• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No more renfe discount tickets?

Alan Pearce

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Invierno October 2022
I have just bought a renfe trenhotel ticket for travel from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid. It used to be that if you bought the ticket immediately after they were released [62 days from date of travel] then you could get a discounted price, often at half the cost . This no longer applies for this trip, and I was wondering if all such renfe discounts have been abolished due to the financial crisis facing Spain. I am not complaining, just wondering.

The good thing about booking as early as I have, is that I have secured a bottom bunk!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No, Renfe haven't stopped offering cheap webfares from 62 days before departure, however they don't seem to come up on the Santiago-Madrid connection.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Current Renfe discounts:
AVE – Larga Distancia

This offer is targeted at persons making a return journey without more than 60 days between each leg and using the same point of departure and destination cities.

The discount is 20% for all AVE–Larga Distancia trains.

Once obtained round-trip tickets will not afford the partial cancellation of the trip of gone, being necessary to cancel both and to request new tickets.

The offer is compatible with Media Distancia trains, except Avant trains with Ave and Conventional Media Distancia with AVE trains, in which case the conditions of sale that each operator establishes will apply.
On AVE-Larga Distancia

If you are 60 years old, make the most of the advantages and convenience of travelling by train and apply for a Dorada Card. This card will entitle you to purchase tickets for any class and train. On Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays you will receive a 40% discount. On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays the discount will be 25% for tickets that have not been bought in advance and with a reserved seat.

The Dorada Card is valid for one year and can be requested at Renfe stations, ticket offices and travel agencies for 5,05 Euros. There is also the option of purchasing the Dorada Card linked to credit and debit cards issued by some banks.

Pensioners over 18 years old who have a permanent total or absolute physical or mental impairment or severe disability that has been officially declared, and people with a level of disability equal to or more than 65%, can also benefit from the Dorada Card. For such persons the words " AND TRAVELLING COMPANION" will be printed on the card, which will allow another person to travel with the same terms of discount.

On Media Distancia

Passengers who hold this card (over 60 years, pensioners over 18 years, in situations of physical or mental disability permanent total, absolute or serious disability, formally declared, and persons with disabilities less than 65%) will receive a 40% discount for all trains, days and routes.
On Avant

25% to 40%. Dorada Card holders.

25% from Monday to Friday.

40% Saturday and Sunday.

RENFE has extended the window from 60 to 120 days, so my guess is that all the cheap web fare tickets are sold out. (This just happened recently, and I don't think the main ticket brokers, e.g., petrabax.com and raileurope.com, have yet adjusted their websites).

RENFE has two cheap web fares available in very limited numbers: the "web" fare, which is the cheapest, and the "estrella" fare, which is the next cheapest. In my experience these fares frequently sell out within minutes of being posted.

If you are over 60, though, with a purchase of a tarjeta dorada for 5 euros a year, you can get 40% discount on every train ticket or Cercanias ticket you buy. To use that card, though, you have to make an in-person purchase.

So that's at least one good thing about being over 60! Buen camino, Laurie

Renfe is showing the price for a cama turista [second class sleeping berth] ticket from Compostela to Madrid on 11th-12th-13th Sept as a discounted 46.85 euro. I paid 78 euro for my ticket which is for the middle of October. The 46.85 is a 40% discount.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back