• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No, this is no mistake, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Christmas again in Jerusalem, the Armenians are in the middle of their Christmas celebrations, a week long affair. The important mass falls on January 25. Ah...Scruff...this is a forum for Santiago and Saint James remember? The Armenian Cathedral in Jerusalem of Saint James is founded on one of the places in Jerusalem where James, son of Zebedee, was executed and became Saint James. The Armenians have a shrine above the crypt where they believe may be found the head of Saint James. Above the entrance door is a painting recalling the Sindone di Torino, (Turin Shroud) portraying this said head of Saint James. Many Jerusalem Armenians have walked to Santiago, they recognize anyone bearing a shell who enters their site as a pilgrim. I will be attending the mass, quite a medieval affair very very impressive and very different from any mass you have ever witnessed, Latin or Greek. The Armenians are very very strict and will not allow photography within the cathedral during mass but I will try and take some pictures as we enter and as we leave. Watch this Space!
One photo from my first visit years ago back when I didn't know any better and an indignant priest came and shut me down
travel_armenianchurch.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So does that mean the the body of st James in santiago is headless!!! Does anybody know if there are any other sites where parts of st James are..... Now that would be a long Camino route between them all. Merry Christmas!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@simeon I try not to question too deeply about the authenticity of relics. There was a huge medieval market in fakes! Especially relics of Jesus which were in short supply because he ascended bodily into heaven. So at one time there were perhaps a dozen or more foreskins of Jesus in circulation :) There is also the apocryphal story of one relic merchant who tried to sell the same buyer the skull of John the Baptist twice: when challenged he argued that one was from John as an adult, the other when he was a boy... :)

Merry Christmas! Hope you have a wounderful time in Jerusalem. Enjoy the mass! :)

So does that mean the the body of st James in santiago is headless!!! Does anybody know if there are any other sites where parts of st James are..... Now that would be a long Camino route between them all. Merry Christmas!!!
I read somewhere a list of the number of body parts and where they are supposed to be. You do end up with what would,have been a very funnu looking human being: 7 arms, 2 heads, etc. And let's not forget that just about every history book, or even Camino guide, puts in question the veracity of the bones of St-James having been those at the cathedral in Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have a wonderful time Scruffy!

I am the last one to question anyone's beliefs I do find this interesting. There is indeed a tradition that some of the relics of the Apostle are kept in the church of St-Saturnin at Toulouse, another which I can remember but cannot pinpoint claims that a reliquary containing the forearm is also somewhere in France. There are many interesting works on the subject, "The Cult of the Saints" by Peter Brown and "Furta Sacra" by Patrick J. Geary come easily to mind. Both extremely informative and easily read for anyone interested in pursuing the subject.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
He has two skull relics, one in Toulouse, one in Compostela. Plus apparently this one.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.