• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No "roughing it"

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
"Better still, they whisked us through the less interesting sections by minibus" -- no comment from me, either, other than "LOLOLOLOL!"

A friend just emailed to say it's just a 25 minute car drive from Biarritz to SJPP . . glad I stopped reading when I did, perhaps that was one of the less interesting sections?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How does:
"The trip combines boutique hotels, quality restaurants... whisked us ... by minibus and carried our luggage from place to place."

Square with the decreasing budget she mentioned in her first paragraph? That doesn't sound cheap to me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think it might be a good idea to read to the end of the article which puts it in context when it says "I am determined to walk it “properly” one day, and now I will know how, all thanks to my “pilgrimage lite”.

I think it might be a good idea to read to the end of the article which puts it in context when it says "I am determined to walk it “properly” one day, and now I will know how, all thanks to my “pilgrimage lite”.

>>a Dutch lady I met at the lovely sandstone village of Castrojeriz. We climbed up to the Sierra del Perdón on a 1,039m-high ridge

Well, I hope that next time she doesn't walk in reverse :rolleyes:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will forgive you people the mistake of ridiculing the poor woman for making a few mistakes. :):)
Apparently an "expert travel writer" and "an authority on and author of a best selling guide book to Bratislava" so she really shouldn't be making "a few mistakes" should she?

What I wonder is why she oicked up a credencial if she had no intention of walking the last 100 into Santiago.

And she definitely got this part wrong
"Pilgrims must prove they’ve walked at least 100km to qualify for the Compostela certificate on arriving at Santiago."
I don't see what is wrong with that statement... it may not be complete, but it is not wrong. Or do I need a second cafe con leche? It is Saturday after all, an extra jolt would be ok. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For a minute I thought I was at the Trevi Fountain in Rome when she said it is traditional to toss a stone backwards over one's head at the Cruz de Ferro. Maybe if you do that it will ensure that you will return again (and hire the same tour company, no doubt). ;)

As usual your comments have made me laugh.
I just thought it was me that read that this writer had time travelled or looked at the view via google maps.

I don't see what is wrong with that statement... it may not be complete, but it is not wrong. Or do I need a second cafe con leche? It is Saturday after all, an extra jolt would be ok. :)
If those 100 km aren't the last 100 km to Santiago, one doesn't qualify for a Compostela. The article implies that you could choose ten 10 km sections anywhere on the Camino and still earn a Compostela.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If those 100 km aren't the last 100 km to Santiago, one doesn't qualify for a Compostela. The article implies that you could choose ten 10 km sections anywhere on the Camino and still earn a Compostela.

And, that implication via Shirley Maclaine's book, can't blame her for not doing my own research, is why I arrived in Santiago on September 3, 2001 and was refused a Compostela. Started in Roncesvalles that first time and skipped last 100kms due to time constraints. Ended up changing flight plans, taking train to Sarria, walking back to Santiago, and receiving Compostela on Sep 9, 2001.

Last edited:
I will forgive you people the mistake of ridiculing the poor woman for making a few mistakes. :):)
I think her big mistake was choosing to write a thinly researched piece about the Camino, which is so deeply known and loved. No harm meant surely, but an indication of how things are changing and becoming less an individual odyssey

For a minute I thought I was at the Trevi Fountain in Rome when she said it is traditional to toss a stone backwards over one's head at the Cruz de Ferro. Maybe if you do that it will ensure that you will return again (and hire the same tour company, no doubt). ;)
Throw a stone backwards at Cruz de Ferro and you'll probably hit a party of busogrinos posing by the foot of the cross.
I place mine with due reverence.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"Dublin-based travel agency XYZ offered me a way to discover the famous walk without having to rough it."

Paid advertisement/product placement? BC SY

Paid advertisement/product placement? BC SY

There have been at least three similar articles on UK news websites in just over a month - in Metro, the Independent and the Sun. There may well have been others. Those I saw all prominently named the travel companies involved - two of them naming the same company. I wonder if that is simply coincidence or the result of a focussed marketing campaign.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Reading a BTL comment on an article in the UK Guardian I noticed this:

When a journalist writes about a subject with which one has a working knowledge, it often a very disappointing experience. Are they this wrong about everything else?

and thought it very appropriate to "Roughing It".

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.