• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nombre de Foro (Forum Name)

PEI_Heather

Canadian Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016 - Voie de la Nive
2012, 2016 - Frances
2013 - Portuguese
2012, 2013 - Finesterre & Muxia
It's been a loooong time since I posted any questions on the forum, but in my perusing and visual perambulations here, I've had one come bubbling up. I think I'll just ask and see what responses I get. Stories instead of really short (one or two word) answers would make the answers far more interesting, I think...

My forum name, PEI_Heather, is pretty telling: my name is Heather and I'm from, born and raised, Prince Edward Island (aka PEI), the smallest province of Canada.

(Please) Tell me (and everyone else) about why you chose your forum name. Some are really intriguing!

Thanks! I look forward to your answers!
Heather. From PEI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Me llamo Sailor. United States Navy Sailor for over three decades. Never did a port visit at Heather's hometown in PEI, but landed close enough at Gander [Newfoundland] a few times. I was observed by several forum members proudly wearing my ship's ballcap during my September-October 2017 camino [so, they know how I look like]. Wishing all caminantes a Feliz Navidad, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am a very lazy person and move pretty slowly these days. I also love the songs of Flanders and Swann. So it is very easy to see myself in their lyrics :)

Haha! That's amazing! I learned something new today indeed! I thought Bradypus was the name of your cat, for some reason. If I had have been a little bit more inquisitive, I'd have found out on Google that it is the genus of the sloth!
Great name, @Bradypus! I'm sure you are not as slow as you think. You would have a great partner in John 'The Penguin' Bingham, an American marathon runner who writes for Running World....he always ends his column with 'Waddle on, folks. Waddle on.' He takes his time when 'running', stops in for a capuccino here, delays his run for a chat there, and meanders across the finish line when he wants to!
Thanks for being the first off the post! (Haha! Not so slow after all, wha?!!)

I am a very lazy person and move pretty slowly these days. I also love the songs of Flanders and Swann. So it is very easy to see myself in their lyrics :)

Me llamo Sailor. United States Navy Sailor for over three decades. Never did a port visit at Heather's hometown in PEI, but landed close enough at Gander [Newfoundland] a few times. I was observed by several forum members proudly wearing my ship's ballcap during my September-October 2017 camino [so, they know how I look like]. Wishing all caminantes a Feliz Navidad, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Thanks for your story! So should we call you Cap'n Sailor or Bos'n Sailor or Admir'l Sailor, @Sailor?!

Nice that you were in Gander; the Newfoundlanders are grand people. I had friends who were from Gander, but left to go to university (where we met). Salt of the earth, even though not salts of the sea!
(My hometown of Charlottetown is just over 1100 km to Gander, so yes, in the big picture, close, but it takes about 20 hours to drive there from here, so in the little picture, I'd rather go by boat (or ship)! Hahaha!
Permission to leave ship, sir!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Interesting how many of these members from 2008 I don't recognize.

My surname is Fletcher, and I play some online games such as Lord of the Rings Online. Most of my characters seem to start with Fletch... and Fletchonides conjured up the image of a Leonides type Spartan holding the pass against a horde of invaders.

Although with the origin of my surname coming from Norman French une fleche (an arrow), and a fletcher being a profession in English as in "one who fletches or feathers arrows", my first character in most games tends to be some sort of bow-wielding character.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just replyed to the other thread.. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Gee, just looked through that thread @SabineP. I must admit that I miss a few of those veteran members, at least one has passed on and many others rarely check in if ever.

As I never answered the first time around here is my explanation:
LT are my initials and the fit is actually short for fitness. LTfit was the name I gave a team I led during a spinning marathon at a sports school where I worked. I was a fitness instructor/physiotherapist at the time, hence the fit.

I am still a physio and I guess all my Caminos keep me fit as well as relatively sane:)

I meant to put in my tuppence worth but don't know what happened. My name on the forum is a shortened local version of the name of my hometown. I just love the sound of many of the names used. I agree with Margaret Butterworth, sometimes it is better to have a certain privacy, and there is the private message option. I love Linkster's humorous reply!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mine's a contraction of my real name. I use the same for all of my internet forums that don't require the use of a full name.

Love this post, Heather! I had fun reading through the various creative, personal responses. My forum name was thought up in about two seconds as I quickly thought Camino Chris had a nice "ring" to it and easy to say. :)
If my given name had been Penelope, I doubt I would have chosen Camino Penelope...it just doesn't sound right.o_O

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can blame Ivar for mine :D.
I had trouble getting started and he kindly sorted me out and gave me my name.
Jill Salt
P. S. Nobody has bothered to invade my privacy either.

If my given name had been Penelope, I doubt I would have chosen Camino Penelope...it just doesn't sound right.o_O

It doesn't?? Now's my chance to grab CaminoPenelope!! LOL! Mine is an existing name I already use on every other social media platform, so just super easy to continue with it here. (Except Twitter, where it was too long so it ended up as MyLifeOnVacatio .... which still feels so abrupt!)

Fun thread! Buen Camino, all!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Heather, I have been in your neck of the woods on a cruise that stopped for a day in Charlottetown, PEI before heading up along the St. Lawrence seaway. A beautiful area you live in, but I will say, it was still quite chilly in late May!:oops:

. . . So should we call you Cap'n Sailor or Bos'n Sailor or Admir'l Sailor . . .
Ha! No, just Sailor, and that's the way it will look on my tombstone [Mi nombre, Sailor, United States Navy]. In reference to your "Permission to leave ship, sir!" we can try this . . . "Request permission to go ashore, Sir" and the answer from the Quarterdeck Watch would be "Permission granted" . . . and now you know the rest of the story!. To all caminantes, have a Feliz Navidad y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What an interesting thread. I'm Sixwheeler because I used to drive a Sixwheeler truck (3 axles) and started using it for my blog - The Sixwheeler Chronicles - and it just stuck so now I use it for a number of things; for example my Twitter name is @Sixwheeler although I do use my name there too.

Mina isn't my name but the name of one of my dogs, though come to think of it, that isn't her real name either, more like a nick name.

The Kamina bit is a play with words and letters. I love a good fire, and the German Kamin makes a nice mix up with the Spanish walk, he or she walks, camina.

I like the rhythm of my name.

Interesting how many of these members from 2008 I don't recognize.

My surname is Fletcher, and I play some online games such as Lord of the Rings Online. Most of my characters seem to start with Fletch... and Fletchonides conjured up the image of a Leonides type Spartan holding the pass against a horde of invaders.

Although with the origin of my surname coming from Norman French une fleche (an arrow), and a fletcher being a profession in English as in "one who fletches or feathers arrows", my first character in most games tends to be some sort of bow-wielding character.

And since when walking along a Camino path, we follow fleches jaunes while in France and fleches amarillas while in Spain, I'd say you have a pretty apt Camino name, Fletcher!

(Thanks Google Translate, haha!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Heather, I have been in your neck of the woods on a cruise that stopped for a day in Charlottetown, PEI before heading up along the St. Lawrence seaway. A beautiful area you live in, but I will say, it was still quite chilly in late May!:oops:

Hi Chris,
What May (year) were you here? It's hit and miss with that month--it could be cold and rainy or warm and rainy or warm and somewhat rainy and somewhat cloudy....or! Warm and sunny some of that time!
I'd suggest you try again, take another cruise that stops in Charlottetown but do so in August, September or early October. You'll get good warm weather and lots of festivals, including in September the International Shellfish Festival where lots of celebrity chefs descend on the Island for fun and food! Let me know when you're coming back this way; I'll take you to a non-touristy coffee shop!

Ha! No, just Sailor, and that's the way it will look on my tombstone [Mi nombre, Sailor, United States Navy]. In reference to your "Permission to leave ship, sir!" we can try this . . . "Request permission to go ashore, Sir" and the answer from the Quarterdeck Watch would be "Permission granted" . . . and now you know the rest of the story!. To all caminantes, have a Feliz Navidad y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Muchas gracias for the correction, Sailor! I guess I was closer than, "Hey dude! Can I get off the tub, I mean boat?" Close but no cigar!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It doesn't?? Now's my chance to grab CaminoPenelope!! LOL! Mine is an existing name I already use on every other social media platform, so just super easy to continue with it here. (Except Twitter, where it was too long so it ended up as MyLifeOnVacatio .... which still feels so abrupt!)

Fun thread! Buen Camino, all!
Just a little FYI...I just noticed on your avatar photo that we both have the exact same backpack.:)

Hi Chris,
What May (year) were you here? It's hit and miss with that month--it could be cold and rainy or warm and rainy or warm and somewhat rainy and somewhat cloudy....or! Warm and sunny some of that time!
I'd suggest you try again, take another cruise that stops in Charlottetown but do so in August, September or early October. You'll get good warm weather and lots of festivals, including in September the International Shellfish Festival where lots of celebrity chefs descend on the Island for fun and food! Let me know when you're coming back this way; I'll take you to a non-touristy coffee shop!
I think three years ago in late May. I hear PEI has a stunning, highly rated drive around the whole perimeter. Aww, thanks for the coffee invitation if I get back. In the meantime I seem to enjoy "hoofing it" Camino style. I start my 4th one in June on the LePuy this time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St
I think three years ago in late May. I hear PEI has a stunning, highly rated drive around the whole perimeter. Aww, thanks for the coffee invitation if I get back. In the meantime I seem to enjoy "hoofing it" Camino style. I start my 4th one in June on the LePuy this time.

Stop! I'm jealous!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I think you might be referring to the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Chris. PEI doesn't really have a specific roadway around the Island, and I've never ever heard anyone describing a stunning drive around the perimeter before. Our main roads actually run down the midline of the Island, with branches running off of them and secondary roads and tertiary roads beside or coming off those. We do have lovely drives, but you might chose to kayak around the province for a couple of weeks instead of trying to drive!

I think you might be referring to the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Chris. PEI doesn't really have a specific roadway around the Island, and I've never ever heard anyone describing a stunning drive around the perimeter before. Our main roads actually run down the midline of the Island, with branches running off of them and secondary roads and tertiary roads beside or coming off those. We do have lovely drives, but you might chose to kayak around the province for a couple of weeks instead of trying to drive!
You are so right! I should have googled and looked at a map before I responded. Yes, Cape Breton for sure...duh!

When a similar thread appeared a couple of years ago, I posted a long story about my forum name. The shorter version is....I won a country music dance contest years ago, and was presented with a fancifully written certificate bearing 'Movin Maggie'.
It fit my love of travel and still today....dancing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hey Heather...great post. My name originated when I was hiking the Appalachian Trail, in the Eastern USA, and everyone had a trail name. Bumpa was as close to grandpa as my grandkids could get and so I took it, and memories of them, to the walk. Just brought it along to the Camino as I thought it appropriate for an old guy in a kilt drifting along the Camino.

I lived in Tyne Valley with my parents for a short while and drift back occasionally.

Hey Heather...great post. My name originated when I was hiking the Appalachian Trail, in the Eastern USA, and everyone had a trail name. Bumpa was as close to grandpa as my grandkids could get and so I took it, and memories of them, to the walk. Just brought it along to the Camino as I thought it appropriate for an old guy in a kilt drifting along the Camino.

I lived in Tyne Valley with my parents for a short while and drift back occasionally.

By the way my email handle is jim.travellingman@...... Which I thought quite descriptive of my retired life.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back