• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

no room in the inn?

tjm

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2006; Aug-Sept 2014
I am planning to walk the camino in May-June. I have just read the post of Peter Robins on SJPdP stats for last year. I quick review seems to indicate that more people start (about a thousand/ week) in mid May than cound find beds along the way in Rouncevalles or many other places along the route. I assume the problem is even worse in Galcia.

I have considered the vdp (but the stages seem too long for me) and after reading about the camino frances, I am commited to this route.

Does anyone have information about how refugio's deal with overflows? What is the experience of recent pilgrims, with overcrowding? I decided not to take a tent and mat as excess baggage; should I reconsider?

FYI, I am a 50+ male, traveling alone. I can deal with sleeping on the floor (esp. if I bring a mat), but if I am going to be sleeping in doorways, I would like to know in advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
May Pilgrim

Hello dear pilgrim,
I have walked two Caminos in May/June. In 2002 we were never turned away from an albergue and only slept on the floor twice. In 2004 - a Holy Year - we found a bed in St Jean, Roncesvalles and also every night in Galicia. It was busy but surprisingly not overcrowded. A camp mat is a good idea. If things are really bad, you could go to a Posada/Inn/Hostal/Hotel/Pension etc - they can be found in most towns along the route.
Buen Camino,

Tom,

if you make your daily trips NOT the standard etappes which are mentioned in the several guides, you will not have a problem!

Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, I have to agree - where all the people go is a bit of a mystery. In the busiest month last year (August), some 800 people a day claimed a compostela; even in May it was some 300 a day. Even allowing for the fact that people walk/cycle different km every day and so need accommodation in different places, the available accommodation is nothing like that much. I do not hear large nos of complaints from people forced to sleep outside, so can only assume the figures are distorted by the large groups, who may well make other arrangements for accommodation, for example, a large group of Galicians in Galicia may well go home every night.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Tom

I walked by myself in September 2006 and didn't expect to have problems finding a bed but missed out on a few occasions. Not a problem - once I was forced to find a pension (thought I would enjoy this but unbelievably I missed the snoring!) and once I slept outside but under cover in the grounds of the refugio but usually no beds meant that mattresses were spread around the floor. Just as comfortable as a bed but not so good if you are in the area where the 5.00am walkers are getting ready!

Unfortunately the times you are more likely to have problems are the days where you feel so fantastic that you keep walking, and walking, and walking so turn up later than everyone else but you very quickly learn to trust that everything will be fine and you stop worrying about whether there'll be a bed when you arrive.

Julie

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back