• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No more kissing in Santiago de Compostela

gaulsdog

21/08/2009 - 16:02:35
Modern-day pilgrims finishing one of the oldest trails in existence have been warned against sealing their triumph the traditional way for fear of catching swine flu.

For centuries people reaching Spain’s Santiago de Compostela, one of Catholicism’s holiest shrines, have kissed the statue of St James whose remains are purported to be inside the town’s cathedral.

Now the church is urging the faithful not to kiss the shrine and has even removed the holy water that worshippers use to bless themselves.

The cathedral’s dean, Jose Maria Diaz, said the campaign has been discreet.

“We have not put up any signs or anything,” he said.

Instead an usher stationed next to the statue, located behind the main altar, quietly passes the message on.

“They are asked at least to refrain from kissing it,” Dean Diaz said.

He said the measure stems from a new Health Ministry campaign offering hygiene hints on how to curb the spread of swine flu, one of which is to halt Spaniards’ deeply ingrained custom of greeting each other with kisses, one on each cheek, even when meeting strangers. They are now supposed to shake hands.

Health Minister Trinidad Jimenez erred the very day after announcing the drive this month, receiving a colleague with two kisses prior to a meeting on swine flu.

At the cathedral, people are generally receptive to the idea of not kissing S. James but they still trade pecks during the Catholic Mass for the kiss of peace, the dean.

“As we say in Spanish, this is like trying to put a fence around the countryside,” he said, using an expression for a task deemed impossible. “What about all the kissing in the nightclubs and pubs?”

Santiago’s cathedral is not the first to rein in worshippers’ lips, just the most prominent, visited each year by hundreds of thousands of people. Earlier this month, the cathedral in the central city of Toledo urged people suspend their habit of kissing a statue of the Virgin Mary.

Swine flu has killed 12 people in Spain and is spreading so fast the Health Ministry has stopped trying to count the number of confirmed cases.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/swine- ... z0OqvfgEDG

gaulsdog

A selection of Camino Jewellery
JohnnieWalker said:
No holy water in the stoups in the Cathedral at the Pilgrims Mass today - but three people kissed me at the sign of peace. I feel fine :)

Are they still alive? :lol:

Andy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think we should be more concerned about all those closed windows in Refugios. I almost suffocated in Pontevedra because the woman in the upper bunk wouldn't let me open the window!

Anyway, I'd rather die on the Camino than anywhere else. In fact I plan to have my ashes scattered there!
It's time we all lightened up...Life kills. Sad but true.
Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com
P.S. There was a time when you could have received a massive concussion banging your head against Master Matteo's. These times are no more, alas.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back