• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

?Non-Cliffy options for Camino Norte

Zunigandi

Time of past OR future Camino
Doing Camino Norte this July - August (2019)- first time
Hi everyone,

I’m working on mapping my camino Norte trip but I’m struggling on how to ensure I’m not taking any of the high cliff areas that folks reference as intense. I’ll be solo and rather not get lost/fall on high altitudes. Blue route vs Red, right? Ah help please

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Speaking as a really uncoordinated person, I didn't have any scary moments of the teetering-on-cliffs type on the Norte. Hard, difficult moments, yes. But there was always a foot or three where there was a cliff, that separated the path from the fall. And I used my sticks. I think the people that we read about, that have fallen with serious consequences, were probably walking in the dark. Many things are a lot different in the dark.
HTH
Buen camino

Stick close to the N634 (for the main part not that busy since the building of new motorways) and you'll avoid the cliffs - the alternatives are clearly displayed in the wise pilgrim guide

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just follow the yellow arrow waymarkers, rather than using an app.

An app may direct you to different, alternative paths .... the waymarking will not. Ditto for a guidebook ... I used the Ciccerone Camino del Norte book, and whilst it wasnt perfect, it was fairly clear with routes. Dont blindly trust apps.

You really dont need to think too much about mapping a route out, taking each day as it comes and following the arrows is a far better choice than trying to overplan stages now using an app or other gadgets.

Following the fellow arrows wil keep you away from all cliffs I think. The red white arrows ( mostly the e9 route) are more beautiful, have less asphalt and are as far as I remember also not dangerous at all. In some threads in this forum you can find descriptions ove more dangerous trails, but they are I think more local trails that are sought out by more adventurous walkers. In your case I would plan a day ahead and seek information for the next day route on the internet, the hospitaleros, and fellowtravellers

In your case I would plan a day ahead and seek information for the next day route on the internet, the hospitaleros, and fellowtravellers

This is the key advice really. This where the planning should be done, and is more frequently done.

Complicated routes or dangers of any sort would often be pointed out by a hospitalero. Fellow travellers have ideas and recommendations too. Weather, how strong you feel, and the friendships you make decide the route for the next day more often than not.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Speaking as a really uncoordinated person, I didn't have any scary moments of the teetering-on-cliffs type on the Norte. Hard, difficult moments, yes. But there was always a foot or three where there was a cliff, that separated the path from the fall. And I used my sticks. I think the people that we read about, that have fallen with serious consequences, were probably walking in the dark. Many things are a lot different in the dark.
HTH
Buen camino
Thanks! I’m not world’s best with heights but glad to know there’s space for error- also not the most coordinated :)

This is the key advice really. This where the planning should be done, and is more frequently done.

Complicated routes or dangers of any sort would often be pointed out by a hospitalero. Fellow travellers have ideas and recommendations too. Weather, how strong you feel, and the friendships you make decide the route for the next day more often than not.
Thanks very much, I’ll def check with hospitalero

Following the fellow arrows wil keep you away from all cliffs I think. The red white arrows ( mostly the e9 route) are more beautiful, have less asphalt and are as far as I remember also not dangerous at all. In some threads in this forum you can find descriptions ove more dangerous trails, but they are I think more local trails that are sought out by more adventurous walkers. In your case I would plan a day ahead and seek information for the next day route on the internet, the hospitaleros, and fellowtravellers
Very relieved to hear this, thank you! I'll plan for sure.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.