• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

No walking experience - have just decided to go - tomorrow. Help

Terri Moynihan

Time of past OR future Camino
I planned to walk the camino in September of this year but right now my brain is frazzled and I need to go NOW. Have decided to fly to Paris tomorrow and then on to Pied a Port and stay there for two nights while I compose myself and make plans. Any recommendations for reasonable accommodation, single room in hotel at a reasonable price near to everything as I will need to purchase a few things. I am a 60 year old lady with very little walking experience so I intend to take it easy, possibly 15 to 20 km daily with maybe a day of rest here and there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow! Well, SJPP has several hotels and hostels and there are probably a few albuergues who would let you stay two nights at this time of year. There are also several places where you can pick up w/e items you need. Just ask them at the pilgrim's office.
Hope you have a wonderful Camino and manage to sweep all the cobwebs out.

Terry, welcome, do it!
In your shoes, I would just reconsider your starting point (SJPdP); why endure the complications of getting there and the physical strain to cross the Pyrrenies in a rather dicy season weatherwise. Take a train to Pamplona from Barcelona or Madrid! You can buy whatever you'll need in this town and start walking whenever you're ready. (Use Booking.com to reserve a room in the center)
Whatever you decide, have the buen camino you obviously need!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome Terri, well you jumped in at the deep end, good for you. What I normally do is Google accommodation for St Jean and take it from there. There are at least three gear shops in St Jean to get any last minute stuff you may need. Heed the advice at the pilgrims office about conditions on the Napoleon.
I wish you a safe and wonderful Camino and I envy your spur of the moment attitude.
Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Terri,

If you do begin at SJPdP go first to the Pilgrim Office run by volunteers of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. Open every day it usually stays open for the arrival of the last train/bus. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. They can provide you with current info on the path and weather, a Credential and on site lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the pilgrim albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle which is a fine place to stay, but does NOT take reservations. If this albergue is full the volunteers will help you find other pilgrim lodgings. They keep up to the minute lists of all available space for pilgrims and regular tourists throughout the SJPdP area.

Buen camino,

MM

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Terry, welcome, do it!
In your shoes, I would just reconsider your starting point (SJPdP); why endure the complications of getting there and the physical strain to cross the Pyrrenies in a rather dicy season weatherwise. Take a train to Pamplona from Barcelona or Madrid! You can buy whatever you'll need in this town and start walking whenever you're ready. (Use Booking.com to reserve a room in the center)
Whatever you decide, have the buen camino you obviously need!
Many thanks for that. Yes I think I will reconsider my starting point if I can get a flight to Barcelona or Madrid. Just need to go now to clear my head. Cheers.

Terri,

If you do begin at SJPdP go first to the Pilgrim Office run by volunteers of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. Open every day it usually stays open for the arrival of the last train/bus. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. They can provide you with current info on the path and weather, a Credential and on site lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the pilgrim albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle which is a fine place to stay, but does NOT take reservations. If this albergue is full the volunteers will help you find other pilgrim lodgings. They keep up to the minute lists of all available space for pilgrims and regular tourists throughout the SJPdP area.

Buen camino,

MM
Thank you so much for all of that. You are very helpful. Am rethinking my starting point on the advice of others on this site who have also kindly taken the time to reply but if I cannot get a flight to either Madrid or Barcelona I will stick with the original plan. I am very grateful for those contact details. Cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome, Terri. Wherever you decide to start, I wish you well. When I walked the Francés, I too, started in SJPP, age 60, and very frazzled. I'm sending positive thoughts your way ... gentle Camino hugs, blue skies, joy, contentment, light, hope and love ..... :):):)
Ah thank you so much. That makes me feel so good. I am just having a little meltdown - you know yourself - life isn't at all easy at times and you just need a little space and time for yourself instead of always being there for others. I am actually feeling better already. Cheers!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino, Terri!

I am also 60 and plan to walk my first time starting May 1. I have had a year to plan and, while I appreciate everything I have learned, I notice I am now really overthinking things. So, good for you for just going with your instincts. There is so much help, here and out there, that I am sure you will do remarkably well.

Most importantly, keep listening to yourself. You know what is right for you.

IF, however, you do decide to start from St. Jean Pied de Port, consider making your first stop on the path at Orisson.

I planned to walk the camino in September of this year but right now my brain is frazzled and I need to go NOW. Have decided to fly to Paris tomorrow and then on to Pied a Port and stay there for two nights while I compose myself and make plans. Any recommendations for reasonable accommodation, single room in hotel at a reasonable price near to everything as I will need to purchase a few things. I am a 60 year old lady with very little walking experience so I intend to take it easy, possibly 15 to 20 km daily with maybe a day of rest here and there.
Hy Terri , I would say do it nice and easy , and as some people said begin in Pamplona . Keep listening to yourself and have a good time . Wish you all well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You know this seems obvious - but it came as a bit of a shock to me. I walk here at home and can do about 4 miles in an hour. So I thought doing 20 kms a day would be a snap. But I don't walk here at home for 7-8 hours. And I am not carrying a pack. And I don't walk in inclement weather. And we don't have any Pyrenees in Texas. And I walk on a dirt path.
But the Camino has its weather and its moments on the side of a highway and on cement and climbing straight up for a straight hour (or two). You're not going to be moving at a 4 (or a 3) mile an hour pace! Sometimes after the second hour I was done. And those first couple of days out of SJPP and into Roncesvalles were pretty tough. Still, I am glad I did them. I am glad I didn't talk myself out of it. And by the 10th day I could handle just about anything thrown at me without nearly as much whining and wondering why on earth I had thought it would be fun and announcing on a nightly basis that I was leaving the Camino first thing in the morning.
Part of the Camino is the challenge to yourself to do something tough. You CAN do this and you will be glad you did!
There is a little bakery on your way out of SJPP. Stop and get yourself some lunch and some fruit. You'll want a small rest a couple of times before you reach your first albuergue.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buen Camino, Terri!

I am also 60 and plan to walk my first time starting May 1. I have had a year to plan and, while I appreciate everything I have learned, I notice I am now really overthinking things. So, good for you for just going with your instincts. There is so much help, here and out there, that I am sure you will do remarkably well.

Most importantly, keep listening to yourself. You know what is right for you.

IF, however, you do decide to start from St. Jean Pied de Port, consider making your first stop on the path at Orisson.

Considering what we have been reading about current snow conditions, if you start in SJPP, don't go over the mountains, but the Valcarlos route. That would take Orisson out of the equation.

Welcome Terri, good for you! The Camino will give you the time and space that you need. I really admire your 'just do it' attitude.
Good luck and Buen Camino ;)
Nuala

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Many thanks for that. Yes I think I will reconsider my starting point if I can get a flight to Barcelona or Madrid. Just need to go now to clear my head. Cheers.

This time of year Pamplona would be a much much better starting point, and the route is plenty long enough to clear your head out.

I vote for Pamplona, too. Everything you might need is available there, you can recover from jet lag, and the terrain is better for "taking it easy" at the start. You won't take anything away from the overall Camino experience (and might add to it by not overdoing things at the beginning).

P.S. Keep us updated as things unfold! We love to follow the adventures.

Terri, may the road rise up to meet you as you go.
In truth it may be a less problematic start for your Camino if you started from Pamplona, given your state of preparedness.
However, we each walk our own Caminos and know ourselves, so pray about it and make your choice.
Buen Camino
Philip

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Way to go! Hopefully you will assimilate the advice you receive here and adjust your plans as necessary, but I applaud your decision. I don't envy whatever troubles you have but envy your solution. It sounds like sheer determination will get you to your starting point. Your strength will build from there.

Buen camino.

Given your age, (lack of) preparednesss, and time of year, I can say the following:

The Route Napoleon (over the Pyrenees) is risky this time of year, and you will most likely be adviced by the Pilgrim Office to take the Valcarlos route. No point, IMHO. IF the route Napoleon is open, I strongly advice, again given your age etc. that you pre-book a bed in Orrison. SJPdP-Roncesvalles is 26-27 kms, but most likely the toughest oneday-strecth of the whole Camino! It is very much steep uphill for 20 kms or so, and then very steep downhill for the last kms...

If you start from Pamplona, you will arrive in a most interesting city where you can get all you want.

The first day out from Pamplona is very much straight forward, then a small climb up the Aldo del Perdon (Height of Forgiveness), and after that, settle for a nice albergue in the next village or so, and there you have it: First day success.

Just my 0.02 $

Terry, please check the weather reports before deciding to go from SJPP. There was snow in Roncesvalles today, and that's the other side of the big climb from SJPP. If you are not a conditioned walker you will lose heart very quickly if you go from SJPP, bad weather or no. Maybe take a day or two to re-plan given the winter conditions. You might find the Camino App advertised here helpful with your accommodation planning. Buen Camino,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Terry, please check the weather reports before deciding to go from SJPP. There was snow in Roncesvalles today, and that's the other side of the big climb from SJPP. If you are not a conditioned walker you will lose heart very quickly if you go from SJPP, bad weather or no.
Excactly my concern: It is very easy to be discouraged even at the road to Orrison, not alone let a 60-year old try to take the leap from SJPdp to Roncesvalles in one go...

What are your advices, fellow members? I'd go for Pamplona.

Terri, last year I was 65 when I started from SJPdP in mid May.
The 1st day to Orisson certainly got my attention due to the climb. The next day started out lovely but soon the clouds came, then the rain which turned ibto freezing rain, then snow. Soon the pathway became snowy, slippery and foggy.

I was very glad when I got in, for I had an injured knee (torn meniscus) which stayed with me for the rest of the Camino to SdC.

I only mention this to you, to add to your considerations for the weather over the Pyranese Mtns at this time of year is at best, undependable

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well done, Terri. Taking the bull by the horns! Totally agree Pamplona (!) would be a wise place to start your adventure. It's easy to get to by train from Barcelona.
Slow but sure will get you there. Don't try to keep up with everyone else. Let your body dictate how far you walk each day so your frazzled brain has the space to unscramble. Enjoy every moment, embrace every person you meet who shares your journey for even the briefest of moments. As they are your gift, you too become theirs.
Will be thinking of you. God bless.

That isn't "easy" unless you are fit and trained! Settle for 6km in the beginning, if that it what it takes.
I agree completely with falcon. Perhaps your idea of "little walking experience" is very different from mine, but I wouldn't think that 15 - 20 K per day repeatedly would be wise from the get go. I would be concerned about an increased risk of injury not to mention the impact on your enjoyment of the Camino. Unless the Napoleon route is open, starting in St. Jean removes the option of even keeping your first days distance within that target, and trust me, even with a stop at Orisson it is a tough first couple of days. I am still incredulous at that first 8 kilometres and I work out regularly and had prepared with months of walking with a pack. I commend you for your decision to get started, but even if travel arrangements bring you to St. Jean, you could enjoy looking around there and get a bus or taxi through the first stage (or 2 or 3). That way you will have more options on when to end your day. Buen Camino - I wish you a peaceful mind!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I too think you should consider starting in Pamplona.

Vaya con Dios and Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The difficulty of walking over the Pyranees is greatly exaggerated, in my opinion, because everyone wants a war story. Go slow, one foot in front of the other and there you are. Buen Camino.
IMHO; this is not correct. The first 8 kms from SJPdp to Orrison is a very demanding climb. After Orrison, it is still a demanding way up, and then an equally steep downhill for several kms. A 60 years old person should be in very good shape to do it in one go.

I am in pretty good shape (well; round is a shape...). I would have had a hard time doing it in one day. It would just be a very disappointing start to one's Camino for many people...

Last edited:
IMHO; this is not correct. The first 8 kms from SJPdp to Orrison is a very demanding climb. After Orrison, it is still a demandinmg way up, and then an equally steep downhill for several kms. A 60 years old poerson should be in very good shape to do it in one go.

I am in pretty good shape. I would have had a hard time doing it in one day. It would just be a very disappointing start to one's Camino for many people...
My opinion isn't open for debate. It's my opinion. You are free to express yours without piggy-backing on mine. Buen Camino.

Wow. We just have different opinions. As for crossing the mountain range of the Pyrenees in March: If in doubt, act as if there is no doubt...

My opinion isn't open for debate. It's my opinion. You are free to express yours without piggy-backing on mine.
I love you too.:)

Edit: I should add: The stretch from SJPdP to Roncesvalles (27 kms) is in much tougher terrain than the 30 kms march that young Norw. soldiers are exposed to in order to get approved as worthy soldiers.

What does piggy-backing mean? Explain so that non-English speakers can understand, please? It is interesting to observe that English-speaking people take it for granted that the rest of the world understands everything you say, while most English-speaking people are not even able to say hello, goodnight, or order a beer in Spanish...

Last edited:

€60,-
My opinion isn't open for debate. It's my opinion. You are free to express yours without piggy-backing on mine. Buen Camino.

And my opinion is that your opinion is very poor advice. I hope you will be there to offer a piggy back ride over that pass.

My opinion isn't open for debate. It's my opinion. You are free to express yours without piggy-backing on mine.
I hope your opinions are open for debate: It's the only way to improve oneself. All of us. And I still do not know what you mean by piggyback: Please explain and enlighten me and all of us in here who are not as fluent in the English language as you are, and need an explanation...

My opinion is based on my own experience of hiking over the Napoleon last year at age 58 in April. Thus, that is my opinion, having hiked for many, many years. Of course, one does not need to agree with me. But an opinion is an opinion and one based on experience is worthy. Of course, one takes advice if conditions are adverse - that goes without saying. Piggy-backing in this format is not expressing oneself on one's own merit but disagreeing with experienced opinioned to mock. I also do not think 60 is old. Laughing at someone's opinion is not something to be proud off. Work on that! Buen Camino!

Edit: Mocking is against forum rules.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ah thank you so much. That makes me feel so good. I am just having a little meltdown - you know yourself - life isn't at all easy at times and you just need a little space and time for yourself instead of always being there for others. I am actually feeling better already. Cheers!

Hi Terri,
I'm so glad you posted here. I am starting my Camino April 8 from SJPDP at the age of 61. I am sure I have way over planned my Camino. I will be a slow one and proud of it ;-), but that's really just my physical reality. Thanks to your Post and others replies I realize it may be "okay" for me to take the bus to Pamplona after all.... For me it will be a day by day. Here's to all those 60+ folks out there who are heading out on the journey of a life time!! A Buen Camino to you Terri!

I'm 55, with quite a lot of walking experience and in very adequate shape, and I am still going to need to do some serious training to get ready for SJPP to Roncesvalles. I know it. I've watched the youtube clips, read the accounts, and am sure that in order for me to feel okay, I'll be doing some very long and consistent hikes over the summer months (when I'm retired) to prepare.

I think the original poster mentioned that she is inexperienced. She also was having some stress (frazzled). I know that is just how I felt when my parents both died within even months! I'm trying to relate with the need of the OP to just get going fast.

Perhaps 60 isn't old for many of the people on this site; everyone here seems so fit! It is a fairly long stretch of living on the same knee joints. I would personally start at Pamplona this time of the year, given the weather, if I had not been training. All very much my own opinion though!

I have been feeling frazzled as well. While I'm very well prepared equipment wise (looking at my backpack with a big
:)) I know I'm not as prepared physically as I hoped to be. I look after my 89 year old mother full time. A joy in many, many ways yet stressful too as I don't really have much time to train properly. I've come so far in planning and research but no time to just step away lately. I realized I can only do what I can do when I get to Spain. I have family supporting me all the way once I leave. They will be there for Mom but I still worry about all the what if's..... Not only for her but for me as well. What if the route Napoleon is closed, etc. I have 3 weeks remaining to train as much as I can.... It is what it is....
For me, I realized most of my stress is self imposed.... Bottom line is I can't wait to get myself on that plane and meet some of you wonderful people, drink it all in (yes the wine too) and breathe..... ;)
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been feeling frazzled as well. While I'm very well prepared equipment wise (looking at my backpack with a big
:)) I know I'm not as prepared physically as I hoped to be. I look after my 89 year old mother full time. A joy in many, many ways yet stressful too as I don't really have much time to train properly. I've come so far in planning and research but no time to just step away lately. I realized I can only do what I can do when I get to Spain. I have family supporting me all the way once I leave. They will be there for Mom but I still worry about all the what if's..... Not only for her but for me as well. What if the route Napoleon is closed, etc. I have 3 weeks remaining to train as much as I can.... It is what it is....
For me, I realized most of my stress is self imposed.... Bottom line is I can't wait to get myself on that plane and meet some of you wonderful people, drink it all in (yes the wine too) and breathe..... ;)
Buen Camino!

I love people who care for others. You are giving your mom such a tremendous gift, and you have earned your camino, Evergreen! I know you will do just fine.

Piggy-backing in this format is not expressing oneself on one's own merit but disagreeing with experienced opinioned to mock. I also do not think 60 is old. Laughing at someone's opinion is not something to be proud off. Work on that! Buen Camino!
Who on Earth has been mocking you? Who is mocking who? Who has been laughing at you? Peace, please.

If your opinon is that SJPdP - Roncesvalles is a walk in the park; then good for you. I can tell you one thing: For many in their start of the 60's it is definitely not. It is a very hard start on their Camino. People have different fitness levels: For average + 60, SJPdP - Roncesvalles is not a walk in the park.

Last edited:
I think it was just a language miscommunication. You're wonderful people! Today is Monday. Has anyone besides me felt that urge--as the OP did--to just get on a plane already?? 55 working days until retirement. Guess what I'm going to be saying tomorrow?

I decided to soak it up and book in the Orisson Refuge. I could do the SJPdP to Roncesvalles in a day but I'd rather take my time a bit especially at the start.

I'm doing the same thing if all goes as planned I will be there on 4/12, already booked. The countdown is on - 21 days to Paris. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm doing the same thing if all goes as planned I will be there on 4/12, already booked. The countdown is on - 21 days to Paris. Buen Camino!

I wont be out there until May 16th! Wish you well, Buen Camino friend.

Terri, as a newbie I can't comment on your plans - but there's a lot of sage advice from members of this great caring forum - instead I wish you all the very best for what will be a fabulous experience regardless of where you start.
Buen Camino
Suzanne :)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino!
Hi Evergree, I will start my trip on May 26 starting Saint Jean, I'm 62. Some times we have to "Let go, and let God"

My opinion is based on my own experience of hiking over the Napoleon last year at age 58 in April. Thus, that is my opinion, having hiked for many, many years. .

Many many years of hiking....need we say more? I'm very happy you could cross the Pyrenees at age 58.

My wife and I (both in the 60-70yr range) hiked over a 17,000 ft pass in Nepal a few months ago. We did just fine, due to our many, many years of experience, but would not recommend it for someone who posts " I am a 60 year old lady with very little walking experience". If anyone wants ideas on what is adequate preparation, I'll be glad to share how we got ready for that trip, or any of our pilgrimage trips.

I am not mocking you. I'm sorry if you feel that way. This is not about you. It is all about giving good advice to someone who came to us, and asked for help.

Last edited:
Whoa, Terri; you are one brave gal! I also suggest beginning in Pamplona. It is a lovely city and you can stay a day or so, work on getting over jet-lag and prepare yourself mentally and physically. There are many advantages to beginning there.

You are probably on your way as I am typing this. I wish you the very best. I would like to give you one piece of advice I have not seen here. Sometime on your camino you might feel tired, scared or discouraged. Don't be afraid to ask your fellow pilgrims for support. If you find yourself ready to just chuck it all and head for home, give yourself one more day. Just one.

I wish you bright blessings and the best of caminos.

I'm going for the month of July never done anything like this before either; I am 68 with some health issues so plan to take it slow I will start in Burgos I would like to start in France also but I am sure it would take me forever to get over the mountains and I don't have that kind of time IT has taken me 3 years to plan this out a friend of mine who encouraged me to do this and believed that I could so much so that she was going to come with me Then she was hit with Cancer in January of 2014 and died Oct 4th of 2014 we were going to be walking the Canimo in Sept of 2014 As you can imagine This changed my plans some what and set me back a bit to re look at what I was doing For peace of mind for me I think it was wise to take some time and seek out if this is what God would have me do if so then to ,find out what I needed , make a few plans, set some goals , get a guide book, a budget , and hopefully some one to go with which I do as my oldest son has offered to join me, reading the forums I have a gleaned a lot of info from other people also As life has a habit of blind siding me with the unexpected I have found some kind of back up plan b is good to have and I am less likely to worry. I admire your risk taking spirit I think you are very brave if all what I hear is true then I am sure you will have a wonderful time I am sorry as I have never traveled before I can't recommend any hotels or lodgings for you
Buen Camino

I think it was just a language miscommunication. You're wonderful people! Today is Monday. Has anyone besides me felt that urge--as the OP did--to just get on a plane already?? 55 working days until retirement. Guess what I'm going to be saying tomorrow?
Yessss, me and i actually did buy a ticket today for wednesday.....euhh tomorrow :) And going to Pamplona. I have absolutely no desire to go shovel snow in the mountains ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
camino tomorrow I am a 60 year old lady with very little walking experience so I intend to take it easy, possibly 15 to 20 km daily with maybe a day of rest here and there.

good plan take It slowly after a several days you will start to feel fit and capable and probably have some new camino friends

Terri have a good Camino. I have to say how ever this is how injuries happen. This isnt a movie that begins with Mr Avery you are over 60 and you aren't prepared ... as terrible as the truth is, you are opening yourself up to serious issues.

As for comments like 'The difficulty of walking over the Pyranees is greatly exaggerated" give them little attention. I have met many people who had ended there Camino by the time they got to Pamplona. I have done three Camino's and will go again in May and still will give those mountains the respect they deserve. For the walking condition with its roadways and worn paths it is very easy, for the topography and rate of incline it is not easy, as for altitude and breathing it can be demanding. ( I live in Virginia, we are like 100 feet above sea level) I spend at least 6 weekends hiking the Blue Ridge before leaving for these walks.

Walk safe and be smart. When you hurt stop walking.

Saramago how far did you walk?

Last edited:
I hope that the sudden ugly flares in this thread have meanwhile cooled. The crossing of the pyrrenies is a challenge to some and a piece of cake to others, depending on each individual's physical condition, but even more so on prevailing weather and low temps. Terry referred to her «very little walking experience» and asked for advise; and good advise she got. In her case and in this time of the year its just not a good idea to start in SJPdP, period.
IMO, the fact that too many contributors to this forum unreflectingly imply SLPdP as being «THE» Camino starting point would merit ample discussion in a dedicated thread; there is NO historical, religious or other pertinent reason to start in this obscure border village, that could not equally be claimed by any other of countless places along the CF.
Don't get me wrong, to hike from SJPdP to Roncesvalles is a great experience especially in good season and yes, the vast majority of Pilgrims able to walk to SdC is entirely capable to manage the climb and descent. BUT...the endless repetion of questions about «how do I get to SJPdP» in this Forum suggest that the «true» Camino «must» start there only and that anything less is just not «the real thing».
The victims of this thoughtless perpetuating SLPdP-promotion are the unfit, untrained, jet-lagged, heavy or otherwise physically impaired peregrinos, many of whom consequently come to suffer unnecessary injuries, pain not uncommonly leading to abandonment.
This excellent forum is meant to promote the camino-experience as such and to let the experienced help the first-timers, not to tell them from where they supposedly have to start.
Should we debate in a new thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
you are 60 years old lady without experience, and want to walk 700 km without excercises?!
I'm 77, made some excersices, make my 1st camino only 110 km, from Valenca, on 8 April. When and if it work good, and God will help, i'll do the Frances next year.

Yessss, me and i actually did buy a ticket today for wednesday.....euhh tomorrow :) And going to Pamplona. I have absolutely no desire to go shovel snow in the mountains ;)

Love it! Have a great, safe, joyous buen vino tinto camino!

I'm sorry if you feel tht way

My wife and I (both in the 60-70yr range) hiked over a 17,000 ft pass in Nepal a few months ago.
Off topic, Newfydog, but was that the Aannapurna Circuit? If so, did you blog about it or otherwise post anything? I'd like to hear more about it, including how you trained.

Karl

I decided to soak it up and book in the Orisson Refuge. I could do the SJPdP to Roncesvalles in a day but I'd rather take my time a bit especially at the start.
That's such a good idea, I wish I had done that in retrospect! Instead with my heart in my mouth, I scrambled down a rough path in bad weather (fog & rain at the top) in to Roncesvalles, so knackered I couldn't even make the mass! Ah well, older and wiser now, Portugal here I come!

I'm going for the month of July never done anything like this before either; I am 68 with some health issues so plan to take it slow I will start in Burgos I would like to start in France also but I am sure it would take me forever to get over the mountains and I don't have that kind of time IT has taken me 3 years to plan this out a friend of mine who encouraged me to do this and believed that I could so much so that she was going to come with me Then she was hit with Cancer in January of 2014 and died Oct 4th of 2014 we were going to be walking the Canimo in Sept of 2014 As you can imagine This changed my plans some what and set me back a bit to re look at what I was doing For peace of mind for me I think it was wise to take some time and seek out if this is what God would have me do if so then to ,find out what I needed , make a few plans, set some goals , get a guide book, a budget , and hopefully some one to go with which I do as my oldest son has offered to join me, reading the forums I have a gleaned a lot of info from other people also As life has a habit of blind siding me with the unexpected I have found some kind of back up plan b is good to have and I am less likely to worry. I admire your risk taking spirit I think you are very brave if all what I hear is true then I am sure you will have a wonderful time I am sorry as I have never traveled before I can't recommend any hotels or lodgings for you
Buen Camino
A couple of weeks into my Camino I met a woman in her late 60s walking alone. We spent a morning together and I asked her where she got the gumption to do it. She saidf she had never planned to be there alone. She and her closest friend had been planning it for 2 years. The friend had come to see her ONE WEEK before and told her she just couldn't do it. No explanation, no apology. So she had just decided to go it alone. And she told me she was so nervous, so scared, so worried.
But once she started walking she was glad she was on her own. She was meeting so many people and having a great time chatting with them. She realized there were so many small decisions she had to make every day - and she was glad she didn't have to get a vote on anything.
I am sure you'd far rather be with your friend! But you're going to have a marvelous time on your own too. And you can walk in her memory and in her honor. Carry a small stone from home for her, to leave at the Cruz de Ferro. And you know you can also walk from Roncesvalles. Plenty of people do. SJPP is NOT the beginning of the Camino. It is just where MOST people start their Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I hope your opinions are open for debate: It's the only way to improve oneself. All of us. And I still do not know what you mean by piggyback: Please explain and enlighten me and all of us in here who are not as fluent in the English language as you are, and need an explanation...
A "piggy-back" is where one gives a ride on one's back to another. Usually a child. I have no idea why it is called piggy-back. I think because pig farmers would actually sling pigs over their backs (though not in the same manner as we mean it) to carry them. In this case the carried would have their legs slung around the hips/waist of the carrier and their arms around the neck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you, Chacharm. I still don't understand what I said wrong, though. But let it rest.

For Terri, the OP, her problem/choice of way seems to have been solved: Napoleon route is closed for now.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/napoléon-route-closed-too-much-snow.32065/#post-283075

I hope she follows the advice of many experienced pilgrims in here and go to Pamplona instead of wading on her own in slush on the Valcarlos road route. Sounds like a showstopper to me.

Edit: I most sincerely hope that she reads this, sho she also knows what we know.

Last edited:
Ok everyone, I have decided to take your advice and start in Pamplona. Leaving tomorrow instead of today because of change in starting point. Have booked a hotel in Madrid for two nights and then on to Pamplona where I hope to purchase the necessary equipment. Thank you for that link to the store . I am nervous and excited at the same time but know with certainty that this is my time to do it. Will keep you posted on how I fare. Thank you all for your good wishes and advice and I wish everyone else who is presently walking or intending to walk the camino a pleasant and safe journey. Cheers

Ok everyone, I have decided to take your advice and start in Pamplona. Leaving tomorrow instead of today because of change in starting point. Have booked a hotel in Madrid for two nights and then on to Pamplona where I hope to purchase the necessary equipment. Thank you for that link to the store . I am nervous and excited at the same time but know with certainty that this is my time to do it. Will keep you posted on how I fare. Thank you all for your good wishes and advice and I wish everyone else who is presently walking or intending to walk the camino a pleasant and safe journey. Cheers

Buen Camino, Terri! Let us know about everything!

Terri,

Check this little place out.

http://errecaldia.com/

I'm staying there April 7th and 8th before I start walking.

Len

Last edited:

<3 Buen Camino

Please take the advise of the experienced walkers on this forum. They are giving you the best advise. I've done the journey in September and it was wonderful starting in SJPP. Weather is a big, big consideration that you have to factor into your journey. I'm with everyone who says start in Pampalona. You can maybe find someone to share a cab withhold get there. The journey over the Pyrenees in snow is no joke and should not be taken lightly. I love your enthusiasm, but you have to be ready to experience cold and rain at this time of the year. When you feel like quitting that's when you have to keep going. I believe that traveling this time of year on the Camino is not for the light hearted. Be careful. This is just my opinion only. I completed the Camino at age 66. I was not an experienced walker. I felt like everybody was passing me up. I don't think you will have that problem because I believe that the Camino is not crowed at this time of the year. It's not the age, or how long it takes you to get to Santiago. It is what you make of it. Keep posted. Buen Camino

Terri,

I am so relieved that you are starting from Pamplona. I was actually holding my breath as I worked down through the thread..
I would even go so far as to suggest that you stay in Cizur Menur the next night and that means that you have a head start when going up Alto del Perdón.

This is what I plan to do in June when I go with my granddaughter. she is 13 and I am 71.

The wisdom is to walk slowly into the Camino. After a week your muscles will know what is expected of them and will do it, but that first week you need to have compassion on your own body.

I wish you well. Be gentle with yourself.

Buen Camino

€83,-
Terri,
By starting in Pamplona, you have avoided a dangerous stretch at this time of year, and replaced it with (most likely) a spring walk. I have attached a couple of profile sheets of the Camino (Actually: The whole of your Camino): Find Pamplona on the 1st, and see what you can expect of distances and elevations. As you can see, it is fairly easy walking the next 2 weeks or so: One week of good walking, and you will be much more fit. Just don't push yourself: Stop for the day when your body tells you to do.

Your chance of success has skyrocketed by your decision! ;)

Pay atttention to a place called Castrojeritz 2 weeks out or so: I advice you to stay overnight there, because right after there the Camino starts with a hill called the Mule Killer...:) Best done early in chilly air, believe me... After the Mule Killer, you have arrived on the Meseta; A peaceful and mostly flat area for 9-10 days.

Buen Camino!

Edit: If you like to, print them out and bring them with you: Could be helpful, and weighs nothing.

Attachments

• Camino de Santiago (Profile1).gif
    Camino de Santiago (Profile1).gif
    22.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Camino de Santiago (Profile2).gif
    Camino de Santiago (Profile2).gif
    25.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Camino de Santiago (Profile3).gif
    Camino de Santiago (Profile3).gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Camino de Santiago (Profile4).gif
    Camino de Santiago (Profile4).gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Camino de Santiago (Profile5).gif
    Camino de Santiago (Profile5).gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

€46,-

Fabulous Terri!! A wonderful journey to you!! Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Good luck with the new boots. :)

I started my first Camino in Pamplona, and my life has not been the same since. There is a nice statue of Ernest Hemmingway outside the bull ring in Pamplona.

Ernie and I wish you a great trip!
ernie.JPG

I started my first Camino in Pamplona, and my life has not been the same since.
Me too, in 2009. Unforgettable!

Newfydog, I should add: That very first night in a bunk bed in the large albergue, I folded my hands and said thanks to whoever brought me there. It was overwhelming.

Even if the young [person, edited by ivar] next to me started texting and chatting with all her friends from 3.00 AM... At that time I hadn't learnt about earplugs and blinders...

I hope that our new friend Terri will have an equal inspiring experience on her way. I believe so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started my first Camino in Pamplona, and my life has not been the same since. [/ATTACH]
Comnpletely agree, and I am quite convinced that I understand what you're saying. I can even take it further, while I am battling a serious flu up here (how stupid: Living in the Arctic all year, and being chained to my bed by a cold...): I am so happy for what the Camino has provided me with. I am finally a better person.

The Camino is a strong and just teacher, if you just listen and pay attention.

Comnpletely agree, and I am quite convinced that I understand what you're saying. I can even take it further, while I am battling a serious flu up here (how stupid: Living in the Arctic all year, and being chained to my bed by a cold...): I am so happy for what the Camino has provided me with. I am finally a better person.

The Camino is a strong and just teacher, if you just listen and pay attention.

Get well quickly. Hot tea with lemon, honey, and whatever you've got in the liquor cabinet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Terri Moynihan I am so glad you are following the sage advice to start in Pamplona. At other times of the year, or if you had a bit more training/hiking/youth on your side it might be different. And it's pretty obviously good advice, now the Route Napoleon has been again closed by snow.

I do get cross when people say how easy they find the climb to Roncesvales - probably because I do not. I find it hard. Knowing it will be hard does not stop me but every time it thrills me to the core when I catch the first glimpse of those buildings.

Let us not diminish the real accomplishment of those who struggle but keep going - the majority. Being supportive and encouraging is one thing, being boastful another. The test is not how one starts, but how one persists. Walking the Route Napoleon is no guarantee of the fortitude needed to walk all the way to Santiago.

This did make me laugh though, it is exactly the disgraceful way I behave for the first week or so! :

as much whining and wondering why on earth I had thought it would be fun and announcing on a nightly basis that I was leaving the Camino first thing in the morning.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back