• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No time to prepare for the camino

Totu

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Norte, Primitivo (2015...2022)
Hi everyone! Walking Camino de Santiago has been one of my dreams, it sounds amazing and the right thing for me in so many ways. Now I will finally have a longer break from work and the first thing I thought was "finally I can do the camino!". Then I started to read this forum and got a bit discouraged, because of all the preparation the people talk about, in terms of training and gear. I am still working now and have almost no free time. I will have a week off before my camino is supposed to start and during this time I need to get all the necessary equipment plus train myself! I do have a backpack, but not even hiking shoes. I love to walk and do it often but I am not in the best physical shape. The big question is: should I postpone the Camino and do it one day when I will have had time to properly prepare for that? Or should I get the best equipment I can, go there and see what happens?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola and welcome.
Many of us can prepare but if you cannot then be sure to start slowly - ie short days/distances and don't walk too fast. Trying to start in SJPP might be foolish and either Roncesvalles or Pamplona would give you time to 'walk yourself in' if walking the Francés. If that means walking just 5kms or so to start with then do so, then increase it daily for the first week. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare...
buen Camino

Get a pair of comfortable trail runners/hiking trainers or similar, something non goretex that requires little breaking in, put only the essentials in your pack (there are lots of good packing lists here) and go. Start slowly, listen to your body and learn from your fellow pilgrims, leave what you don't need and buy any necessities you've forgotten along the way. As long as you don't race, you should be able to avoid damaging yourself from lack of training. My mantra is: Walk, breathe, enjoy. Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Totu, welcome to the forum. You have obviously already found the endless, sometimes passionate, discussions here about the "right" gear, "right" boots, "right" training regime. Discussions are all they are. Opinion and advice is here in plenty but you have already been given perhaps the best advice for someone in your circumstances - start slowly. You haven't said where you are intending to start from or which Camino you have chosen but the advice given always applies. You have probably already seen lots of the "travel light" stuff too. That is also very sound advice. One needs very little on the Camino - keep it simple, avoid the blandishments of the Outdoors Shop salesman, that gadget guaranteed for all survival situations... You're following a well established route through a very civilized country in the company of many others much like you. But do go to a reputable store and talk footwear. And be nice to your feet.

Buen Camino

Hi everyone! Walking Camino de Santiago has been one of my dreams, it sounds amazing and the right thing for me in so many ways. Now I will finally have a longer break from work and the first thing I thought was "finally I can do the camino!". Then I started to read this forum and got a bit discouraged, because of all the preparation the people talk about, in terms of training and gear. I am still working now and have almost no free time. I will have a week off before my camino is supposed to start and during this time I need to get all the necessary equipment plus train myself! I do have a backpack, but not even hiking shoes. I love to walk and do it often but I am not in the best physical shape. The big question is: should I postpone the Camino and do it one day when I will have had time to properly prepare for that? Or should I get the best equipment I can, go there and see what happens?
I would suggest not to postpone your plans, however it is important that you have the right shoes/boots and backpack to do a long distance walk. You don't say how many days you want to walk but you will find that the more days you walk the fitter you get. So what I am saying is that the Camino itself can be the time for you to train as long as you take it easy in the early days of your walk and listen to your body. However, you are still likely to have some muscle pains when you first start but that is a so called good pain and will make you stronger as the days go on. I saw a few people who were physically fit but did not have the right shoes/boots and backpack and had to give up due to this. I would say, if you don't have any medical conditions and you are just a little unfit to just go for it. Just pack lightly and don't make any plans how many kilometres you want to walk in the early stages.

All good advice above. If you're planning to start in SJPP you might consider the Valcarlos route, which allows for a relatively short first two days. Don't postpone! I was also in your position and all was well. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Totu:

In a perfect world you would have all the time in the you might need to digest and act on information here. There is no perfect world. I never even knew about this forum before I walked my first Camino.

Don't be discouraged by all the information here you are unable to incorporate into your walk. Go to REI or your local equivalent and get a good pair of boots or walking shoes. Make sure you have a pack that fits your frame well and develop a packing list, depending on season, that makes you feel comfortable. You can try to target a 10% of your body weight as a guideline. Try to get in a couple of back to back walks to acclimate you feet a little. Buy some nice light weight rain gear or Poncho depending on your preference.

Start slowly and let your body adjust. If starting in SJPdP, stop in Orisson first night.
Listen to your body. If you get a hot spot anywhere but particularly your feet, stop and address the problem, (Vaseline, tape, compeed etc.), your first opportunity. There is NO reason to get a blister. As your feet go, so goes your Camino.
Let the Camino be your guide. Try not to plan too much and just go with the flow and enjoy.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Totu,
All of that training and preparing is for pilgrims to figure out what works and what does not in advance. It does not always work. I thought I had it figured out before I left, but I was wrong (in my case, about footwear). I was not the only one. I would guess 90% of the pilgrims were seriously limping by the time we hit Najera. One of the first lessons the Camino taught me was to discard any approaches or equipment (including boots, shoes, etc.) that were not working. The quicker the better. I had a real spiritual malady of holding onto ideas and things that did not serve me. The Camino helped break me of that. The Camino will show you what you need to do too, if you remain open and flexible. And if, no matter what, you do not stop walking (as I almost did).

I echo the sound advice above: go now while you have time, start slow, keep walking (as slow as necessary), and somehow you will make it to Santiago.

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Hi everyone! The big question is: should I postpone the Camino and do it one day when I will have had time to properly prepare for that? Or should I get the best equipment I can, go there and see what happens?

The only thing I can think of is have a strategy to deal with blisters if you cannot prepare. I would just search this site because there has been so much written on these forums there is already a lot information at your finger tips.

Here is an example from Falcon269 - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/blister-prevention-and-foot-care.7890/

There are a lot of things I could suggest but quite frankly all of them require time and effort. If you work in an office might want to close the door 10 minutes day and do some ankle and calf exercises and stretching. Alternatively I suggest if you have time relaxing in the evening you can do this.

Buen Camino!

Mark

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just go!

I'm never prepared for my camino and the first couple of weeks are always hard, but that's never stopped me. On the question of gear, no matter how much time, effort and experience, we all have to make adjustments along the way, so don't worry. The Camino will provide.

Don't postpone. Do what your instinct and gut wants and that is to go. Reading the posts of training and so on has created a doubt/fear, don't let the doubt win, just take it at a pace you are comfortable with let the first few days be your training.
Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I agree with those saying don't postpone. The only tip I would give on the long-distance walking is to do 2 days of long walks (in that last week you have) as training and stretch every day for that week. Stretching is key key key key imo (along with blister control as mentioned). Fitness isn't so key, what is key is not hurting yourself ;) if you don't hurt yourself and have enough time for your pace, whatever that is, you should be good. :) Buen Camino! If you start mid May i'll see you there.

I cannot help feeling that making at least a little time from now on for some physical, mental and spiritual preparations would reap dividends later. Even if it were just to look at your current work routines and find a few moments here and there to reflect on what it means to undertake a pilgrimage, walk to speak to people if that is possible, take the stairs rather than the lift, or get out a floor or two below your destination, etc, etc. You may find turning your day to day activities into some form of preparation like that more beneficial than trying to cram everything into the last week.

While walking is an ideal, ANY exercise you can sneak in daily will benefit you. I have a pull up bar in the hallway so I try to do a few pull ups every morning. Maybe do a 3 week challenge of doing 50 or 100 pushups per day (or whatever number you can manage whether it is 5-100) which will definitely help your core and help build up the upper back and shoulders a bit to reduce any pack strain. It takes about 15 minutes in a day to do the full 100. Do squats, walk up stairs, walk down stairs...just MOVE! My daughter did a 3 weeks squats challenge she found on Pinterest where you increase the number every other day and I was most impressed with the results. Her abs came back and her quads really benefitted. She is a fit kid but has not being doing martial arts for a while so was noticing a bit of extra insulation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I cannot help feeling that making at least a little time from now on for some physical, mental and spiritual preparations would reap dividends later. Even if it were just to look at your current work routines and find a few moments here and there to reflect on what it means to undertake a pilgrimage, walk to speak to people if that is possible, take the stairs rather than the lift, or get out a floor or two below your destination, etc, etc. You may find turning your day to day activities into some form of preparation like that more beneficial than trying to cram everything into the last week.

Doug is SO right! All of us should just keep moving. Each time I garden on our hillside, carry a load of groceries, stoop to make a bed, etc. I like to think that such effort will make it easier next time to climb up the Ibaneta pass or trudge through the O Cebreiro snow.

At any age what matters most is TO CONTINUE to move.

Margaret Meredith

Well said!

Wow, thank you everyone for the extensive feedback, you people are so nice!!! I definitely became excited about it again and got some good advice, I will try to include some little activities into every day and let the Camino itself be the training time if needed! I think mentally I have been preparing for this for a while already. I have had a very stressful job that has pushed me too far from who I really am, and getting away from it and walking alone for few weeks already sounds like heaven. I was initially thinking about starting from Leon and walk until Santiago, but now I am doubting it, maybe it wouldn't be a proper experience if I don't do the whole way? So maybe I will start from SJPP (and definitely take the Valcarlos route), walk as much as I can in 3,5 weeks (that's how long I have for now) and come back later to continue from where I left off!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
But if I walk slowly and break it up to 2 days? Roncesvalles is another option :)
It is still an arduous two days! Starting in Leon will give you several days of flat/rolling hills walking as training grounds. Starting at SJPdP is quite vertical for two days. I sense a lot of self-doubt in your posts. If the anvil of the Pyrenees crushes your motivation, will it have been worth it if the alternative is starting in Leon and succeeding? Only you know. I suggest that you make the decision less on what others think and do, and more on what you think and can do. "it wouldn't be a proper experience" indicates a set of expectations and false criteria that will not serve you well! It sets you up for disappointment and a sense of failure that will sap your motivation when the path is difficult (which it will be). :);)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But if I walk slowly and break it up to 2 days? Roncesvalles is another option :)
Go for it. You only live once. Like so many people have said to you, fitness, training etc aside it's really a mental game of one foot in front of the other!! Go you!

When I walked the Camino earlier this year I went to SJPdP just three weeks after I had the idea to walk the Camino. I'm basically the opposite of athletic, I had no equipment and no training (neither physical nor mental), except one 15km walk with all the gear I then bought. Yet I did surprisingly well, walking slowly.
For me it was definitely the right choice to do it then -- even this spontaneously -- because for me delaying meant hoping that some day in the future I will have the time and the willpower to walk the Camino. Now I just did it. And I would recommend everyone who asks me to do the same. :)

Nearly 30,000 pilgrims left SJPdP last year and received a compostela, so it can be done! However, it is not about what someone else can do; it is about what you can do. Only you can decide that, so do not pay too much heed to the optimists or pessimists! Know yourself. ;)

I need to get all the necessary equipment plus train myself! I do have a backpack, but not even hiking shoes. I love to walk and do it often but I am not in the best physical shape. The big question is: should I postpone the Camino and do it one day when I will have had time to properly prepare for that?

I am constantly amazed with the lure and love of the Camino experience and equally amazed at thought that anyone's body can make this journey and the "Camino" will take care of you. I am sure we have all met treckers who have been hurt and forced to stop their Camino's in pain and broken hearted. Totu I wish for you a very safe Camino but to just start out, sounds like your opening yourself up to something that could be avoided with just a little more trading And prep.

It will be a 'proper' experience if you walk the camino which is right for you, where-ever you decide is right to start. Better to start in Leon, or even Sarria, and arrive than to set out further back and then stop and feel that you have 'failed'. Both 'proper' and 'failed' are subjective and need not apply. Only you know your aim and what you wish to achieve - decide and then go for it. For some extra preparation (I'll avoid the word training) - take the stairs not the lift (elevator) at least part way both up and down. Every little helps to prepare your legs and muscles.
Buen Camino

Do not despair or be discouraged! You'll be just fine!

If you are going to spend money anywhere, it should be on your footwear and backpack. The shirt you wear, the water bottle you use, none of that really matters. But take care of your feet and back!

I'm about as out of shape as a person can get and I walked. Take it slow, stretch, and stay hydrated at all times. You'll do great!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tout, go. Live your dream. Go the French route when the snow melts if thats what you really want to do. You never can tell when you might not get the chance again. I am with everyone else about starting slow and stopping in Orission(book early). Your body will be tested, but if you are not foolish you can do it. My wish for you is that the Camino is everything you wanted it to be. Buen Camino.

Wow, thank you everyone for the extensive feedback, you people are so nice!!! I definitely became excited about it again and got some good advice, I will try to include some little activities into every day and let the Camino itself be the training time if needed! I think mentally I have been preparing for this for a while already. I have had a very stressful job that has pushed me too far from who I really am, and getting away from it and walking alone for few weeks already sounds like heaven. I was initially thinking about starting from Leon and walk until Santiago, but now I am doubting it, maybe it wouldn't be a proper experience if I don't do the whole way? So maybe I will start from SJPP (and definitely take the Valcarlos route), walk as much as I can in 3,5 weeks (that's how long I have for now) and come back later to continue from where I left off!
Good On YOU.....just take the first few days slowly and calmly....no need to rush. You will have a great experience, and, hopefully, a happy and fulfilling walk....Safe Travels

Totu, I would just like to add to my earlier post that the Camino Frances is not the only Camino that takes you to Santiago. I know it's the most popular and it is really busy in the summer months. If you like time on your own and time away from stress, as you mentioned, it maybe worthwhile to consider other Caminos. You could perhaps walk the the Primitivo from Oviedo or the Portuguese from Porto to Santiago and then continue to Fisterre and even Muxia. This could give you a sense of achievement and it would be within the time frame you have. I know it's not a contest but I really like to finish in Santiago every time I am on the Camino and I really like to collect my Compostela as it is something I can look at and reflect on. The Primitivo and the Portuguese Caminos have a very good infrastructure and you won't be alone, but I think you have more space and time for yourself than on the Camino Frances in the summer months. Winter of course is a different story altogether. And I have seen a few first timers on both of these Caminos, so nothing to be afraid of.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks again for all the encouraging and useful responses!
I know about the other caminos, but I thought that Frances is a good option because I am doing it for the first time (without much preparation as you know), and as I have understood this is the most "well equipped" in terms of getting help if I need to and having people around. I surely want to walk alone for some of the time but on the other hand I also love socializing and meeting new people (which I could do in the evenings).
Tomorrow I will skip some work and go again to the hiking shop to finally buy the shoes, my choice will be most probably Merrell Moab shoes or mid-boots :)
I am still a bit confused about where to start walking - I indeed love the idea of arriving to Santiago and getting Compostela, but on the other hand I want to see and experience the whole Camino, I live in Europe and can come back to finish where I left off quite easily (I am leaving this stressful job soon and will have free time).
These are my thoughts for now :)

Since you live in Europe and can return as you please, how fortunate! Then, I would begin in SJPP and stay at Orrison Hostel the first night.
It is a celebratory stay in a beautiful hotel/restaurant, with a great view. You'll meet many other new Peregrinos and have a rousing dinner together! The next morning, after a light breakfast and coffee, you'll hike through the oldest, largest, remaining beech forest in Europe, soon, instead of saying 'allo, you'll be saying hola! And you'll be in Spain and sitting having a beer at a pub in Roncesvalles!
Last year, I returned to finish my first Camino. The year before, I had trained, but the hike to Orrison was tough... Jet lag took me down. But I made it and it was worth it! Later, with an abscessed tooth, I visited a dentist in Leon, got an antibiotic, took it and by the time I got to Astorga, I was sick from the drugs. I stayed in Astorga for a few days and flushed myself with water... I hiked over to Ponferrada where I decided to quit, get myself better and return. So, last year I came back and found Ponferrada to be the perfect place to start a leisurely two week or so, hike to Santiago! I did not prepare myself physically. When I got there, I took my time and got some training by hiking back to Molinaseca for a nice lunch down there by the old Roman bridge. It wasn't easy... I'd forgotten about that big hill between those towns... But it was a great way to begin again. Do this. It can change your life! I will be hiking the Frances from SJPP again next year later in the fall, God willing. Lighter IS better.

Totu, the Camino Frances is beautiful, and you will have as much time as you want to be on your own, or socializing with other people. I am SURE you will be fine if, as many people here have pointed out, you take it slowly, listen to your body, and also listen to other pilgrims!

Spend money on a good, light backpack, and good shoes (a half size or size bigger than normal). Use vaseline on your heels especially. And then, just TAKE IT SLOWLY and enjoy each and every day.

Your body will ache, probably, for the first few days. That's OK. Just be kind to yourself - and remember, it's not a sprint race... it's a marathon!

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear Totu, do what your heart tells you, listen to your heart! If it is screaming at you to go, then go! :) I am happy for you :)
Maybe we will meet there along the way, I should start next week . Have confortable shoes, I did it with tennis shoes, take your most comfortable ones. It is all about the shoes, after all it is your feet that carry you. I wear some new balance Minimus, is what I like, but any confortable sports shoes will work. About the distances don't try to keep up with others , go at your own pace. It took me 8 weeks to complete from SJPP to Santiago. Take a light pack, don't take your insecurities... this is what one person told me and they were right! All the "what ifs", you take a waay too heavy pack, you will walk through some cities and their stores will be happy to take your credit card payment! Don't worry about the logistics so much is the journey that counts.

Our bodies can take a lot more than we give them credit for especially if you do not suffer any specific ailments. My thoughts would be get your shoes early and break them in. There is nothing worse than walking a long way the first day you wear your new shoes. I know for myself I think about my knee's, back and feet. I am taking poles to help with the knees, taking only what I need and sending things like extra clothes and medications on ahead( I will be in Europe long after I am on the camino) and I am getting my shoes very early so that I can have time to get used to them and get different ones if I need to. I know a lot of people are all about the boots but I read here a few times here to look for walking/hiking shoes not boots..they are lighter...and for me I think I would manage them better. If you do NOTHING else to prepare, go NOW and get shoes and wear them a lot before you go. Otherwise slow and steady wins the race. I know I have not been there before but I used to live on the west coast of B.C. in Canada and there were A LOT of big hills. I remember walking them often when I was younger wondering if I would ever make it to the top! But I learned it's not about making it to the top; its about taking the next step. If you do it one step at a time, watch your footing and be aware of your body then you should be fine. Stop for a moment when you need to then take the next step. I don't have the opportunity to do much hiking uphill anymore but I still don't fear the climb. For what ever reason for me its more about finding a bathroom! lol

Dear Totu, do what your heart tells you, listen to your heart! If it is screaming at you to go, then go! :) I am happy for you :)
Maybe we will meet there along the way, I should start next week . Have confortable shoes, I did it with tennis shoes, take your most comfortable ones. It is all about the shoes, after all it is your feet that carry you. I wear some new balance Minimus, is what I like, but any confortable sports shoes will work. About the distances don't try to keep up with others , go at your own pace. It took me 8 weeks to complete from SJPP to Santiago. Take a light pack, don't take your insecurities... this is what one person told me and they were right! All the "what ifs", you take a waay too heavy pack, you will walk through some cities and their stores will be happy to take your credit card payment! Don't worry about the logistics so much is the journey that counts.
Love this...well said!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If the Camino calls, answer.
Use common sense and listen to your body.
Go for it!
I trained due to my work not more than 75km. Got good shoes ( I hope) and good equipment (backpack) With my 53 years I let the live, nature and the moment lead me.
Buen Camino

Hi Totu - when are you starting your walk? It sounds like you're starting soon. I am leaving May 13 from SJPdP. As others have said, don't put this off. The camino will provide for you in all things. It's too easy in life to push things back and then before we know it, life is gone. I've wanted to do this since I was 16 and now 27 years later, I can. Also, I'm a nursing student so I understand the stress and lack of time. I have been able to walk but not nearly the mileage I wanted. But I'll listen to my body and take it day by day. Buen camino!!!

I have finally decided to start from SJPdP and stay in Orisson or take the Valcarlos route, depending on the weather. I will start at the end of May, I am not sure yet about the exact date but by the next week I will have figured it out:) I will still have to work most of May but will try and train as much as possible! I literally cannot stop thinking about it, so excited!
Tina, you will be way ahead of me. I'm glad you can finally do it, even if it's after 27 years! Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
... I do have a backpack, but not even hiking shoes. I love to walk and do it often but I am not in the best physical shape. The big question is: should I postpone the Camino and do it one day when I will have had time to properly prepare for that? Or should I get the best equipment I can, go there and see what happens?

Get your shoes asap and start to wear them in, even if it is only around the house after work. I wouldn't postpone, "one day when ..." easily becomes never. Just take the first few days on the Camino slowly and pack light.

Buen Camino! SY

I was just dreaming about my next Camino wearing a tan linen suit with my credit card and tooth brush in my pocket. Oh, and then along the way I might need an umbrella. Basta! I was dreaming!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In my opinion, you already have the two things most needed to successfully walk the CF- desire and determination. Follow the advice on this thread that rings true to you. You'll figure out the rest quickly. Use your common sense. Walks slowly and pay attention to your body. When it tells you to slow down or stop for the day, do it.
The best advice I got - "Start out like an old man so you can finish like a young man."
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.