• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No tie shoelaces

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Has anyone used these in their shoes/boots? I know that some shoes come with these kinds of laces, such as Salomon. But you can also purchase replacement laces for any type of shoe. Most of the replacement ones that I have seen are elastic like these.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have Salomon shoes with the no-tie laces. At first I was leery of them, but I've grown to quite like them, especially for slipping my shoes on and off around home. My Salomon boots have regular laces - I'm not sure if they come on any boots. It might be more difficult to adjust the tension just right, all the way up the boot.

I have Salomon shoes with the no-tie laces. At first I was leery of them, but I've grown to quite like them, especially for slipping my shoes on and off around home. My Salomon boots have regular laces - I'm not sure if they come on any boots. It might be more difficult to adjust the tension just right, all the way up the boot.
I'm thinking of getting some for my Merrell shoes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I tried them when I bought some Salomons but they didn't work for me as they allowed my heel to keep slipping up. My foot is a bit wide in the fore so the heels need to be lace-locked to keep them down and still. If you have a 'normal' foot maybe you'll be luckier than I was.

Has anyone used these in their shoes/boots? I know that some shoes come with these kinds of laces, such as Salomon. But you can also purchase replacement laces for any type of shoe. Most of the replacement ones that I have seen are elastic like [/U].

Hi, yes, I use them. Our outdoor shops sell them and when I buy a new pair of boots I buy some elastic laces as well, replacing the ones in the boots. I love them, but they are not for everyone. You just have to try them out for yourself and see if they work for you. I love being able to kick my boots off at the end of the day, and they are sooooo quick to put on next morning.
Jill

Hi Trecile

I've used both types. The non elastic ones that come with the Salomons
seem to be very durable. You can also buy a replacement / repair kit which
weighs nothing but... complicated. A very nice chap in the shop where I
bought mine from gave me a demo of how to re lace the shoe. I stood next
to him with the expression of a border collie trying to follow a card trick.
I took a repair kit with me and hoped that if I needed to use it I'd somehow
resonate with all the people who could do it and therefore know how to do
it myself.

The elastic type I have in a couple of pairs of trainers that I go out for walk in
at lunchtime. It's possible to get a very secure and yet at the same time forgiving
fit when using them. I'm guessing they work best with soft and flexible footwear ?
Again they're durable. If you like to "tighten your laces when going downhill" then
they may disappoint.

Pax et bonum

I wish this didn't sound like an ad but I have B.O.A. closures on my favorite shoes. They are easy to tighten or loosened. I hope they are available for your shoes or boots........ Ultreya......... Willy/Utah/USA

I tried them when I bought some Salomons but they didn't work for me as they allowed my heel to keep slipping up. My foot is a bit wide in the fore so the heels need to be lace-locked to keep them down and still. If you have a 'normal' foot maybe you'll be luckier than I was.

Same here. I have them on my Keen sandals. They don't work for me going downhill. Replaced them with regular laces and the sandal just doesn't seem to be designed for heel lock and I was in a worse mess. I changed back to the elastic and now use them for running around town, but not for hiking.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My Keen Arroyo II hiking sandals came with speed laces. I HATE them. They worked loose while I was walking and were (for me) just awkward to use.

I have since converted to standard nylon laces. MUCH better, at least IMHO. I can vary the lacing pattern to improve foot support, as well as double-knot them to prevent their undoing along the way.

I hope this helps.

I had the elastic laces on the light-weight running shoes I used on the camino after hiking. They were comfortable there but I wouldn't use them for hiking. My boots have hooks instead of eyelets at the top. I may have only tied my boots a few times in 66 days on the camino. When I got the fit I wanted I left the knot tied and just tugged the loop where the knot was to lace and unlace from the hooks.

My Keen Arroyo II hiking sandals came with speed laces. I HATE them. They worked loose while I was walking and were (for me) just awkward to use.

I have since converted to standard nylon laces. MUCH better, at least IMHO. I can vary the lacing pattern to improve foot support, as well as double-knot them to prevent their undoing along the way.

I hope this helps.

Can you post a pic of your lacing? I wasn't able to make it work with regular laces. i must be missing something.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have no-tie laces on both my Keen sandals and an older pair of Topo trail shoes. They have worked fine for me. This seems to be one of those things that falls into the category of no right or wrong answer - simply what feels right for you.

No tie laces. I have them too - just got them a few weeks ago and I'm addicted. So easy to take off - like slippers. I don't know about replacement laces at this point, just assuming they'll get me through this trip. The laces are quite strong though, and not elastic like bungee cord. Just strong thin cord threaded in a way which pulls to tighten very easily with a plastic clip. Breaking in the shoes (Saloman) now (trail runners). Really comfortable.

upload_2017-2-16_13-33-19.pngHere they are. The lace lock tucks up under the top cover with the "S" on it. It's not elastic - just a strong thin pull cord.

These are my boots, with the original laces replaced by elastic ones. The toggle catches my rain pants quite nicely, so my feet stay dry in rain showers. I have no problem with the boots being too loose, and besides I could just tighten the laces if necessary, but I never need to. But, yes, it’s a personal choice. I was thrilled to bits after trying them out and finding they worked for me. No problem slipping them off at the door and slipping them back on again to go out.
Jill
004.jpg

Of course, you know I have another pair of hiking shoes I'm dying to elasticize. Thanks for the tip!

I bought a pair of Solomon boots with no-tie laces in SJPdP last fall. The boots I had started with in Le Puy had failed, and the Solomon no-ties were the only ones I could find that fit well. I was skeptical, but they worked fine. They do tend to loosen up a bit (increasingly as time goes on) but you can prevent this by twisting the lines as much as you can after tightening the boots and then winding them around the rubber pull piece before tucking them under the flap. This eliminates pretty much all of the slippage but the laces can still be loosened almost instantly, which is great.

I purchased a replacement kit when I got the boots, but I'm not sure I would ever be able to install it if I had to - I've read the instructions a couple of times and it is pretty complicated. Rather than get a replacement kit, I would be sure I had some spare laces thin enough to fit through the sleeves and long enough to lace up.

That said, my no-ties made it from SJPdP to Santiago without any problem; the lines are said to be made of Kevlar and are very strong - I could cinch them up as hard as I wanted.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have the elastic lacing on my Keens. The wide toe box is great, but the heel area is too wide and I can't adjust the laces to keep my feet from sliding forward. Just my funny clown feet.

I have had shoes, Keens and Ecco that came with the bungee type laces. I'm mostly wondering if anyone has retrofitted their shoes with these kinds of laces.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ummm, I think we're chatting about "No tie shoelaces" on this thread :p

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have the
Has anyone used these in their shoes/boots? I know that some shoes come with these kinds of laces, such as Salomon. But you can also purchase replacement laces for any type of shoe. Most of the replacement ones that I have seen are elastic like [/U].
I have Salomon boots with the laces you mentioned, they are great, replacement laces are available from good retailers in Europe, certainly Salomon shops. I have broken one pair only once, was able to do a quite repair job, but now I carry a spare. I also believe they can be purchased online and there is a youtube video on how to replace them.

View attachment 31938 View attachment 31939

See the photos. I hope they uploaded correctly.

Also, I learned the locking lace method from this YouTube video, at:

I hope this helps.

Thank you for posting. I did briefly see one image but by the time I had time to get back and study it, all I can see is writing that says there are two images and the video shows. I do use the creative lacing very similar to yours, but on the arroyo I had something that looked like wings sticking out when I was done. It's a mystery. :)

I am taking very light Hoka trail runners this year for my backup and evening shoes instead of the Keens.

€83,-
I discovered a brand called Extenex that I have used and loved. Hard to explain easily but they have "lumps" in them that allow you to preset the tension in each segment of the lacing. Love them!!!

trecile, you can also purchase Salomon Kevlar replacement lace kits. See here:
https://www.rei.com/product/825246/...4ldWUq3xBy8vQ9dQkF4bINFo0kRVQMOuryxoCy5jw_wcB

Here's a video on replacing them:

Thanks!
I discovered a brand called Extenex that I have used and loved. Hard to explain easily but they have "lumps" in them that allow you to preset the tension in each segment of the lacing. Love them!!!
Those look very interesting. I was wondering with the bungee type laces how you could make part of the shoe tighter and part looser.

BTW, the reason for my question is that I am very lazy, and sometimes the thought of re-tying my laces keeps me from airing out my feet as often as I should. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a pair of Salomon shoes with their Quicklace system, and find it works fine. But on boots I prefer to use two lacing techniques not supported by the simple Quicklace approach. A great resource on lacing methods is Ian's Shoelace Site, and from there you can navigate to the pages on shoelace knots.

I'm wondering if I could just buy a cordlock and thread the existing laces through it? In fact I may even have one around the house to try it out.

I'm wondering if I could just buy a cordlock and thread the existing laces through it? In fact I may even have one around the house to try it out.

Generally, cord locks do not hold the laces as snugly as a proper knot, at least this is my experience. This causes lace "slippage."

I hope this helps.

€83,-
A great option is a newer brand called Laceez - they run by the size and are made for kids and adults. They're great because they look like actual laces - by far the best ones I've seen out there.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.