Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No money for Albergue in Monforte

peregrina2000

Staff member
Sad news I just read while looking for a factoid on the Invierno for a friend.

I think it was last year when the news went out that there were plans to open an albergue and pilgrim information center in Monforte de Lemos. Apparently the government owns or has access to what used to be the Hotel Comercio in Monforte.

Who can blame a Spanish city for not plunking money into a pilgrim expense when there are so many other more pressing issues? But I do think that it would have been a great little snowball to get the Invierno going.

I know the Xunta routinely spends millions of euros on all sorts of camino projects, so why not throw some to Monforte? (I admit I don't understand the Monforte political scene and that may be some of what is going on as well, since the headline talks about the "prepotencia" of the alcalde. That's a hard word to translate, but I think it falls somewhere in the range of arrogant, know it all).

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...eregrino-quedan-fondos/0003_201611M3C1992.htm

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As I understand from the article, the disagreement is about the purpose (final destination) of the building and related expenditure. Some want the cake, others the cherries.:confused:

As I understand from the article, the disagreement is about the purpose (final destination) of the building and related expenditure. Some want the cake, others the cherries.:confused:

Hi, fraluchi, can you help me out with a bit of this article? I do not understand the reprimand to Aida Menendez, president of one of the Invierno associations. What does "se le pone a caer de un burro" mean? Thanks!

Previamente había atacado con dureza a la presidenta de la asociación Camiños a Santiago pola Ribeira Sacra, que pudo intervenir finalmente en el pleno para pedir que se les cediese la gestión del centro del peregrino. «No se puede, señora Aida, pedirle algo a alguien al mismo tiempo que se le pone a caer de un burro», afirmó Torres en su réplica.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"se le pone a caer de un burro" mean? «No se puede pedirle algo a alguien al mismo tiempo que se le pone a caer de un burro»
Well, sort of :
"Whilst you make the person fall from the animal, it's difficult to ask for a favour"

Sad news I just read while looking for a factoid on the Invierno for a friend.

I think it was last year when the news went out that there were plans to open an albergue and pilgrim information center in Monforte de Lemos. Apparently the government owns or has access to what used to be the Hotel Comercio in Monforte.

Who can blame a Spanish city for not plunking money into a pilgrim expense when there are so many other more pressing issues? But I do think that it would have been a great little snowball to get the Invierno going.

I know the Xunta routinely spends millions of euros on all sorts of camino projects, so why not throw some to Monforte? (I admit I don't understand the Monforte political scene and that may be some of what is going on as well, since the headline talks about the "prepotencia" of the alcalde. That's a hard word to translate, but I think it falls somewhere in the range of arrogant, know it all).

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...eregrino-quedan-fondos/0003_201611M3C1992.htm
I can't really extract A.Menendez role (whether positive or negative, I'd guess it's later) from this article due to my poor Spanish but would it be worth to make some kind of an international petition (through Asun maybe?) to help the efforts?

Fraluchi gave the literal translation but wait there is more!

I got a PM from a Spanish member of the forum, who explained that the phrase means that you can't expect to be treated nicely after you have treated someone with a lack of respect and total rudeness (he used the word "ferociously" in Spanish, so this must be a phrase that refers to extremely rude behavior).

I have seen a lot of this behavior recently (thankfully not on the forum), so it's a good Spanish phrase to have.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.