• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Non walker possibly accompanying me??

netty

Hi all, just wanted to throw this one out there to see if anyone could help with info/experiences....I'm going to do my next little leg of the Camino Frances in early September (St Jean to Pamplona). I have an 'other half' who could do with a holiday but a bockety hip means he wouldn't be able to walk much with me and certainly couldn't tackle the upwards stretch from St Jean to Roncesvalles. My question is - do any of you think it would be possible for him to bus it (or cadge a lift with one of the luggage transporters) from SJPdP to Roncesvalles? And also, if needed and if his hip is too painful to continue along the rest of my mini-route, will it be possible for him to go on by bus or taxi and wait for me in each village if need be?

I suppose really I'm just wondering about the logistics of public/private transport along this stretch and also if anyone else has brought a non-walker along with them and did they find it boring while waiting for you to finish walking each day??

Thanks in advance for your help/thoughts.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are several buses a day from SJPdP to Pamplona, some of them stop at Roncesvalles so that will not be a problem. If your partner has a Credential he can also sleep in albergues.
The question is: will that be fun? You are walking most of the day, you are becoming member of a 'Camino family' with whom you walk and talk. Most of the time it is great to have a drink or a meal together after a long day of walking, and then suddenly your partner appears who is not part of that common feeling. Will that be fun for him? Being on this own all day, waiting for you to arrive, needing your attention, while your new friends are having fun together .....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Certainly, he should be able to go by bus or taxi from SJPP to Roncesvalles. I have definitely heard of people doing similar, further on in the Camino, so it should be doable using buses and/or taxis. Another option might be for him to start each day walking and, when he has gone as far as he is able, calling a taxi to take him the rest of the way for that day.

It does mean a little more planning and a little less flexibility. If he is going to be using bus or taxi to cover the entire distance for the day, he might not be welcome in municipal or parochial albergues. Private albergues might be more flexible in this regard.

I think there might be several other advantages for him to walk as far as he can each day, though. It will facilitate his inclusion in a camino "family", if you become part of one, as Ianinam suggests. Also, he might find that, as the camino progresses, he is able to walk further and further. By the time you reach Sarria, all of the biggest hills are in the past. If he can walk the whole way from there, he can get a Compostela, too.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
While on the Camino Portuguese, my husband developed blisters and stopped walking. He wasn’t that much into it to begin with. He took a taxi to the destination town. He complained that he was in town all day, bored and then wanting lots of attention when I arrived. It was a bummer all the way around. It can be done but it will definitely affect your Camino experience.

will it be possible for him to go on by bus or taxi and wait for me in each village if need be?

Hi, it is a lot easier to start off the day in a bus or a taxi, and walk the last 5 or so kilometres, than to walk 10 or so kilometres and then try and find a bus or taxi in the middle of nowhere for the last 5 or so kilometres. Also the taxi fare will probably be higher if he has to pick you up in the middle of nowhere.
Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The OP is planning to walk from St Jean to Pamplona - only a few days walk, including the first difficult day or two where public transport is limited.

Maybe it makes more sense for him to see Netty off in SJPP, perhaps taxi up to Orisson for lunch with her, spend another night in SJPP, get a bus to Pamplona, and sightsee there. Alternatively, they stay in touch by phone and he takes each day as it comes - taxiing or busing ahead. That would be more interesting and easier if he speaks some Spanish or at least is the kind of person who can enjoy reading, watching people, chatting with miscellaneous passing pilgrims, etc.

I guess it depends how much effort you really want to put into, sometimes, complex logistics. Your proposition is do-able with careful planning and some expense. Or your 'other half' could just make their way to Pamplona and wait for you to walk there.
Pamplona is a great city and has much to enjoy even outside of San Fermin. Certainly enough to keep someone interested in its possibilities engaged for 4 or 5 days. And it would provide the 'holiday' they 'could do' with which frolicking with public transport, even Spanish amazingly efficient public transport, will not provide.

Hi all, just wanted to throw this one out there to see if anyone could help with info/experiences....I'm going to do my next little leg of the Camino Frances in early September (St Jean to Pamplona). I have an 'other half' who could do with a holiday but a bockety hip means he wouldn't be able to walk much with me and certainly couldn't tackle the upwards stretch from St Jean to Roncesvalles. My question is - do any of you think it would be possible for him to bus it (or cadge a lift with one of the luggage transporters) from SJPdP to Roncesvalles? And also, if needed and if his hip is too painful to continue along the rest of my mini-route, will it be possible for him to go on by bus or taxi and wait for me in each village if need be?

I suppose really I'm just wondering about the logistics of public/private transport along this stretch and also if anyone else has brought a non-walker along with them and did they find it boring while waiting for you to finish walking each day??

You might consider walking from Pamplona to Logrono, instead... Public transportation on those stages is cheap and easy....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Express Bouricott is on the online. They can take you from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles, or Pamplona. But they cannot start a journey in Spain.
Try their website. In 2011 Caroline took me from S J P d P to Pamplona.
Highly recommended..

. If your partner has a Credential he can also sleep in albergues. .....

Maybe private albergues will let a motorized pilgrim stay, but not donativo albergues. You have to walk, bike, or ride a horse to get in those, and a lot of them won't accept bags sent ahead either.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Would having your darling rent a car and drive be a better solution?
He would at least be able to be a bit of a tourist while you were walking.
Maybe even carry your pack if needed.

I have spoken with several people who were accompanied by non-walkers. While a few of them had cars, the others were able to cobble together journeys with the local bus system-- often there was just one a day, and so this needed to be planned carefully-- or with taxis. Their innkeepers were pretty helpful and would usually set up arrangements for them. None of them were staying in albergues, partly because donativos do not receive non-walkers.

Yes, I believe that is doable, it just takes some logistical planning. It will effect your Camino but how both of you choose to effect it is up to you. Your partner has many options including where to stay, spending an extra day in a special place, riding a horse, bike, taking a cab/bus/ride share and yes occasionally a bag carrier will give you a ride. If comfortable he could even rent a car and carry your bags for you and perhaps others. If you both want it, it can become a memorable experience for both of you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In 2001, on my first camino, my mom and me were on pilgrimage. I walked she took buses.

It worked out well. Use your cells to keep in contact.
Did you stay in Albergues - was there any difficulty , dogma or animosity?

There are several buses a day from SJPdP to Pamplona, some of them stop at Roncesvalles so that will not be a problem. If your partner has a Credential he can also sleep in albergues.
The question is: will that be fun? You are walking most of the day, you are becoming member of a 'Camino family' with whom you walk and talk. Most of the time it is great to have a drink or a meal together after a long day of walking, and then suddenly your partner appears who is not part of that common feeling. Will that be fun for him? Being on this own all day, waiting for you to arrive, needing your attention, while your new friends are having fun together .....
yes, I have similar concerns. Food for thought... thank you!

@netty, yes, it's doable to cover this short leg by bus or taxi.
  • From SJPP to Roncesvalles: Express Bourricot but there are also other taxis stationed in SJPP
  • From Roncesvalles to Pamplona: taxis stationed in or near Roncesvalles for the first part, taxis stationed in or near Pamplona for the second part; or use the local bus connection, I believe the timetable is here, so it's quite convenient as the bus leaves daily in the morning except on Sundays when there is no service; closer to Pamplona, you can use city buses.
The Tourist Office Navarra has excellent information in English about public transport for the area Roncesvalles-Pamplona as well as a list of telephone numbers for taxis: http://www.turismo.navarra.es/eng/organice-viaje/como-llegar/autobuses.htm and http://www.turismo.navarra.es/eng/organice-viaje/como-llegar/taxis.htm

Buen camino.
Very helpful, thank you!

Thank you all so much, as always this site is a fount of information and kindness. Bit more planning to do but it just might be workable - roll on September!

Express Bouricott is on the online. They can take you from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles, or Pamplona. But they cannot start a journey in Spain.
Try their website. In 2011 Caroline took me from S J P d P to Pamplona.
Highly recommended..
Yes, this is right
Expressbourricot will take your other half from SJPDP to Roncesvelles on the baggage transport bus ....not sure about the rest of the journey though in Spain ...cost is much less than a taxi also.
Either call Caroline on her mobile and arrange beforehand..or maybe it can be done online .
Also possible to call into their office just down the street from the pilgrim office when you arrive in st. Jean

Hope you enjoy your break....." Where's there's a will...there's a way"
Best wishes
Annette

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@netty , your circumstances mirror what my UK rellies tell me is a common practice in both Scotland and England.

A non-walker drives the group to the start point, collects at an agreed point to drive to that nights accomodation. Next morning drives the walkers to that days start point. Repeat until finished. And the walkers only need a light day pack!!!

Using that model your arrive in Pamplona, hire a car there and journey to Saint-Jean together. And catch up at agreed points each day, or you both have phones with SIMs and use text to arrange the stopping point.

An alternative is the 'other half' samples the sangria (or whatever) in Pamplona (and discovers all the points of interest to show you on your arrival) for the three days (or so) it takes you to arrive there. If you both have a SIM with data (and use WhatsApp or similar) he might get a bus to, say, the last bus stop on Avenida Serapio Huici, Villava on the north-eatern end of Pamplona (right on the Camino route) and you walk together the last 5 km into the centre of Pamplona.This is dead flat except for the rise from the river to the gate through the wall nearest the Cathedal.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

My husband and I finished our Camino a couple of weeks ago. Mike is not a big walker so he enjoyed the challenge each day to see how he could do his 5 miles while I did 15. He bused, he took a train, taxied and even got lifts from strangers. He is a “people person” and he did “his Camino” - there is no right or wrong way, and he was able to enjoy it as was I without having to worry about it being stressful for him. We are both almost 80.

When I went from SJPdP to Pamplona in 2012(sorry got the date wrong last time !), Caroline quoted 84 euros, which was more than the bus or train but much less hassle.
However when I was picked up, there were 2 Australians in the back seat also going to Pamplona.
When this happens Caroline always takes the full fare and divides it between the number of passengers, so I ended up paying 24 euros and she would not take any more even though we went right to the other side of the city to find my hotel
If the service is still as good, then I cannot recommend her services more highly.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi again Netty, first off I love your name it always makes me smile as that is what my Mom went by. If you gen get your partner in Albergues that would be fantastic as it would help him get into the "Camino" spirit and get to know the people you are walking with. Most people aren't ignorant and are understanding about someone not being able to walk much, it is a very inclusive environment. I did see some signs that stated that beds would be first given to walkers, bikers, horse riders ect. before people traveling by motorized vehicle so that may be something you have to watch fore. The only negative remark made to me was by some lady when I asked in a restaurant for the wifi password and she snapped at me that true Pilgrims don't use wifi. Her opinion only, don't let a random negative person effect both of your journeys. You two will have a wonderful time, who knows how much your husband will be able to walk if any but the fact he wants to join you and experience this with you is fantastic. My husband did not think he was able to walk the daily distance and we had planned that he would walk as much as he could and bus the rest, end result was we started with smaller distances then grew to averaging mid 20km distances and he did the whole thing, so you never know.

My dh has a bad back and can't walk any distance, so we rented a car and he did his own thing daily while I walked. I carried a day pack, and joked that "ello es mi Jacotrans." We stayed at casas rurales and small hotels, which obviously created a different experience than the albergue experience, but we both had a grand time and are looking forward to doing it again in August, this time on the Portuguese! Two bonuses for me: I could decide how far I wanted to walk and he would pick me up/take me back there so I was always starting where I'd left off the day before, and he generally had the wine waiting. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Hi,
I brought my husband two years on the Camino. We rented a car and he met me along the way for lunch or just to say hello. He loved exploring on his own. We stayed in all kinds of places and everyone was was happy to have him. He would even park and walk backwards to walk with me the last mile or so on a few days when it was possible. We had so much fun and we are coming back again so I can finish my Camino.

Not a problem. Taxis are everywhere.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back