• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

COVID No non-essential travel through Castile and León until May

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Year of past OR future Camino
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
@JabbaPapa mentioned this in the lockdown thread today but I think this piece of news deserves its own discussion.

From this Reuters article:
Authorities in the northern region of Castile and Leon announced they would close down shopping centres and gyms, and extended a ban on non-essential travel across regional borders until May.

Hopefully @Charrito or others who are following this situation closely can jump in and give more details, but the bolded section above would appear to suggest that you are not allowed to walk a camino that goes through Castile and León in the next four months. Caminos affected would include the Francés, Madrid, Via de la Plata and San Salvador.

Here is a map from TripSavvy to remind people of where Castile and León fits within Spain:

spain-regions-map-56a3a4153df78cf7727e6530.jpg

Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
It's hard to tell if this is actually legal or not, as they seem to want to extend lockdown well beyond the end of the State of Alarm in March -- so that I'm sure if they try and go through with it, that it will be challenged in Court.

I suppose at a personal 2021 level, I could walk through Madrid, Castilla La Mancha, and Extremadura to Portugal>Fatima, then up to Santiago -- then if lockdown persists, the Norte, possibly cutting down to Pamplona or even Logroño towards France. But that would be very non-ideal.

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
Our proposed spring 'coast-to-coast' camino (Almeria-Finisterra) would not have us arriving in Castile and León until early-mid May, so if the restriction is lifted on 1 May, that camino could still be possible depending on whether there are restrictions in place in Andalucía and Extremadura in April. But that all seems so far away now, so we'll just have to wait and see how things look then before making a decision.

LTfit

Veteran Member
It's hard to tell if this is actually legal or not, as they seem to want to extend lockdown well beyond the end of the State of Alarm in March -- so that I'm sure if they try and go through with it, that it will be challenged in Court.

I suppose at a personal 2021 level, I could walk through Madrid, Castilla La Mancha, and Extremadura to Portugal>Fatima, then up to Santiago -- then if lockdown persists, the Norte, possibly cutting down to Pamplona or even Logroño towards France. But that would be very non-ideal.
The State of Alarm is actually until May, not March as you can read in this El Pais article from October:
https://english.elpais.com/spanish_...ate-of-alarm-as-coronavirus-crisis-grows.html

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Why are you even discussing this.? There is a pandemic that is worse than ever. People are dying. You can spread it and the new mutation is even more contagious. If a large region of a country is in lockdown for at least 4 months shouldn’t that tell you something???? Do you have a clue to what the next mutation may bring? Why are you parsing what the lockdown means and “will it be open to pilgrims”? Non essential travel is pretty clear. Even if it had a grey area walking a Camino is pretty black and white. We all love to plán so go ahead and plan and when scientists say it is safe enough for pilgrims to walk by the old men sitting on a bench by the village church then go and enjoy your Camino.

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Why are you even discussing this.? There is a pandemic that is worse than ever. People are dying. You can spread it and the new mutation is even more contagious. If a large region of a country is in lockdown for at least 4 months shouldn’t that tell you something???? Do you have a clue to what the next mutation may bring? Why are you parsing what the lockdown means and “will it be open to pilgrims”? Non essential travel is pretty clear. Even if it had a grey area walking a Camino is pretty black and white. We all love to plán so go ahead and plan and when scientists say it is safe enough for pilgrims to walk by the old men sitting on a bench by the village church then go and enjoy your Camino.

Why....because people keep posting and asking if they can walk in March, for example. It is shocking, I admit. But perhaps some do not follow events in Spain and their home countries too well? Factual information is important in helping others to concretize that they cannot come to Spain this Spring...

Bristle boy

If not now...when? If not you...who?...........
Perhaps a closing down of all threads that ask "can i/is it safe to walk in February/Easter" etc. Would help or am I living in a parallel universe?

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Camino Maps

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Why....because people keep posting and asking if they can walk in March, for example. It is shocking, I admit. But perhaps some do not follow events in Spain and their home countries too well? Factual information is important in helping others to concretize that they cannot come to Spain this Spring...
I am sure what you said is true. To me that is even more reason that people should not be on the Camino when there is a world wide pandemic that is just getting worse and for whatever reason, unless they live in a country with government controlled media, choose to remain ignorant or uninformed on their own safety and health. How can people like that expect to be responsible for the safety of others.

With almost everyone who can afford to walk the Camino will have access to that new invention called the World Wide Web and they can find out everything they need to know, unless they end up on some QAnon website. Then all bets are off!! :)

lt56ny

Veteran Member
I totally agree with Bristle Boy but I can only the wonderment that newbies and such other ill informed folks would think if their post or question was put into the "nolo comprendre" box.
100% agree with Bristle Boy and Biarritzdon. It gets tiring responding to these posts that really serve no purpose at all.

Bristle boy

I will go beyond tiring...it is exhausting and more than pointless.
The constant updates of lockdowns when the majority of people are lucky to travel to the park, let alone another country.
The constant updates and references to EU travel restrictions. It is akin to someone saying you are not invited to a party you told them (months ago) you would not be coming.
I would love to go on Camino (last years was postponed) but higher on my list is to hug my grandson.
Keep safe.....and patient.

wayfarer

Staff member
Its ok to dream and plan but not to travel at the moment and probably for a while to come but this does not mean that we cannot advise on the information needed by newbies and also advise on the situation of travel without being rude or shutting down the threads.
We are all fed up with covid threads at this stage and it is refreshing to see some questions on equipment, albergues etc again.

Bristle boy

Its ok to dream and plan but not to travel at the moment and probably for a while to come but this does not mean that we cannot advise on the information needed by newbies and also advise on the situation of travel without being rude or shutting down the threads.
We are all fed up with covid threads at this stage and it is refreshing to see some questions on equipment, albergues etc again.
When it comes to equipment...I miss Dave Bugg. Now there was somebody who knew what he was talking about.
I was missing Tom Andreo also...

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Bristle boy

I came across a few members who were very helpful to me when I first joined when I was reading an old post this morning, I miss them, but people leave or no longer post for their own reasons and we have to respect that.
I realise that...it doesnt stop you missing them nonetheless.
Two such sages would have kept things on track and relevant.

Marc S.

Since 2012: CF, CdN, CP, Salvador, Aragones, Via Regia, Elisabethpfad, Jakobsweg NRW, Jakibspaad.
It gets tiring responding to these posts that really serve no purpose at all.

Well, if you find it tiring to respond there is a simple solution: just do not respond.:)

For me the OP's post does have a purpose, by providing factual information about recent regulations in Castilla et Leon. I always thought that providing such factual information is one of the purposes of this forum.

In my understanding, the OP is considering walking a camino in May, and also adding that it is impossible at this moment to predict whether this will be possible by then. A fair enough assessment and I think we are free to daydream or plan about what might be possible again during the course of this year.

Last edited:
Camino Maps
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
some and then more. see my signature.
Well, if you find it tiring to respond there is a simple solution: just do not respond.:)

For me the OP's post does have a purpose, by providing factual information about recent regulations in Castilla et Leon. I always thought that providing such factual information is one of the purposes of this forum.

In my understanding, the OP is considering walking a camino in May, and also adding that it is impossible at this moment to predict whether this will be possible by then. A fair enough assessment and I think we are free to daydream or plan about what might be possible again during the course of this year.

Thank you @Marc S. Like you , I feel that this forum is a good place to give factual information about recent Covid regulations like some experienced forummembers do. For instance referring to national websites from governments.

(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Gently Pilgrims, gently. I'm planning my next camino from the office to the beer-fridge. Does anyone know if that is feasible, reasonable or practicable?
Beer is never wrong. Planning/dreaming likewise.

(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC

Bob Howard

Frances 2016
Frances 2018
Exactly. Thanks. We're all entitled to our unique opinion about shoes, pack weight and favorite allergies. But traveling during a pandemic is not a matter of interpretation or opinion. People insisting on walking with the virus still an issue is embarrassing.

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
2021 Camino Guides
Status
Not open for further replies.