Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

COVID No Jousting This Year

Camino(s) past & future
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
Last edited:

Duke

Camino(s) past & future
French & Portuguese

Not a surprize.

BTW -- I've never met a peregrino who'd actually seen one of these annual carnivals.

Not a surprize.

BTW -- I've never met a peregrino who'd actually seen one of these annual carnivals.
My daughter saw it in 2008.

HeidiL

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2004-), Portugués, Madrid, 4/5 Plata, 1/8 Levante, 1/8 Lana, Augusta, hospitalera Grado.
There wasn't anything when we passed - but I have a wonderful picture somewhere of my husband and son jousting - from the first time we passed by in 2004...

Carol06

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (May 2012)
Frances (May 2015) all going well and with my husband this time.
My husband and I saw it in 2016. It was one of the most colorful and enjoyable events I have ever seen.

Cindy McGuire

Camino(s) past & future
Starting from St.jean Pied de Port April 24, 2016

Not a surprize.

We were in Hospital de Orbigo last year when they were setting up, but didn't stay long enough to see any jousting. In the bridge picture you can see where they were setting up ( to the left of the bridge as you walked into town). The other picture shows the town's decorations as they prepared.

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020

Not a surprize.

Back in May 2017 (or early June) we past through Hospital de Orbigo and they had all the "jousting" stages on the south side of the bridge all set up. I think we were about a week early - so (say) first weekend in June. I might even be able to find a photo of the stages (taken on 27 May 2017)349.JPG.

peregrina2000

Staff member

Not a surprize.

I was there (unintentionally) the year I walked the Madrid - Francés-Invierno. I saw some of those guys galloping towards each other with daggers pointed at each other, but my main memory is of all the people dressed in medieval garb consuming huge quantities of alcohol. We managed to find a meal in a restaurant but most of the patrons were looking a bit unsteady on their feet. Kind of reminded me of the Arde Lucus festival, which I (also unintentionally) walked into in Lugo. The dress was different (people were dressed either as barbarians or Romans) but the drinking part was the same. I am sure there are other, much more positive aspects of both of these festivals, but I am just not a fan of huge crowd gatherings. I bet covid will change the face of a lot of these gatherings.

Gerry O

Camino(s) past & future
hoping to some of the Camino in either August or October this year
My wife and I turned up one morning in 2019 at HdeO not aware of the event and were confronted with a town of people dressing up in mediaeval costumes. We were really chuffed that luck had landed us there on the day. However, we couldn't find accomodation and our Spanish couldn't cope with conversations. Feeling exasperated and wondering what's next, two people approached us, the lady speaking in an American accent. She was a local, having met a Spanish guy whilst walking the Camino and decided to stay in Spain. She had recognised our looks of desperation and offered to speak to some local hotels about accomodation for us. She got a place for us, walked us by their home, pointed the way and her husband got a little carved wooden shell for us from their home as a gift. The jousting, colour, huge pennants, costumes, blasts of long trumpets and the market stalls all brought an otherworld feeling. Its worth seeing and worth booking ahead too.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia (May 2016)
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Camino Portugues (June 2019)
Like peregrina2000, I never intentionally end up at one of these fiestas, as I hate crowded parties like this. However I accidentally landed in Hospital de Orbigo one year during this festival. I'd walked a long way and wasn't a great sport about it. However it was interesting to see camels in Spain.

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
That's one of my favorite towns on the Frances and while I never had the good luck to stay there during the festival, I have spent the night there twice. I rather enjoy things like that festival. Never been an old stick in the mud about having fun at those especially when I can consume without worry about finding a lift home.

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock