• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Non Cell Phone Calls

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hello!

Is there any way to make calls from Spain to the US other than using a cell phone? Are there call centers or pay phones? I didn't want to take my cell phone, but I need to keep in touch with my family. Any ideas?

Barfry

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’ve seen a couple of pay phones and one Internet cafe, so I wouldn’t count on this being your way to contact home. We’ve been using VIBER and WHATSAPP to make virtually free internet phone calls. Perhaps you can bring an old smart phone or buy one here instead

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve seen a couple of pay phones and one Internet cafe, so I wouldn’t count on this being your way to contact home. We’ve been using VIBER and WHATSAPP to make virtually free internet phone calls. Perhaps you can bring an old smart phone or buy one here instead

I thought as much. Unfortunately my wife is a total technophobe and would never be able to handle anything like that. Thanks anyway!

I thought as much. Unfortunately my wife is a total technophobe and would never be able to handle anything like that. Thanks anyway!
Barry
Put some thought into taking a smart phone. Even an old one. You can take it without your sim and buy a cheap E10 sim in Spain or it will work on wifi ‘without any sim’ by the way. Just that the E10 sim gives you security of making a call if you need to ring ahead to a hotel etc.

But getting back to original ‘contact family’ post ....
...if you get someone to help you load ‘whatsapp ‘ on your phone and likewise on phones of loved ones at home who you want to contact...,,,
Ringing home ....if you are connected to wifi., is free completely ., and making these calls is as simple as calls you do now. Once you open the app ... you will see those you have on your phone who are also connected to whatsapp... just tap the person you want and you’re connecting to home...

Check it out and practise at home .. get used to it there and it will work the same from Spain as long as you’re on wifi.

Good luck.
Annie

Plus you’ll have ‘a camera ‘ (your smart phone ).. you can then send pics direct from your iPhone pics album to the ‘whatsapp’ contacts

I used Skype for some local and most international calls, obviously you need a reasonable internet connection, most connections would not support video. I considered WhatsApp and Viber but they want access to all your contacts and per their terms and conditions can capture and use that info.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you use Viber you can call landlines for just two cents a minute by buying Viber credit. $5 worth of credit should be more than enough for the length of your Camino.

If you use an Apple smartphone, the native FaceTime app supports voice-only calls over either Wi-Fi or your data stream, without using the cellular voice service. In this way, the calls are usually free. You do not need to add other apps.

This is what I have been using for three years now to call home from Spain. In my experience, it seems to works best if you are on someone else's free Wi-Fi, rather than using your phone's native voice capability.

However, I have had times when I THOUGHT I was making a free voice call over Wi-Fi, only to find out that my phone used my voice package. The discovery was the extra amount in my normally flat rate bill some weeks after returning home. Evidently the smartphone is in fact smart. It will find the best available signal and use it to place the call. If the Wi-Fi is weak, it will automatically use the voice circuitry.

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you use an Apple smartphone, the native FaceTime app supports voice-only calls over either Wi-Fi or your data stream, without using the cellular voice service. In this way, the calls are usually free. You do not need to add other apps.

This is what I have been using for three years now to call home from Spain. In my experience, it seems to works best if you are on someone else's free Wi-Fi, rather than using your phone's native voice capability.

However, I have had times when I THOUGHT I was making a free voice call over Wi-Fi, only to find out that my phone used my voice package. The discovery was the extra amount in my normally flat rate bill some weeks after returning home. Evidently the smartphone is in fact smart. It will find the best available signal and use it to place the call. If the Wi-Fi is weak, it will automatically use the voice circuitry.

Hope this helps.
That situation can be avoided by putting the phone in airplane mode, then turning just the wifi back on.

Hello!

Is there any way to make calls from Spain to the US other than using a cell phone? Are there call centers or pay phones? I didn't want to take my cell phone, but I need to keep in touch with my family. Any ideas?

Barfry

Two years ago, I made many calls to the USA, from my Android tablet, via Facebook phone, costing nothing. I did not carry a cellphone. It did require an internet connection, which was 98 percent available when needed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
But, you had to join Facebook...no thanks... I think I shall try Trecile's idea first...second and third...

Last edited:
Barry
Put some thought into taking a smart phone. Even an old one. You can take it without your sim and buy a cheap E10 sim in Spain or it will work on wifi ‘without any sim’ by the way. Just that the E10 sim gives you security of making a call if you need to ring ahead to a hotel etc.

But getting back to original ‘contact family’ post ....
...if you get someone to help you load ‘whatsapp ‘ on your phone and likewise on phones of loved ones at home who you want to contact...,,,
Ringing home ....if you are connected to wifi., is free completely ., and making these calls is as simple as calls you do now. Once you open the app ... you will see those you have on your phone who are also connected to whatsapp... just tap the person you want and you’re connecting to home...

Check it out and practise at home .. get used to it there and it will work the same from Spain as long as you’re on wifi.

Good luck.
Annie

Plus you’ll have ‘a camera ‘ (your smart phone ).. you can then send pics direct from your iPhone pics album to the ‘whatsapp’ contacts

But these WhatsApp calls need to be calls to another mobile phone, right? You couldn’t call a landline?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Barry
Re your question - I believe so. ( ie. that whatsapp is only a mobile app).
it’s unusual nowadays (in oz anyway ) for people not to have a mobile. Although I say that and 3 in ‘my’ direct family have old mobiles ., not smart phones and as such don’t have ability to use the ‘app’. either.

If you don’t intend to take your own smartphone though., it may be difficult to call home cheaply.
You should be able to contact if necessary though. Bigger places I’ve passed through have decent sized post offices, I’m sure you could find a phone in them.
Hotels if you stay in one, ditto to land lines.

Occasionally, you’ll find older places along the way that may still have an internet connection and you could email or possibly use a Facebook ‘messenger’ call to home. (As above by @trecile )
Nothing’s impossible.
Eg. Sometimes a hospitalero/a; may allow you quick use of the albergue computer if you explain. ( Most albergues nowadays have to load data to Guardia civil daily and may have a computer available somewhere ).....
or. You may end up walking with someone who is aware of your need and will let you use their tablet or smartphone.

Good luck and keep researching.
Annie

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.