• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No Sleeping Bag, Winter Camino Frances

ebhcphoto

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting Jan. 25th from SJPDP
Hi All!

Thinking about all the questions I had before I did my camino (Pamplona - Muxia/Finnesterre, 1/25-3/3). I wanted to pack light, and a sleeping bag just seemed like too much bulk. Mostly everywhere I read said to bring one, or at least a silk liner.

I decided not to. Happy to report you ~can~ do a winter camino without a sleeping bag.

Some considerations:

1) I’m 28, no camping experience, first camino
2) This past Jan/Feb 2023 seemed pretty mild (coldest nights were -5ish C, probably averaged around 0C.
3) I slept in the most affordable albergues. Every one gave a top sheet and a pillow case. Maybe 50% of them had blankets. I cannot explain how wonderful it was to find/be offered a blanket. It’s a feeling of gratitude and humility that was unmatched.
4) I had a quick dry towel that I used as a blanket on other nights
5) I slept in at least a long sleeve, sometimes with a jacket, sometimes with all my clothes
6) Most albergues seemed to turn the heat off at bedtime. So you’d go to be warm and the wake up was often frigid, but doable
7) I had an “okay, but is it going to kill me?” mentality
8) Having a small backpack (14”, 18”, 8”) was wonderful

If you have any questions, let me know!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
) Most albergues seemed to turn the heat off at bedtime. So you’d go to be warm and the wake up was often frigid, but doable
7) I had an “okay, but is it going to kill me?” mentality
I also walked the Camino Frances in January this year - setting off from SJPDP on 2 January. Unlike you I took a down winter weight sleeping bag and I am glad that I did. I'm fairly sure that I would have survived like you did travelling without it but I found the comfort it gave me was well worth the weight and bulk. I've never felt inclined to trade the risk of cold nights and disturbed sleep for a tiny pack. If I can carry it comfortably for 42km then I think it is probably not oversized for me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is something very comforting in slipping into your own bag and liner every night. That way you know that you are within your own "dirt" and not directly exposed to what others may have left. When I walked in winter I always carried a lightweight sleeping bag and liner.

Glad you had a good experience. I couldn’t do it. I sent my sleeping bag home from Pamplona after a few very warm days in June 2021. Then weather became unseasonably cold and I was cold and miserable most nights for the rest of the way until I reached Finisterre - where it finally warmed up. Yes, I slept in my clothes and down jacket with wool pullover and used my Turkish towel as a blanket. Even bought another fleece and was still cold. Going forward I will carry the lightest down sleeping bag possible always - because after walking all morning, a good nights sleep is worth the extra 350-500 grams weight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.