• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Nontoxic/Natural remedies for el Camino! Medicine kit!

caminomarie-o

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2018
Hey guys!

Traveling August 2018;

So I am into more natural medicine and limiting toxins... so does anyone have a list of medications to bring + bed bug/blister remedies?! Homeopathics and just less 'toxic' things?

My current medicine kit ideas:
-bandaids (small + medium + large)
-arnica ~ muscular sprains and bruises (ibuprofen substitute)
-alba un-petroleum jelly ~ to rub on feet each night
-thursday plantation tea tree antiseptic cream ~ to rub on cuts and blisters
- charcoal ~ to deal with potential stomach + potential bowel issues
-forces of nature 1) nerve pain, 2) athlete's foot, 3) joint pain, and 3) eczema essential oils ~ found at TJ Maxx really cheap
-lavender + peppermint essential oils
-kavinace ultra pm ~ sleep aid
-compeed//imnifix for blisters [ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR EITHER? Not really sure what they are but read about them]

-also Sea to Summit Coolmax Insect Repellent sleeping bag (so that I do not really have to spray my stuff with that Permetherin)

Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey guys!

Traveling August 2018;

So I am into more natural medicine and limiting toxins... so does anyone have a list of medications to bring + bed bug/blister remedies?! Homeopathics and just less 'toxic' things?

-forces of nature 1) nerve pain, 2) athlete's foot, 3) joint pain, and 3) eczema essential oils ~ found at TJ Maxx really cheap
-compeed//imnifix for blisters [ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR EITHER? Not really sure what they are but read about them]

-also Sea to Summit Coolmax Insect Repellent sleeping bag (so that I do not really have to spray my stuff with that Permetherin)

Thanks!

Hi, caminomarie. Welcome to the forum.

There are a goodly number of threads about first aid items and kits that may be informative. These can be found using the search engine. The same applies to blisters and the Compeed pros and cons.

Also, your Sea to Summit bag is pre-treated with Permethrin, which is what Sea to Summit calls its 'Insect Shield'.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hmm, petroleum jelly: aficionados tend to rub it on their feet in the morning not at night. It's supposed to reduce friction between your toes. Better fitting boots might save you having to carry the tin.
Tea Tree ointment: most brands are unsuitable for use on broken skin or open wounds. Check your brand.
Charcoal: practice ingesting, it can take some swallowing. Rest and plenty of fluids / rehydration salts is often a better bet.
Essential oils: smell nice, are often fairly toxic and require careful prescription and application. May cause unintended harm to others exposed to high concentrations.
Kavinace: half an hour on google, a pen and some paper to write a pro/con list might help you consider whether that is worth carrying. Ear plugs and an eye mask work for most of us and don't cause the intestinal tract disturbances that would otherwise justify the charcoal.

You might surmise from the above that I have some sort of antipathy to 'natural' remedies. Let me assure you I don't. Arnica is great for trauma, but it isn't an analgesic, as Iboprufen is, so it isn't going to take the pain away, it will, over time, help your muscle tissues to heal themselves.
A small first-aid kit for dealing with the every day traumas of outdoor life is worth carrying - a few band aids or other blister covers, an anti-histamine for bites and stings, a couple of pain-killers and some rehydration salts. Unless you are a qualified First-Aider or a qualified practitioner leave the rest at home.

A few days in my first Camino some beautiful women pilgrims, whose souls I bless to this day, gave me a whole pack of homeopatic Traumeel tablets for my arthritic, knee, foot and all other pain related Camino ills. Produced by Heel in Belgium . Still my first choice. http://www.traumeel.com/. Keep in mind weight of your total medicine pack - every gram counts - I wouldn't pack things I can buy from a pharmacy on the way if needed, such as foot creams or conventional pain relief.

Last edited:
From your list, I'd leave the essential oils and the kavinace at home. You will probably not need them, or even have the opportunity to use them (essential oils would need a basin of some sort, right?). Remember that avoiding extra weights is VERY important along the camino. Same with the Forces of Nature: do you normally have those issues? Remember to pack for your needs, not your fears ;)

Also, the least natural things you carry, the least trouble you will have going through Spanish Customs and declaring stuff.

The other ones seem ok, if you are used to them. As mentioned before, you may consider using the petroleum jelly during the day, to avoid friction, instead of at night.

Also, teas are very good for a lot of issues you may have along the way. They are not hard to find along the trail, just be aware that people may prepare it in bizarre ways! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Definitely keep it light. My 1st Camino I ditched a bunch of 1st aid stuff after a few days. Mainly I kept the foot care stuff and left everything else except a couple bandaids and ibuprofen behind. My main issue is plantar facitis, so kept the ibuprofen for that. For blisters, I get them on the side of my heels. I've tried lots of preventatives and not been able to find the right solution. I've figured out my toes - silicone toe "socks", but the solution for blisters on my heels eludes me. When I get them, I lance and drain them, use iodine to disinfect (or whatever it does to keep germs away), and protect them with gauze and tape. Then, when they are starting to heal, I put a compeed patch and leave it on until it falls off. I didn't actually need anything else - well, until I got a cold and then I bought some cough drops.

Hey guys!

Traveling August 2018;

Thanks!
I use essential oils and have recently had a lot of success treating inflammation with a combination of frankincense, copaiba and wintergreen oils (recent tailbone and knee injuries). I am putting together an essential oil kit based on evidence-based studies to help with inflammation, muscle and joint pain and digestion. I haven't used traditional medicine for...years...

For any digestive issues I use triphala powder or tablets, an Ayurvedic remedy that does not create dependence.

For knee problems I use rock/kenesiology tape to provide extra support.

If you add tea tree oil (or lemongrass oil) to your lavender and peppermint you probably wouldn't need the antiseptic cream. Also lavender can help you sleep so you might not need the Kavinace (having said that, I have no clue what kavinace is).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back