• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No more music in the Praza do Obridoiro???

peregrina2000

Staff member
I'll bet that most of us have some fond memories of music being played in the archway as we entered the square in front of the cathedral, or being in the back of the square at night when the tuna comes out to sing.

Looks like our bagpipe friends, the opera singers, and the tuna, and whoever else has been singing around the area for the last 30 years, are going to have to relocate. This article, from El Mundo, says that the City of Santiago has imposed a ban because of complaints from the parador and from the church about noise, interference with other activities, etc.

I for one don't think this is a good development.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I for one have enjoyed several late evenings listening to the 2 opera singers in the archway, they always finish up by midnight and it has been a lovely way of unwinding after collecting the compostela and eating dinner.
:(

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A real shame. Sitting in the square, back against the Ayuntamiento, gazing at the Cathedral with the pilgrims arriving and leaving the square and the sound of the Gaita (Galician Pipes) providing the soundscape are wonderful memories from my stays in Santiago.

Hopefully, a proposal that doesn't come to fruition!

Well, this article says that the music has stopped. The mayor has issued a municipal order for the cops to stop the musicians, but there seems to be some hope that an agreement will be worked out.

So, if you're walking into Santiago in the next few days, let us know if you hear music and see musicians under the archway on the steps down into the square.

What a shame! I always love hearing all the music! The couple opera singers are fantastic! Hope an agreement is met. Possibly the time frames could be worked out. I will miss it

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There was a story on this on the local radio in Santiago, I listen with "half an ear" and as far as I remember, they have come to an agreement on this. They will just limit the music there, no music after 21.00 if I remember correctly.

This was all agreed upon after the 10th when the article was written.

Greetings from a fall-like Santiago,
Ivar

Last edited:
Yeah, would have hated to see the musicians go.
I'd rather they chased off those bizarre street performers dressed like Mahatma Gandhi, etc...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There was something magical about listening to the tunas and watching people of all ages dance to their songs. I always considered myself lucky to stumble across the many talented musicians, hopefully the curfew of 9pm will please the authorities.

Hola Ivar and thanks for the feedback. Given the current state of the Spanish economy buskers are just about the only people making a few Euros. I too, found it enjoyable to listen to the various tunes - some old, some new so it would be a shame if it went completely. Maybe the Parador should employ the better ones to provide music for their dinner guests and the cathedral could always do with a few extras to lead the hymn singing before mass.

Thanks for the update Ivar. A compromise is better than nothing I suppose. Still I will miss the late evening performances. When I arrived on the 9th September with 3 others who themselves arriving for the first time I was disappointed that they were not greeted by a piper.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I do hope the pipers continue. They are part of the culture of Galicia! Now I want to know where one can go to one of those wonderful concerts of people like Xose Manuel Budiño or Carlos Nunez. I would really like it if the tourist authorities organised Galician cultural evenings. I few years ago I was in Santiago for the music festival near St James Day - it was wonderful. This year I will be in Santiago earlier and really want some local music!

10 Minutes later - I just have done a web search - there is Galician night life in Santiago! I must get to see it this time around!

Last edited:
I too hope they are back, in 2012 Jane paid the piper (pardon the pun) to play any Irish tune he had so when she saw my brother and I walking down the hill she gave him the nod and he played O'Carollans Concerto. We were so excited to have reached Santiago and to see Jane that we didn't even hear it. :):)

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back