• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No phone....risky?

CaminoMatto

Good morning everyone!

Just this morning as I was getting into my truck to drive to work, I dropped my cell phone into a huge snow drift. It's now totally dead which isn't a huge deal as it was very old and ready to be exchanged basically anytime. However, I was planning on bringing my phone on my camino in January. I could just buy a new phone, but before I rush into that I thought I should ask...

How risky is it to walk the camino with no cell phone?

I am a young guy, fit, healthy, not accident prone and I have a good guide book. Is it reasonable to think I could just ditch the cell phone entirely and go on a phone-free camino?

I am not too worried about needing a phone for emergencies (although maybe I should be), my main concern is alburges being closed during the winter season and ending up being stranded somewhere with no roof over my head and no phone to call other lodgings. Is this a valid concern or could one get by on a winter camino with no cell phone.

Matt.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A cheap talk and text type phone, and then as you have realised, you are not left without communication for accomodation etc. You can always buy something more expensive when you get home. Just make sure whatever you get will work in Spain. Buen Camino

Since you'll be in the market for a new phone, might as well get an unlocked phone of your choice and bring it with you and buy a local SIM card, all these "burner phones" that people buy for a short trip are just adding the mountain of E-waste that gets bigger by the day.
Pay phones around the world are going the way of the dodo bird.
Like the saying goes, "better to have one and not need it.......

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It is not necessary to have a phone with you but it is a peace of mind. (For me anyways)
We do use Skype and heywire to keep in touch with family and business at home. Often it wasn't for days at a time but none the less it was peace of mind. With my family all living in the DC area you never know anymore. Most or all androids use of WiFi makes it a comfortable addition to my pack.

It is up to the individual completely.

Buy a good smartphone (Samsung S5) This will cover all needs. Camera, email, text etc. You can also bring a spare sd card and battery. Bring a phone IMO

I am not a phone expert, but I think the cheapest and most reliable way to have something to use in Spain is to buy a cheap phone with a prepaid card in it. The per minute rates have dropped tremendously over the last few years, and you can usually get a basic phone with 20 euros of time on it for under 30 euros. It's easy to recharge, at some ATMs, tobacco shops, etc. I have a phone I bought in 2004, and I just keep bringing it back and re-loading it when I arrive in Spain. It doesn't charge you for incoming calls, so you will be reach-able in an emergency. Maybe that is what bajaracer refers to as a "burner phone", but I have gotten a lot of use out of mine and plan to use it for many years to come! The increasing amount of toxic cell phone garbage is of great concern, so it's a matter of balancing your consumption with your conscience.

I wouldn't walk any camino in January without a phone that works in Spain. In other months, at least on caminos like the Frances, you can "freeload" (don't mean that in a bad way) off other pilgrims in case of an emergency, but not likely in January.

Buen camino, Laurie

CaminoMatto:

I agree 100% with what Laurie is saying here. Just buy a burner for 30 euro's and it will have 15-20 euro's of time on it. All texting will be free and local calls will be very cheap. You can even text or call the states on them if needed. I have had the same phone for years and have used a similar approach in other countries. I just bring along the phone for the country I am traveling too.

Ultreya,
Joe

Since you'll be in the market for a new phone, might as well get an unlocked phone of your choice and bring it with you and buy a local SIM card, all these "burner phones" that people buy for a short trip are just adding the mountain of E-waste that gets bigger by the day.
Pay phones around the world are going the way of the dodo bird.
Like the saying goes, "better to have one and not need it.......

This only works if the phone you buy BEFORE coming to Europe will work on the GSM frequencies in use in Europe. They are different than used in North America. The best bet is buying a "quad-band" phone with a standard SIM card.

The second biggest consideration is that the phone NOT be LOCKED to the original carrier. This is especially problematic in the US. it is very difficult and more expensive to buy an unlocked phone that will accept a foreign SIM.

Also, it is becoming more difficult to find a "dumb phone" in the US. This is the generation of phone that predated the smart phones everyone has now. The original replies stating that you only need a phone with voice and text are spot on. That is what I use.

I also carry a second device, an iPod Touch, to do everything else a smart phone would do, including VOIP using Wi-Fi when I stay someplace with a strong Wi-Fi signal. The iPod is my camera, computer, e-mail client, e-book library, guide book, language translator, and videophone (Face Time). I do not leave home without it when I travel foreign.

I have a quad-band Samsung "soap bar" phone from t-Mobile in the US. I got it unlocked as soon as could figure out how to get the code. This phone has a standard sized SIM. So, when I get on the airplane, I swap out the SIM, effectively giving the phone a brain transplant. It goes from a US phone number (+1) to the Belgian (+32) pre-paid phone I have maintained for nearly a decade. My contacts are all on the phone, so they are not affected by the SIM swap. This lash-up works all over the world except in Japan because the Japanese have totally different GSM frequencies.

The easiest thing to do is to buy a phone on arrival in France, Spain, or whichever country you will be spending most of your time. If you are planning to walk the Camino Frances, the first opportunity to buy a "mobile" phone would be in France (Paris, Bayonne or St. Jean Pied de Port). But that would have a French SIM. In Spain, your first chance will likely be in Pamplona, about four days from the beginning at St. Jean Pied de Port.

You could buy an inexpensive dual-band, EU only phone in France then switch to a new Spanish SIM in Pamplona to keep costs down. The SIM that originally came with the phone will have a small pre-paid amount on it, normally no more than about €10 - €15. Just remember to bring all your contacts so you can input them to the new phone.

It is also relatively easy to buy a tri-band or quad-band mobile phone in Europe. Just ask for a "quad-band" phone or a tri-band phone. "Quad" is better. The advantage of this is that you can use it in the US when you return.

I hope this helps.

Thanks everyone, may I ask what is meant by "burner phone", are you meaning I should buy a cheap phone once I am in spain? Or buy a cheap unlocked phone here in Canada before I go over?

Either way great information and after reading some replies I will most surely be taking a phone of some sorts.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone, may I ask what is meant by "burner phone", are you meaning I should buy a cheap phone once I am in spain? Or buy a cheap unlocked phone here in Canada before I go over?

Either way great information and after reading some replies I will most surely be taking a phone of some sorts.

Thanks!

Burner phones are the cheap €20-30 prepaid basic phones you can buy locally when you land in Spain. I recommend something like this:
http://www.motorola.ca/moto-g-ca-en/moto-g-ca-en.html
This would make a great world travel phone, just pick up a local SIM card when you arrive in Spain or any other country you travel to.
Here is site on traveling with an unlocked phone: http://www.neverendingvoyage.com/buying-local-sim-cards-overseas/

Last edited:

Thanks!
took with me a nokia UNLOCKED phone, the same i use here in US. placed my mobile phone services on 'suspended' during my 2 months euro-time (10$ monthly fee) and bought a 12euro SIM card in lisbon that i could 'restock' w/ euros in many places on the way when needed. served me perfectly. only my portuguese/euro contacts had my phone number, everyone else could contact me via email if they wanted.
i used the phone a few times to inquire about accommodation ahead of time, but very rarely indeed. I sometimes texted updates to euro friends or other pilgrims who walked ahead of me, used the phone as an impromptu torch at night on the way to the loo ... but that's about it.
in winter it would probably good to have a phone - the paths are less traveled. but if you can avoid to buy a 'burner' phone, as mentioned by another poster, it would be preferable, no? no additional waste. less is more ...
cheers - and Bom Caminho -

I did two Camino Frances without a cell phone. No problems at all. I did have a small tablet for internet though to keep in touch back home, but you can easily do a Camino without a cell phone. I have carried with me in other travels a small, cheap Nokia cell phone (unlocked) with an interchangeable SIM card (buy one in whichever country you visit and load up on minutes). All it does is talk and text. Nothing else. Has come in handy and I suppose would be good on the Camino. Some people call them "burner phones" or "throw down phones". The great thing is that if you break it or lose it, no big deal. If you are going to do a Camino where you plan on making reservations ahead it would definitely be worth bringing. If you can find one in Canada for cheap, buy it. Saves you from having to find one in Spain.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I you go in January, that is in full winter, a cell phone is a must. There is bad weather, desert villages (not a person in sight), lonely roads, many bars nd restaurantes are closed -you get the idea. The phone may be helpful, too, for being sure that albergues are open or, alternatively, make reservations in hostals.
On the other side, landscapes are magical in winter, and local people and fellow pilgrims more appreciative of your effort -so, more helpful.
Buen camino!

I walked all the way to Muxia and then Finisterre with no device whatsoever. Not only was it NOT risky, it was also incredibly liberating.
Q:What do Magellan, Columbus and Vasco de Gama have in common?
A: NoGPScellphonetabletiphonecomputerthingy. And look what they did...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Being able to communicate - either with the folks back home; or to contact an hotel, alberque to arrange accommodation a basic phone will do. But given that Spain has the most expensive telephone charges in Europe (especially for non-spanish phones) I recommend getting one that is "unlocked" and get a local (Spanish) SIM card on arrival. If you are from Nth America then you might need to buy one on arrival. Buy the cheapest one you can - if its not going to be usable back home I am sure Ivar will know someone who will take it off your hands at a price close to what you originally paid. Cheers!

Matt: As a mother of another guy: I would appreciate knowing that my son was okay. Please. Take a phone so that you can touch base with someone in your family. If my son (now approaching 30) were going, I'd want to know he's okay. What am I saying: I am walking alone in April, and he has told me to check in daily. It goes both ways. Part of your journey may be loved ones at home who carry you in their hearts.

Matt.

I've walked the camino and thousands of kilometers in wild places. I've managed to do that without a cell phone.

It must be that devil-may-care attitude of mine ... I don't know.

(Business Continuity Planning) Ask yourself ... whats the worst that could happen? (the threat) and how likely is it that worst case scenario actually happens (the risk) what can I do to prevent the worst case scenario from happening? (mitigation). What can I do if I don't have a cell phone and have to deal with the problem without and how would that response be different if I did have one (disaster response plan).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You don't need one. If you get injured in the middle of nowhere, you most likely will not have coverage. If you are not in the middle of nowhere, you can borrow a phone from a local, ask them to use their home phone (and offer to pay them for it) or use the local payphones they still have.

If you want to bring one (I do, so I can be reached from home in case of a home emergency, and frankly, to book for the following night so I don't have to worry about finding a bed - I have short legs, it takes me time to get somewhere) it has to work in Spain. "Burn phones" have been forbidden in Spain since the Atocha train bombings.

What I do is rent one here for the duration of my trip. That way I have a phone number to give to my relatives before leaving home and don't have to worry about finding a Sim card once in Spain. In coming calls are free, even from abroad, fee for use of phone in Spain is about 60cents a day, no matter how many calls I make. Calls home are 1$ or so a minute, but if I call just to find out if everyone is alive and if the house is still standing then it's all I need. Plus with a smart phone and free WIFI in so many places I really don't need to call home. I leave that to ET and the early 80s ;0)

The advantages of an unlocked GSM smartphone:
You're familiar with the device you have, have you tried to text from a basic cellphone? Not fun at all.
A Local Spanish SIM card is cheaper than buying the whole phone.
Local phone service with data is cheaper than any "international plan" through your home carrier.
Incoming calls and SMS (texts) are free.
Only one device to keep track of.
The ability to use all my apps like I would at home, (except Pandora radio USA only).
Takes good photos.

When you get back home, install a SIM card in the phone you already own and you're back in business.

http://www.wanderingearl.com/mobile-phones-travel-save-money-with-local-sim-cards/

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good morning everyone!
Matt.

Like your queston!

Although I take a phone just because I like it to be able to be in contact, there is absolutely no risk of walking without a cell phone, especially if you are not worried about emergencies.
20 years ago no one usesd a phone, I don't think the number of people who died or got seriously wounded because they had to wait for rescue dropped since then. The camino is the most densely walked path everywhere.
Not the things we need makes backpacks heavy but fear for... :)
If you find out you need one, you can still always buy a cheap spanish one.

Have a wonderful camino!

A phone gives freedom to call ahead for a room, to call a taxi if needed to reach accommodation and return to the Camino next day. It doesn't need to be fancy. In our experience the best coverage is Orange/Movistar. PAYG is easy to top up and if planning on returning you can keep the phone 'live' by sending a text each month so as not to lose your remaining credit. Public phones, like public computers, are a disappearing item and usually not to be found when needed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked all the way to Muxia and then Finisterre with no device whatsoever. Not only was it NOT risky, it was also incredibly liberating.
Q:What do Magellan, Columbus and Vasco de Gama have in common?
A: NoGPScellphonetabletiphonecomputerthingy. And look what they did...

Columbus set sail for Asia and landed in the Bahamas. Magellan met his demise in the Philippines :) I'll give you de Gama :)

I have walked the camino many times with no phone. I actually prefer it and only take a phone if/when I'm leading a group.
If you need help, every other person in front of you and behind you has a phone.
Don't worry about it.
Enjoy the silence.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
But @Anniesantiago who will be in front or behind in January? Even on the Frances there will be very few people around.

This has been my primary concern. I am not really too worried about emails, text messages, facebook etc as I am not really into that stuff even when it is accessible.
Emergencies are of small concern to me (but not NO concern) but primarily I worry about being cold, tired, blistered and stranded in a small village at the end of the day, only to see a note on the alburge window saying "closed" or "call this number" and then not having a cell.

Buy the cheapest one you can - if its not going to be usable back home I am sure Ivar will know someone who will take it off your hands at a price close to what you originally paid.
I have not been to Europe for several years now, but we were hoping we might be able to use someone else's used "burn" phone from a Camino the year prior? I am aware that in Spain you have to register when you purchase a phone due to anti-terrorism laws. If we buy a used phone from a friend will that work or is it illegal?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have not been to Europe for several years now, but we were hoping we might be able to use someone else's used "burn" phone from a Camino the year prior? I am aware that in Spain you have to register when you purchase a phone due to anti-terrorism laws. If we buy a used phone from a friend will that work or is it illegal?[/QUOTE]
It was not an issue for me as in Oz we use the same mobile/cell system as Europe - I brought my el-cheapo from home and still have it. When I return to Spain all I will need to do is reactive the SIM.
I do agree with you about "registering" the phone - I needed to produce my passport - which they photocopied. But I feel certain that you can sell a mobile phone - maybe you need to provide some identification. (Anyone tried this???) Cheers

I don't think it's the phone that gets registered, it's the number and the card that goes into the phone. I bought a Spanish phone many years ago and bring it back with me every year to the Camino. I have to show my passport and fill out forms to buy the card, but no one ever does anything about the old device itself.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Risk
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other uses, see Risk (disambiguation).
Risk is the potential of losing something of value. Values (such as physical health, social status, emotional well being or financial wealth) can be gained or lost when taking risk resulting from a given action, activity and/or inaction, foreseen or unforeseen. Risk can also be defined as the intentional interaction with uncertainty. Risk perception is the subjective judgment people make about the severity and/or probability of a risk, and may vary person to person. Any human endeavor carries some risk, but some are much riskier than others.

In my experience and opinion:
There may be circumstances during your Camino where you could need a phone. Yes.
Is the risk large enough that not taking a phone is a dangerous and unwise decision. No.
You will be walking in areas which are rural (mostly), and the local population is very aware of pilgrims and their needs.
As quoted, it differs from person to person, so if one has special conditions or needs, then of course a phone may be a necessity.

Risk. Planning to walk across South America from Brazilian Atlantic Coast to Peru Pacific Coast.
Don't bring a phone. Bring two!

Lettinggo
(Have walked winter Camino with no phone and had no problem. Locals or other pilgrims was sufficient help).

I don't think it's the phone that gets registered, it's the number and the card that goes into the phone. I bought a Spanish phone many years ago and bring it back with me every year to the Camino. I have to show my passport and fill out forms to buy the card, but no one ever does anything about the old device itself.
Thanks for this. When I lived in Germany it was similar and had hoped this would be the case.

There is nothing "risky" about not having a cell phone with you while walking the Camino (really nothing risky at all about walking the Camino period). Could not having one be inconvenient? Sure. Inconvenient yes, risky no.
Bring one and avoid the inconvenience of not having a bed for the night.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Risk
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other uses, see Risk (disambiguation).
Risk is the potential of losing something of value. Values (such as physical health, social status, emotional well being or financial wealth) can be gained or lost when taking risk resulting from a given action, activity and/or inaction, foreseen or unforeseen. Risk can also be defined as the intentional interaction with uncertainty. Risk perception is the subjective judgment people make about the severity and/or probability of a risk, and may vary person to person. Any human endeavor carries some risk, but some are much riskier than others.

In my experience and opinion:
There may be circumstances during your Camino where you could need a phone. Yes.
Is the risk large enough that not taking a phone is a dangerous and unwise decision. No.
You will be walking in areas which are rural (mostly), and the local population is very aware of pilgrims and their needs.
As quoted, it differs from person to person, so if one has special conditions or needs, then of course a phone may be a necessity.

Risk. Planning to walk across South America from Brazilian Atlantic Coast to Peru Pacific Coast.
Don't bring a phone. Bring two!

Lettinggo
(Have walked winter Camino with no phone and had no problem. Locals or other pilgrims was sufficient help).

I work in Adventure Therapy and there is one of many theories that we ascribe to regarding risk and adventure: The first is Risk vs. Hazards. Risk can be managed to some degree hazards are elements beyond our control. For example, lightning, rock fall, floods, fire, insects etc. Risk is the way that we manage the hazard. For example, we know that the high peaks are often stormy after about noon so we base our peak ascents on summiting by noon and heading down BEFORE the hazard of lightning becomes too great.
OK, really what we are doing is manipulating how our students perceive the risks.
The third part of this is the Adventure Experience Paradigm. You can find it online. It's a graph that shows competence on one axis and risk on the other. We want to facilitate the Adventure Experience by pushing competence ever so slightly without going too far.
Phone or no phone. We all perceive the world as a dangerous and scary place and that without the ready availability of technology we are doomed. Not true. Have a true pilgrim experience, trust the Camino to give you what you need. I never went without food or shelter even in the most crap weather ever!

I work in Adventure Therapy and there is one of many theories that we ascribe to regarding risk and adventure: The first is Risk vs. Hazards. Risk can be managed to some degree hazards are elements beyond our control. For example, lightning, rock fall, floods, fire, insects etc. Risk is the way that we manage the hazard. For example, we know that the high peaks are often stormy after about noon so we base our peak ascents on summiting by noon and heading down BEFORE the hazard of lightning becomes too great.
OK, really what we are doing is manipulating how our students perceive the risks.
The third part of this is the Adventure Experience Paradigm. You can find it online. It's a graph that shows competence on one axis and risk on the other. We want to facilitate the Adventure Experience by pushing competence ever so slightly without going too far.
Phone or no phone. We all perceive the world as a dangerous and scary place and that without the ready availability of technology we are doomed. Not true. Have a true pilgrim experience, trust the Camino to give you what you need. I never went without food or shelter even in the most crap weather ever!

Hola

I like your reply which explain some thoughts and theories that can be useful in planning a Camino.
One thing that I do find questionable is using the therm 'true experience'.
What is 'true' is not something universal and depends on multiple personal factors.
Factors which many times cannot be judged or even understood by other persons.
We can only pass on our own personal experiences which may inspire other people or give them a new perspective on thoughts they have.

Buen camino
Lettinggo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Without a smart phone you will find it really difficult to keep up to date on all the current celebrity gossip!

OK, sarcasm aside, a Spot Tracker with the SOS signal would be a better safety tool. However, we first did the Camino during the 9/11 attacks and would have loved to have access to news in English.

I think pilgrims of old would find us rather insane for not taking a phone along. "You have a device that can tell you the weather, can call for help, and will let you communicate with your loved ones? And you leave this device at home???"

You can chose to be as connected or disconnected as you want. You can pick up a "dumb" phone for next to nothing and buy a pre-paid sim card for just a few Euros. Throw it in your pack and forget about it until you need it.

When it comes to emergency gear, the cellphone is your most important tool. In spite of what people tell you, the path is not always full of other helpful pilgrims. And the nearest town isn't always just around the corner. There are lots of places where you could take a spill and sprain or break something or worse and not see anyone for hours. Or you might be the one who comes across an injured person. A woman I walked with took a nasty fall and banged her head pretty bad. Fortunately she was found by other pilgrims who were able to call for help. If no one had a cellphone, they would have either had to carry her (not advised) or wait for someone to go find the nearest phone.

Just take a phone. Do it for yourself and your fellow pilgrims.

Guide? Maps? Books? Camera? Weight is king so phone only for me. Plus can contact home to check on people/reassure them, contact emergency services/accomodation/ fellow pilgrims if necessary. No brainer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Summer: Good weather. Lots of people in Camino. Crowded squares, markets, streets. Many bars, every albergue open.
Winter: Bad, possible awful weather. Muddy, slippery paths. Snow, wind, rain. Very few people in Camino. Desert villages, not a soul in sight. Most bars and albergues closed. (But a wonderful experience, on the other side).
Carrying (or not) a phone is not a matter of principle. Take a a sensible, practical decision. If you decide to go phone less in January, try to get a walking partner, especially in difficult stages.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
You decide to take a phone. What's the worst thing that happens? You don't use the phone.

You don't take the phone. What's the worst thing that happens?

Feature phones are basically free. If you don't intend to use it the cost will be very little.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Although I take a phone just because I like it to be able to be in contact, there is absolutely no risk of walking without a cell phone, especially if you are not worried about emergencies. 20 years ago no one usesd a phone, I don't think the number of people who died or got seriously wounded because they had to wait for rescue dropped since then. The camino is the most densely walked path everywhere.

Quote from above -"...,especially if you are not worried about emergencies.....". Really? I doubt there are a lot of people who embark on an 800 Kms walking adventure in Northern Spain in the middle of the winter without the thought of a possible emergency scenario in the back of their minds...

BTW, I walked from Calzada del Coto to El Burgo Ranero (via Calzadilla de los Hermanillos) and I NEVER saw another pilgrim. This was on SUNDAY, 29 JUNE 2014. In the midst of high season on the Camino-- almost 15 Kms. Truth to be known, two things calmed me down: 1) my faith on the Camino, 2) I had a phone for emergencies.

This past May (2014), a 65 years old Irish pilgrim cyclist was found by a local on the side of the road by his bicycle (1 km from Hospital Da Condesa- Altos de San Roque, pass O'Cebreiro). No visible damages to the bicycle, so a traffic acident was initially ruled out. The pilgrim exhibited head injury and it appears that he laid by the road for some time before passing from what became a fatal head injury. Had another pilgrim cyclist come upon this situation, who knows a phone could had been a life saver.

As I posted earlier, if walking in JANUARY, a phone is not a luxury, is part of the emergency kit.

Quote from above -"...,especially if you are not worried about emergencies.....". Really? I doubt there are a lot of people who embark on an 800 Kms walking adventure in Northern Spain in the middle of the winter without the thought of a possible emergency scenario in the back of their minds...
CaminoMatto, the started of this thread wrote: 'I am not too worried about needing a phone for emergencies'. That is what I quoted.

For you it is a part of your emergency kit, for met it isn't. That was clear already. It's all fine to make our own choices and to give the advice from our own perspective.
End of discussion for me.

"We all perceive the world as a dangerous and scary place and that without the ready availability of technology we are doomed."
NO - I did not and do not perceive the world as a dangerous and scary place .... and I am never feeling that without the ready availability of technology we are doomed.
Since you wrote "We all..." I felt inclined to respond and state a simple "no, non e' vero"
cheers :)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I left my phone at home the last time I walked the Camino. It was wonderful. What freedom.

Thanks for the replies everyone, lots and lots of good information, both for and against taking a phone.
I never intended this thread to go on so long, I hope I didn't stir anything up as that was never my intention.
Since posting the original question, I've decided to take a phone. My iphone 4 is now unlocked and ready to go and my parents and wife feel much better knowing I am not simply vanishing off the face of the earth for six weeks.

Thanks again!!

Matt

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the replies everyone, lots and lots of good information, both for and against taking a phone.
I never intended this thread to go on so long, I hope I didn't stir anything up as that was never my intention.
Since posting the original question, I've decided to take a phone. My iphone 4 is now unlocked and ready to go and my parents and wife feel much better knowing I am not simply vanishing off the face of the earth for six weeks.

Thanks again!!

Matt
Hey, Matt, this thread is relatively short by our standards. :) Take a look at some of our debates about being a "real" pilgrim, about whether to walk in boots or running shoes, about whether to use a raincoat or a poncho, or about whether to take a heating coil so you can make your own coffee/tea in the morning (one of my particular favorites). Glad that you found it at least somewhat useful. Buen camino, Laurie

Good morning everyone!

Just this morning as I was getting into my truck to drive to work, I dropped my cell phone into a huge snow drift. It's now totally dead which isn't a huge deal as it was very old and ready to be exchanged basically anytime. However, I was planning on bringing my phone on my camino in January. I could just buy a new phone, but before I rush into that I thought I should ask...

I am a young guy, fit, healthy, not accident prone and I have a good guide book. Is it reasonable to think I could just ditch the cell phone entirely and go on a phone-free camino?

I am not too worried about needing a phone for emergencies (although maybe I should be), my main concern is alburges being closed during the winter season and ending up being stranded somewhere with no roof over my head and no phone to call other lodgings. Is this a valid concern or could one get by on a winter camino with no cell phone.

Matt.
Your phone will be ok. Just put it somewhere that is dry and it will dry out overnight or a few days. I dropped mine in water and I thought it was finished but when I picked it up late the next day it was working!!!!

It's nice having a phone but not necessary on the Camino.
Buen Camino
Frances

Based on the cell phone coverage map ... I'd leave the cell phone at home. It will likely have no value in an emergency. If you must have comms then bring a satellite phone.

Cell phone coverage map Spain
http://opensignal.com/coverage-maps/Spain/

I prefer walking without a phone when I am a pilgrim. But as a host, it's good to have a heads-up, especially in winter!

If you look at the list of open Winter albergues and private homes, you will see that many (including Peaceable) really like it if you phone ahead and let someone know you are coming. That way, maybe your room will be warm when you arrive!

Otherwise, we might go out for dinner, or off mushroom hunting, and you will find the doors closed when you finally shlep into town. Which would be sad for us all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
[QUOTE=" many (including Peaceable) really like it if you phone ahead and let someone know you are coming. That way, maybe your room will be warm when you arrive!

And many albergues post a phone number of the door for us to call when we get there ... Wish they would post an email addy and have wifi as well... for those of us travelling from outside Spain.

I think that the phone number works because it is often a mobile, so contact can be made easily. On some albergues it is painted over the door so tht it is possible to call the hospitalero to open up. The Camino Inglés has at least 2 like this, so I presume others are similar. E-mail would only work if the hospitalero was using their computer (or maybe has a smartphone). Wi-fi - that is presumably for the pilgrims' convenience in the albergue and doesn't help if the pilgrim needs to make contact from outside anywhere or in an emergency. Our choice is still a simple ordinary (non-wifi) phone.

Spring and fall Caminos I haven't felt that a phone would have ever been used. I don't pre-book accommodation because I like the freedom to end the day where it feels appropriate. News from home and messages are dealt with on my Ipod over cafe con leche at a wifi cafe.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good morning everyone!

Matt.
Hi Matt,
I have completed 2 camino's ( Francis and Portugese ) and on both occasions, did not have a cell and/or tablet.... I think its a personal preference, but being able to be completely disconnected and unplugged from phones etc... is an a wonderful experience. the unplugging allows a level of mindfulness and complete presence on your journey. Last year in Portugal/Spain I found it so odd and honestly a bit sad that when we walked into some albergues that everyone had their heads down in their phones, or on their tablets..... it was like a made rush to find WIFI.... one day we were sitting at the bottom of road dirt road near a creek having a snack, and literally watched and listened to a man talk on a cell phone so loud that we could hear him walk for about 1km, he was so entrenched in his call that he missed many beautiful moments, one of which was walking past three lovely pelegrinas who had invited him to join in some fresh fruit and he didn't even notice us.... ( note we were about a foot away ) anyways, each persons journey is their own.... From a safety perspective there is always someone who will lend you their phone if needed... Buen Camino... :)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.