• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No room in the inn? - Coping strategies

gtweath

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hello all,
I am planning a trip on the Frances next year and am seeing all the posts about how crowded it is this year and so many advocating advance booking of beds. I am hoping to travel with much more freedom and not knowing where I will be staying more than a day in advance so I am pondering this potential pitfall. The question I have is what do you do if you arrive at a village and there are no accommodations and getting to the next village is not possible in a timely manner? What would the ramifications be if one were to sleep on a park bench or something along those lines?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What I would do if I arrived in a village where I intended to sleep only to find that there is no accommodation:
  • call ahead to the next village and see if there is accommodation available there
    • if there is, see if I can reserve it and decide whether to walk or take a taxi
    • if there is not, call back to the previous village and see if there is accommodation available
      • If there is, reserve and call a taxi to take me back (and return me the next morning)
  • if that doesn't work, or as an alternative, see if the hospitalero/a at the full albergue can suggest alternatives
  • if that doesn't work or as an alternative, head into the local bar and see if someone there can help me find something (this requires some Spanish - if you don't have it, perhaps a fellow pilgrim can be persuaded to help)
  • all of these are likely to result in something better than a park bench, which may not be available in a small village
Of course, if you are planning a trip for next year, you can look at some strategies to prevent the situation from arising in the first place:
  • If you are heading out from SJPP, Roncesvalles, Pamplona, or somewhere else before Sarria, start your pilgrimage in a month other than May or September
  • Look at the most popular guide books (like Brierley) and choose your stopping village somewhere between the stage endings you see in the guide book
  • If those are not sufficient (but they will most probably be), leave early and get to an albergue that doesn't accept reservations before it is full.

Hello all,
I am planning a trip on the Frances next year and am seeing all the posts about how crowded it is this year and so many advocating advance booking of beds. I am hoping to travel with much more freedom and not knowing where I will be staying more than a day in advance so I am pondering this potential pitfall. The question I have is what do you do if you arrive at a village and there are no accommodations and getting to the next village is not possible in a timely manner? What would the ramifications be if one were to sleep on a park bench or something along those lines?
When are you planning your Camino and which route?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have occasionally slept outdoors on a Camino. Through choice and for convenience rather than because of a bed shortage. I always carry a lightweight bivvy bag to give myself that option. If I did find myself forced to sleep outdoors - which is fairly unlikely anyway - then I would much rather find a remote concealed spot in the countryside than a park bench or a church porch in a town or village unless I had company for the night who I trusted.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
For me, the easiest solution is not to arrive in a village with no beds left. Sounds funny, but it usually works.

How to achieve that? That's what I do:

a) Walk distances that allow me to still continue a bit further if necessary (I want to be able to add another 5-10km at the end of the day). So should there not be a bed in the town I wanted to stop in, I can still walk to the next one.

Since that's not always possible, other solutions are:

b) Stop midday or for a second breakfast in a town with a walk-in or "no reservations possible" albergue with high capacity / lots of accommodation. Ask myself, do I want to walk further today, or do I need a half/short/rest day? If I'm very tired I can just check into the albergue (first come - first served, so no problem if I arrive early). If I want to continue and walk a longer day,

c) Check that the next town is still within my preferred walking distance and that there are several albergues there, so that the likeliness of getting a bed there is high.

d) Check if shortly after that town (<5km), there's another albergue, just in case, or

e) If I want to be absolutely sure to have a bed in the village I intent to walk to, call and ask how busy they are and if possible make a reservation. This is a good solution especially if you want to walk a very long day and arrive late, if you know you'll be too exhausted to walk further to the next albergue/village, or if the village where you want to stop has only few beds and the next place is far away.

f) If all fails, walk into a bar, have a nice drink, find out where the next place with a bed is, and get a taxi there.

g) Sometimes when talking to the locals or hospitaleros of the places that are 'completo', beds suddenly appear from nowhere ;-)

h) bring a light foam mat and a decent sleeping bag. If there's only room on the floor of a sports gym or fire station or in the albergue garden / on their terrace ect., that will be helpful. Add a tarp or tent and you also have campsites as extra option for accommodation (there are a few official ones, with warm showers and all).

That has always worked for me so far.

There's lot of panic regarding beds. Personally I've always found place to sleep so far, and most of the time I do not make reservations.

Unpopular opinion, but for me it's mostly online hysteria, mainly created by people looking for bookable private rooms, places that will accept luggage service, people who are set on staying in a certain town/place, walking until exhaustion to places that are known to have a limited number of beds without plan b), ect.

Many will disagree with that statement, but after four times walking the Francés with not really witnessing the famous bed race, and more often than not finding a bed in the first albergue I walk into, I start to believe it's mainly a myth ;-)

I haven't walked in september so far, though, I have to say. Maybe that's the secret!

Overall, if you don't walk in april/may, and not in september, if you're fine with dormitorios or a mattress on the floor, you'll most likely have good chances of always finding a place to sleep without too much stress. June is a nice month to start walking for example.

I've had to sleep outside of an albergue once, but that was not because there were no beds. I'd found a sick kitten and most places would not let me in because of that. So that doesn't count, I'd say! I still was allowed by the owner of the albergue to put up my tent in the garden or sleep on the bench in front of the albergue, and had a nice dinner at that place. So it was still a good experience!

So. Keep in mind that sometimes you might need plan b-h) to find a bed, but usually there is one, and no need to panic. No need to run, no need to be afraid.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What I would do if I arrived in a village where I intended to sleep only to find that there is no accommodation:
  • call ahead to the next village and see if there is accommodation available there
    • if there is, see if I can reserve it and decide whether to walk or take a taxi
    • if there is not, call back to the previous village and see if there is accommodation available
      • If there is, reserve and call a taxi to take me back (and return me the next morning)
  • if that doesn't work, or as an alternative, see if the hospitalero/a at the full albergue can suggest alternatives
  • if that doesn't work or as an alternative, head into the local bar and see if someone there can help me find something (this requires some Spanish - if you don't have it, perhaps a fellow pilgrim can be persuaded to help)
  • all of these are likely to result in something better than a park bench, which may not be available in a small village
Of course, if you are planning a trip for next year, you can look at some strategies to prevent the situation from arising in the first place:
  • If you are heading out from SJPP, Roncesvalles, Pamplona, or somewhere else before Sarria, start your pilgrimage in a month other than May or September
  • Look at the most popular guide books (like Brierley) and choose your stopping village somewhere between the stage endings you see in the guide book
  • If those are not sufficient (but they will most probably be), leave early and get to an albergue that doesn't accept reservations before it is full.
excellent advice

For me, the easiest solution is not to arrive in a village with no beds left. Sounds funny, but it usually works.

How to achieve that? That's what I do:

a) Walk distances that allow me to still continue a bit further if necessary (I want to be able to add another 5-10km at the end of the day). So should there not be a bed in the town I wanted to stop in, I can still walk to the next one.

Since that's not always possible, other solutions are:

b) Stop midday or for a second breakfast in a town with a walk-in or "no reservations possible" albergue with high capacity / lots of accommodation. Ask myself, do I want to walk further today, or do I need a half/short/rest day? If I'm very tired I can just check into the albergue (first come - first served, so no problem if I arrive early). If I want to continue and walk a longer day,

c) Check that the next town is still within my preferred walking distance and that there are several albergues there, so that the likeliness of getting a bed there is high.

d) Check if shortly after that town (<5km), there's another albergue, just in case, or

e) If I want to be absolutely sure to have a bed in the village I intent to walk to, call and ask how busy they are and if possible make a reservation. This is a good solution especially if you want to walk a very long day and arrive late, if you know you'll be too exhausted to walk further to the next albergue/village, or if the village where you want to stop has only few beds and the next place is far away.

f) If all fails, walk into a bar, have a nice drink, find out where the next place with a bed is, and get a taxi there.

g) Sometimes when talking to the locals or hospitaleros of the places that are 'completo', beds suddenly appear from nowhere ;-)

h) bring a light foam mat and a decent sleeping bag. If there's only room on the floor of a sports gym or fire station or in the albergue garden / on their terrace ect., that will be helpful. Add a tarp or tent and you also have campsites as extra option for accommodation (there are a few official ones, with warm showers and all).

That has always worked for me so far.

There's lot of panic regarding beds. Personally I've always found place to sleep so far, and most of the time I do not make reservations.

Unpopular opinion, but for me it's mostly online hysteria, mainly created by people looking for bookable private rooms, places that will accept luggage service, people who are set on staying in a certain town/place, walking until exhaustion to places that are known to have a limited number of beds without plan b), ect.

Many will disagree with that statement, but after four times walking the Francés with not really witnessing the famous bed race, and more often than not finding a bed in the first albergue I walk into, I start to believe it's mainly a myth ;-)

I haven't walked in september so far, though, I have to say. Maybe that's the secret!

Overall, if you don't walk in april/may, and not in september, if you're fine with dormitorios or a mattress on the floor, you'll most likely have good chances of always finding a place to sleep without too much stress. June is a nice month to start walking for example.

I've had to sleep outside of an albergue once, but that was not because there were no beds. I'd found a sick kitten and most places would not let me in because of that. So that doesn't count, I'd say! I still was allowed by the owner of the albergue to put up my tent in the garden or sleep on the bench in front of the albergue, and had a nice dinner at that place. So it was still a good experience!

So. Keep in mind that sometimes you might need plan b-h) to find a bed, but usually there is one, and no need to panic. No need to run, no need to be afraid.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!
good advice, thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello all,
Go to nearest police station and they will help u find a bed...

I'm in logrono, and have some issues that made me modify my plans. I planned from Somport to Logrono to the nth degree. I was going to continue on the Sanabres, but that's not possible anymore because of my issues.

So I decided to continue to Burgos in short stages. Today, I booked 6 nights by calling by phone. Some places didn't have availability on Booking but had rooms when I called .

There ARE beds available. You may have to pay more, but if you are concerned, plan a day or two ahead.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maybe consider if you can arrange not walk in early May? Many tight accomodations are made more tight by holiday weekends when the Spanish people also want to get out and see their beautiful country, too. There are places between SJPDP and Pamplona that don't take reservations and you can see which ones those are on Gronze.com. Also think about trying to start on a weekday instead of a weekend.

I have also walked the Frances four times. And quite a lot of other Caminos and pilgrim routes in other countries too. I have yet to encounter bed bugs on any pilgrim path. That does not mean that they are a myth - it just means that I have been very fortunate in my choice of time and place. A good friend is walking a Camino at the moment covered in itchy lumps after meeting the nasty little buggers. I would hesitate to dismiss someone else's experience on the Camino as a myth just because I have not found the same thing on my own travels.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For me - if I KNOW the next town is going to be crowded, I might book a bed the night before, in the morning, or elsewhere along the way. Or if I have decided to go a much longer distance that day (double stage or something like that) I will do the same because I don't want to do a double distance day and not have abed.

Otherwise, I tend to start walking early in the morning, so I tend to arrive early in the afternoon. With that - I am rarely without a bed at the first place I try.

But if I am - I will just look at an app and see what is nearby and check that place. Or even check a few places. If the next town isn't too far - I will walk to the next town.

Sometimes the albergue hosts know who has open beds, so you can ask them. If you are struggling to find a bed, you can call the next town to see if they have beds and if they will hold one for you. If there is a tourist office, you can also ask them for assistance.

But I usually find that even if the albergue beds are full - there are usually private rooms - so if I am tired, I will get a private room (and a good night sleep as a bonus).

Worst case scenario - you can taxi to a nearby accommodation in another town if needed.

You don't "HAVE TO" sleep outside if you can't find a bed, unless are unwilling to taxi somewhere.

Honestly though - I wouldn't stress too much about it. Most of the time, it all works out.

Hello all,

Get your accommodation in order for the first week.
Stop worrying
After 7 days you will know what's it all about .
Have a great Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.