COVID and the 90/180 days in Europe has put paid to that. (I've already used up those limits for this Winter)

At my advanced years (I think I had too good a time in 2019 on the Frances) the 'Management' has decided that I should be chaperoned. Unfortunately my choices have been discounted and I am to take our youngest son.

Our only problem is that he walks like he's late getting to the opening of the bar, whereas I'm a plodder.

I can see every day comprising of me being left in a cloud of dust as he leaves me in his wake. At least he should be good at sussing out the good alburgues. He will, after all, get to the destination first.
Let him carry both packs.

The best advice I EVER got from this forum was "Start out like an old man so you can finish like a young man." Warn your son that, if he takes off like a bolt of lightning from the beginning, he runs the risk of not being able to make it to the end. You, on the other hand, will tortoise his rabbit quite nicely.
Thanks for that Kathy, However,
During Covid Lockdown in the UK (and when eventually allowed) he turned himself around physically from being a 'Lardy' to regularly going out and walking just about every day, for the fun of it. (he works nights outdoors in England's Lake District, lucky man.)
He has no need whatsoever to get into training for our event and it has always been the case that he walks at a prodigious pace. I already know that it would be wrong for either of us to try to adjust to the other, (been there, tried that).

Thanks for that Kathy, However,
During Covid Lockdown in the UK (and when eventually allowed) he turned himself around physically from being a 'Lardy' to regularly going out and walking just about every day, for the fun of it. (he works nights outdoors in England's Lake District, lucky man.)
He has no need whatsoever to get into training for our event and it has always been the case that he walks at a prodigious pace. I already know that it would be wrong for either of us to try to adjust to the other, (been there, tried that).
Derek, a friend of similar age to me took her young adult son on the CF a few years ago. Each morning they would agree on their lunchtime rendezvous location, and she would catch up with him there practicing his Spanish on the staff. She claimed it was always a female staff member, but that might have been hyperbole. They would then agree on where they wanted to get to in the afternoon.

I walked a few years earlier with someone who walked just enough faster than me for it to be uncomfortable to keep up. We agreed on the town we were aiming for at the end of the day, and would meet at the first albergue with a vacancy. If there were no vacancies when I arrived, I would walk further until I found a spot.

There are plenty of ways you and your son can make this work for you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe I'm picking this up wrong, you seem to say on the one hand that you want to be walking solo, yet on the other hand seem to have concerns about how you could walk with your son with dissimilar pace... Do these both not align?

I walked with my daughter and found that despite it not being overly enjoyable at the time (relentless rain) it is one highlight that I treasure.between us.

Kathy,
I note your quote but could I ask you change the word 'like' for the word 'with'!!!

You never know, I might get to enjoy the Camino.

Derek, a friend of similar age to me took her young adult son on the CF a few years ago. Each morning they would agree on their lunchtime rendezvous location, and she would catch up with him there practicing his Spanish on the staff. She claimed it was always a female staff member, but that might have been hyperbole. They would then agree on where they wanted to get to in the afternoon.

I walked a few years earlier with someone who walked just enough faster than me for it to be uncomfortable to keep up. We agreed on the town we were aiming for at the end of the day, and would meet at the first albergue with a vacancy. If there were no vacancies when I arrived, I would walk further until I found a spot.

There are plenty of ways you and your son can make this work for you.

Only me could describe Son No. 2 as young. He is 42yrs old!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Maybe I'm picking this up wrong, you seem to say on the one hand that you want to be walking solo, yet on the other hand seem to have concerns about how you could walk with your son with dissimilar pace... Do these both not align?

I walked with my daughter and found that despite it not being overly enjoyable at the time (relentless rain) it is one highlight that I treasure.between us.
Simeon,

You ARE picking up the wrong end of the stick.
There are no issues whatsoever in having him accompany me and, at the same time I hope certain parts of my OP were instructive.
From experience I can say that two people with different walking speeds will either find it frustrating or exhausting in attempting a long distance walk.

My mantra from the CF when ever I attempted to 'keep up' with a speedier walker was, and worthy of repetition. " This is NOT a race"

Last edited:

LOL my daughter is always leaving me in the dust! We are planning to start the Frances next year. So I expect to catch up to hear at cafes and restaurants. The only consultation for me is that she told me her boyfriend is a much faster walker than she is, so she knows how I feel.

First of all you should be only thanking the Camino gods that you have the fantastic and maybe once in a lifetime opportunity to walk with one of your children. You are beyond blessed. I walked two caminos with two different friends. The first was with a 20 year old and I was 62. We walked in the morning for about 45 minutes together (after our breakfast. Then he left me in the dust. Sometimes I would see him sitting somewhere resting and we would have a break. For lunch he would let me know where he was via Whatsapp and then he would wait to eat (have a beer and some chips or a coffee) and we would eat together. Then assess where we would sleep that night. When we were walking in Le Puy it was really easy because there were less choices in 2015. Whether it was on the Le Puy Camino or later on the Frances he would just let me know where he was and I would meet him there. Sometimes at the entrance to the town we were staying he would wait for me at the first cafe. He would also let me know the name of that too.
Some days I didn't see him at all as one or both wanted time alone. Sometimes it was more than one day.
When I walked the CP I was the faster walker and my friend who is a year older, we were 64 and 65 at the time would basically do the same thing. We did walk together more as I was not that much faster.
Walk the pace that you are comfortable with. Walk your own Camino. You will both have lots of time together. The time you need together is way more important than trying to plan the time you want. Also if you both walk your own Caminos you will meet the people you are supposed to meet. They won't be walking by those pilgrims will be there for your son and you.
Just let it flow.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello,
I will be walking the Camino October 2022 with one of my sons. We will only be walking a portion of the Camino but I cannot wait for the time to spend with him. I have planned and cancelled this multiple times for various reasons, my husband has had three heart attacks might have had something to do with that. But, since I am not getting any younger, 72, it is past time. I currently walk about 8-9 miles per day and have so for some years so I’m ready. Enjoy and cherish that time with your son.
Buen Camino

I walked with my daughter in 2017. Me at 75 she at 53. She was always way ahead of me. Out of sight most days. But oh how good to turn up and see her sitting outside a bar with beer or wine waiting for me! I said how do you know I haven’t fallen over, got lost or whatever? She said she asks everyone that goes past… have you passed an old lady with red top and grey trousers along the way? 😁.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back