• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD No more masks outside in Spain!

• Thread starter Former member 95219
  • Start date
OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good news from next week (likely to be 09 or 10 Feb) masks will no longer be required in outdoor public spaces in Spain where you can keep distance of 1.5m
Yes it is a good sign that we are on the right road. However please note that the President of the Junta de Andalucia laments the lack of consultation between central government and the autonomous regions and has requested that people continue to wear their masks in the interim.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you continue to discuss policy (mask good or not) instead of facts (administration/government says that masks must be worn or don’t have to be worn) the thread will be closed.

Before we get too excited, a double check on facts: The Spanish Government introduced the rule about having to wear masks outside for the whole country just before Christmas 2021 and has now abolished it again? Before Christmas and now it is a matter of the regional governments of Spain to set the rules on mask wearing outside?

Is that correct?

I can't comment on the current rules but as far as i understand, mask wearing outdoors was not mandated during Sept/Oct 2021. However, most people wore masks on the street, in built up areas.
I was not used to wearing a mask outdoors (unless it was a very crowded street or at a match)... So on my first day or two i didn't wear a mask automatically... But i immediately picked up on locals "double-takes" when they saw someone maskless. So i just got into the habit of putting one on in villages and towns.
From a public health perspective i found the high vaccination rate and mask wearing very reassuring.
Tl:dr - don't be surprised if outdoor masking is common even if not mandated.

Flashback to the news headlines just a little over a month ago:

Spanish president Pedro Sánchez has announced that face masks will once again be mandatory in outdoor spaces from December 24 as Covid-19 cases continue to grow​

The imminent change of rule is good to know but nothing unusual: in numerous European countries, more restrictive measures to stem the quickly rising tide of Omicron infections were introduced before the Christmas holiday period because people would travel more and people would get together more. And now these measures are becoming less restrictive again.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think the best advice, (after learning the local rules! most important!) is to take clues from those around you, and then, if the rules seem looser than you're accustomed to, mask up if that makes you more comfortable. As an older New Yorker, with the trauma of spring 2020 still imprinted, I (and most of my friends) tend to wear a mask more often than required. We're used to the discomfort; it's just part of our lives. But I do look forward to being in Spain and Portugal in April-May and hope to encounter less of a politicized atmosphere -- less mask-shaming -- than in the US.

Last edited:
If you continue to discuss policy (mask good or not) instead of facts (administration/government says that masks must be worn or don’t have to be worn) the thread will be closed.

Before we get too excited, a double check on facts: The Spanish Government introduced the rule about having to wear masks outside for the whole country just before Christmas 2021 and has now abolished it again? Before Christmas and now it is a matter of the regional governments of Spain to set the rules on mask wearing outside?

Is that correct?
Yes that is correct. Given how regionalised Spain is I guess different regions may implement differently as mask adherence varies hugely by region. For me, for the first time in 2 years, COVID is on back burner!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
reading the official site, coming from US, true I only need a vaccination card to enter Spain now?

To confirm this seems to have gone ahead nationwide from today unless anyone knows differently?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That said, 90% of people in Santiago today still wear them.
Thank you for clarifying this. It’s important to me to have a sense of the local practice when I can.

I saw a video of an outdoor market somewhere in the EU recently and noticed that everyone was wearing disposable surgical masks. Is that the norm now, as opposed to cloth masks?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for clarifying this. It’s important to me to have a sense of the local practice when I can.

I saw a video of an outdoor market somewhere in the EU recently and noticed that everyone was wearing disposable surgical masks. Is that the norm now, as opposed to cloth masks?
In Santiago, lately more are using the N95 mask... (I think since Omicron can transmit easier)... I would say 50-50 N95 and the blue disposable. Some cloth masks, but not that many.

I have probably been to 15 or so European countries in the last 4 months (of which at least 10 have been in EU) and rules and practices vary by country and within counties! This extends to types of masks. So in Spain I noticed that wearing of Masks outdoors when it was a requirement was higher in certain Spanish cities that others! No Just check what the requirement is by country!

I have probably been to 15 or so European countries in the last 4 months (of which at least 10 have been in EU) and rules and practices vary by country and within counties! This extends to types of masks. So in Spain I noticed that wearing of Masks outdoors when it was a requirement was higher in certain Spanish cities that others! No Just check what the requirement is by country!
I think you are right, even inside Spain this varies...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I find it difficult when things chop and change - mask on, mask off, mask on. Take it off outside and I’m liable to forget to put it on going into a shop. So I’m just going to mask up unless I’m out in the countryside. Taking a good supply of ultra lightweight N95s.

Anyway, with a long transit in Dubai, by the time I step off the plane I will have been wearing a mask for nearly 40 hours straight! It will probably have glued itself to my face by then. Worth it though.

I find it difficult when things chop and change - mask on, mask off, mask on. Take it off outside and I’m liable to forget to put it on going into a shop. So I’m just going to mask up unless I’m out in the countryside. Taking a good supply of ultra lightweight N95s.

Anyway, with a long transit in Dubai, by the time I step off the plane I will have been wearing a mask for nearly 40 hours straight! It will probably have glued itself to my face by then. Worth it though.
Yes whatever works for you! I m quickly into the ‘mask off outside, mask on inside’ routine’ but I may forget to take it take it off outside albeit only for a few moments!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bless Spain for their adherence.
I can only speak for my own country and, although not mandated, it is still requested and adhered to.

it's really interesting to read your comments about your experiences with wearing a mask. Because I live in a forest in Sweden, quite isolated and therefore I haven't really worn a mask yet. So i get some impressions of what to expect, when I travel to Spain. Seems like two different worlds.
Hopefully this nightmare will be over soon.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think you are right, even inside Spain this varies...
Can we , European Union residents enter into Spain with a digital QR code , proving three vaccinations ?

Last edited:
At the moment you still have to fill the Spanish online form and upload your vaccine cert, this will then give you a Spanish QR code which they will check at the airport or ferry terminal.
....by plane, but how is it on land if you cross the border? There is it not necessary to be even vaccinated as a European, or? Unvaccinated = no border crossing? Did I get false information?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
....by plane, but how is it on land if you cross the border? There is it not necessary to be even vaccinated as a European, or? Unvaccinated = no border crossing? Did I get false information?
I know that between Portugal and Spain you can just walk across… no need to show anything.. not sure about from France, but I would imagine it would be similar.

Whether you get checked at the border or not, whether you fly, drive or walk ... you are expected to comply with the rules. For EU people, Reopen EU is a good option to find out. Go to the Travel Plan tab and enter the two countries - from which EU country to which EU country.

Whether you get checked at the border or not, whether you fly, drive or walk ... you are expected to comply with the rules. For EU people, Reopen EU is a good option to find out. Go to the Travel Plan tab and enter the two countries - from which EU country to which EU country.
Travel Plan tab. Is this an app or a website ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back