• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No Pilgrims Mass

Chocoluvr

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Just arrived a few hours ago in Santiago de Compostela (woohoo!) and 1st stop was at the Cathedral. Unfortunately, the front portion is under renovation so no memorable entrance via the main stairs.

Anyway, found out that there's no Pilgrims Mass today & tomorrow (14 & 15 April), as I suspected since masses are not said in Catholic churches on Good Friday & Black Saturday. The noon mass on Easter Sunday is a special Easter mass. The next Pilgrims Mass is at 7:30pm on Sunday, 16 April.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
While there is no mass, there will be a eucharist on Friday and Saturday. I think the pilgrim arrivals will be announced even though it is not a "Pilgrim's Mass."

Additionally:

During the next 14 and 15 of April, Friday and Saturday Saints, the sound of the bells of the Cathedral of Santiago will be replaced by the one of the carraca, instrument of percussion of enormous dimensions that is housed in the north tower of the facade of the Obradoiro, recently restored, so that its rumble will resonate again, especially in the nearby plazas of the Cathedral.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just arrived a few hours ago in Santiago de Compostela (woohoo!) and 1st stop was at the Cathedral. Unfortunately, the front portion is under renovation so no memorable entrance via the main stairs.

Anyway, found out that there's no Pilgrims Mass today & tomorrow (14 & 15 April), as I suspected since masses are not said in Catholic churches on Good Friday & Black Saturday. The noon mass on Easter Sunday is a special Easter mass. The next Pilgrims Mass is at 7:30pm on Sunday, 16 April.
Not to complain or anything but I found the Cathedral pretty disappointing. We were at the Cathedral a few Sunday's ago after our Camino in March and the church was filled to standing room only. The priest read off list of pilgrims and their place of origin and starting points, managing to skip ours altogther (California, USA and Pamplona) -- we'd got our Compostela the day before so maybe it was too soon? Also, can anyone explain why the botafumeiro wasn't swinging? I was in Compostela as a tourist a few years earlier and saw it then.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not to complain or anything but I found the Cathedral pretty disappointing. We were at the Cathedral a few Sunday's ago after our Camino in March and the church was filled to standing room only. The priest read off list of pilgrims and their place of origin and starting points, managing to skip ours altogther (California, USA and Pamplona) -- we'd got our Compostela the day before so maybe it was too soon? Also, can anyone explain why the botafumeiro wasn't swinging? I was in Compostela as a tourist a few years earlier and saw it then.
The boafumeiro swings often, but not at every mass. If you want to see it swing you must pay some 300€, or attend Friday evening mass. If you have seen it swing before, it's for,one of those two reasons.

While there is no mass, there will be a eucharist on Friday and Saturday. I think the pilgrim arrivals will be announced even though it is not a "Pilgrim's Mass."

Elsewhere in the Cathedral:
EJERCICIOS ESPIRITUALES: del 13 al 17 de marzo

A las 18:00 h. en la Capilla del Santísimo.

A las 19:00 h. Santo Rosario.

A las 19:15 h. Bendición con el Santísimo.
Sorry but this is not correct. Those services are for March, not April.
No Catholic church, anywhere, ever has Eucharist on Holy Saturday. (I am a Catholic priest.) Nor in fact on Good Friday, although there is a distribution at the "Liturgy of the Passion" of pre-consecrated reserved hosts.
No other services are held during Holy Saturday (except perhaps Morning Prayer, or Office of Readings, or also here the "Stations of the Cross") until the Easter Vigil, after sunset. See below: it is at 10pm Saturday.

Here is the information from the Cathedral web site
15 de abril: Sábado Santo

12:00 h. Celebración del Oficio de Lecturas

18:00 h. Sermón de la Soledad y Viacrucis

22:00 h. Solemne Vigilia Pascual.

Preside Sr. Arzobispo

16 de abril: Domingo de Pascua

11:15 h. Praza da Quintana. Encuentro con Cristo Resucitado

Procesión con chirimías y Botafumeiro

12:00 h. Misa Estacional. Preside Sr. Arzobispo.

Con Bendición Apostólica

Last edited:
On Good Friday:
Veneration of the Cross: A crucifix is solemnly unveiled before the congregation. The people venerate it on their knees. During this part, the "Reproaches" are often sung.
Communion service: Hosts consecrated at the Mass of the previous day are distributed to the people. (Before the reform of Pope Pius XII, only the priest received Communion in the framework of what was called the "Mass of the Presanctified", which included the usual Offertory prayers, with the placing of wine in the chalice, but which omitted the Canon of the Mass.[6]) The Good Friday service is not a Mass, and in fact, celebration of Catholic Mass on Good Friday is forbidden. It is the Eucharist consecrated the evening before (Holy Thursday) that is distributed.
  • Even if music is used in the Liturgy, it is not used to open and close the Liturgy, nor is there a formal recessional (closing procession).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola - I think the difference is caused by the use of the word "Eucharist" which in the Catholic tradition only means Mass - and there is no Mass on Good Friday or Holy Saturday until sundown when the Easter Vigil is celebrated. "Communion", the distribution of hosts consecrated on Holy Thursday, only takes place on Good Friday and not on Holy Saturday.

The list of pilgrims arriving is not read on Good Friday or Holy Saturday. The Mass of Easter Sunday which begins with the Botafumeiro and medieval instruments begins at at 11.15am.

I hope this helps

John

Last edited:
They are doing SOMETHING on Saturday at noon!!

readImage.asp

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.