• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No room at the inn?

Geodoc

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018 (across Pyrenees, then Sarria to SdC), CF 2019 (SJPdP to Finisterra & Muxia), CI 2019
This question is directed at those that walk the CF during the height of the summer rush.

How often have you not been able to find accommodations and what did you wind up doing in those instances?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Once. Walked on after a nice salad, and 13km later found not only a lovely albergue, but the folks we had thought were miles ahead, plus an 80 something year old cyclist dad who was complaining that his daughter was not able to keep his preferred pace...Portomarin was packed to the gills.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Only once had a problem finding a place to stay during the high season. That was in Porto Marin. The "powers to be" within the town were kind enough to open a gym, hand about 200 of us a sleep mat and allowed us to "camp" on the gym floor overnight.
A bit uncomfortable, but we made the best of it, laughed about it the following morning and still talking about it 7 years later !

It's never happened to me personally, but we came across several people who were 'caught short' in Sept 2014 and for whatever reason, preferred not to move on. One was a middle aged plump lady who, the previous night, had ended up on a gym floor in Los Arcos without a mat and as a result, was now booking in advance every night. The other was a group of young people in Najera who were clutching pieces of cardboard because they too had no place to sleep apart from a concrete floor.

We never had problems, but then we were seeking accommodation in the early afternoon, not 5pm.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Instead of strictly following the Brierely stages, seriously consider staying at the last albergue BEFORE entering the recommended stopping place, OR the first place, coming out from the recommended stopping place. Very often, these accommodations are overlooked and will have space available.

Hope this helps.

Given that I walk in a relaxed manner enjoying every moment of the day, often arriving after 4pm I booked ahead. Because additionally after 25-30km, I would not have been able to walk another 13km. People that post no problems usually are solo walkers, we were a couple, and bed races are much more obvious now than 5-10 years ago.

Does anyone know if the numbers are up early and very high? My friends are near Santo Domingo having a hard time up til now getting lodging, but they say it is getting easier near Santo Domingo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Does anyone know if the numbers are up early and very high? My friends are near Santo Domingo having a hard time up til now getting lodging, but they say it is getting easier near Santo Domingo
It's because many people started during Easter week. They are traveling in a wave.

Once. Walked on after a nice salad, and 13km later found not only a lovely albergue, but the folks we had thought were miles ahead, plus an 80 something year old cyclist dad who was complaining that his daughter was not able to keep his preferred pace...Portomarin was packed to the gills.

Portomarin seems to be one of the main choke points doesn't it. (Like Zubiri)
Always seems very full with large groups.
But there are lots of accommodation options.

I think next time I would book my spot there or at least plan to walk on if required.
At least there are a few places further along.
Depending how far you have walked already of course........

But I would miss dinner at O Mirador.
But lunch there is good too! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This question is directed at those that walk the CF during the height of the summer rush.

How often have you not been able to find accommodations and what did you wind up doing in those instances?

Hi Geodoc, I just walked the extra 5 or 10 Km.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It's because many people started during Easter week. They are traveling in a wave.
It was busy during Easter week this year. One town opened their gymnasium and provided gym mats when there was an overflow. I haven’t encountered any problems since Easter Week. I’m currently in Ponferrada.

Hi Geodoc, I just walked the extra 5 or 10 Km.
I have the same question, am walking my first CF in late June - July and will arrive (hopefully) in SdC on July 24. I'm not planning to reserve, but will just go where my feet lead me, and be prepared to keep walking on. I'm going solo and enjoy a good adventure. At least that's what I'm telling myself!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had a little scare yesterday in Portomarín when I went to the albergue to find a bed. They told me a group had booked a 170 beds in town. They had booked all the 10€ beds so I upgraded to a 35€ room and had no problem. There always seems to be a solution to finding a bed.

I have the same question, am walking my first CF in late June - July and will arrive (hopefully) in SdC on July 24. I'm not planning to reserve, but will just go where my feet lead me, and be prepared to keep walking on. I'm going solo and enjoy a good adventure. At least that's what I'm telling myself!
25 July is the day of the Fete de Santiago be prepared for huge crowds and few beds.

I did already answer, but I see the thread is still active. It is 13 years since I walked the CF. Looks like yes, there are many more pilgrims now. I haven't got the kind of brain that keeps track of numbers. I used to hear of numbers like 400 or so in Roncesvalles. Then I would stand, in the mornings, at the fence in the garden in Zabaldika, and look over the field far below, and see pilgrims trotting along, either heading to Trinidad de Arres or Huarte. 400? Not so sure. Rarely did we have completo, but sometimes yes.
So of the 100 or so who took their courage into their feet and came up the hill, and enjoyed the gift of the church, and the bells, and the water and the rest room stop... 18 could stay. Where did the rest disappear to ?
I will be there again for a week in July and it will be interesting to check it out. My own camino this year will be the xxxx. I am not saying! I hope not to have to book ahead. I prefer to let it happen. eventually, I will report...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I second, third, and fourth what BiarritzDon states above. If you plan to be at Santiago on or about Thursday 25 July, and have not already booked in a hotel or private Albuerge, you will likely be out of luck.

This day is the single largest major national holiday, religious feast, and all around party. Everyone who is anyone in Spanish politics is usually here. The King of Spain does attend some years. Other times, a senior member of the government stands in for the King.

The ever-popular, world class fireworks and laser light show are at midnight on 24 July, to celebrate the Feast of Santiago, who is also the patron Saint of Spain, and of Galicia. Typically the several days bracketing the holiday see a couple of a MILLION people visiting the city. Pilgrims are a very small percentage of the overall party goers for those days, and have to compete for bed space.

So, if you plan to come to Santiago then, PLEASE make a reservation. The Pilgrim Office has no rooms and cannot make reservations for you.

On 24 and 25 July, we ALWAYS end up referring people to the #6 bus from Plaza de Galicia to ride out of the city, east, to the large albuerge at Monte de Gozo. But that is about 5 km from the Cathedral.

I have worked at the Pilgrim Office, this time each summer for five years. So, I have been there and seen that. I am planning to do be working again this coming July.

Hope this helps.

On 24 and 25 July, we ALWAYS end up referring people to the #6 bus from Plaza de Galicia to ride out of the city, east, to the large albuerge at Monte de Gozo. But that is about 5 km from the Cathedral.
How about a few days later?
How long do the festivities last?

I will be entering SdC on 30th July, maybe 1st August. Should I really go for a reservation?

TiA

Buen Camino!
Roland

I second, third, and fourth what BiarritzDon states above. If you plan to be at Santiago on or about Thursday 25 July, and have not already booked in a hotel or private Albuerge, you will likely be out of luck.

This day is the single largest major national holiday, religious feast, and all around party. Everyone who is anyone in Spanish politics is usually here. The King of Spain does attend some years. Other times, a senior member of the government stands in for the King.

The ever-popular, world class fireworks and laser light show are at midnight on 24 July, to celebrate the Feast of Santiago, who is also the patron Saint of Spain, and of Galicia. Typically the several days bracketing the holiday see a couple of a MILLION people visiting the city. Pilgrims are a very small percentage of the overall party goers for those days, and have to compete for bed space.

So, if you plan to come to Santiago then, PLEASE make a reservation. The Pilgrim Office has no rooms and cannot make reservations for you.

I have worked at the Pilgrim Office, this time each summer for five years. So, I have been there and seen that. I am planning to do be working again this coming July.

Hope this helps.
Sounds amazing! I've booked for Santiago, and maybe I will consider booking ahead when I get near Sarria. i hear beds are hard to find! Hopefully, I will have figured out a system on the way from St. Jean, but as for now, I'm booked at St. Jean, and Santiago. The rest is in God's hands?!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I will be entering SdC on 30th July, maybe 1st August. Should I really go for a reservation?

TiA

Buen Camino!
Roland
Yes, I would try and book some place. I always book ahead in Santiago, in Summer, it is very busy. I don’t know about albergues but try Hostal Hortas or Hospederia San Martin Pinario. (Ask for their pilgrim rooms).

I went through booking.com and reserved a bed for three nights (24th through 27th). Not sure what my schedule will be, but most likely I'll arrive by the 24th or 25th. Either way, if I know I won't make it, I'll cancel a night (or two). Should be interesting to be in SdC on the 25th (completely unplanned on my part).

TiA

Buen Camino!
Roland

Short answer YES! If anyone plans on finishing a Camino at Santiago any time from 1 June to 30 September they are STRONGLY advised to book a reservation in advance.

I am working at the Pilgrim Office now, in early May. Already there are accounts of walk-ins having difficulties finding rooms without having made reservations.

I realized and have experienced Caminos where I arrived early or late. However, if I acted to change the reservation at the moment I knew my plans were changing, I usually managed to work something out with the destination property.

There is NO need to panic. But there is good reason to think ahead, and plan accordingly.

Good luck.

Hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sounds amazing! I've booked for Santiago, and maybe I will consider booking ahead when I get near Sarria. i hear beds are hard to find! Hopefully, I will have figured out a system on the way from St. Jean, but as for now, I'm booked at St. Jean, and Santiago. The rest is in God's hands?!

That is a very good approach IMHO. You will learn when DMD where it is advisable to try to reserve ahead.

I realize that, for some, this is diminishing the experience. But for me, the drama of finding “no room at the inn,” is not something I like to contemplate.

If in doubt, book ahead. If you book ahead, either show up, or inform the property via e-mail that you are canceling.

NEVER be a “no show.” It is rude and keeps tour room from another needy pilgrim.

Hope this helps.

Instead of strictly following the Brierely stages, seriously consider staying at the last albergue BEFORE entering the recommended stopping place, OR the first place, coming out from the recommended stopping place. Very often, these accommodations are overlooked and will have space available.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I am trying to book a few failsafes for my hopeful Jun/Jul Camino, ending in Santiago on feast day Jul 25. I expect crowds. But esp around Deba, am unable to reserve anything right now, checked airbnb, Gronze and booking.com. Is this normal? Thinking I should bring a bivvy sac incase I have to sleep outdoors. Hoping there are alot more options once I start walking, than what I find online?

Try Agroturisimo Donibane in Itziar, just before Deba. Great farmhouse there, good accomodations and the owner is over the top friendly....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks. I am trying to book a few fail safes for my hopeful Jun/Jul Camino, ending in Santiago on feast day Jul 25. I expect crowds. But esp around Deba, am unable to reserve anything right now, checked airbnb, Gronze and booking.com. Is this normal?
Uh, no, it is not normal.
Hoping there are a lot more options once I start walking
It is great to be researching the towns, likely stopping points, existing accommodations, studying the route on Google maps, etc. However, I would not be making any reservations until at least April (for a June start). It seems unlikely that we will have any clear idea at all, for many months, of what the walking and lodging logistics will be for next summer.

Try Agroturisimo Donibane in Itziar, just before Deba. Great farmhouse there, good accomodations and the owner is over the top friendly....
Thank you. Unfortunately there was only availability for $186 a night. Is this a standard rate? It will make for a very expensive Camino!

Uh, no, it is not normal.

It is great to be researching the towns, likely stopping points, existing accommodations, studying the route on Google maps, etc. However, I would not be making any reservations until at least April (for a June start). It seems unlikely that we will have any clear idea at all, for many months, of what the walking and lodging logistics will be for next summer.
Tku

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes it is a jubilee year in 2021 for patron St James, so I fear it is even more competitive than normal, and they probably have to make up for lost time from the covid. I am taking a bivvy sac And will sleep under a tree if I need to... God will provide. Cannot afford $200 a night for 30 nights 😉

I would have to agree with your assessment. I just looked up my cost for this location on my credit card statement and found I paid $53 for one night AND dinner. A bivy would probably be a good idea... Good luck !

Thank you. Unfortunately there was only availability for $186 a night. Is this a standard rate? It will make for a very expensive Camino!
Dunno where you're looking but €45 seems closer to the going rate https://doniolaizola.wixsite.com/ingles/roomsrates . That said trying to book for 2021 in the middle of a global pandemic that is screwing over even the best of governments seems, to me, like an especial exercise in futility. If we get to 2021 with some mobility then try again - and avoid (like the plague ;)) any website that depends on, by then, superseded algorithms, historic bookings that have no history in the new world and creaming 10% off the top of someone you could have just telephoned

That said trying to book for 2021 in the middle of a global pandemic that is screwing over even the best of governments seems, to me, like an especial exercise in futility.

Don't make yourself crazy. Follow @C clearly's advice. Research, but don't think about booking until at least March or April.

Nonsense! Do take a bivy , but I , along with friends have found places where we each found a single room each for €20 and they had a fully functional kitchen with an honesty bar in the fridge - red wine €2 per bottle. I was rather envious of friends that took a midweek special at a small villa with a beautiful pool - some took a taxi to buy supplies. As soon as one puts ones head down and slogs for days on end repeating 'I MUST I must ........... That's when you will pay your €100 per night?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes it is a jubilee year in 2021 for patron St James, so I fear it is even more competitive than normal,
Are you really planning on the basis of the hoards of pilgrims that might have come, if it were not for the huge matter of an ongoing pandemic? Any statistics and trends of the past are totally irrelevant. Even in a busy year at peak season, reservations would be possible just a week or two prior to your arrival!

Just sleep outside with an inflatable mattress, a sleeping bag, and a traditional big black woollen Pilgrim's cape to keep you warm -- that's what I do.

Having to sleep in pens, barns, stables made for animals can happen from time to time, though not really on the Francès, at least not since the mid-90s when some Refugios were still converted establishments of that type, but even so it's quite unusual.

Better a dark but comfortable spot a little way off from the trail, unless it's raining too much for it in which case look for somewhere covered and yet preferably secluded in the pueblo. And you never know -- spontaneous villager hospitaleros do appear from time to time as Camino Angels

Just another opinion to confuse the issue............................Since it is going to be a busy year, make the reservations as long as they are refundable. Nothing to lose by doing it this way and you would be secured a place to stay...........Now I know you are completely confused....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just another opinion to confuse the issue............................Since it is going to be a busy year, make the reservations as long as they are refundable. Nothing to lose by doing it this way and you would be secured a place to stay...........Now I know you are completely confused....
Whether or not it will be a busy year is anyone's guess. It all depends on what happens with Covid.

Yes it is a jubilee year in 2021 for patron St James, so I fear it is even more competitive than normal, and they probably have to make up for lost time from the covid. I am taking a bivvy sac And will sleep under a tree if I need to... God will provide. Cannot afford $200 a night for 30 nights 😉

Under 'normal' circumstances it can be fun to start planning many months ahead of your planned Camino.

Places you might like to stay, things to see. It's all part of the joy of planning.

But to book so far ahead, even under 'normal' circumstances, would be unusual, as prices and availability fluctuate so much, and many places only make beds 'available' to aggregation sites like 'Booking dot com', a couple of weeks ahead. So 'normally' 3-4 weeks ahead would be ample if you wanted to book ahead.

Now fold in the abnormal.........

Next year is a Holy Year, and who knows yet what will happen. There is talk of it being extended, so that might smooth out the large peak in Pilgrim numbers.

The big unknown of course is the Pandemic. Many accommodations are closed and therefore won't even be showing as having availability online. They don't know if they will be able to open or if they will still even be in business.

IMHO, by all means plan, it's fun. But I think to even consider booking anything at this stage would be rather pointless, hugely expensive (as fewer places are open), and will only end in dissappointment as the circumstances change and you have to unravel what you booked. The game will all change again next week.... it's a fluid situation.

Who knows what may transpire? We may have 3rd waves, 4th waves. There is talk of a vaccine when it comes, as probably only being 50% effective due to the necessary urgency of the development process. And many forecasts are saying we might get a vaccine by mid 2021 if we are lucky.

Put all that into the mixing pot, and I would think the thing we need most right now is faith and patience :rolleyes:

I am dearly awaiting the chance to walk my 4th Camino, a mere Newbie compared to many here!

I hope to walk the VdlP. In 2022.
I had planned to skip the crowds of 2021 anyway.
But who knows, 2021 might be impacted and 2022 becomes the extended Holy year.
Maybe the vaccines or other measures aren't that effective even by then?

Too many maybes sadly.

So I'll keep my fingers crossed for 2022 and that prevailing conditions and health will allow me to go.

I'm doing lots of planning, dreaming, reading other Pilgrims accounts. Keeping my plans 'alive'.

But I also know, that for whatever reason. my 2022 VdlP, might end up being 2023, 2024......

I'll just wait patiently, and if I am meant to go, I'll be ready when the time comes.

Buen Camino and happy planning :)

Under 'normal' circumstances it can be fun to start planning many months ahead of your planned Camino.

Places you might like to stay, things to see. It's all part of the joy of planning.

But to book so far ahead, even under 'normal' circumstances, would be unusual, as prices and availability fluctuate so much, and many places only make beds 'available' to aggregation sites like 'Booking dot com', a couple of weeks ahead. So 'normally' 3-4 weeks ahead would be ample if you wanted to book ahead.

Next year is a Holy Year, and who knows yet what will happen. There is talk of it being extended, so that might smooth out the large peak in Pilgrim numbers.

The big unknown of course is the Pandemic. Many accommodations are closed and therefore won't even be showing as having availability online. They don't know if they will be able to open or if they will still even be in business.

IMHO, by all means plan, it's fun. But I think to even consider booking anything at this stage would be rather pointless, hugely expensive (as fewer places are open), and will only end in dissappointment as the circumstances change and you have to unravel what you booked. The game will all change again next week.... it's a fluid situation.

Who knows what may transpire? We may have 3rd waves, 4th waves. There is talk of a vaccine when it comes, as probably only being 50% effective due to the necessary urgency of the development process. And many forecasts are saying we might get a vaccine by mid 2021 if we are lucky.

Put all that into the mixing pot, and I would think the thing we need most right now is faith and patience :rolleyes:

I am dearly awaiting the chance to walk my 4th Camino, a mere Newbie compared to many here!

Too many maybes sadly.

So I'll keep my fingers crossed for 2022 and that prevailing conditions and health will allow me to go.

I'm doing lots of planning, dreaming, reading other Pilgrims accounts. Keeping my plans 'alive'.

But I also know, that for whatever reason. my 2022 VdlP, might end up being 2023, 2024......

I'll just wait patiently, and if I am meant to go, I'll be ready when the time comes.

Thanks for your insight, it is greatly appreciated. But I think I have nothing to lose as no one is charging upfront [except for major hotels and airbnb] and there is free cancellation almost until the date. No time like the present, so I will keep on planning! :) And have my bivvy sac ready to go in case, I love camping anyway! No debbie downer here, always thinking positively and am sure it will all work out! As a physician, I have a healthy respect for COVID...but as a Christian, I also have faith that God will take me in his own time, his own way and there is nothing I can do to prevent that. So carry on!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just sleep outside with an inflatable mattress, a sleeping bag, and a traditional big black woollen Pilgrim's cape to keep you warm -- that's what I do.

Having to sleep in pens, barns, stables made for animals can happen from time to time, though not really on the Francès, at least not since the mid-90s when some Refugios were still converted establishments of that type, but even so it's quite unusual.

Better a dark but comfortable spot a little way off from the trail, unless it's raining too much for it in which case look for somewhere covered and yet preferably secluded in the pueblo. And you never know -- spontaneous villager hospitaleros do appear from time to time as Camino Angels
Awesome, I have been waiting for a fellow camper to tell me this is possible and occurs...no problem here finding a nice soft spot under a tree. It would be a welcome change from Colorado where I cannot due to cougars and bears :)

Awesome, I have been waiting for a fellow camper to tell me this is possible and occurs...no problem here finding a nice soft spot under a tree. It would be a welcome change from Colorado where I cannot due to cougars and bears :)

You just have to watch out in Galicia for the Hoop Snakes. They make their homes in the Eucalyptus Trees. :oops:

But I see you have them in the US too.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I was looking to pre-book for a planned trip to Europe last summer, I found that many of the reservations systems used by hotels/hostels didn't allow booking too far in advance. For the next few months they showed more or less availability depending on the day. But when you were too far out they just showed nothing available. I was told that some places don't put up their availability so far in advance. Some of that may be happening for you if you are booking for next summer.

Last edited:

Too many maybes sadly.

Wise & experienced words, worthy of paying attention to.

Since it is a Holy Year next year (and possibly 2022 too), I will be heading for VdlP. Less traffic. Maybe spring or autumn 2021 (too hot down south in summer) but since my "home boss" wants us to spend 2 months in Crete (Greece) ASAP ( 😏 ) it may be 2022. Those who live will see. For now, planning/thinking, but not booking.

It is what it is, as some guy said...

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back