• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Non-fiction, non-autobiographical books on the Camino

Boanerges

Time of past OR future Camino
--
Hello,

I'm looking for some insight into some English-language historical books on the Camino I may have missed. I am a big history junkie and even did some graduate work on aspects of the Camino. I have read:

1.) Gitlitz and Davidson's endlessly fascinating The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago. I even toted it all along the Frances and felt it was worth the weight.
2.) William Melczer's The Pilgrim's Guide to Santiago, which is the English critical edition of the Picaud's 12th- century guide, and is worth a read simply for the voluminous and detailed Introduction to the text, as well as his footnotes to the text itself. Lots of historical goodies impossible impossible to find elsewhere.
3.) Nancy Frey's Pilgrim Stories, which, while a work of sociology now almost two decades old (and which I think was her doctoral dissertation), has a lot of good material covering the differences between the Camino and other Christian pilgrimages as well as general sociological material on pilgrimage itself as a human phenomenon.

A quick search shows me that there are almost as many Camino travelogues as pilgrims--but what other books of a more historical, sociological-cultural, or theological bent exits out there that you would recommend?

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
See the many citations in this earlier forum post which is still relevant.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/books-on-the-camino-frances.802/

Here are some basic camino history books in French which you might also find useful:

Barret, Pierre, et Jean-Noel Gurgand, Priez Pour Nous a Compostelle, Paris, Hachette, 1978;
Gicquel, Bernard, La Legende de Compostelle, Paris, Tallandier, s.d.;
Pericard-Mea, Denise,
Compostelle et Cultes de Saint Jacques au Moyen Age, Paris, PUF, 2000;
Rucquoi, Adeline et al., Saint Jacques et la France, Paris, Editions du Cerf, 2003.

Happy research and Buen camino!

Hello,

I'm looking for some insight into some English-language historical books on the Camino I may have missed. I am a big history junkie and even did some graduate work on aspects of the Camino. I have read:

1.) Gitlitz and Davidson's endlessly fascinating The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago. I even toted it all along the Frances and felt it was worth the weight.
2.) William Melczer's The Pilgrim's Guide to Santiago, which is the English critical edition of the Picaud's 12th- century guide, and is worth a read simply for the voluminous and detailed Introduction to the text, as well as his footnotes to the text itself. Lots of historical goodies impossible impossible to find elsewhere.
3.) Nancy Frey's Pilgrim Stories, which, while a work of sociology now almost two decades old (and which I think was her doctoral dissertation), has a lot of good material covering the differences between the Camino and other Christian pilgrimages as well as general sociological material on pilgrimage itself as a human phenomenon.

A quick search shows me that there are almost as many Camino travelogues as pilgrims--but what other books of a more historical, sociological-cultural, or theological bent exits out there that you would recommend?

Thanks!
W. Melczer The Pilgrim's Guide to Santiago? Easy Peasy
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...me-_-Results&an=William+Melczer&tn=&kn=&isbn=

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
One of my favorites: "The Age of Pilgrimage, The Medieval Journey to God" Jonathan Sumption
"Saint James in Spain" T. D. Kendrick interesting
"The Pilgrimage to Santiago" Edwin Mullins interesting
"Santiago de Compostela" Marilyn Stokstad
Not Camino but extremely interesting "The Face of Spain" Gerald Brenan
Finish this lot then we'll talk

I've just ordered "The Age of Pilgrimage, The Medieval Journey to God" by Jonathan Sumption on the basis of his recent quote about on the effects of COVID-19 and the lockdown. Being a medieval scholar, he may have a wider appreciation of plague and pestilence - as well as pilgrimage.

What sort of life do we think we are protecting? There is more to life than the avoidance of death. Life is a drink with friends. Life is a crowded football match or a live concert. Life is a family celebration with children and grandchildren. Life is companionship, an arm around one's back, laughter or tears shared at less than two metres. These things are not just optional extras. They are life itself. They are fundamental to our humanity, to our existence as social beings. Of course death is permanent, whereas joy may be temporarily suspended. But the force of that point depends on how temporary it really is.

As an aside, I have also been able to witness him in court as a Supreme Court judge. Sharp, erudite and looks like Doc from "Back to the Future"

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back