A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Non seafood availability on coastal route?

Kev

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sept-Oct 2015
Camino Portuguese Sept-Oct 2018
My wife and I are leaving on the 22nd from Porto and we are curious as to the availability of non-seafood options. There is a potential allergen issue with my wife, so all seafood is off the menu. We are still undecided on exact path, going to let the Camino direct us, but do have interest in walking at least partially along the coast and in my experience, coastal areas heavily favor seafood.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP-Leon (15)
SJPdP-SdC-Finisterre-Muxia (16)
Lisbon-SdC (17)

Le Puy-Pamplona (19)
You should find Chicken & Pork options almost everywhere you go. I can’t recall anywhere we ate that were strictly seafood only.

You are likely to find pork and beef on almost every Portuguese restaurant menu. In my experience, chicken is almost never on the menu; most residential neighborhoods have a place or two where you can buy roasted chickens (with piri piri sauce if you like spicy), but for some reason chicken is not a popular restaurant food. You are also sure to find bacalhau dishes, which always means something made from dried salted cod. Not sure how dried and salted would affect the allergy issue. Bom caminho!

Camino(s) past & future
May 2013 Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela.
Camino Portuguese Porto to SdeC May 31 2017.
I had the best spaghetti Bolognese at the beach in Laburge just before we settled in at S.Tiago school house albergue. Can't recall the name of the place but I did remember to take a picture

Kev

Camino(s) past & future
A bummer on the lack of chicken, but glad there is an abundance of Non-seafood options. Thank you all for your responses.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP-Leon (15)
Lisbon-SdC (17)

Le Puy-Pamplona (19)
A bummer on the lack of chicken, but glad there is an abundance of Non-seafood options. Thank you all for your responses.
Don’t worry, I think you’ll probably be able to find chicken from time to time...
1536472078824.jpeg

Don’t worry, I think you’ll probably be able to find chicken from time to time...
View attachment 46170
Great picture! Where did you find that place? It reminds me that there is a roast chicken place called Bomjardin, close to Restauradores in Lisbon, where that is all they serve. It’s touristy but yummy and cheap. But unfortunately the OP won’t be there.

I eat a lot of chicken and am always on the lookout in Portugal for good restaurants with chicken, so if you remember any specific names, please share! There are some Indian, Goan, Angolan, etc restaurants in Lisbon with good chicken dishes but I’ve had trouble finding it in what I guess I’d call “Portuguese” places.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP-Leon (15)
Lisbon-SdC (17)

Le Puy-Pamplona (19)
Great picture! Where did you find that place? It reminds me that there is a roast chicken place called Bomjardin, close to Restauradores in Lisbon, where that is all they serve. It’s touristy but yummy and cheap. But unfortunately the OP won’t be there.

I eat a lot of chicken and am always on the lookout in Portugal for good restaurants with chicken, so if you remember any specific names, please share! There are some Indian, Goan, Angolan, etc restaurants in Lisbon with good chicken dishes but I’ve had trouble finding it in what I guess I’d call “Portuguese” places.
This was in a BBQ restaurant in Vila Franca de Xira, called A Canoa. *approx* Av. Pedro Víctor 94. They BBQ the chicken right in the front window, so it should be easy to spot. Or just follow your nose...

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP-Leon (15)
Lisbon-SdC (17)

Le Puy-Pamplona (19)
You should be able to get a steak too. We ordered a steak in this place, and the lady took out this enormous lump of meat and carved off 2 huge steaks in front of us, then took them away to be BBQd. In Valada.

1536547045248.jpeg

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP-Leon (15)
Lisbon-SdC (17)

Le Puy-Pamplona (19)
Sorry OP, I realise I’ve posted photos of food in towns Pre-Porto... But they’re just illustrative - By the time we were past Porto, I was taking fewer photos of food, and most of those I did take were of Seafood (we’re fortunate not to share your allergies...)

Kev

Camino(s) past & future
Thank you all for your input. I am much more comfortable walking along the coastal route with my wife with the knowledge that I don't have to worry as much about her potential food allergies.

Camino(s) past & future
Future (2019) Portuguese.
My wife and I are leaving on the 22nd from Porto and we are curious as to the availability of non-seafood options. There is a potential allergen issue with my wife, so all seafood is off the menu. We are still undecided on exact path, going to let the Camino direct us, but do have interest in walking at least partially along the coast and in my experience, coastal areas heavily favor seafood.
Besides the nearly ubiquitous "Frango" places (Frango is the BBQ Chix) we saw all over Portugal (not walking though) there were many open air and permanent markets in towns and cities that always had several places to buy wonderful Jamon and Cheese along with fresh bread. Chorizo there is unlike the stuff we have in US as it is often cured and ready to eat as is, no cooking needed. More like a pepperoni. Pork seemed to be served in every single establishment we entered, including places that specialized in grilled Sardines. In markets you can ask (even in Portuguese, Comer agora, I think) if what you are buying can be eaten as is.

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.7%