• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No SIM Card

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hello!

I just left Burgos where I went to Vodafone, Orange, and Moviestar looking for a SIM card do I could call to the US, but none of them had one. Last year, in Pamplona, I had no problem. Does anyone know where I can find a SIM card with International calling? I am 5 days from León.

Thanks for any assistance!

Warmly,

Barry

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How odd. Did they say why they had none? I can’t answer your question but maybe you can just use free internet to email home?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would be very surprised to find that it was not possible to call the USA from the prepaid SIM of any of the main networks. I have never come across one which did not allow international calls. But you may find that the per minute rates are prohibitively expensive and it might be better to use a VOIP system like Skype unless you really need a mobile voice service 24/7.

Edit. I've just looked at Vodafone's website and seen a prepaid mobile tariff offering 800 minutes of international calls (including to the USA) and a substantial data allowance valid for four weeks for 15 euro. Would that suit your purposes? The "Mi Pais" tariff.

Last edited:
Hello!

I just left Burgos where I went to Vodafone, Orange, and Moviestar looking for a SIM card do I could call to the US, but none of them had one. Last year, in Pamplona, I had no problem. Does anyone know where I can find a SIM card with International calling? I am 5 days from León.

Thanks for any assistance!

Warmly,

Barry
I know that my question won't help Barry, but is it possible to purchase a SIM in France before starting the Camino Frances?

I'll be flying into Paris, before heading to SJPP, and was hoping to get a SIM at CDG Airport that I can use in Spain.

I know that my question won't help Barry, but is it possible to purchase a SIM in France before starting the Camino Frances?
That is certainly possible. EU rules on roaming fees mean that you will be charged the same rates - set by the French network - in both France and Spain. One possible complication is adding credit to the account while in Spain. Worth making sure that you have loaded it with enough credit for your whole journey or checking that it is possible to pay for more online as buying a credit voucher from a bricks-and-mortar store probably will not be possible.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is certainly possible. EU rules on roaming fees mean that you will be charged the same rates - set by the French network - in both France and Spain. One possible complication is adding credit to the account while in Spain. Worth making sure that you have loaded it with enough credit for your whole journey or checking that it is possible to pay for more online as buying a credit voucher from a bricks-and-mortar store probably will not be possible.
Thanks @Bradypus :) Any recommendations on a good network provider?

Thanks @Bradypus :) Any recommendations on a good network provider?
Been a while since I used a French SIM. When I did I used Orange. As a Brit I can use my normal prepaid SIM from Three when in France, Spain and many other countries on my home rates. Very convenient. Better to get recommendations from someone with more recent experience I think.

I saw the Mi Pais SIM, but they said no international calling. Very strange. Maybe it’s a Burgos thing. I’ll try again in Leon. I am using Skype & that works fine, so I guess I’ll just be happy with that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.