• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No-one writes about the hospitaleros.....

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
...so I was told by Maria Teresa, hospitalera of the beautiful refugio in Tui. I was on my way out, the last, as always. We got talking, "Pilgrims should realise that we have families and another life" she said. She went on to tell me of a couple who had arrived by bus from Oviedo the day before who were outraged when she told them that they would have to wait for others to arrive before she would admit them. "We'll write to the Xunta de Galicia," they told her very rudely. "I hope they do," Marie Teresa said: "They will get the same answer as I gave them: "Peregrinos a pie, first, then con caballos, then con bici, then finally those with coches de apoyo. That is fair. I am not going to turn away someone who has walked 30 kms that day because two yet-to-be pilgrims think they have a right to beds before they have even walked a kilometer."
And she is right, of course. Perhaps the greatest lesson any of us can learn on the Camino is the humility to accept what we are given and not to expect anything and to put others before ourselves when there is a clear need. Certainly this has transpired to be my lesson on this Camino from Portugal. It is one I am still working on...but I still have 100 kms to go!
And now someone has written about the hospitaleros.....

Now that I have finally got interbet acces (thank you so much Concello de Poriño Biblioteca) I will try to get as much caught up on my blog as possible. SO MUCH to write about!
Tracy Saunders
Blistered, bruised, burned from the Camino but happy as a clam
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Therese Fardo, Miradoux, Chemin de St. Jacques, at the gite "La Pause Verte"

Therese has welcomed pelerins into her home for decades. She collects sink water to recycle to her plants, so one must indulge the perpetual mess of the kitchen, but she is a gracious hostess and fantastic cook with much of the food being seasonal from her garden. An Air France flight steward, Sebastian, was so taken with her commitment to pilgrims after staying with her as a guest, that he returned for a few days to help after he finished his walk to Santiago, before having to return to work, and was there to greet pilgrims that day. He was at least tri-lingual, so was very valuable to the Scot, two Americans, Quebecoise, Swiss couple, French woman, and Spaniard during the dinner conversation.

Therese loaded four of us into her car before dinner and drove us 15 km to Lachapelle, a restored baroque chapel that is now a national historic site, but far enough off the beaten path that it gets few visitors. At one time the Chemin de St. Jacques passed by, but a re-routing has left the place high and dry. The extensively gilded interior was restored by the French government, and is as striking as any cathedral in Spain. The chapel docent gave an excellent tour.

After dinner in the evening, Therese guided her guests to the church in town for which she is the guardian of the key. She brought along a tape player, and sang hymns and Ultreia with the pilgrims that knew the words. She had a very nice voice, and Sebastian's baritone sang harmony.

Now someone has written about the hospitalera!!

Attachments

• France 408.jpg
    France 408.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 754
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: No-one writes about the hospitaleros..... Thérèse followup

Thérèse singing in the church of the next town to Miradoux:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB02uEp3 ... re=related

Thérèse talking about being a pilgrim (in French):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK6mLTs8 ... re=related

She is a classic, alive, and immortal because of the internet! I think she cleaned up the sink area behind her in the interview just for the interview. She usually has buckets and tubs all over it collecting the plant-watering water.

And here's a photo that shows some of the many flowers she has nurtured outside her house:

Attachments

• IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 575
Hello

I agree that the hospitaleros can be an important part of the Camino. I ahd at least one poor experience with a hospitalero whihc I am happy enough to forget. I also had a good experience whihch I do remember and which helped me when I was having a problem

I arrived at Castrojeriz with a "sprained" ankle. I stayed at the Casa Nostra whish seems to be in a several hundred year old home. The hospitalero, Juan(?), was very helpful. He helped me find a doctor, directed me to the farmacia and was ready to lend me his bike or car to get myself to the farmacia. When I decided to continue on the Camino but shorten it he gave me a ride to Fromista where I caught a bus.

He was quite busy but was helpful when I needed it. Much appreciated.

Sometimes I would take pictures of the hospitaleros (because I appreciated what they were doing) and I goit the impression that too many people came through absorbed in their own experiences and relating to the hospialeros as only people providing a service and not as part themselves of the Caminio experience.

They are part of our Camino experience and we theirs.

I do go on :)

John

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back