• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Noises in the night...and "the considerate Pilgrim"

The snoring thread instantly took my mind back to the Camino, I feel like some of those moments were just a few days ago.

I'm not a snorer and I'm not a bag rustler...
but the Camino will try to teach you not to judge others...even if it has to serve you a lesson on a silver platter to do so.

In MUXIA my very last night a loud alarm was going off in the middle night. I was suprised at how many people seemed to sleep thru it. It appeared to get louder and louder and I sat straight up. I was so exhausted having walked in pouring rain by myself and was lost a good part of the day from Finesterre. I was shocked that here at the end of the trip that some inconsiderate person would let their alarm go off to inconvience EVERYONE in the room. You would think that they had the system down by the last day (or two).

I sat up and in my sleep looked around eager to guess who the thoughtless soul was. I looked from bunk to bunk, "it must be that person look they are taking up two beds with all of their stuff". "It must be that person"... I kept guessing ...
muttering under my breath, "turn that thing off".

Then the nicest man came up beside my bunk and he touched me lightly on the shoulder and he pointed to my locker. I remember having this almightly reaction, "oh NO it is not me...I have not used an alarm clock". I had my nose in the air thinking, "I am a considerate pilgrim, it of course would NEVER be me!".

It ends up back on the otherside of the Atlantic Ocean one of my children pressed a button on one of our Apple devices that said, "find my ipad"...and sure enough that awful pilgrim who was making all of this noise 44 days into this was none other than this considerate Pilgrim.

Here in the States we call that "a serving of humble pie"...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Lovely story, thank you :D

Noises in the night...and "the considerate Pilgrim"

Have yet to set foot on the Camino (plan to do so April/May, 2014. But I have done 1800 miles of the AT and slept in countless shelters and/or hostels. Snoring goes with the territory. If one cannot deal with other peoples' snoring, one should find other alternatives or simply stay home.

I'm an occasional light snorer, who is aware of it and always tries to not snore by sleeping on my side or wearing breathe-rites. However, should someone treat me as rudely as the woman described as having a hissy fit in another section of this forum, my redneckedness will probably get the better of me. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ha!

Since I am not the one there trying to get sleep, this is a funny story! Thank you for sharing. How embarrassing and humbling as you say. We have almost always serious posts here, and reading something with a bit of humor is always refreshing.

Muxia! Continue to Fisterre?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
mralisn said:
Ha!

Muxia! Continue to Fisterre?

I tried to copy your photo in Finesterre at the 0 mile marker (love your photo) ...mine looks nothing as cool as yours does.

I wasn't certain if you wondered had I made it to Finesterre...I had gone there with the group I ended up with and as I sadly watched them all board buses to return home I had one last mission. I had the ashes (or a scoop of each) of five precious pups I have lost over the years. I enjoyed Finesterre so much but it did not seem to the resting place that I had imagined for these ashes.

I was at the wonderful German restaurant in Finesterre that morning and it was raining galore, and even thundered, I decided to make the walk to Muxia alone...I got so lost and still to this day have no idea where I got off the track on a few spots. I pulled into Muxia a drenched rat but was welcomed by that lovely couple at Bella Muxia with open arms.

I miss the Camino...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you very much for the kindness of the photo at 0.00. What the shot shows is exactly how I felt after walking from Irun in 31 days in 2010. Whew! Absolutely drained.

How great you and your group made it to Fisterra and fully understand the sorrow which comes with departing. Totally admire your willingness to move on immediately in the rain to Muxia. What a great way to elevate the spirit after goodbyes.

Like you, I got lost on this part as well. It was in reverse (M->F), but of all the days in 3 walks this day was the 2nd worst. It was my last day from SJPdP->SdC->Muxia->Fisterra in 2012. Over 2 hours of ending up at the same wrong intersection of paths. Not fun at the time, yet now I'm laughing with full heart.

Just the same, I miss the Camino every day too.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back